Start by marking “True Highland Spirit (Highlander #3)” as Want to Read:
True Highland Spirit (Highlander #3)

True Highland Spirit (Highlander #3)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  43 reviews
A steamy adventure set amidst the chaos of 14th century Scotland, where clans jockeyed for political prominence, and the French and English vied against each other in a never ending threat to Scottish autonomy. A feisty laird's daughter, Morrigan McNab, holds the secret to the stolen relic sought by French knight Sir Dragonet. Attraction sparks between the unlikely pair as ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about True Highland Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Highland Spirit

Dawn
Morrigan McNab is a woman on a mission to save her clan from starvation. She dresses as a man and participates in raids with her brother to keep food on the table for her people. To do this Morrigan has believed herself to be unworthy of anything. She no longer thinks of herself as a lady and while she wishes for a home with a husband and children Morrigan believes that her past will cloud any decent man’s judgment. Sir Jaques Dragonet is a French man on a mission in Scotland. The Dragons secret ...more
Heather Book Savvy Babe
Amanda Forester scores another highlander hit with True Highland Spirit. Morrigan McNab is no lady, she is a warrior and leader of her clan. Ever since she was young, Morrigan was good with a sword and better suited to the life of a warrior than a lady. Morrigan trained as a warrior and helped her brother organize raids to steal provisions for their struggling clan. Dressing and acting as a boy, Morrigan never thought herself a lady, until a certain minstrel stole a kiss. Morrigan does not see t ...more
Chandra
AUTHOR: Amanda Forester is a Romance, Historical Fiction author. This is the third book in her Highlander's series. The series is full of adventure, romance and the right balance of sexy but tasteful passion. She knows how to write an action and adventure filled, romantic and passionate book that includes hilarity and humor in many sections of her book.

SYNOPSIS
He is disguised as a minstrel traveling through Scotland in order to bring the silver chest to his father in France. He has never met suc
Denise
The series can easily be read independent of each other. While the story involves the same people in the prior 2 books and history goes on you do not have the feeling you missed something or are lost not having a full back story. I wasn't crazy about reading this book because it was about Morrigan McNab and I didn't really like her from the other books and I the McNab's are pretty much the crazybad guy clan in the other 2 books. Chaumont the Frenchman from the other books is also this one. He is ...more
Bj Gaskill
What can I say? It was sweet to read a historical that the woman wasn't some romantic ditz for a change. Now don't get me wrong I do like my ditzes, but in this book the woman, Morrigan was a sword welding bad a$$. I LOVED IT!

Action packed....never a dull moment...from robbing, loving, to attempted murder to being left for dead....heck I really haven't got one clue what this book didn't have in it!

Just thinking what a person would go through for family OMG!!!

Oh...and the Templar's treasure...di
Michele
Oh-I love when the heroines are strong (but have a hidden soft side)-and the hero's even stronger!!
Rachel
Scotland 1355

So im like half done with this book and im still not liking Morrigan at all. I didn't like her in book 2 and still hate her. She's just a bitch. And Dragonet is wishy washy. All tough knight on the field but wimp when it comes to Morrigan. Im not sure, but I think he's a virgin."

(view spoiler)
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

TRUE HIGHLAND SPIRIT is the third book in Amanda Forester’s Highlander series. I really enjoyed the last book THE HIGHLANDER’S HEART and found that I really liked this one as well, but for very different reasons.

Morrigan McNab is a tough girl, a warrior woman who just so happens to be a thief as well. Her parents are dead so she is forced to participate in highway robberies in order to support herself and her clan. She does this with her brother, the laird of the McNab
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
During the early unsteady period between Scotland & England, the french sent troops through Scotland hiring & paying clans to battle & to take over English strongholds. Thus protecting France.

Morrigan McNab is a pant wearing warrior in her clan who has been forced to join highway robberies with her brother, the Laird of the McNab clan, being very poor after their parents died.

During one of the robberies, a french minstrel is left behind & meets Morrigan. He is actually a french
Tracy
Spirited Morrigan Steals The Show
Sister of the Laird McNab, Morrigan McNab would do anything to support and protect her impoverished clan. Eschewing feminine trappings since she was a child, she straps on a sword...and other deadly accoutrements...and fights like a man. With her brother and a small group of their men, she raids other clans and ambushes travelers for additional coin and supplies. The dishonorable activity weighs her heart, but helping her clan survive makes that weight at least b
Marlene

Morrigan McNabb isn't the usual Scots lass, because she dresses like a man and fights alongside her brothers for her clan. Morrigan's clan is very poor and in danger of starving and to make matters worse Scotland is at war with England. Sir Jaques Dragonet is one of the French knights, who arrived with the Duke of Argitaine to aid some Scottish in attacking the English. Because the Duke paid for their help, Morrigan's clan is among the other Scots clans. Morrigan, who knew Jaques as a minstrel,
Shelley
Heather  *trying to find a good book*
Overall a decent story.

Morrigan isn't the typical Lady. To provide for her clan she takes up a sword and fights and robs along with her brother. She lost both her parents at the age of 10, left with only two brothers one older one younger. Her older brother Laird of the clan would rather see her wed but Morrigan dresses like a man and many fear her.

Jacque Dragoner is on a mission well two actually but one is secret. Sent to Scotland by his father to find the treasure of the Templars, a silver b
Terra
I luv Amanda Forester and her writing. Each book just continues on as if the family sage has just had a wee vacation.

Morrigan McNab is one fiesty highland lass who can seem to find just as much trouble without looking for it as her brothers do. A Highland lady who can't seem to find her way out of breaches and into a nice gown, Morrigan really does need the so called Kick in the Pants!

Sir Jacques Dragonet is about as noble as they come. A priest on a mission of great import doesn't stop this kni
Trudy Miner
Forced to fight alongside her brothers in order to defend her clan, no one would recognize Morrigan McNab as a Highland lady, no one that is except Sir Jacques Dragonet of France in Scotland disguised as a minstrel on a mission for his father. As the McNab clan prepares to go to war against King Edward II, Morrigan rides out with them against Dragonet's wishes. One bloody battle follows another and first Morrigan is injured then her brother is injured, forcing a return to home. As Morrigan and D ...more
Kristen
Plot was interesting and moved along well. Characters were likeable and had good chemistry. Author did a much better job this time working her religious message into the story - was a more natural development and the proselytizing was not as heavy-handed as in the prior two books. Still there, just not quite as overt. However, I am not sure I would recommend this series to non-Christians, who might take exception to some of the themes.
Dana Alma
True Highland Spirit by Amanda Forester is a nonstop adventure surrounded in a Highland purlieu. Forester ensnares us with fearless and valiant characters who battle for what they believe in. A beautiful and headstrong Highland lass meets her match in a French minstrel, in this daring historical romance that places two countries on the battlefield. War and conflict surround these distinctive characters as they search for treasure, in great minutia. I enjoyed this foray into the Scottish Highland ...more
Suzan Tisdale
This is book three in the series. I absolutely LOVED this book! It was nice to have a heroine who could kick booty but still remain lovable and female.

Sweet, funny and exciting! I give this book five stars.

Morrigan (our heroine) is strong and at first, one might come away thinking she is uncaring. But she is far from that! She loves her family and her clan, it is just difficult for her to show it as she has spent most of her adult life trying to keep them from the brink of starvation.

Dragonet
Natalie
I'm a sucker for Scottish romances. Shouldn't read them, I know, especially when my eight year old son saw the cover with a shirtless man. "Ew! Mom! Why do you have that book?!" was his main reaction. Getting ready for Outlander series for this weekend I guess.
Bonnie
This entire series was a breath of fresh air. Highly enjoyable, full of laughs, great story lines and fantastic characters. I would recommend this series to anyone who loves Highlanders!
Jody
Set in 1355 in the Highlands of Scotland (affected by the courtly intrigues of France), this unique historical romance sets a new standard for kick-ass heroines. Morrigan McNab turns warrior to help care for her impoverished Highland clan, painfully casting away any dreams she had for personal happiness by assuming such a scandalous, non-traditional role. Sir Jacques Dragonet, no stranger to loneliness and lost dreams, sees a kindred spirit. Their relationship is not coy. No one plays games. The ...more
Monica
Where to start? I guess since this is the last book in the series (I think) I will just wrap it into one. I had never heard of Amanda Forester however while searching for a new read I found the first in the series. After I read it I had to read the rest. I will honestly say the series is a great read! I do love the fact she has taken real accounts in history and switched them up a bit. The fact she uses a lot of the mystique we all love about ancient Scotland within her pages makes it all the be ...more
Dixie
Reread...Enjoyable story. Nice to see the changes the h experiences. Absolutely sweet H but he's tough when it comes to b protecting her.
Meaghan
This book was fantastic! I loved how the heroine was more than a "damsel in distress" she was powerful, stubborn and willful. Determined to do things her way and I haven't come across many books like that.
I became quickly addicted to the story! I couldn't put it down because I needed to know what would happen next, how things would work out, what would become of Jaques and Morrigan, caln rivalies...oh it was GOOD!!

I am fast becoming a big fan of Amanda Forester!!
June
Morrigan McNab gets her story told. I found Morrigan to be an interesting character in the previous books. She enjoys the role of bandit, dressing like her brothers and having a 'manly' role. But when she finds herself spending time with Dragonet and exploring feelings she never knew existed, her life changes. She's quite the warrior and protector. Loved the poisoned hairpin and the damage she inflicted with it. Very entertaining and adventurous book.
Kaila
I actually found True Highland Spirit to be very good and tad surprising. I loved the romance between the main characters. I think in this book the real enjoyment of seeing the two fall in love was just solid for me. I liked not know the characters backgrounds right way and seeing it come to light. It was also nice to see how the other characters from the other book the Highlander's Heart play out in this as well.
Sunny☼
I enjoyed the story, the very strong female heroine Morrigan and the romantic french monk Dragonet fight many battles side by side. They are both virgins and that creates a smile or two. The catholic church, relics, knights and highway men all have a role.
I did find the story too long and would have benefited with a bit more editing in the early parts of the book. The conclusion was touching.
Sheri Salatin
Amanda Forester - A Christian novelist writing for a secular market.

I liked this book, but it was probably my least favorite of all of them because of the premarital sex.
However, as a secular romance book, it was fantastic. Not too graphic, and the romance was sweet and tender.
The writing is very well done. I loved the tension between the characters and the history was fantastic!
Esther
Wow, what an unexpected delight! I started book 3 hating Morrigan macnab; a couple of chapters into it, I was introduced to a character that was very much human. I loved this book. I fell in love with Morrigan and Jacques' story. I highly recommend this series :).
  • Temptation in a Kilt (Bad Boys of the Highlands, #1)
  • Highland Heat (Highlander, #3)
  • Lord of the Black Isle (Black Douglas #3)
  • Sins of the Highlander
  • My Fierce Highlander (Highland Adventure, #1)
  • A Warrior's Promise (The Warrior King, #3)
  • The Sinner (Return of the Highlanders, #2)
  • The Warrior Laird (Highlander Brothers, #1)
  • A Gentleman Says "I Do" (The Rogues' Dynasty, #5)
  • Possessed by the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #3)
  • The Wolf Who Loved Me (Westfield Wolves, #5)
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • The Wicked Wedding of Miss Ellie Vyne (Sydney Dovedale, #2)
  • Must Love Kilts (Highlander, #5)
  • Embrace the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #2)
Amanda Forester holds a PhD in clinical psychology and a Masters degree in theology. As a psychologist, she has worked as a clinical researcher and a university instructor (what they call you when they don’t want to give you tenure). None of which has anything to do with writing romance novels. After trying for many years to stop the internal storylines floating around her head, she finally gave u ...more
More about Amanda Forester...

Highlander (3 books)
  • The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)
  • The Highlander's Heart (Highlander #2)
The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1) The Highlander's Heart (Highlander #2) A Wedding in Springtime (Marriage Mart, #1) The Highland Bride's Choice (Campbell Sisters, #1) A Midsummer Bride (Marriage Mart, #2)