To Wed a Rake

To Wed a Rake

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Previously published as A Proper Englishwoman in the anthology Talk of the Ton .
ebook
Published December 4th 2012 by Penguin Group (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about To Wed a Rake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Wed a Rake

Jilly
Gilbert Baring-Gould, the Earl of Kerr, has no plans to settle down…regardless of his fiancée Emma, who lives in the country.

But Miss Emma Loudan is no quiet country mouse.

When the earl goes too far, announcing he won’t marry until his fiancée has his ring on her finger and his baby on the way, Emma takes matters into her own hands.

Before he knows it, Gil will find that his ring—and his virtue—are no longer his own…

And he’s fighting the battle of his life to woo the woman he planned to throw awa...more
Lindsay Allison
I can tell that this is an earlier work of James's. It's a good read, but not quite as strong as some of her other stories.

I thought the letters at the start of the story were a little excessive. I would also have liked to see a little more during the ending scene when they confess their love for each other.

However, I loved the setting and characters. James does witty and sarcastic so well and she's only gotten better with time.
Tasmia
Read this in an anthology some time ago - still think of it as EJ as her best. The space constraint keeps the focus tight on the relationship and dynamic between heroine and hero. Yet, EJ still somehow manages to give a whimsical feel to some of it, something that is uniquely her, exasperating to read but also delicious to experience. We don't get to know very much of the hero which is a little bit of a shame, but his smouldering rakish perfection jumps off the page and makes up for that. We get...more
Elis Madison
Gil, Earl of Kerr, may be a little too well-read for the tonnish set. Asked by a Nosy Nellie when he plans to finally marry his long-neglected betrothed (they were betrothed in childhood; haven't seen much of each other since, but it's well past time), he quips, "not until she has my baby in her belly and my ring on her finger." Problem is, the tabbies in the ton never heard of Shakespeare.

After a slew of well-meaning missives from various people giving her advice on how to handle this errant m...more
Cheryl
Eloisa James' novellas are really fun. These are the type that I don't mind paying for. You get everything that's expected in a full novel plus the happily ever after.

In this case, Emma decides to trap her fiance, a flippantly vulgar rake, into marriage. I guess my only complaint would be that Emma was at first, so seemingly satisfied to be living in the country, despite her eloquent clothing and grooming and only at the urging of her sister did she pursue her fiance, attempting to trap him into...more
Alex
I loved the twist!

description

Alex's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Aidyle
This will seriously be the last time I read any novel written by Eloisa James. Her approach to writing is disconnected and confusing!
Aspoon
I try and try and try to like Eloisa James and each and EVERY time she disappoints me. This book is no different. Absolutely stupid and unbelievable. I do agree with another comment where it got off on a good start with the letter writings back and forth...I was hoping I was going to finally find a book I like by this author and is sizzled right after the letters top so maybe Chapter 3. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME READERS!
Jamie (Josephson) Gravell
Love this novella right until the end. The last few scenes are just a bit blah. But glad I finally checked out Eloisa James!
Sara
Enjoyed the storyline. Generated a more questions about the main characters. I liked the letter format used in the beginning to introduce characters and set up the story. Definitely more complex characters than the story revealed. A nice quick read.
Kristine
Their love scene was a little dusturbing...

*spoiler*

... because he takes the "French widow" with a near crazed ferocity, all the while knowing who she really was and her virginal status. This scene made the "I love you" completely unbelievable.
Kate Forsyth
A delightful Regency romance novella, razor-sharp and not a word wasted. Bought it on my Kindle as I was waiting for my ferry and had read it by the time my ferry had come. Not a yawn in sight.
Stacy
Very cute and fun. I waffled over whether to give it three stars or four, but I think it wasn't quite clever enough or funny enough to push it all the way up.
April Brookshire
Could've been better, though I did enjoy what a high opinion the heroine had of herself.
Ana
A wicked novella about a cheating rake who gets a comeuppance from his country fiancee.
Zinzi
It was ok. Pretty fast paced, which leaves you somewhat unsatisfied.
Christie Palmer
Great quick read. Loved the story line and Gil is swoon worthy.
Bunnyk
It was okay. If paperback it wouldn't've been a keeper.
Donna
Read this as part of an Anthology....Talk of the Ton
Shiela
This book was ok, was alittle disappointed, but it was ok.
Rosa C.
This is a novella. Short but well written.
Jane Geltzer
Loved it although predictable.
Bunga
Biasa aja sih... Mungkin karena terlalu singkat ceritanya. Cinta kilat deh jadinya. Hahaha...

• To Wager the Marquis of Wolverstone (Wicked Wagers, #2)
  • Have You Any Rogues? (Rhymes With Love, #2.5)
  • The Lady Most Willing...: A Novel in Three Parts
  • The Earl with the Secret Tattoo (House of Brady, #1.5)
  • The One That Got Away
  • Good Earl Hunting
  • Your Wicked Heart (Rules for the Reckless, #0.5)
  • When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)
  • Deck the Halls With Love (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2.5)
  • What a Duke Wants
  • To Love A Thief (Secrets & Scandals, #4)
  • Days of Rakes and Roses (Sons of Sin, #1.5)
  • The Conquest of Lady Cassandra (Fairbourne Quartet, #2)
  • To Marry a Marquess
  • At the Duke's Wedding (A romance anthology)
  • The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright
  • A Christmas Bride / Christmas Beau
  • The Tenacious Miss Tamerlane
New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James writes historical romances for HarperCollins Publishers. Her novels have been published to great acclaim. A reviewer from USA Today wrote of Eloisa's very first book that she "found herself devouring the book like a dieter with a Hershey bar"; later People Magazine raved that "romance writing does not get much better than this." Her novels have repeat...more
More about Eloisa James...
When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2) A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1) Paris in Love The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4) A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6)