Blank-133x176
Inside Evil

Geoffrey Wakeling

Inside Evil (Inside Evil #1)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Life in the secluded town of Ridgewood is charming, simple, safe - isn't it? The bubble that isolates the hamlet protects, or so the eclectic residents believe. Lurking in the background of every day life is a curse that comes in cycles and picks off the innocent as it pleases. But this time there's something different,this time the curse wants more.

Roberta Arlington's l...more
Published (first published March 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Evil

Judy Kellegher

Inside Evil is the first in a trilogy by G.Wakeling. If your a lover of series but hate the wait, then you'll be pleased to know that the second book- Tower of Souls -is already published.
Being a huge fantasy fan, not so much a sci-fi fan, I have to admit that this is not the sort of book I would normally choose to read. Oh how lovely a surprise it was to discover that Inside Evil was packed with oodles of mystery and leans more to fantasy than sci-fi.
So why DID I choose to read it? Well, Who w...more
M.R. Jenks
Agatha Christie. Dorothy Sayers. Wilkie Collins. G. K. Chesterton. These are the authors which come to mind when reading Inside Evil. It is the sort of tale to curl up with in front of a warm fire, or read in bed on a cold frosty night. In truth it is a fantasy disguised as a mystery, the sort of quintessential English mystery which is both as cozy as a pair of warm slippers, and as frightening as a knife in the dark. The reader should be aware beforehand, however, that they are reading a very s...more
Karen Field
Inside Evil is a fantasy mystery story set in England. It's about a group of people tangled up in the death of a young girl. It is apparent that the death is connected to other deaths in the area. All have similar causes. All are unusual. None have been solved. Time is of the essence because someone else will die!

Whilst parts of the story were a bit slow, the characters and plot were intriguing enough to make me want to carry on reading. I wanted to know what was happening. I was curious enough...more
Phil Ansell
Inside Evil is a book with a plot that was both fascinating and intriguing, featured some great characters and a setting to die for.

G.Wakeling paints a fantastic picture of the small town of Ridgewood, with beautiful and full descriptions, I really felt like I’ve just been there and the plot itself kept me interested and desperately wanting to know why the events were happening and what was going to happen next. That said I felt I could only give it 3 stars because sometimes the pacing of the s...more
Krista
The small town of Ridgewood has a secret, one that only a select group of people know about. There is a curse, one that has been handed down from generation to generation. Every ten years there will be deaths unless a riddle is solved and to find the riddle is its own adventure. I was completely enthralled with this book. From the moment I began reading I could not tear myself away. What I first thought was a horror novel is actually a fantasy within a mystery.

Roberta, a teacher at the local bo...more
My Name Is Legion, For We Are Many
Was ok....

Was ok....

This book wasn't bad necessarily, it's just it seems the entire first book of the series was a build up to book two with hardly any resolution or answers in, this, book one.
The story was pretty much all over the place, with many random tid~bits of information and very few actual revelations. An example being the way in which the victims are murdered. Many details are given but no explanation for them whatsoever.
Even while writing a "series", a progressive story arc should st...more
Sharon Davies
This is a great first novel, very descriptive and well thought out, that you almost feel you are there in that little bookshop, sinking into a sofa with a coffee warming your hands and the fire warming your feet. It links five main characters, and we get to see the story from their perspective, before it brings them all together in the end.
It is book one of a series, so the story continues.
If you like thrilling suspense with a paranormal twist, then this book is for you.
*flora*
wow! I really liked this story .... a tense scary thriller with a paranormal theme. The ending took me completely by surprise but I liked it.

7 May 2014

...So what’s this book about?
Inside Evil is the first in a growing series, 4 books so far; Inside Evil #1, Tower of Souls #2, Spirits of the Middlelands #3 and New Alliances #4.
This paranormal mystery is set in a small isolated rural community on the borders of England and Scotland but the sleepy peace is about to be broken, when local boarding s...more
Naomi Lindsey

Read it...loved it...found it contained the perfect balance of fantasy and mystery...currently reading the second book, and loving that even more so far! Highly recommend to any and all!
Soul-ann James
I think if I'd read the feedback and not the synopsis, I probably wouldn't have bought this book. I expected it to be more of a thriller with some fantasy but the balance weighed the other way. Because of this it was a hard slog, but didn't penalise my rating because of my personal preferences. What was found wanting was the ending... the tying up of loose ends.

Being part of a trilogy (I assume) you need to read all three books to get to the complete story. Not something I'm planning to do, giv...more
Wendy Unsworth
Roberta Arlington finds a dead pupil in the corridor of the school where she works and her fate is sealed. An ancient curse makes the isolated community of Ridgewood a dangerous place to be.
I really enjoyed the setting of this story. The town, the school, the bookshop, all make a very fitting backdrop to the build up tension as the curse returns for its next victim. I also liked the easy writing style, quite a complex story is clearly told.
Although I am not a great fan of fantasy, inside Evil...more
wendy grim
Good

the plot of the story was good and can not wait to read what happens next in the series of books
Gina's Library
I was asked to read this book for a fair and honest review by the author.

To be honest this book took me longer than normal to read. I can usually read a book in 2 days. This one took much longer than that.

The story didn't seem to flow very well. I found it alternated between being sluggish and too fast paced. There were also things I wish that were explained more that were not.

I think if there was more of an explanation of what was really going on in the town would of been better. I think the s...more
Elizabeth Cribb
Very good book. I love reading books set in Ireland and England.
Mel Russell
It all started with the death of Vanessa Lingly in her high school. It all seemed a bit random until one police officer finally remembers a spate of deaths ten years ago to which he thinks this might be related. I enjoyed this, but didn't get a feel for any of the characters; especially Roberta who was the protagonist. Maybe I zoned out a bit, but by the end I had no idea how the curse had selected a victim, or why Mrs Peacock's book was meant for Martha.
Overall, a good idea but disappointing.
Staci Coleman
This was a pretty good story. pacing was good, plot kept my interest. The characters weren't very well developed however, and I feel there were many questions left unanswered, we got the name of the curse but no history; where it came from, who started it, etc. I know there's a sequel and I will likely download it for my Kindle, to hopefully fill in some of the blanks.
Michael Brookes
Inside Evil is the battle in a small village against an ancient curse. It has a gloomy, claustrophobic feel that encapsulates the story. The writing pulls you through the story in a pleasing manner and I enjoyed reading it a lot. I understand there are more books in the series, so I will have to check them out. A recommended horror read.
Karen
I'm not sure what I was expecting with this book. It was a good read, but it left a lot of unanswered questions. For instance, what really is Gathin? Who was Roberta and Barry running from in the end? Why is there a curse on Ridgewood? etc. I understand there are 2 more books in the series. Maybe those books will have answers.
Victoria Zigler
This is a bit of a strange story, but a really good one; an enjoyable read. It has a bit of a slow start, but when it picks up will capture your interest and keep it until the end.
Jack
Pretty good fantasy/mystery that became richer as the book unfolded. Looking forward to the next in the series, as I feel it will be even more intriguing, engaging, and satisfying...
Kathy
3.5/5 - look for my review coming soon at literaryrr.blogspot.com!
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Dalene
Dalene added it
Aug 19, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Ashley
Ashley is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
Kevin Hartley
Kevin Hartley marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Flaca7
Flaca7 marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Daniel Hooks
Daniel Hooks marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Books, Blogs, Aut...: Inside Evil - A British fantasy mystery series 8 47 Apr 01, 2013 09:24AM
Paranormal Addict...: New British Paranormal Mystery 2 22 Jul 09, 2012 10:48AM
  • Zan (Spiritdell, #1)
  • Gated
  • Rainy Nights
  • See Jack Die
  • Asylum: The Complete Series
  • Betrayal (Syrenka, #2)
  • Immortal Prophecy (The Immortal Prophecy Saga #1)
  • Anything Can Be Dangerous
  • Draykon (Draykon, #1)
  • Altdorf (The Forest Knights, #1)
  • Ravage
  • Bound by Darkness
  • The Death Series: Volume One (Death, #1-3)
  • Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files #1)
  • City of Burning Shadows (Apocrypha: The Dying World, #1)
  • Sand
  • Animus
  • Whispers from the Grave
5781929
I'm a professional copywriter and blogger by day, interspersing writing with walking in the forest, gardening and wiping cat drool off my lap.

By night, I'm working on my novels, the first of which has been published; Inside Evil.
More about Geoffrey Wakeling...
The Tower of Souls CRYO: Rise of the Immortals (CRYO, #1) CRYO: A Changed World (CRYO, #2) Spirits of the Middlelands Pacifier 6 - The Shadows Within