Start by marking “Lucianna (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #3)” as Want to Read:
Lucianna (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #3)

Lucianna (The Silk Merchant's Daughters #3)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  30 reviews
After her two elder sisters become the scandals of Florence, Lucianna Pietro d’Angelo is in the difficult position of finding a wealthy man who will have her for his wife. She has little choice but to accept the proposal of an aging bookseller—a not entirely disagreeable union in which Lucianna comforts the dear man in his final years. When he passes away, she inherits his ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by NAL Trade

To ask other readers questions about Lucianna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucianna

Entwined by Heather DixonBetrayal by Mayandree MichelThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenEnvy by Anna GodbersenPrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
Best Dresses on the Cover
224th out of 252 books — 178 voters
Marked by P.C. CastMidwives by Chris BohjalianNight by Elie WieselMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansMisery by Stephen King
One Word Titles - L through R
37th out of 108 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly Kline
Bertrice used to write such wonderful books. Detailed, fascinating, books I have read over and over again.

This isn't those.

Lucianna is boring. It breaks my heart to say it, but Bertrice clearly doesn't care what she's writing any more. Lucianna contains abysmal continuity errors, cardboard characters, re-used plot devices that are much to easily resolved, and nothing to redeem it. I was a huge fan for a long, long time, but I find myself increasingly disappointed after her last two books.

Another
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks

I will start this review off by saying that I am a huge fan of Bertrice Small, albeit a recent one. I first read a Dangerous Love back in 2010 and have been stuck since. Bertrice's books are memorable to say the least.

Orianna Pietro D'Angelo carefully plotted each of her daughter's lives, especially their marriages. The wife a Milanese silk merchant only wanted the best of marriages for her beautiful offspring, but sometimes the meddlesome Orianna didn't know what was best for her daughters. Whe
Neeuqdrazil
I didn't enjoy this one nearly as much as the first two books in this series. Mostly because I know the history of the period & country in this one (early Tudor England), and a lot of it was bad.

Also, it was (more-than-)kinda rapey, in a way that the others weren't. The 'hero' takes the heroine (a foreigner who has her own responsibilities) to his estate, and then tells her (lovingly?) that she won't be allowed to leave until she marries him.

I really don't know why I keep buying and readin
Marcie
Perfunctory. Boring. Not feeling it. What a pile of CRAP.

Obviously, they only care about the cover art, and obviously, I only picked it up at the library due to the cover art. I've never heard of Bertrice Small before. She's 76 and has written about 50 romance novels. I won't be reading any of the others.
Jamie Kane
I usually love Beatrice Small books but this one was missing something...don't waste your time. I feel like a ghost writer wrote this last book...:(.
Stacey Rabinowitz Connelly
Surprisingly bad book for Bertrice Small. I am a big fan of hers but her Silk Merchant Daughters series has been a big disappointment. Lucianna is shallow, self entitled, a snob and just plain boring. She has no personality and never says anything interesting. Her only dialogue is to go on and on about her sister Bianca's Turkish prince, her sister Francesca's duke that was killed, her brother Marco's obsession with his mistress, her brother Giorgio the priest, her sister Giulia who wants to be ...more
Aurian Booklover
After the Medici Bank fell, and the silk merchants of Florence got some fierce competition from Milan, there was not much money left for a decent dowry for Lucianna, the third daughter of Giovanni and Orianna Pietro dAngelo. Orianna was amazed at how easily Lucianna accepted the marriage proposal from an elderly bookseller, who just wanted a pretty young wife to take care of him in his old age. Especially after the antics of her older sisters, Bianca and Francesca. But Lucianna knew that she did ...more
Renee Gordon
I greatly enjoyed Lucianna's story. This title seemed tamer for Bertrice Small-no slavery, harems, and no one died. I was actually expecting Robert to die, he was so kind, as that is the fate of other heroes in her books it seems. I could have done without the history of the Tudors, but that is just my personal preference. I always appreciate the descriptions in Small's work, I would have loved to visit Wyn Court. Hopefully Serena will be out soon, the ending was such a temptation!
Stephanie Balderas
Not a favorite. The book was a little dry, no real romance and it didn't pull me into the story. :( It almost felt like not enough was happening but then too much shoved into a few pages. Several things were also repeated SEVERAL times, which accounted for my lack of interest. Started this book a week ago...crazy how long it took me to finish this.
Kemi
This book is closer to a 2 1/2-star rating, but I gave it a 2 because three stars felt too generous. The writing is clumsy and the story is slow. I would like to praise the author for her 2-paragraph epilogue, that so neatly summed up the rest of the characters' lives, because it satisfied my curiosity without making it necessary to read another book.
Athena Ninlil
Joyce
This is the first title by Small that I've read in 30 years--and things haven't changed much, except that now almost all romances are as sensual as hers were then, when they were the exception, not the rule. Her heroes are handsome and strong, her heroines intelligent, beautiful, and independent--feminists way before there time. This title deals peripherally with Florence's silk industry in the 15th century, as well as the court of Henry VII in England, although the historical details are mostly ...more
Patricia Kadoche
The amount of repetition in this book is unreal!!! Isn't it an editors job to catch that?! Disappointed as the authors prior books were so much better
Rebecca Whaley
This was a pretty good read. It was not too exciting but rather a nicely flowing story. This I would say is the mildest book of the silk merchants daughters series. Hopefully the next will be more exciting.
Cheryl
More fun!

Not quite as good as the first two. Just didn't hold my attention as well. Could have just been me however!
Amy
I've read many of Beatrice Small's books and the writing of this book is nothing like her previous books I've read. To me, Lucianna is written like a book one would read in middle school. The rapid subject changes from one chapter to the next had my mind spinning. What irritated me most about this book is why did she drop the brother Luca into a situation, then not mention him again for nearly 80 pages? This book is so unlike Beatrice Small's writing. I'd suggest you pass on reading this one, an ...more
Shawn
I enjoyed the read until the last chapter. The last chapter/ending of the story seemed to end too abruptly. I would have enjoyed it better if more attention were given to her pregnancy and her brother's leaving before the appearance of Serena. Just seemed to move too quickly at the end like the author had to stop quickly to make deadline so lets do "this, this, and this." The End. Maybe the final book - Serena - will begin with more attention to these happenings before her story begins. But over ...more
Chele Lee
The 3rd, like the 2nd, in the series of 4, repeats and repeats. The 2nd recounts book 1, and 3 recounts 1 and 2. Once would be ok, but it does it about every other chapter. If these repeated text were removed, there could have been much more to the stories.

but this story is another good one. The three sisters so far have wonderful storyline, I truly wish there was more of it.

On to book 4.
Lacette Nicole
I have purchased every single historical novel by Bertrice Small & this is by far the WORST book i've ever read written by her! There would be ZERO story if she had not(yet again) explained Tudor history. The 1st books in the series were meh, but to go so far down in quality with such a bland story and weak characters within the same series is odd.
Kelly Lipera
I am a huge fan of Bertrice Small but this book fell very flat. I have noticed this in her books for the past few years. This was not an adventurous love story and the intrigue in the book was unnecessary. I hope the fourth, and final, book in the Silk Merchant's Daughters series ends on a high note.
Dawn ♥ romance
This historical romance was interesting enough to finish but I found it very mundane. Most of the action was not very exciting and there was no passion. It had too much repetitive political discussion. Lucianna is newly widowed when Lord Robert walks into the bookstore where she works.
Kashii
2.5 ... even though it was easy to get through nothing happe ed... they met and got married... then lived life some smalk things happened in the end but so? it was better than francesca mostly because francesca had such a lousy ending.... but NOTHING HAPPENED
Virginia Winfield
This whole series has been very enjoyable. A nice quick romance with a little thrill.
Nancy
One of the author's poorer efforts. The plot was thin and padding with repetitious English history didn't help. Did anyone read the manuscript before it was printed?
April Biloxi
Practically fell asleep in the middle of it - nothing interesting AT ALL. Small is just awful now.
was kind of disappointed in this not like her classics
Amy
Nov 04, 2013 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
A little slow to start, but the story did quickly pick up.
PWRL
Nov 28, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
O
Marita
1 done on my 2014 list!!
Tanya
I had listed that I'd read this when I actually read the second one first. As one does. Anyway, this one was duller than dishwater. I'm worried about Bertrice. I hope she gets her mojo back.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 04, 2015 01:25PM
  • My Highland Lover (Highland Hearts, #1)
  • His Wicked Seduction (The League of Rogues, #2)
  • Night's Daughter (Flat Earth, #4-5)
  • The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Grace Under Pressure: Extreme Etiquette for the Stickiest, Trickiest, Most Outrageous Situations of Your Life
  • Man Gave Names to All the Animals
  • I'm Big!
  • Paisley Hanover Kisses and Tells
  • My Mommy Hung the Moon: A Love Story
  • Rescue Bunnies
  • Snapped
  • Moon Lust (Moon Lust, #1)
  • Bride of the Wind
  • Till Dawn Tames the Night
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween
  • Lace and Blade
  • Midnight Play (The Blue Dynasty, #2)
  • Dotty
Bertrice Williams was born on December 9, 1937 in Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA, the daughter of Doris S. and David R. Williams, both broadcasters. She studied at Attended Western College for Women and Katharine Gibbs Secretarial School. On October 5, 1963, she married George Sumner Small, a photographer and designer with a History Major at Princeton. They had a son Thomas David. She has ...more
More about Bertrice Small...

The Silk Merchant's Daughters (4 books)
  • Bianca (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #1)
  • Francesca (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #2)
  • Serena (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #4)
Skye O'Malley (O'Malley Saga, #1) The Kadin All the Sweet Tomorrows (O'Malley Saga #2) This Heart of Mine (O'Malley Saga, #4) Wild Jasmine (O'Malley Saga #6)