Start by marking “Lucianna (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #3)” as Want to Read:
Lucianna (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #3)

Lucianna (The Silk Merchant's Daughters #3)

Published October 1st 2013 by NAL Trade

Holly Kline
Oct 04, 2013 Holly Kline rated it it was ok
Bertrice used to write such wonderful books. Detailed, fascinating, books I have read over and over again.

This isn't those.

Lucianna is boring. It breaks my heart to say it, but Bertrice clearly doesn't care what she's writing any more. Lucianna contains abysmal continuity errors, cardboard characters, re-used plot devices that are much to easily resolved, and nothing to redeem it. I was a huge fan for a long, long time, but I find myself increasingly disappointed after her last two books.

Another
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks

I will start this review off by saying that I am a huge fan of Bertrice Small, albeit a recent one. I first read a Dangerous Love back in 2010 and have been stuck since. Bertrice's books are memorable to say the least.

Orianna Pietro D'Angelo carefully plotted each of her daughter's lives, especially their marriages. The wife a Milanese silk merchant only wanted the best of marriages for her beautiful offspring, but sometimes the meddlesome Orianna didn't know what was best for her daughters. Whe
Neeuqdrazil
I didn't enjoy this one nearly as much as the first two books in this series. Mostly because I know the history of the period & country in this one (early Tudor England), and a lot of it was bad.

Also, it was (more-than-)kinda rapey, in a way that the others weren't. The 'hero' takes the heroine (a foreigner who has her own responsibilities) to his estate, and then tells her (lovingly?) that she won't be allowed to leave until she marries him.

I really don't know why I keep buying and readin
Marcie
Feb 15, 2014 Marcie rated it did not like it
Perfunctory. Boring. Not feeling it. What a pile of CRAP.

Obviously, they only care about the cover art, and obviously, I only picked it up at the library due to the cover art. I've never heard of Bertrice Small before. She's 76 and has written about 50 romance novels. I won't be reading any of the others.
Jamie Kane
Oct 06, 2013 Jamie Kane rated it it was ok
I usually love Beatrice Small books but this one was missing something...don't waste your time. I feel like a ghost writer wrote this last book...:(.
Tanya
Dec 02, 2013 Tanya rated it it was ok
I had listed that I'd read this when I actually read the second one first. As one does. Anyway, this one was duller than dishwater. I'm worried about Bertrice. I hope she gets her mojo back.
Aurian Booklover
Oct 13, 2013 Aurian Booklover rated it really liked it
After the Medici Bank fell, and the silk merchants of Florence got some fierce competition from Milan, there was not much money left for a decent dowry for Lucianna, the third daughter of Giovanni and Orianna Pietro dAngelo. Orianna was amazed at how easily Lucianna accepted the marriage proposal from an elderly bookseller, who just wanted a pretty young wife to take care of him in his old age. Especially after the antics of her older sisters, Bianca and Francesca. But Lucianna knew that she did ...more
Kate
Sep 08, 2016 Kate rated it liked it
After her two elder sisters become the scandals of Florence, Lucianna Pietro d’Angelo is in the difficult position of finding a wealthy man who will have her for his wife. She has little choice but to accept the proposal of an aging bookseller—a not entirely disagreeable union in which Lucianna comforts the dear man in his final years. When he passes away, she inherits his shop and, with it, a sizable fortune.

Lucianna is content with comfortable widowhood—until Robert Minton, Earl of Lisle, visi
Stacey Rabinowitz Connelly
Surprisingly bad book for Bertrice Small. I am a big fan of hers but her Silk Merchant Daughters series has been a big disappointment. Lucianna is shallow, self entitled, a snob and just plain boring. She has no personality and never says anything interesting. Her only dialogue is to go on and on about her sister Bianca's Turkish prince, her sister Francesca's duke that was killed, her brother Marco's obsession with his mistress, her brother Giorgio the priest, her sister Giulia who wants to be ...more
Athena Ninlil
Oct 01, 2013 Athena Ninlil rated it it was amazing
Joyce
Jul 11, 2014 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, historical, romance
This is the first title by Small that I've read in 30 years--and things haven't changed much, except that now almost all romances are as sensual as hers were then, when they were the exception, not the rule. Her heroes are handsome and strong, her heroines intelligent, beautiful, and independent--feminists way before there time. This title deals peripherally with Florence's silk industry in the 15th century, as well as the court of Henry VII in England, although the historical details are mostly ...more
Shawn
Oct 20, 2013 Shawn rated it liked it
I enjoyed the read until the last chapter. The last chapter/ending of the story seemed to end too abruptly. I would have enjoyed it better if more attention were given to her pregnancy and her brother's leaving before the appearance of Serena. Just seemed to move too quickly at the end like the author had to stop quickly to make deadline so lets do "this, this, and this." The End. Maybe the final book - Serena - will begin with more attention to these happenings before her story begins. But over ...more
Amy
Oct 06, 2013 Amy rated it did not like it
I've read many of Beatrice Small's books and the writing of this book is nothing like her previous books I've read. To me, Lucianna is written like a book one would read in middle school. The rapid subject changes from one chapter to the next had my mind spinning. What irritated me most about this book is why did she drop the brother Luca into a situation, then not mention him again for nearly 80 pages? This book is so unlike Beatrice Small's writing. I'd suggest you pass on reading this one, an ...more
Renee Gordon
Jan 17, 2015 Renee Gordon rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
I greatly enjoyed Lucianna's story. This title seemed tamer for Bertrice Small-no slavery, harems, and no one died. I was actually expecting Robert to die, he was so kind, as that is the fate of other heroes in her books it seems. I could have done without the history of the Tudors, but that is just my personal preference. I always appreciate the descriptions in Small's work, I would have loved to visit Wyn Court. Hopefully Serena will be out soon, the ending was such a temptation!
Stephanie Balderas
Jan 28, 2015 Stephanie Balderas rated it liked it
Not a favorite. The book was a little dry, no real romance and it didn't pull me into the story. :( It almost felt like not enough was happening but then too much shoved into a few pages. Several things were also repeated SEVERAL times, which accounted for my lack of interest. Started this book a week ago...crazy how long it took me to finish this.
Kemi
Mar 06, 2014 Kemi rated it it was ok
This book is closer to a 2 1/2-star rating, but I gave it a 2 because three stars felt too generous. The writing is clumsy and the story is slow. I would like to praise the author for her 2-paragraph epilogue, that so neatly summed up the rest of the characters' lives, because it satisfied my curiosity without making it necessary to read another book.
Lacette Nicole
Dec 27, 2013 Lacette Nicole rated it did not like it
I have purchased every single historical novel by Bertrice Small & this is by far the WORST book i've ever read written by her! There would be ZERO story if she had not(yet again) explained Tudor history. The 1st books in the series were meh, but to go so far down in quality with such a bland story and weak characters within the same series is odd.
Chele Kispert
Dec 13, 2013 Chele Kispert rated it liked it
The 3rd, like the 2nd, in the series of 4, repeats and repeats. The 2nd recounts book 1, and 3 recounts 1 and 2. Once would be ok, but it does it about every other chapter. If these repeated text were removed, there could have been much more to the stories.

but this story is another good one. The three sisters so far have wonderful storyline, I truly wish there was more of it.

On to book 4.
Kelly Lipera
Nov 14, 2013 Kelly Lipera rated it it was ok
I am a huge fan of Bertrice Small but this book fell very flat. I have noticed this in her books for the past few years. This was not an adventurous love story and the intrigue in the book was unnecessary. I hope the fourth, and final, book in the Silk Merchant's Daughters series ends on a high note.
Dawn ♥ romance
Jan 26, 2013 Dawn ♥ romance rated it really liked it
This historical romance was interesting enough to finish but I found it very mundane. Most of the action was not very exciting and there was no passion. It had too much repetitive political discussion. Lucianna is newly widowed when Lord Robert walks into the bookstore where she works.
Pamela Sellers
Apr 30, 2016 Pamela Sellers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La triosième

Like the third daughter's story...looking for Serenas story especially since it involves the French. Hopefully some French history as tho other books were historical lyrics interesting
Kashii
Aug 16, 2013 Kashii rated it liked it
2.5 ... even though it was easy to get through nothing happe ed... they met and got married... then lived life some smalk things happened in the end but so? it was better than francesca mostly because francesca had such a lousy ending.... but NOTHING HAPPENED
Rebecca Whaley
Jun 03, 2014 Rebecca Whaley rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good read. It was not too exciting but rather a nicely flowing story. This I would say is the mildest book of the silk merchants daughters series. Hopefully the next will be more exciting.
Ashley
Nov 14, 2015 Ashley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you're going to write a romance novel, you should probably learn to write first. And second, you should probably learn to write the more intimate scenes. That was a train wreck of writing but a great story, it could have been historical fiction if it didn't sound like a 6th graders fanfiction.
Jan 23, 2016 Jennifer rated it did not like it
yuck
Virginia Winfield
Dec 31, 2013 Virginia Winfield rated it really liked it
This whole series has been very enjoyable. A nice quick romance with a little thrill.
Lexus
great story!
Amy
Jun 27, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A little slow to start, but the story did quickly pick up.
Deborah Bouchey
Continued story of an Italian Family!!

Ended abruptly, but was a good read....I recommend this if nothing more than the continued interest of this specific saga..
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 04, 2015 01:25PM
  • Everything Lovely, Effortless, Safe
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Kidnapped
  • Dotty
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • Freaksville (Freaksville, #1)
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • The News Where You Are
  • The Transformation of Bartholomew Fortuno
  • Dogs Don't Do Ballet
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Letters to Jackie: Condolences from a Grieving Nation
Bertrice Williams was born on December 9, 1937 in Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA, the daughter of Doris S. and David R. Williams, both broadcasters. She studied at Attended Western College for Women and Katharine Gibbs Secretarial School. On October 5, 1963, she married George Sumner Small, a photographer and designer with a History Major at Princeton. They had a son Thomas David. She liv ...more
More about Bertrice Small...

The Silk Merchant's Daughters (4 books)
  • Bianca (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #1)
  • Francesca (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #2)
  • Serena (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #4)