Start by marking “Sea Captain's Promise” as Want to Read:
Sea Captain's Promise

Sea Captain's Promise

If you’ve lost yourself, you need someone else to show you the way home.

When Thomas Quinn is eight-years-old, he asks a promise of an Irish sea captain: "If ever I should become like me father will you dunk me under the water 'til I cannot breathe? Will you, sir, please?"

The captain agrees.

Ten years later, Thomas is a womanizer, a thief and a drunk, who remembers a promis
Published December 24th 2010 by Joyce A Scott

To ask other readers questions about Sea Captain's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Captain's Promise

Chandra
Apr 04, 2013 Chandra rated it it was amazing
Yaaayyyy....a break from fiction Romance! Yaaayyy

AUTHOR: Joyce A. Scott did a fantastic job of delivering a promise. SEA CAPTAIN’S PROMISE was a crescendo (a gradual increase) of a read. Her writing style is filled with action, adventure and tons of questions that needed to be answered. I had to forge ahead knowing Joyce had a surprise bag waiting just around the corner for me. Circumstances with humor? Yes. Touching? Well I cried in some parts. Awesome read for Adult and for YA (stubborn is as
Kyle Pratt
Jan 21, 2013 Kyle Pratt rated it it was amazing
"Would you make me a promise," a young boy asks the sea captain, "If ever I should become like me father, will you dunk me under the water until I cannot breathe." However, ten years later the boy is Thomas, a petty thief and drunk. That promise is but a faded childhood memory when he, and his vagrant friend Farrell, are shanghaied onto a ship.

Set around the time of the Revolutionary War, the dialogue is written in the dialect of the time and includes much of the jargon of the sea. In some novel
Janice Dick
Maybe I just read this book too slowly, interrupted by other things and other stories, but it was a bit too predictable and unrealistic for me. The author did manage to stay in the language of the day, both in dialogue and in thought, which is a good thing, and there were some good scenes of tension, but all in all, it seemed just a bit too contrived.
Susan Blackmon
Jan 29, 2013 Susan Blackmon rated it liked it
Story started out with lots of promise but for me it fizzled in the end. However, I was really impressed with the writing style. It had a very old world feel to it. It did contain many errors that should have been caught with editing - not simple word errors but at least one paragraph structure I gave up puzzling out what the author meant to say. Did I regret spending my time reading it? No.
Elaine Wood
Jan 16, 2013 Elaine Wood rated it it was ok
Very predictable. Part of the relationship in the story was given away before the storyline reached that point. I know an author is seeing these relationships her head before we do and can understand the mistake, but a good editor should have caught it.
Jeremy Herrera
Jan 11, 2013 Jeremy Herrera rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure about this book at first, but gave it a good chance.... I wasn't disappointed at the least. It has a great story of a wayward young man that learned what love is and what family really is about. Great message and moral compass to the story.
Kira
Jul 07, 2014 Kira rated it liked it
2.5*

This book was OK, even quite good, up until a certain point. Then there was a backstory thrown in to the mix which was confusing and left more questions unanswered than answered. It also ended rather badly. It was a shame as it started off so well....
Kathy
Jul 09, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it
A good read

I really enjoyed this read, but the end seemed a bit rushed. Things go along, they fight off the pirate, the end. I think going into the voyage to America a bit more would have smoothed the storyline into a more complete tale.
Patricia C Robbins
Nov 16, 2014 Patricia C Robbins rated it really liked it
High Seas Adventure

Very exciting but difficult to understand at times particularly when the revelation about the twins was introduced. It was hard to follow the dialogue because I wasn't sure who was talking. But the premise was good. A pleasant story.
Carla
Feb 16, 2013 Carla rated it did not like it
It wasn't for me.

I started reading the book and it just didn't pull me in. It wasn't engaging. I gave it one star.
Beth Erwin
Nov 14, 2013 Beth Erwin rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-fiction
Although this has some romantic themes, I didn't think it was a true romance novel. I enjoyed the characters, and the story line. A nice, light read with a solid backbone of redemption.
Lindsay
Jan 07, 2013 Lindsay marked it as kindle-i-own-to-read
Amazon Freebie 01/07/2013
C-shaw
Jan 09, 2013 C-shaw rated it it was ok
This turned out to be mostly a RO-mance, and contained some bad grammar and facile scenarios. There is a sequel, but I won't bother readig it.
Valerie Waters
Oct 31, 2012 Valerie Waters rated it liked it
Shelves: lendable-ebooks, own
This book was good. Just wasn't one of those books I just couldn't put down.
Darlene
Mar 22, 2013 Darlene rated it really liked it
A good light read. Likable characters combined with good moral messages kept me reading.
Barbara Tifft
Nov 06, 2014 Barbara Tifft rated it liked it
The thing I liked best about this story was the author's strong descriptive writing, never too much, always the right word choices.
Val Wilkerson
Dec 20, 2012 Val Wilkerson rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
I think it was an ok read, nothing to rave about...not sorry I read it but it certainly doesn't qualify for more then 3 stars. The story just got to unbelievable is all I can say without spoilers.
Terry Young gammon
Terry Young gammon rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2013
autumn ritchie
autumn ritchie rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2017
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Leah
Leah rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2013
faye b pickens
faye b pickens rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Ron Beach
Ron Beach rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Jaybird
Jaybird rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2013
Tina Summers
Tina Summers rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Darlene
Darlene rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Diane
Diane rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Summer's Song
  • Mr Right and Other Mongrels
  • Springtime of the Spirit (The Great War, #3)
  • Stone of Destiny
  • The Obsession of Victoria Gracen
  • Uneasy Lies the Crown, A Novel of Owain Glyndwr
  • The Voyage of Promise (Grace in Africa, #2)
  • All Due Respect
  • Highland Sanctuary (Highlands #2)
  • Allerednic: A Regency Cinderella Tale--In Reverse (Heart of Warwickshire, #1)
  • Catching the Westbound
  • Still Life in Shadows
  • A Million Tears
  • Providence: Once Upon a Second Chance
  • Treasure of Egypt: Treasure of the Ancients
  • The Most Important Thing Happening
  • After All (Cassidy Men, #1)
  • Blood of Adam (Generations of Noah #1)