Start by marking “Sea Captain's Promise” as Want to Read:
Sea Captain's Promise

Sea Captain's Promise

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  17 reviews
If you’ve lost yourself, you need someone else to show you the way home.

When Thomas Quinn is eight-years-old, he asks a promise of an Irish sea captain: "If ever I should become like me father will you dunk me under the water 'til I cannot breathe? Will you, sir, please?"

The captain agrees.

Ten years later, Thomas is a womanizer, a thief and a drunk, who remembers a promis
Published December 24th 2010 by Joyce A Scott

To ask other readers questions about Sea Captain's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Captain's Promise

Chandra
Yaaayyyy....a break from fiction Romance! Yaaayyy

AUTHOR: Joyce A. Scott did a fantastic job of delivering a promise. SEA CAPTAIN’S PROMISE was a crescendo (a gradual increase) of a read. Her writing style is filled with action, adventure and tons of questions that needed to be answered. I had to forge ahead knowing Joyce had a surprise bag waiting just around the corner for me. Circumstances with humor? Yes. Touching? Well I cried in some parts. Awesome read for Adult and for YA (stubborn is as
Kyle Pratt
"Would you make me a promise," a young boy asks the sea captain, "If ever I should become like me father, will you dunk me under the water until I cannot breathe." However, ten years later the boy is Thomas, a petty thief and drunk. That promise is but a faded childhood memory when he, and his vagrant friend Farrell, are shanghaied onto a ship.

Set around the time of the Revolutionary War, the dialogue is written in the dialect of the time and includes much of the jargon of the sea. In some novel
Patricia C Robbins
High Seas Adventure

Very exciting but difficult to understand at times particularly when the revelation about the twins was introduced. It was hard to follow the dialogue because I wasn't sure who was talking. But the premise was good. A pleasant story.
Kira
2.5*

This book was OK, even quite good, up until a certain point. Then there was a backstory thrown in to the mix which was confusing and left more questions unanswered than answered. It also ended rather badly. It was a shame as it started off so well....
Kathy
A good read

I really enjoyed this read, but the end seemed a bit rushed. Things go along, they fight off the pirate, the end. I think going into the voyage to America a bit more would have smoothed the storyline into a more complete tale.
Barbara Tifft
The thing I liked best about this story was the author's strong descriptive writing, never too much, always the right word choices.
Susan Blackmon
Story started out with lots of promise but for me it fizzled in the end. However, I was really impressed with the writing style. It had a very old world feel to it. It did contain many errors that should have been caught with editing - not simple word errors but at least one paragraph structure I gave up puzzling out what the author meant to say. Did I regret spending my time reading it? No.
Janice Dick
Maybe I just read this book too slowly, interrupted by other things and other stories, but it was a bit too predictable and unrealistic for me. The author did manage to stay in the language of the day, both in dialogue and in thought, which is a good thing, and there were some good scenes of tension, but all in all, it seemed just a bit too contrived.
Jeremy Herrera
I wasn't sure about this book at first, but gave it a good chance.... I wasn't disappointed at the least. It has a great story of a wayward young man that learned what love is and what family really is about. Great message and moral compass to the story.
Elaine Wood
Very predictable. Part of the relationship in the story was given away before the storyline reached that point. I know an author is seeing these relationships her head before we do and can understand the mistake, but a good editor should have caught it.
Val Wilkerson
I think it was an ok read, nothing to rave about...not sorry I read it but it certainly doesn't qualify for more then 3 stars. The story just got to unbelievable is all I can say without spoilers.
Beth Erwin
Although this has some romantic themes, I didn't think it was a true romance novel. I enjoyed the characters, and the story line. A nice, light read with a solid backbone of redemption.
C-shaw
This turned out to be mostly a RO-mance, and contained some bad grammar and facile scenarios. There is a sequel, but I won't bother readig it.
Carla
It wasn't for me.

I started reading the book and it just didn't pull me in. It wasn't engaging. I gave it one star.
Darlene
A good light read. Likable characters combined with good moral messages kept me reading.
Valerie Waters
This book was good. Just wasn't one of those books I just couldn't put down.
Lindsay
Jan 07, 2013 Lindsay marked it as kindle-i-own-to-read
Amazon Freebie 01/07/2013
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
J
J added it
Aug 04, 2015
Leah Labbe
Leah Labbe marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Shelia
Shelia marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Bev
Bev marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Debbie Allen
Debbie Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Sea Fires (Blackstone Trilogy, #1)
  • The Voyage of Promise (Grace in Africa, #2)
  • Catching the Westbound
  • Springtime of the Spirit (The Great War, #3)
  • Allerednic: A Regency Cinderella Tale--In Reverse (Heart of Warwickshire, #1)
  • The Obsession of Victoria Gracen
  • Wyvern
  • Hell Around the Horn
  • The Rebel's Pledge
  • The Devil's Fire (Devil's Fire, #1)
  • Cerulean Isle
  • Stone of Destiny
  • Providence
  • In the Shadow of Lions: A Novel of Anne Boleyn (Chronicles of the Scribe #1)
  • Summer's Song
  • Promise Me
  • All Due Respect
  • Mr Right and Other Mongrels
Graveside Manner: October's Eve The Master's Garden No Ordinary Hero Two Souls Journey Sea Captain's Promise II: Revenge of the Sea Witch