Start by marking “Good News for Those Trying Harder” as Want to Read:
Good News for Those Trying Harder

Good News for Those Trying Harder

A lot of people seem angry with the Church. But what is really beneath the anger is exhaustion. They're tired. Tired of trying and then trying harder. They yearn for the "burden is light" they read about in Scripture.

Author and pastor Alan Kraft offers a simple solution: Return to the gospel. Alan believes that we often view the gospel as only the starting point of faith,

ebook
Published April 1st 2011 by David C Cook (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Good News for Those Trying Harder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good News for Those Trying Harder

Sequin DeMar
Jan 08, 2012 Sequin DeMar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am pleased to say that I know this pastor personally, because he is my pastor! A great teacher and a very Godly man whose goal it is, is to minister. Very well!
Gary B
May 07, 2015 Gary B rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, read-2015
A fantastic book! The first half describes how and where believers can fall off the rails in terms of our self-effort towards salvation, and the second half describes some remedies for that situation.

Alan poses the question towards the end of the first half of the book as to whether you choose to please God or trust God - because our answer leads us either towards (futile) self effort or grace.

I found the first half slightly more engaging than the second. The second describes four remedies for o
Simon
Nov 04, 2012 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This was a book that I needed to read. It's thesis is that Christians are acceptable to God solely because of Jesus and what he has done for them. However, as Christians it's easy to gradually forget this basis of our acceptance with God and to try to please God through the things that we do. As a result, we can become performance orientated and can continually be seeking in our own effort to make ourselves pleasing to God. This leads to frustration and weariness.

Kraft keeps reiterating that the
K
Nov 03, 2012 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book was tremendously moving. It made the gospel fresh again. It gave me a lot of hope as Kraft diligently went through the scripture, making plain that Jesus's job has been finished. My only criticisms are that he cuts this short in favor of giving us things to do, which he spends the first half telling us not to do. The clumsiness with which the second half was written makes me believe the publisher told the author he needs to add a "to do" list to sell the book. The book should have end
Doug Dale
Nov 15, 2013 Doug Dale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This is actually the second time I've read this book and for whatever reason I really appreciated what Alan Kraft has shared in this book this time around. I've had a lot of discussions around what a "gospel-centered" life is or what it means to "apply the gospel" in various situations, and I really like Alan's approach to it. This will be a book I'll recommend to people trying to understand how the truth of the gospel is not just about the one-time moment we stepped into faith in Jesus, but als ...more
Ruth
Jul 08, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has lead me to an epic moment in my spiritual journey. For someone raised in a very legalistic denomination, being able to come to the understanding that my salvation has been already accomplished and I can't work hard enough to attain it - it's already done - has been more than a "light bulb" moment! I will definitely be reading this book again so the incredible message can keep sinking in to this old brain. I highly recommend this book. It is a MUST READ!
Nat
Jun 27, 2013 Nat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe the books strengths lie in the first seven chapters or so. I felt the last few were pretty weak and based on too much experiental emphasis. Why force it?

Also, quoting Blue Like Jazz? Shouldn't they have been confessing to God and not man their sins? I understand what they were trying to do, but where was the gospel in that (which is at the core of Kraft's book)?
Tamera
Awesome book

So good. Would recommend this to anybody and everybody. For somebody that is very rule oriented, it's helped me see how I need to embrace my brokenness and not try to have a list of requirements I fulfill to earn Jesus' love. Amazing book. It has changed my entire perspective and I know it will change my life.
Peter Mead
Jul 26, 2014 Peter Mead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very easy read, and a very helpful one too. Our sin is worse than we realized, but our salvation is so much greater than we even dared to imagine. This is a book to read and a book to give away. I wish he’d offered something a bit bolder on Bible reading, but other than that caveat I wholeheartedly endorse the book.
Amy
Oct 30, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! This book had a huge impact on me and opened my eyes to so many things. I've been trying to focus less on "doing" and more on "being," and this was just what I needed to read. I'm going to read it again!
Renada Thompson
I must have copied a dozen passages from this book into my journal. Plan to reread.
Tim Ogle
Feb 03, 2014 Tim Ogle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good restarting point for you.

It truly is good news.
Christian Cheong
Aug 09, 2011 Christian Cheong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tired of trying, read this! Gospel at its core. Worth reading. It will transform your life!
Tamera
Jul 16, 2016 Tamera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. I would recommend it to anyone!
Don
Apr 20, 2010 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really appreciated this book. Kraft does a fine job emphasizing how the Gospel leads to freedom and joy, not legalism and rules, for followers of Christ. I highly recommend this book.
Anoron
Anoron rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Aimee Krommendyk
Aimee Krommendyk rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2013
Donna Daniel
Donna Daniel rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2011
Lance
Lance rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2009
Taja
Taja rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2017
Lori Roeleveld
Lori Roeleveld rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2013
Arthur C. Woods II
Arthur C. Woods II rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
Dawn Campau
Dawn Campau rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Chad Cowgill
Chad Cowgill rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2013
Blake Western
Blake Western rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Timothy Spencer Horne
Timothy Spencer Horne rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2013
Alex Mandes
Alex Mandes rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2013
Cynthia J McCracken
Cynthia J McCracken rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Similar books? 1 2 Aug 27, 2012 05:24AM
  • What's Your Secret?: Freedom through Confession
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • Jesus in the Present Tense: The I AM Statements of Christ
  • Secondhand Jesus: Trading Rumors of God for a Firsthand Faith
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • More Than Ordinary: Enjoying Life with God
  • Deliver Us from Me-Ville
  • 7 Simple Choices for a Better Tomorrow
  • God Can't Sleep: Waiting for Daylight On Life's Dark Nights
  • Standing Strong: How to Resist the Enemy of Your Soul
  • The God Who Sees You: Look to Him When You Feel Discouraged, Forgotten, or Invisible
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • Holy Habits: A Woman's Guide to Intentional Living
  • Caught Off Guard: Encounters with the Unexpected God
  • When You Don't Know What to Pray: How to Talk to God about Anything
  • The Jesus Experiment: What Happens When You Follow in His Footsteps?
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living

“Two paths with very worthy objectives, but only one results in pleasing God; ironically, it is not the Pleasing God path! When we choose the path of Pleasing God, we end up neither pleasing Him nor learning to live by faith. Our spiritual lives are dependent upon our ability to follow. But when we choose the Trusting God path, continually admitting our brokenness and humbly embracing the sufficiency of Christ, we experience both trusting God and pleasing God. Our spiritual lives are not motivated by guilt, fear, and shame but by love, desire, and gratitude. Two paths … very different results. In the powerful words of Robert Frost, “I chose the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference.” This choice truly does make all the difference in our lives.” 1 likes
“This is how faith changes us. It is not simply that we are trusting Jesus to help us become more holy. No. It is that we are more and more allowing the holiness of Christ to be freely expressed in us. Rather than trying to be more righteous, we actually experience His righteousness flowing through us. Rather than us trying to be more loving, we experience His love flowing through us into the people around us. Rather than us trying to have more holy desires, we experience the holy desires of Jesus. This is what sanctification looks like. This is what it means to drink deeply of Jesus. The more deeply and frequently we drink, the more fully His life is expressed through us.” 0 likes