Good News for Those Trying Harder

Good News for Those Trying Harder

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  10 reviews

A lot of people seem angry with the Church. But what is really beneath the anger is exhaustion. They're tired. Tired of trying and then trying harder. They yearn for the "burden is light" they read about in Scripture.

Author and pastor Alan Kraft offers a simple solution: Return to the gospel. Alan believes that we often view the gospel as only the starting point of faith,

ebook
Published (first published October 1st 2008)

Simon
This was a book that I needed to read. It's thesis is that Christians are acceptable to God solely because of Jesus and what he has done for them. However, as Christians it's easy to gradually forget this basis of our acceptance with God and to try to please God through the things that we do. As a result, we can become performance orientated and can continually be seeking in our own effort to make ourselves pleasing to God. This leads to frustration and weariness.

Kraft keeps reiterating that the...more
K

This book was tremendously moving. It made the gospel fresh again. It gave me a lot of hope as Kraft diligently went through the scripture, making plain that Jesus's job has been finished. My only criticisms are that he cuts this short in favor of giving us things to do, which he spends the first half telling us not to do. The clumsiness with which the second half was written makes me believe the publisher told the author he needs to add a "to do" list to sell the book. The book should have end...more
Doug Dale
This is actually the second time I've read this book and for whatever reason I really appreciated what Alan Kraft has shared in this book this time around. I've had a lot of discussions around what a "gospel-centered" life is or what it means to "apply the gospel" in various situations, and I really like Alan's approach to it. This will be a book I'll recommend to people trying to understand how the truth of the gospel is not just about the one-time moment we stepped into faith in Jesus, but als...more
Ruth
This book has lead me to an epic moment in my spiritual journey. For someone raised in a very legalistic denomination, being able to come to the understanding that my salvation has been already accomplished and I can't work hard enough to attain it - it's already done - has been more than a "light bulb" moment! I will definitely be reading this book again so the incredible message can keep sinking in to this old brain. I highly recommend this book. It is a MUST READ!
Nat
I believe the books strengths lie in the first seven chapters or so. I felt the last few were pretty weak and based on too much experiental emphasis. Why force it?

Also, quoting Blue Like Jazz? Shouldn't they have been confessing to God and not man their sins? I understand what they were trying to do, but where was the gospel in that (which is at the core of Kraft's book)?
Amy
Awesome! This book had a huge impact on me and opened my eyes to so many things. I've been trying to focus less on "doing" and more on "being," and this was just what I needed to read. I'm going to read it again!
Don
I really appreciated this book. Kraft does a fine job emphasizing how the Gospel leads to freedom and joy, not legalism and rules, for followers of Christ. I highly recommend this book.
Sequin DeMar
I am pleased to say that I know this pastor personally, because he is my pastor! A great teacher and a very Godly man whose goal it is, is to minister. Very well!
Christian Cheong
Tired of trying, read this! Gospel at its core. Worth reading. It will transform your life!
Renada Thompson
I must have copied a dozen passages from this book into my journal. Plan to reread.
Sharon Gray
Sharon Gray marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
David White
David White marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Susan Ross
Susan Ross marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Michael Whitworth
Michael Whitworth marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Melissa Whitbeck
Melissa Whitbeck marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
David Thorpe
David Thorpe marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Chalaina
Chalaina marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Angela Cornett
Angela Cornett marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Christina Rodriguez
Christina Rodriguez marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Tony Lemus
Tony Lemus marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Sara Anderson
Sara Anderson marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Dustin
Dustin marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014