Start by marking “Tequila Sunset” as Want to Read:
Tequila Sunset

Tequila Sunset

El Paso, Texas. Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. Two cities. Different sides of the border. They share streets. They share families. But most of all they share crime. And one gang rules over it all: Barrio Azteca.

In TEQUILA SUNSET, three people are confronted by Los Aztecas' ruthless power: a reluctant gang member, an El Paso police officer, and a Mexican federal agent. As their pat
Published November 1st 2012 by Serpent's Tail

To ask other readers questions about Tequila Sunset, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tequila Sunset

James Thane
Jun 29, 2014 James Thane rated it really liked it
This is another story that focuses on the "war" on drugs. It's centered at the point on the U.S.-Mexico border where the cities of El Paso and Ciudad Juarez are in many ways joined together, even though they are divided by the international border that runs between them. A street gang called the Aztecas works both sides of the line, causing serious problems both for civilians and for law enforcement personnel.

The story is told through the perspectives of several characters. Principal among them
Vivienne
This was a solid police procedural set jointly in El Paso, Texas and Juárez, Mexico and chronicling the work of a joint task force that is seeking to take down a drug ring run by the Los Aztecas gang. The task force are being aided in this by Felipe (Flip) Morales, a young gang member who has turned C.I. for his own reasons.

The format was comprised of short, pacey chapters that alternated between Flip, El Paso detective Cristina Salas, who is balancing her work with the anti-gang unit with the d
Ross Cumming
Sep 02, 2013 Ross Cumming rated it really liked it
I first came across Sam Hawken via his novel The Dead Women of Juarez, which kept popping up in my 'recommended for you' list on Amazon and I eventually succumbed and decided to give it a go. I haven't looked back since and have read and enjoyed his other novel Juarez Dance and his three Camaro novellas to date and look forward to the fourth.
Tequila Sunset tells of the story of the fight against drugs and arms smuggling in the border towns of El Paso in the USA and Juarez in Mexico. However Hawk
Tjr Rhodes
Oct 20, 2013 Tjr Rhodes rated it it was amazing
If Stieg Larsonn’s work is remembered as the blue flame to forever hold crime fiction novels to, then Sam Hawken’s “Tequila Sunset” definitely burns a bright orange. A crime fiction novel set in current time Ciudad Juarez involves a look in the gun and drug trade between Texas and Mexico that helped gangs thrive, make corrupt police officers keep their mouth shut, and even brings in American border patrol agents to bring an even more international feel was an enjoyable read. When finished once ...more
Emma-Louise
Dec 17, 2013 Emma-Louise rated it really liked it
Thank you Sam Hawken, for short, punchy chapters! I LOVE short chapters of 6-8 pages, as I find I can continue reading for longer (sounds odd, but I couldn't put this book down and finished it very quickly) In contrast, I'm also currently reading Tarka the Otter. You probably couldn't get more polar opposite styles of writing.
In short, kind of like reading The Shield in book format. Without the corrupt Vic Mackie.

Hector Acosta
Jan 10, 2013 Hector Acosta rated it really liked it
first came across Sam Hawken's work via DEAD WOMEN OF JUAREZ. I'd lived in both Juarez and El Paso back in my younger days, and the idea of a hardboiled story in that setting appealed to me. DEAD WOMEN ended up being one of my favorite books of the year, largely because it did a great job of portraying Juarez, while at the same time telling a really good story with two interesting leads. And without spoiling anything, I thought that it also took some ballsy chances in the way it told the story. ...more
William Johnson
Well ... finally. I'm done. I read this for my book club and though I found most of it 'comfort food', 'paint-by-numbers' reading (thin characters, basic plot, A to B to C story telling), I slowly started to hate it. And I don't mean, 'hmmm, nice try but sorry, didn't like it'. No, downright apathy! I HATED READING THIS!!!!

I'm not sure why. The book sticks to a formula ... a formula that usually works ... and hits all the key points before ending. But something just seems off and as the book com
Todd
Apr 26, 2014 Todd rated it it was amazing
Sam Hawken has done it again. This book starts fast and grips the reader from start to end. Hawken has a writing style that brings the characters to life and allows the reader a glimpse beyond the action and into the lives of each character. Throughout this book I felt like I knew what was going to happen only to find out I didn't. I deeply enjoyed Camaro Run series, and expected this book to be well written, but was pleasantly surprised when it exceeded my expectations.

Will the good guys win or
Deanne
Jun 11, 2014 Deanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimethriller
A fast paced story with three points of view, the American detective, the Mexican federal officer and the young gangster trying to stay a step ahead of the gangsters. It's a dangerous business, but who's going to survive once the dust settles.
It's the sort of book that doesn't require the reader to work out what's going on, everything is provided for you.
Tuck
police procedural/crime/gang novel set in el paso and juarez. a blurb name checks 'james cain'. oh if only. rather dull and slow i thought, but good info on border life and crime, and cops.
but not very noir.
Neptunium
Feb 12, 2015 Neptunium rated it liked it
Solid, but not as good as Missing. This one didn't really come together in a cohesive manner overall. I'd still recommend Missing as Tequila Sunset lacks the characters and punch of it's compatriate.
Erin Gray
Nov 12, 2016 Erin Gray rated it liked it
Shelves: scwbc16
3.5
Sam
Mar 15, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
This is a really good fast paced crime thriller that delves into the murky world of the cross border Mexican gangs that dominate the criminal underworld of Texas and its surroundings. Told primarily through the story of Flip, a young convict who finds himself pulled into the Azteca world despite his best intentions, the story shows the complexity of the gangs and the hold they have over their members and their communities and the efforts of the police and other bodies to bring them to some form ...more
John Antonsson
Apr 17, 2014 John Antonsson rated it liked it
I read the text on the back. Saw a cool cover. Liked the basic plot idea, but in the end I was kinda disappointed.
Hawken writes about drugs, gangs, cops and the border cities. Its like a perfect recipe for a great crime novel. But still its no more than okay. Even though we get to learn the characters I never really get a feeling for them. Like the ex-con Flip. Hes kin of likable, but still I dont get what his motivation is, Hawken never really shows whats the fuel in anyones engine.
I wouldnt
Gary
Oct 31, 2014 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story with an OK ending. The title seems so generic as to have been something thought up by the publisher or editor since it has no bearing whatsoever on the story (especially since none of the characters seem to drink tequila-just beer). This is nothing like the FX series "The Bridge" other than it takes place in El Paso and Juarez and involves cops and criminals on both sides of the border. Enjoyed the book but I have to say that candidates for the 2013 Golden Dagger nominee list must ...more
Karyn
Mar 10, 2015 Karyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A good plot, but the end is very abrupt, and doesn't feel thoughtfully considered. Characters are not well imagined or developed, very basic and bland tropes. You feel the lack of imagination in the characters when several of them consistently eat microwaved dinners standing in their kitchens and watch tv without absorbing what they're watching; i.e., they feel more like placeholders than actual characters because they are so one-dimensional.
Christopher Williams
Feb 20, 2016 Christopher Williams rated it really liked it
Have recently discovered Sam Hawken and this is the third book I have read. Really enjoyed it and hope there are many more to look forward to. Writes good plots, characters and sets the scene/place very well too. All good for me.
Gavin Moore
May 20, 2014 Gavin Moore rated it liked it
Hmmm. I'm not sure about this book, although I found it extremely entertaining in parts, it just didn't have me gripped the whole way through. I was able to put this book down far too easily and therefore I'm unable to give more than 3 stars.
Stefania Guerra
Crime story from 3 points of view. A good book for long trips on a plane, but nothing too special. The plot itself is really simple. It would probably make a decent movie but the deeper issues of the situation are left somewhat unexplained/untouched.
Johannes
Some kind of interesting and slightly twisted storyline, but the tension did not really gather any pace and even the "thriller"-parts were finished after a few pages. I also was kind of distracted by the vast number of small chapters instead of bigger ones.
Sintija
Some paragraphs were predictable, especially where Matias got shot at, some paragraphs did not made any sense, otherwise good bedtime reading.

Monica
Apr 26, 2016 Monica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cool cover, exotic location but that's about it. Flimsy plot, paper-thin characters, wished he talked more about tacos and tequila. 1 start and 1/2
Katy Ovens
Dec 22, 2015 Katy Ovens rated it really liked it
Loved this book, took me a while to get into due to the switching of characters, but after a few chapters I got to grips with that.
Brian Southworth
Brian Southworth rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Marisol Clark
Marisol Clark rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it did not like it
Aug 11, 2016
Veronica Lucero
Nov 04, 2014 Veronica Lucero rated it liked it
bla
Lauren Copeland
Lauren Copeland rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Angie Tran
Angie Tran rated it liked it
May 31, 2015
Maaike
Maaike rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2014
  • Outsourced
  • Panic Attack
  • Shadow Season
  • Safer
  • Blitz (Inspector Brant, #4)
  • Blood Tears (DI Ray McBain, #1)
  • Smokeheads
  • Hard Bite
  • Old Gold
  • Out of the Black
2919871
Sam Hawken is the best-selling and Crime Writers Association Dagger-nominated author of the Camaro Espinoza thriller series, as well as the critically acclaimed Borderland Trilogy.
More about Sam Hawken...