Start by marking “Burn Baby Burn: A Supervillain Novel” as Want to Read:
Burn Baby Burn: A Supervillain Novel

Burn Baby Burn: A Supervillain Novel (Whoosh! Bam! Pow! #2)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Sundancer is a militant radical who channels the heat and light of the sun, capable of melting steel and vaporizing anyone who stands in her way. Pit Geek is seemingly immortal, able to survive any injury, but haunted by fragmented memories. Together, these supervillains launch a crime spree bold enough to threaten the world's economy.

To stop them, the government authorize
Published October 1st 2012 by James Maxey (first published October 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Burn Baby Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burn Baby Burn

David
Jan 03, 2015 David rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mad scientist chimpanzees, born-again supervillains, naked headless women who can nuke cities
This book is a sequel to Nobody Gets the Girl, but it is really a stand-alone novel in the same universe. The supervillain main characters, Sundancer (formerly Burn Baby) and Pit Geek were secondary characters in Nobody Gets the Girl — here, they become the antihero protagonists.

James Maxey's superhero universe is as creatively disordered as any comic book universe. There are aliens. There are supergeniuses who have literally remade the world. There are wormholes in space, powers that literally
Michael
Dec 29, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing follow-up to Nobody Gets the Girl. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that it is better in just about every way than the first book.

I've always been a sucker for books where the lines of good and evil are not clear-cut. Sunday was brainwashed by her father. Pit was damaged and confused. Servant/Ogre was a conflicted bully. None of them were completely innocent, nor were they completely guilty.

The nods to Nobody Gets the Girl were nice, while I appreciated that no knowledge of t
Stephen
Oct 15, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhero-books
I do love superheroes! Comics, movies, and novels, it does not matter.

I read the previous volume in this series about this time last year. I had a lot of fun reading it.
So, I picked this one up knowing some of what I had in store for me. And I was not disappointed.

This book picks up a few months/years after Nobody Gets the Girl. The story follows two of the minor villains from the previous book as they look for purpose in a world without their megalomaniacal former leader.

The pair end up causing
Don Massi
Aug 20, 2016 Don Massi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a big fan of James Maxey's "Nobody Gets the Girl", I was eagerly looking forward to his next foray into the super hero world. As soon as I saw "Burn Baby Burn", I down loaded it to my Nook. I wanted to take my time, really savor this book. But I couldn't do it! "Burn Baby Burn" was just too exciting, too awesome to put down! I read this book in a day, I couldn't stop turning pages!
This time it's the super villians who get the spotlight, specifically Sundancer and Pit Geek. Maxey does an i
Jeff
Nov 21, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it
Reading self-published novels is seldom more rewarding than a tedious chore. They're generally poorly written, poorly plotted, poorly proofed, poorly printed, and just poorly executed all around. So I'm excited to say James Maxey's Burn Baby Burn is none of the above! While it does lack the polish that a publishing house complete with a full staff of professional editors, copyeditors, and proofreaders could provide, it still manages to be both immensely readable and insanely enjoyable. With that ...more
Douglas Meyer
Stick with "Nobody Gets the Girl" unless you REALLY like downer stories.

This book starts out ok, and it has some good ideas and things you don't see elsewhere. However it is on a downward slope pretty much from the beginning.
It starts off pretty negative and only manages to go down from there.
By the end you will look back ad the sad beginning of the story as the highlight and happy time of the book.
The protagonist don't have much redeeming qualities about them and the so called hero's are worse.
Ruby Ridge
Sep 26, 2015 Ruby Ridge rated it it was ok
I am a big fan of Superhero and Supervillain stories and am real sorry to say this book disappoints. It starts off real well then just dies. Feel bad going against the trend here but that is how I see it.
Edward Carpenter
James Maxey is a great author... Start with "Nobody Gets the Girl", and then get ready to root for the bad guys (and girls!) in this sequel... Have found a new favorite author! (this will last all of a month until I've read all his books - and I can see this distracting from my own writing!) Curses!
Eric
Whoa. The last thirty pages of this book is like a non-stop rush of superhero super id. Highly recommended when drinking.

Full review here: http://superheronovels.wordpress.com/...
Ivan Heneghan
Ivan Heneghan marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Jonathan Young
Jonathan Young rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Ron Judenberg
Ron Judenberg rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Jahanan Williams
Jahanan Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Aaron Guilford
Aaron Guilford rated it it was ok
May 23, 2016
Martin Mcnamara
Martin Mcnamara rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Scotoma
Scotoma rated it it was ok
May 21, 2016
Madison Keller
Madison Keller marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Denis
Denis marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Adam Haner
Adam Haner rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Brian Repinski
Brian Repinski rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Leon T. Chiu
Leon T. Chiu rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2016
Gregory Rieper
Gregory Rieper rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Todd Watson
Todd Watson rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
  • Other People's Heroes
  • Don't Be a Hero
  • Unholy Empire (Chronicles of the Host #2)
  • Villains Inc. (Wearing the Cape #2)
  • Straying From the Path
  • In Hero Years... I'm Dead
  • Trigger & Friends
  • Memoirs of an Antihero
  • Humans Need Not Apply
  • A King of Infinite Space (Near Space, #5)
  • Black Sea Gods (Chronicles of Fu Xi, #1)
  • Paradise (Galactic Comedy #1)
  • Guardian of Night
  • Starve Better: Surviving the Endless Horror of the Writing Life
  • Tekgrrl (Elite Hands of Justice, #2)
  • The Judas Kiss (The Judas Curse, #2)
  • Nova, Vol. 3: Nova Corpse
  • The Archmage (Just Cause Universe #2)
I've been an avid reader since I first picked up a book. Luckily, I was within biking distance of three different libraries growing up. I was a skinny kid. If only I had maintained that link between biking and reading, I might be a skinny adult.

I'm also a writer. I wrote my first book as a kid, an adventure about pirates and ghosts. When I was a teenager, I used to write superhero adventures. The
More about James Maxey...

Whoosh! Bam! Pow! (2 books)
  • Nobody Gets the Girl (Whoosh! Bam! Pow!, #1)