Start by marking “Needles and Artifice: A Refined Adventure Story with Ingenious Knitting Patterns” as Want to Read:

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The Ladies of Mischief Interrupt Their Knitting to Present to You…

Gentle ladies and kind sirs: welcome to the world of Needles and Artifice, where corseted Victorian fashion gets an energized infusion of punk.

In this fantastically playful take on steampunk knitwear design, the Ladies of Mischie
Published October 2012 by Cooperative Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Needles and Artifice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Needles and Artifice

Melinda
Dec 08, 2015 Melinda rated it liked it
I like steampunk and I like women owning their personalities and respecting each other while having a blast. This is an adventure story that includes tea, knitting and Amazonian sheep! It's not a complicated story but it made reading a pattern book infinitely more fun. It would be nice if there was a follow up book but I think this is a standalone volume. The pattern weren't as interesting as the story, mainly because steampunk costumes aren't everyday wear for me and I don't know anyone to knit ...more
Margot
Oct 19, 2013 Margot rated it really liked it
Needles and Artifice is a combo steampunk short story and steampunk knitting patterns. My four stars goes toward the patterns, which I would actually have granted five stars except the way the patterns are given seems sometimes overly complicated and not streamlined enough (based on my reading the patterns). I haven't tried to knit any of them yet. Though I will! Their claim of "ingenious knitting patterns" is really no exaggeration.

The short story aspect of the book, I would give only two stars
glitrbug
Oct 15, 2012 glitrbug rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This is so cool. I got the version where you get the Ebook right away and the hard copy once it's published. I've never understood why anyone would want both before, but in this case where there is both a story and knitting patterns, it makes perfect sense. How many times have I squashed a spendy pattern book to my scanner in an attempt to get a copy of a knitting chart I can put on a clip board? This way I can print out the pattern I am working on so I can easily see it and mark the rows off a ...more
JennaL
Feb 02, 2013 JennaL rated it it was amazing
Stellar.

An amazing blend of storytelling and knitting patterns. The patterns in and of themselves are gorgeous (I've ordered 2 colors to make myself 2 frockcoats and some simply amazing silk blend for the Hush chemise already) but even more, the story itself is outstanding! Even my very-much-Not-a-knitter husband got sucked into the story and loved it.

The best of both the story and the craft world. The only downside I can say? The anxious waiting for the ladies to hurry up and get the next book
SarahLouise
Jan 09, 2013 SarahLouise rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, knitting
A lovely book for the money and a great concept - knitting patterns matched with steampunk characters and an airship adventure, what more could I ask for?!

The quality of patterns was brilliant and I loved the sheer quantity they've included here, as well as writing an interesting and reasonably engaging storyline. Although it read a little more like brain candy I still enjoyed reading the different chapters and the character perspectives and profiles, though I did feel like I might as well have
Voirrey
Jul 24, 2015 Voirrey rated it really liked it
What fun! A knitting pattern book held together with a short steampunk novella.

The patterns all look wonderful when seen in the photos - but although I am a competent knitter the written versions scare me - why do Americans write big chunks of their knitting patterns in semaphore?
Josiphine
Four stars for patterns...one star for the story.

The patterns, though, are really pretty. I'm making the sky captain coat right now and while I'm not overwhelmingly fond of the pattern writing, it's clear enough for me to know what I'm doing. Just don't read the story; it's awful.
Donna Jo Atwood
Mar 16, 2013 Donna Jo Atwood rated it liked it
Shelves: steam-punk, knitting
How often do you get a steampunk adventure WITH knitting patterns?

The story follows the adventures of a group of Ladies who turn male/female relationships upside down, but in a genteel sort of way. There is always time for tea and knitting. (It was so nice to know that Kristoff makes a good cheese toast. I'd like to meet him myself.)
The moral of the story...Don't mess with intrepid ladies with mad mechanical skills.

The patterns are probably not for beginners and a few look rather daunting at fir
Janie
Jun 22, 2014 Janie rated it really liked it
Delightful with unique and lovely patterns. Lots of fun!
Tania
Sep 15, 2013 Tania rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if I really get to claim that I've finished this book until I've knit one of the patterns, but, given how long it will take me to do that, I'm claiming completion. I really do want to try some of the patterns, though. Oh Legacy Frock Coat, you will be mine.
Jenna
Dec 26, 2012 Jenna rated it it was amazing
What more could you ask for from a book? Adorable and engaging story, wonderfully creative knitting patterns, beautiful photos and an overall creative experience. Simply beautiful. I'm so proud of the Ladies for all they have accomplished!
Lisa Swope
Lisa Swope marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Fernleaf
Fernleaf marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Sara Lily
Sara Lily rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Emma-jane Stevens
Emma-jane Stevens rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Karen H
Karen H marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Shyla
Shyla added it
Sep 22, 2015
Johanna Latham
Johanna Latham marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Nostalgia Reader
Nostalgia Reader marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Wolf Graf
Wolf Graf rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Elyshia Schafer
Elyshia Schafer is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2015
Claire
Claire added it
Jun 03, 2015
Evita Orrock
Evita Orrock rated it really liked it
May 29, 2015
Sjmakes
Sjmakes marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Jeannette
Jeannette rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Charlotte Dadswell
Charlotte Dadswell rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015