Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Iron Legion” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Iron Legion

Doctor Who: The Iron Legion (Doctor Who Graphic Novels: The Fourth Doctor #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The Doctor visits a small English town to stock up on jelly babies, but finds it under attack by robot Roman legionnaires from an alternate timeline. The TARDIS falls through the “dimensional duct” to the alternate Rome, where the Doctor is interrogated by the robot General Ironicus. When he refuses to give up the secrets of time travel, he is thrown to the Ecto-Slime in t ...more
Published January 22nd 2013 by Panini UK Ltd (first published July 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Brendon Schrodinger
This collection is of the first five or so comic stories that ran in Doctor Who Magazine when it first started in the 1970's. This is a start to a journey for me, as I intend to read and reread all the DWM comics from start until present, through the collections. My heydey of reading and collecting DWM was from about 1991-98 and I loved the comics ran at that time which were mainly 7th Doctor comics.

The Iron Legion presents five stories that were at best a bit fun, at worst a bit cringeworthy. M
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/900488.html[return][return]This is a collection of the Doctor Who comic strips from 1979-80 featuring Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor, originally published in the first 38 issues of Doctor Who Monthly; all inked and drawn by Dave Gibbons, but five different stories, of which the first and third are presented as by "Pat Mills and John Wagner", the second and fourth as by "John Wagner and Pat Mills", and the fifth is by Steve Moore. The presentation of the material is OK, ...more
Rich
I enjoyed the hell out of this. It restored my faith in the pure fun of comics. Great bed time reading, it invovles the Doctor trying to go on holiday to Benidorm but ending up in various strange places on the way and getting involved in all sorts of crazy sci-fi adventures. It's based on the Tom Baker Doctor, which is cool because he's my favourite. He's an eccentrically British hero, with a a taste for tea and jelly babies and his chilled out sense of humour coupled with his clear heroism make ...more
Steve
I can't recommend this collection highly enough. The stories are master classes in economic, fast-paced, witty writing. Dave Gibbons' artwork is fantastic, perfectly capturing Tom Baker's wackier Doctor.

No idea when these stories take place continuity-wise, or if that's even important. K9 is the only TV companion present and a brief mention is made of Leela.

I especially love Time Witch where The Doctor takes on an ancient criminal in a funny psychic battle. This was a story I had in its origina
Dan
I remember wanting to read these way back in middle school, but couldn't afford them if I bought the Target novels. Glad I went with the novels. The art is great, but the stories could be a lot more interesting, even though they're collected from comic strips...
Travis
One of the best Doctor Who comic stories ever.
The 4th Doctor lands on an alternate Earth where Rome never fell and they are now are armed with all kinds of funky robots as they begin to work on conquering the universe.

Lots of great, funky robot designs, clever lines from the Doctor, evil monsters and a couple of great robotic sidekicks for the Doctor.
Great final scene between the Doctor and the main bad guy.
Rich Meyer
Many of the stories in this book were reprinted in the late eighties in Marvel Comics' Marvel Premiere title, but they look a lot better in the original black-and-white. Dave Gibbons (of Watchmen fame), provides some excellent artwork. The stories all feature the Fourth Doctor and K-9, post-Leela, and are all combinations of what you'd see on the TV show and in 2000 AD. Great fun!
Evelina
Instead of ending up in Benidorm on holiday as he wanted, 4th Doctor lands in parallel universe power hungry Rome, now equipped with robot technology, and is interrogated by General Ironicus about the mysteries of time travel. Love that it is in black and white and the familiar Doctor’s wittiness is there.
Justin  K. Rivers
Dave Gibbons' art is classic, but the stories are fanwankish less sophisticated than later, more mature Who comics. Some fun moments with the 4th Doctor, but the writing drags it down a bit.
Angela
Angela is currently reading it
May 24, 2015
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
May 07, 2015
MathiasD
MathiasD marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Jenni
Jenni added it
Feb 27, 2015
Angela Alexander
Angela Alexander marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Camille
Camille marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Mark Cole
Mark Cole marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Linda Williams
Linda Williams marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Nov 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dave Gibbons is an English comic book artist, writer and sometime letterer. He is best known for his collaborations with writer Alan Moore, which include the miniseries Watchmen and the Superman story "For the Man Who Has Everything". He also was an artist for the UK anthology 2000 AD, for which he contributed a large body of work from its first issue in 1977.

Gibbons broke into British comics by w
More about Dave Gibbons...

Doctor Who Graphic Novels: The Fourth Doctor (2 books)
  • Doctor Who: Dragon's Claw
Green Lantern Corps, Vol. 2: The Dark Side of Green Watching the Watchmen: The Definitive Companion to the Ultimate Graphic Novel Batman vs. Predator Rann-Thanagar War Green Lantern Corps, Vol. 1: To Be a Lantern