Start by marking “Mapping Manhattan: A Love (And Sometimes Hate) Story in 75 Maps” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Mapping Manhattan: A L...
Becky Cooper

Mapping Manhattan: A Love (And Sometimes Hate) Story in 75 Maps

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Armed with hundreds of blank maps she had painstakingly printed by hand, Becky Cooper walked Manhattan from end to end. Along her journey she met police officers, homeless people, fashion models, and senior citizens who had lived in Manhattan all their lives. She asked the strangers to "map their Manhattan" and to mail the personalized maps back to her. Soon, her P.O. box ...more
Published April 1st 2013 by Abrams Image

To ask other readers questions about Mapping Manhattan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mapping Manhattan

this is a unique format - part essay, part art project, part found media(?). it can be read in one sitting, but is the kind of book that anyone who loves new york will naturally feel drawn back to time and again. there is so much charm and room for empathy in the maps. i have the feeling that this book will resonate less with people who have not spent time in new york. there is something about the richness and intensity of simply being in new york that imbues places and life events with such a s ...more
Becky Cooper and friend hiked the entire 13-mile length of Broadway handing out blank maps of Manhattan for people to fill in and mail back to her. The results (by some famous names but mostly anonymous folks) are a delightfully artistic and fascinating ode to the city... and to life and love. Interspersed with the maps are Cooper's own reflections of her project and the history of the city. This is one to savor! I found myself wondering how I would fill in a map of my favorite city (San Francis ...more
I absolutely loved this book, what an awesome idea for a project. I read this with a post it note in the back where I jotted down things to include on my map of Manhattan, so many memories. So glad I bought it, and I highly recommend it to anyone who's been to NYC.
For all of us who've ever been in a relationship with that little island off the coast of America, this book is a tiny window into her other suitors' souls. I laughed. I cried. It was better than "Cats."
Absolutely beautiful book - really makes you think about the places where memories are made and how location impacts what you think of a city as a whole.
This was a book that although interesting to read, did not live up to my expectations. The concept seemed wonderful, but I felt that some of the maps chosen for the book were just OK.

The book is printed in a small and narrow format, which I felt made it difficult at times to read all the handwriting on the maps.

Though it was interesting to see what individuals decided to create with their blank maps, I guess I just had the idea that there would be more wild and elaborate maps. In general, I fel
Suzanne Artis
I love the many layers of this book...tidbits of NYC history, personalized maps by a spectrum of New Yorkers, little illustrations of buildings or landmarks, mini-journal entries about the author's journey and lots of food for thought with bios about each mapmaker and more book recommendations related to NYC. I read it over a long time just examining a couple of maps at a time. My faves include "My Lost Gloves" by Patricia Marx, "Manhattanhenge" by Neil Degrasse Tyson, "Ava is Here," and a "Pede ...more
Stop. Take a moment. Think. Now draw the world around you. Not as it is, but as it is to you.

This is the challenge Becky Cooper presented to hundreds of New Yorkers (and a few tourists, accidentally) with her brilliant art project, marching up Broadway armed with hand-printed maps for them to fill in any way they chose. The concept is amazing, and the maps frequently quite revealing, whether or not they come complete with the artist's name - chocked with kisses and first trysts, places to grab a
Chris Reid

I have a large map of Manhattan that was given to me by my parents quite a long number of years ago now. The map is an early version (mid-19th Century) of the various planning maps that were creates at the time NYC went through the grid planning process, which gave the island its particular character for the next soon to be 200 years. This is a scaled down version of that - and a book that has the stories, hopes, dreams and losses of a number of folks who chose to participate in the author's ide
Achingly beautiful, nostalgic project by a Harvard classmate. If you love maps, wandering, and the stories that stem from them half as much as I do, you will love this book.
Entertaining and thought-provoking read for anyone interested in (as you may have guessed) maps, or Manhattan.
Emma Aylor
These people and creativities and passions are why I love New York. A perfect, earnest book.
Awesome. It inspired me to map some of my life.
Very fun. I enjoyed viewing all the maps and think it was truly a fabulous idea. I believe I can continue to look at them and find something new each time -- even though I need to find my magnifying glass for some of them. Enjoyed it. Makes me want to do it in Austin.
I have been obsessed with this book for a while, but never picked it up. I suggested it to our literary committee, since the theme of our annual Literary Evening was NYC stories. The chair got in touch with Ms. Cooper, and she came to the event. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend! But I finally got the book and I really loved it. Maps as biography, political statement, love letter.... I definitely want to take this idea to our Faculty for a community building activity. What I love is that the ...more
Jan 16, 2014 Anthony rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has a deep love of NYC
Recommended to Anthony by: NYTimes
very well delivered recording of a wide collection of public personal accounts of their encounters with Manhattan (encounters ranging from the minimal to life-defining) -- however, it is just not the original idea a number of reviewers have praising it for (the creation of cognitive maps of cities was an exercise in the first week of my 1989 Intro to Architectural Theory class)
Beautiful little collection of maps of the love many people have for NYC. Amazing that so many people participated and shared their stories. Makes me want to live there even more!
Love, love, loved this. It's definitely a favorite. I can wait to Map my life here :)
I bought this book prior to visiting Manhattan for the first time in 40 years. I thought it would help put me in the right frame of mind before tackling such a huge, complex city. And did it ever!!
I imagine that the future of hardcover printed books will be similar to this. It is not only a delightful project, but the physical design is so beautifully in keeping with its subject - proportioned to match the geography of the island, lovingly illustrated and the maps themselves so beautifully rende
I just wish some of the maps were easier to read. Penmanship, people!
Karen Twinem
What a great idea for a book!
A beautiful book. Cooper asked New Yorkers to write and draw their own memories of their lives in New York onto a map of Manhattan. The results are often moving, sometimes disturbing.

With an eloquent and incisive introduction by Adam Gopnik.
I think I ended up liking the concept of this more than the book. I found some of the maps hard to read, so that's kind of disappointing, but it was fun to read all those antidotes about my city and to read the maps of both strangers and some well known people. Unfortunately, I think I may have just expected more.
Suzan Bond
Since I'm about to move to New York City soon I was keen to pick up this book. A beautiful little book that gives a look into Manhattan through the eyes of different citizens (both famous and not). The writing is quite lyrical and inspiring. I can't wait to map my own memories of NYC.
Creative cartography, psychogeography, or personal mapping-- all apt descriptors of this intriguing collection of hand drawn impressions of Manhattan. Hard to read without being inspired to create your own maps of places that have touched your soul.
Justin Mueller
The maps were almost all too small to read on a Kindle. Somehow I thought this would be fun to read but it's really not too suitable for the casual tourist. Also the actual writing was minimal, with the focus in the hand-drawn maps.
Very fun for NYC folks and anyone who has visited. Gives sweet insights but also reflects my life here, walking, watching, wandering. The submitted maps are clever. I want to check out her website and see the others.
Svetlana Dotsenko
My favorite book. Gorgeously illustrated, unique concept, and filled with achingly beautiful stories of New Yorkers and their stories intertwined with the cities. Couldn't recommend it to you more :)
Norma Cooper
Just loved this's fun and informative and is a window into how people live in this city. And, it's the perfect gift for everyone.
Liked the pictures. But after a bunch, Manhattan is Manhattan is Manhattan. Also, the stories and poems were totally hit or miss.
  • The Measure of Manhattan: The Tumultuous Career and Surprising Legacy of John Randel, Jr., Cartographer, Surveyor, Inventor
  • All the Buildings in New York (That I've Drawn So Far)
  • A Map of the World: The World According to Illustrators and Storytellers
  • Central Park: An Anthology
  • Here Is New York
  • London: A Life in Maps
  • Before They Pass Away
  • The Historical Atlas of New York City: A Visual Celebration of Nearly 400 Years of New York City's History
  • New York Diaries: 1609 to 2009
  • Brooklyn Spaces: 50 Hubs of Culture and Creativity
  • The Importance of Being Iceland: Travel Essays in Art
  • Read Hard: Five Years of Great Writing from the Believer
  • Kamishibai Man
  • The Invention of Brownstone Brooklyn: Gentrification and the Search for Authenticity in Postwar New York

“Even after three hundred maps have been handed out, Ama and I still melt the moment people switch from being suspicious that we want to sell them something--"Hey? What do you want? Money? Directions?--to realising that we just want to know their stories, their memories, what they love--"Oh, in that case, thanks, sweeties!” 3 likes