Start by marking “Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Baked Explorations: Cl...

Matt Lewis

Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  2,155 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito’s 2008 Baked was published to national critical acclaim and raved about across the blogosphere. Since then, their profile has gotten even bigger, with continued praise from Oprah and Martha Stewart; product availability in every Whole Foods across the U.S.; and a new bakery in Charleston, South Carolina, with even more traffic than their ori ...more
Published December 12th 2011 by Stewart, Tabori & Chang (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Baked Explorations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baked Explorations

Aryanna
Jan 05, 2011 Aryanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, I've made the Stump de Noël and the Mississippi Mud Pie. Both of which I absolutely loved. This is not a book for the baking inexperienced though. As I read through it, I know what's going on, but they kind of expect you to know whats what. This isn't the book to walk you through the basics. For me, it was an excellent birthday present, but if you're looking at it you should definitely pick it up and give a glance through before you decide if it's for you.
Mandy
Sep 27, 2010 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
this book will aid me in my quest to weigh 10 thousand pounds. Really though, I'm making the Mississippi Mud pie no. 2 but the cookie recipes make cookies that are too big for me to make for xmas presents.
Lisa
Feb 21, 2017 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would eat everything in this book, and when I say everything I mean everything. Downside? There are not many pictures, and most of recipes involve ALOT of ingredients. But Yummm.
Bundt
Nov 30, 2012 Bundt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Bakery owners Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito's dream was simple: they wanted to create a classic American bakery. Their flagship Baked store opened in Red Hook, Brooklyn in 2005, and the second opened in Charleston in 2009. In their first cookbook Baked: New Frontiers in Baking, Matt and Renato focused on recreating classic American desserts like cobbler, red velvet cake, apple and pecan pies, and diner-style desserts tempered with more modern touches like matcha (green tea powder), chipotle, a ...more
Janie
Feb 22, 2013 Janie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lewis, Matt & Renato Poliafito (text) & Tina Rupp (photogs.). Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented. Stewart, Tabori & Chang. 2010. 208p. photogs. index. ISBN 9781584798507. $29.95. COOKING
Those who liked Lewis and Poliafito's first cookbook, Baked: New Frontiers in Baking, are going to love this one. The owners of Baked, with locations in Brooklyn, NY, and Charleston, SC, have received national media attention and were recently featured on Oprah and Throwdown! wit
Vy
Nov 30, 2010 Vy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by a recipe I saw for Tomato Soup Cupcakes. I tried them, and they were so good that I got the book. It is a fun read, and the recipes seem accessible even for those of us who are not pros in the kitchen. The recipes are interesting takes on "classic" desserts, often ones that are regional. There are so many things that I'd like to make. Nutella scones? Malted waffles? Red velvet whoopie pies? Sweet and salty brownies? Yes, please!

The photographs are charming and have a nostalgi
Peggy
Feb 11, 2014 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I checked this book out of the libary and it did not take long before I realized this was one of those "keeper" cookbooks that I just had to own!

Recipes in this book are categorized into: tarts/pies, cookies, cakes, other pastry, and even breakfast. And I have to say, I have seen many a recipe for doughnuts, but never have I been so inspired to make them until I saw the recipe for them in this book!

The baked treats in this cookbook are familiar but with a twist that is sure to impress. They loo
Jan 14, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I have made so many Baked recipes over the past two and a half months. I love their Chocolate Coffee Cake. I have made it twice for birthday occasions. The first time I made it I became so excited to put it together that I put on all three layers of the cake without any frosting in between them. I was practically in tears. I thought I ruined it. In the end after many hours of repair the cake turned out great. The second time I made it went much smoother. I took my time and paid close attention t ...more
Beth
Feb 28, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-review, reviews

From the library.

This one gets four stars. It was a wonderful collection of unique recipes covering everything from cookies to pies to cakes, and beyond. Granted, some of the recipes are more advanced, but armed with a trusty KitchenAid mixer the majority of the recipes will be more than manageable for the average from scratch baker. The Honey Corn Muffins came out very well and didn't last long enough for me to photograph them for the review! On the other
Brenna
Jun 13, 2014 Brenna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first book better. Not that this isn't good, it's just a bit too fancy for my taste. For example, a lot of crusts made out of cookies in a food processor. Sounds amazing but alas many of us do not own a food processor. Anyway it has great pictures and may be better for others.

My only advice for the next book would be way more chocolate/peanut butter combos. I only found one recipe for it.
Amanda
Mar 10, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This is my favorite of the 3 Baked books, in that it has the most recipes that I have made or want to make. This is a good cookbook, with a nice mix of recipes and beautiful photography. As with all the Baked books, the writing is filled with a high level of food snobbery and the recipe directions could stand to be simplified.
Liz De Coster
Jun 22, 2011 Liz De Coster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbies, food
There were many more recipes in this book that I was interested in trying out than in the first book, Baked: New Frontiers in Baking. I think the focus of this book, on classic American desserts, was clearer, and the book was more focused on recipes than techniques.
Sep 29, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My teen-aged son jokingly calls this the "pretentious cookbook" because some of the ingredients are only available at a specialty grocery, and the recipes are so labor-intensive. However, we keep coming back to it, because every recipe we have tried has been unquestionably delicious! A fun book to look at and read, as well.
Beka
Oct 16, 2010 Beka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Though their reinventions aren't quite as exciting, I still enjoyed looking through this cookbook. I found a couple exciting recipes for myself, and I probably would eat anything made from this book.
Marleene
Jul 22, 2012 Marleene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The photography was superb.
The recipes were not bad - but not really outstanding. The food writing was a bit too self- consciously blasé. A food author should ALWAYS be excited to share his creations with his readers.
Heydi Smith
Jul 19, 2014 Heydi Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really appreciated this book. It seems to make a good amount so I'd have to make it for a gathering but the recipes were interesting and varied and I liked the back stories behind them.

I wish every dish had a picture.
Gretchen
Dec 30, 2010 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite bakery! If you have to choose between the two Baked cookbooks, get the first one, it has more of their bakery recipes than this one.
Megan
Dec 23, 2013 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great. I found the apricot rosemary squares and oatmeal chocolate chip cake with cream cheese frosting to be of particular interest, and have bookmarked them to be later tried.
Linda
Nov 14, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, baking
Just got this for Christmas -- it was on my wish list! Love the design (beautiful book) and recipe choices. Can't wait to try them out and some day I need to visit their bakery in Brooklyn.
Renée
Oct 14, 2012 Renée rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
oh my, I want to make every recipe in this book... definitely one I'd like to add to my home library...
April
May 09, 2014 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These guys are my new favorites for sweet recipes. I've made their brownies, root beer bundt cake, & turtle bars & all are excellent. Can't wait to try more!
Crystal
Nov 28, 2010 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another beautiful baking book from Baked. These recipes aren't quite as accessible as the ones in the first book, but they're still interesting.
Dori
Dec 06, 2010 Dori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely some delicious recipes in here with some twists on American classics, but overall the recipes and layout felt a bit too formal for me.
Wendy
Dec 20, 2010 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Really liked the Grasshopper Bar recipe, but it was an all day endeavor and a bit fussy for everyday. Might still try the Nutella scones :)
Dec 06, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what is better the recipes, the tips, or the pictures. I give this the spatula approval.
Jess
Sep 10, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
yay! I got this for xmas 2010 and if the recipes are as lovely as the pictures, it's going to be good times around my house
Jamie
Jul 21, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I have never actually read an entire recipe book, but I read this whole thing. Now, if only I could afford the ingredients.
Yasmine Alfouzan
Oct 26, 2015 Yasmine Alfouzan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Second book from the American Bakery, "Baked". All the recipes are easy to make and can be quite delicious.
Elizabeth
Dec 29, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I love these cookbooks! I use them frequently and adore the recipes! I also like the friendly chatty style if the writing.
Herrera, Audrey
This was not very fun to read, because it is a cook book, but I did learn how to make many things. It is also very orginized and neat.
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies by Alice Medrich
  • Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • The Craft of Baking: Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets with Ideas for Inventing Your Own
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites
  • Baking
  • The Art & Soul of Baking
  • The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies
  • Rose's Heavenly Cakes
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours