Start by marking “Shadow Moon (Chronicles of the Shadow War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Moon (Chronicles of the Shadow War, #1)

Shadow Moon (Chronicles of the Shadow War #1)

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,571 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
From two of the greatest imaginations of our time comes a magnificent novel of adventure and magic...SHADOW MOON: First in the Chronicles of the Shadow
War

The genius of Star Wars(r) creator George Lucas and the vision of Chris Claremont, the author of the phenomenally bestselling The Uncanny
X-Men
adventures, merge in what must be the fantasy event of the year.

In Shadow Moo
Mass Market Paperback, 452 pages
Published July 1st 1996 by Bantam Spectra (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Moon

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
The Best Epic Fantasy
398th out of 2,599 books — 18,996 voters
The Thousand Names by Django WexlerThe Red Knight by Miles CameronMalice by John GwynneWorm by WildbowHouse of Blades by Will Wight
r/fantasy's Official Underrated and Underread Fantasy
91st out of 477 books — 573 voters

More lists with this book...

Dave
May 10, 2009 Dave rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
This is pretty much the worst book I've ever had the misfortune to read.

Having really enjoyed the movie Willow, on which these books are supposedly but secretly but not really at all based (they apparently weren't allowed to actually use the name Willow in the book, which, as it turns out, is ok with me because they didn't deserve to), I sought out the three books in this series over the course of several months. I wanted to have them all so I could read them straight through without interruptio
Dan Schwent
Aug 06, 2009 Dan Schwent rated it did not like it
ivana
Jan 18, 2011 ivana rated it did not like it
Shelves: boring
READ THIS BOOK IF:
- You like jumping from one place to another in the space of 0.001 second, at the whim of your author, with no reason or grounding at all
- You don't like books where something INTERESTING happens
- You like being confused by characters that are referred to by about three different names
- You don't have to buy it
- You know where your receipt is, if you have bought it
- You strongly believe that movies need to be better than the books they are based upon.

George Lucas should stop w
Chris Dietzel
Apr 21, 2015 Chris Dietzel rated it it was ok
This book has been on my bookshelf, unread, for almost 20 years. Every time I went to a used book store I saw a couple copies, and yet I still never got around to reading it. Until now. I was disappointed in the story and how little I cared about any of the characters. The books successfully pulled me in by promoting itself as a combination of Claremont and Lucas, but I didn't find any of the imagination or craft I remembered from 'Uncanny X-men' or the original Star Wars trilogy. Or for that ma ...more
Ryan Adkins
Sep 10, 2013 Ryan Adkins rated it it was amazing
This trilogy is amazing. It continues to rank as one of my favorite series in modern fantasy. I don't understand any of the bad reviews I've seen. Specifically, let me clarify the following:

1. This is loosely tied to the movie Willow, which was amazing. However, it is not a simple continuation of that particular story; rather, it's a complex narrative (set in another part of the world) that examines Elora's growth into womanhood. Shadow Moon focuses mainly on Willow and his reunion with Elora, s
Chelsea
Dec 25, 2010 Chelsea rated it did not like it
Someone needs to tell George Lucas that it's okay to create a story without having to make it a sequel.

As a sequel, it sucks. Willow bears no resemblance to himself from the movie to the book. In fact, the two Willows are so different that they don't even have the same name. I felt that Mad Martigan and Sorsha were characterized so tersely that they too did not resemble themselves. Forgive the DnD reference, but at what point did Willow go from mild mannered farmer to multi-classed fighter/barb
Chris
Aug 29, 2008 Chris rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Dull and plodding. Not what I expected from a continuation of the WILLOW soryline--and this from Chris Claremont, the best of the writers from the X-Men's best period, and George Lucas who...ok, I guess I HAVE seen the Prequel Trilogy. Maybe this was his warm-up for the bad writing in that?
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 28, 2011 Mike (the Paladin) rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I tried to read this, I really did...but it was just....well I put it down. I read the synopsis, I liked Willow and like the idea of a continuation. I really, really wanted to like it. But I just could not get interested in the book.

Sorry.
Kevis Hendrickson
May 08, 2009 Kevis Hendrickson rated it did not like it
This is one of the all-time worst books ever written. I can hardly believe that George Lucas has fallen so far from grace since his younger days and conspired to produce this travesty of literature. I just can't think of a book I hate worse than Shadow Moon. The worst part of it all, is that I tried (really, really hard) to finish reading this book. Mercifully, there is not enough money in the world to ever make me put myself through such torture again.

For the record, I love the movie Willow whi
Eden
Mar 07, 2011 Eden rated it really liked it
To start off, this book/series is not for everyone.

I love the movie Willow and I still watch it on a regular basis. When my husband told me that there were novels that were sequels to the movie, I got really excited, then forgot about it. This past holiday season, I randomly started thinking about them, and told my husband that I wanted the series for Christmas.

I started reading Shadow Moon the next day and couldn't put it down. The prologue is depressing and the first little bit is a little con
Matthew
Apr 07, 2008 Matthew rated it did not like it
Ugh! What more can I say. The authors' names were the most exciting part of this book. That and learning that it is a sequel to "Willow", a fun, family-friendly movie I enjoyed a lot when I was younger. The Willow character makes a transformation almost as soon as he steps on the stage, and the other favorite characters from the movie are quickly dispensed with. Instead you're left with characters you couldn't care less about, plots that are too confusing to follow, and events that will disgust ...more
Nick
Dec 07, 2009 Nick rated it did not like it
I wanted very badly to enjoy this book. It wasn't that it was poorly written, but, somehow, I think it very safe to say it definitely was not well written. If you like the story of the film Willow, do not read this book. It may take away some of the magic of the movie. I stopped roughly halfway through when ideas such as steam engines and demons with feelings and children came into play. No, thanks. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, attempting to string along your readers on something that h ...more
Brianna
Mar 12, 2011 Brianna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I remember loving the movie Willow, so I gave this book another read. I liked the demon voice. I liked Willow's eagle and brownie companions. Other than that, I can't say I enjoyed a whole lot about it. Nor did I understand a whole lot about it. The writing style made my eyes swim quite a bit, but even if I could have stayed focused, I don't think the plot details would've been much clearer.

I probably should just track down a copy of the movie instead of picking up this book again.
NightAuditMan
Sep 11, 2008 NightAuditMan rated it really liked it
This is quite possibly the most descriptivly written fantasy ever. I had to read several chapters over again just to make certain that I had cuaght everything. A damn good fantasy.
Jenna
Jun 12, 2008 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, to-own
No matter how many times I read this book I always enjoy it. I get totally engrossed by the story and characters and never want the book to end. Amazingly well crafted.
Pamela
Mar 20, 2015 Pamela rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Absolutely terrible. I read this when it first came out because I was insanely excited to have more material for Willow. It's still one of my favorite movies. But I wish I had never even heard of this book.

It really has nothing to do with Willow. (view spoiler), and Willow immediately changes into Thorn Drumheller, a character that doesn't resemble Willow Ufgood in the slightest. Chris Claremont's writing is ponder
Scurra
Jan 19, 2010 Scurra rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
For those of us who understand that George Lucas really can do "story" better than most, but does need someone else to bring it to life effectively (see The Empire Strikes Back for proof), this is the example par excellence.

This is one of my favourite fantasy series, because it does genuinely new things with a tired old structure, and it all works. The world-building given to us in this first volume is a masterclass of show not tell - the relationships of the Twelve Realms that underpins the who
Kaitlin
Apr 16, 2013 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
*Accurate Rating: 4.5 stars

I grew up watching the movie Willow, and I still love it as much as I did when I was a kid. I never knew this series, which is a continuation of the story, existed until I randomly came across all three books at a thrift store. If you love the movie, the story, and the characters as much as I always have, then you really need to read these books.

This is not your average fantasy adventure, and once you accept that and stop expecting it to start conforming to normal rule
Robby Morris
Jul 28, 2010 Robby Morris rated it really liked it
Ben
May 10, 2007 Ben rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Willow
Seeing Willow in the theaters when I was ten was another landmark event for me. This was a movie that proved to me that imaginative, creative films could be made that really made you feel like the magic was actually taking place on screen. On top of that, the story was actually pretty decent (although Lucas had already had a shot at very similar stories in the Ewok Adventure movies, so he'd had plenty of practice perfecting the formula).
Reading Wayland Drew's novelization later that summer only
Jane
May 22, 2008 Jane rated it it was amazing
First I must state for the record: I'm a huge fan of books that retell or continue on with stories that we all love.

I found this book by accident and almost immediately fell in love with the series.

The tragic loss of the characters we all loved from the movie was a shock to get over at first. However, once I got past their (very) short story in the beginning I was hooked. The new characters invented for the series fit perfectly into the world that was created by Lucas and Howard in the film.

So
Kara Thomas
Aug 11, 2013 Kara Thomas rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book, being based off the movie "Willow" and all, but the first half was so WORDY. I almost gave up on it, but I kept going. Towards the half way point it got really interesting and good. I had a hard time putting it down. Finally. This book reminded me why I usually only read YA science fiction. There was a lot of violence, darkness, and trouble, but I am going to save my finally judgment of this book for when I am finished with the trilogy.
Lacey
Dec 17, 2009 Lacey rated it liked it
I read the Chronicles of the Shadow War many years ago and I own a copy of the prelude Willow. I remember this series as a long but fulfilling story filled with great darkness and a very human hero who grasps onto her destiny like a life preserver. Although I have an incredible fondness for these books I was never able to read them twice. I don't know why. So if you commit yourself to read them, take it slow and enjoy the journey!
Matthew Collins
Sep 14, 2011 Matthew Collins rated it really liked it
Great book if you loved the movie Willow and like fantasy type stuff (Lord of the Rings type fantasy, but without the wordy explanations). It has it's cheesy "fantasy geek" moments that make you want to cringe but the overall story is good and the characters are good. I particularly like the way Magic is explained. I was very impressed (I went in thinking it was going to be mediocre, and found that it was pretty good)
Kelly
Jan 06, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Not sure how many times I've read this series before but it all came back to me as I started this book. It has all the elements of the best fantasy trilogies; powerful magic, unknown evils, beautiful princesses and their handsome knights, lots of adventure and action. I particularly love the brownies, Rool and Franjean, in both their passion and comic-relief.
Beth
Jul 13, 2009 Beth rated it liked it
This trilogy is a continuation of the story begun in the movie "Willow". It starts off about a year after the movie's events end and follows the same characters. Since there's a proper writer (not just George Lucas) working on these, it's actually a pretty good read that gets better in the second and third books.
Shellie
I was so excited to read about what happened to Alora Dannon (sp?) from "Willow" (a favorite movie) as an adult. But I can't read fantasy and enjoy it like others. So you might like this. I just don't have the kind of imagery it takes to read. I made it only 33 pages in before turning it back to the library.
Jeffrey Arrowood
Oct 04, 2010 Jeffrey Arrowood rated it really liked it
While not really true to the movie Willow, this is a good fantasy that offers some interesting things to think about. While the character of "Thorn Drumheller" is a little brooding, in the end he is likable enough to drive the story forward. I think I'll enjoy the rest of the books in this series.
[Name Redacted]
Nov 27, 2007 [Name Redacted] rated it it was amazing
A promising start to a trilogy of novels set after the events of the film "Willow", this book has a decidedly darker feel than the movie. It was inventive, well-paced and beautifully written. Sadly, subsequent novels were so cliched and haphazard that i gave up on the series...
Jenny
Dec 11, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
I had to add these to my read book list. I'd nearly forgotten about them, which I'm sure makes it seem as though they weren't memorable but that's not true, they were. I will say the ending of the series was a bit weak but that's just a personal opinion thing.
  • Willow
  • Road to Underfall (Loremasters of Elundium, #1)
  • Turning the Storm (Eliana's Song, #2)
  • The Dragon King (Crimson Shadow, #3)
  • The Eye of the Hunter (Mithgar, #14)
  • Changewar
  • Starship Troopers / The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress / Time Enough For Love
  • The Sword and the Satchel (World of the Alfar, #1)
  • Starman
  • The Unicorn (Legend of the Five Rings: Clan War 2)
  • The War Of Powers
  • Dark Heart (Dragon's Disciple, #1)
  • The Sunset Warrior (The Sunset Warrior Cycle, #1)
  • High Queen
  • The Iron Tree (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #1)
  • Wolfwalker (Wolfwalker, #1)
  • That Way Lies Camelot
  • Indiana Jones and the White Witch (Indiana Jones: Prequels #8)
Chris Claremont is a writer of American comic books, best known for his 16-year (1975-1991) stint on Uncanny X-Men, during which the series became one of the comic book industry's most successful properties.

Claremont has written many stories for other publishers including the Star Trek Debt of Honor graphic novel, his creator-owned Sovereign Seven for DC Comics and Aliens vs Predator for Dark Hors
More about Chris Claremont...

Chronicles of the Shadow War (3 books)
  • Shadow Dawn (Chronicles of the Shadow War, #2)
  • Shadow Star (Chronicles of the Shadow War, #3)