Start by marking “The Katerina Trilogy, Vol. II: The Unfailing Light” as Want to Read:
The Katerina Trilogy, Vol. II: The Unfailing Light

The Katerina Trilogy, Vol. II: The Unfailing Light (Katerina #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  993 ratings  ·  120 reviews
Lush and opulent, romantic and sinister, The Unfailing Light, Volume II in The Katerina Trilogy, reimagines the lives of Russia's aristocracy in a fabulously intoxicating and page-turning fantasy.

Published July 9th 2013 by Ember (first published October 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Katerina Trilogy, Vol. II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Katerina Trilogy, Vol. II

Sarah Terese *Kili!*
Why do I keep reading these? Why oh why? Is it because, perhaps, I am hoping for some sort of clarity from the first book? I don't know. Whatever I was looking for, unless it was pain and mind torture, I didn't find it.

Clarifications (ie, full review) to come...

EDIT: It's been two years.

I might write this review soon....

EDIT 6.3.15: DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND: I have checked this book out of the library. AGAIN. So I can read it. AGAIN. And write a review. FOR THE FIRST TIME.

Mar 25, 2012 Asim marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
it is a nice cover.

as for the comments:

in the first book it already say's shes has blond hair * “Perhaps you would permit us to take him a lock of your hair, to show him what a beautiful golden color it is?”
“My hair?” I laughed nervously.*(also the hair color on the previous cover was pretty similar in terms of brightness)
definitely a corset, (Wikipedia - pic of a corset)

Katie(wrote a response to jennie) nailed it on the head(that corsets ca
I am as much in love with Katerina's story as when I finished book one. Katya is still as independent and inquisitive as ever--and still far from safe. After discovering that Russia's greatest nemesis is still alive in the grey, Katya is confined to the old finishing school she thought she had finally left behind. With her necromancer powers blooming, Katiya has also become a threat to the stability of the empress's home, as the empress wants to keep George in the Light Court, and his love for K ...more
Gretchen Hohmeyer
When I finished my review of the first book of this series, I mentioned that despite my problems with the first book I wanted the second one because I had hopes Bridges would settle into the story and much more of it would make sense.

My prayers were answered.

I was deeply worried I wasn’t going to be able to remember much from the first book and that I had done this review a deep disservice by forgetting to bring book 1 to college with me. I was genuinely surprised to find that the first part of
Adrienne Amborski
Set in Russia’s Imperial Court of St. Petersburg in 1889, The Unfailing Light is the second installment in the Katerina Trilogy. Katerina, a seventeen year old duchess desires to break free from the conventions of her class and gender to become a doctor. However, Katerina harbors a secret talent, she is a necromancer and her ability to raise the dead is in high demand with the Light and Dark Faerie forces that rule over the tsar’s court. In the first book, The Gathering Storm , a premarital bloo ...more
GoodReads Synopsis: Having had no choice but to use her power has a necromancer to save Russia from dark forces, Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, now wants to forget that she ever used her special powers. She's about to set off to pursue her lifelong dream of attending medical school when she discovers that Russia's arch nemesis--who she thought she'd destroyed--is still alive. So on imperial orders, Katerina remains at her old finishing school. She'll be safe there, because the empr ...more
Don't get me wrong, this was definitely a unique book that had a great storyline, I just couldn't seem to get into it. Maybe it's because I didn't read the first book in this series, but I found myself not being able to connect with Katerina and her story.

Katerina is a necromancer living in Russia in 1889. Katerina is so excited to finally be able to go to school to become a female doctor, but in order protect herself from the dark forces, she must stay at her finishing school where she'll be s
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)

Russian history has, for whatever reason (ngl, probably because of the movie Anastasia), always been among my favorites to read about, in both fiction and nonfiction. As such, Robin Bridges' debut The Gathering Storm sprinted to the top of my to-read pile a little over a year ago. I liked it, but not unreservedly. The Unfailing Light is one of those rare cases where I feel precisely the same about the sequel as I did the first book. If you liked The Gathering Storm, good news; you will
Cover Gushing Worthiness:I think Trish Parcell has done a wonderful job with the cover design and Michael Frost’s jacket photography is beautiful. I like the wisps of smoke appearing behind Katerina. The Midnight Blue is also beautiful, although I do think Katerina’s dress steals the show. The pale Pink and high waist of the dress suits Katerina and the embroidery work done on the dress is gorgeous.

Review: As you know The Gathering Stormwas one of my favourite reads of the year and I’ve been loo
Ange (MarmaladeLibby of Libby Blog) Schmelzer
Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, is a necromancer. A very powerful necromancer who is the Zsar's connection to becoming an all-powerful creature who can protect Russia from evil. Except, this year Katiya is off to fulfill her lifelong dream of becoming a doctor by attending medical school. Perfect, right? Not quite. When it's discovered that Russia's greatest evil wasn't destroyed and is in fact trying everything he can to come back with all of his might, the Zsar forbids Katiya from ...more
Kris at Book Wishes
There were so many interesting concepts of this story
Blood sucking moths that are vampires (new twist on vampires that I could safely sink my teeth into, unless I was a room mate to one then they would be sinking their teeth into me)
A HUGE struggle between light and dark faerie courts. (this was interesting because you start to question both sides, pick your side in the beginning of the book)
Loved the rich Historic places that Author Robin Bridges took me to, a book is an escape. Reading The Unf
4.5 As one of my most highly anticipated books of 2012, I was delighted to step back in time to 1889 and visit the Russian Imperial Court in St. Petersburg. As the second installment in the Katerina trilogy, The Unfailing Light takes us back into the life of seventeen year old Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg. Once again I was swept up by the courts of dark and light. The tale captivated me and I only came up for air when I reached the end.

Katerina is enjoying holiday and looking forw
This review originally posted on Girls * Heart* Books on September 29, 2012
The Unfailing Light is the second book in The Katerina Trilogy. The first book, The Gathering Storm, was already on my To-Read list, so I was super excited to have an excuse to get to it. The idea intrigued me from the first time I read the summary, and the covers are beautiful-- It would've been one of those books I just bought due to the prettiness and unique backdrop if my bookstores ever had it. *cough*

While I had an
The Unfailing Light was everything I hoped for and more! Katerina remains one of my favorite heroines. She's smart, but way ahead of her time. Her goal is to become a doctor, although Russian medical schools do not admit women. Her plans to study abroad are foiled due to the threat of an old enemy, and she must return to her finishing school for an extra year to remain under the protection of the emperess' spell.

Although I enjoyed this book immensely, I was sad to see there wasn't much developm
Felita Hardigaloeh
Katerina aka Katya bisa sedikit bernafas lega. setelah insiden yg melibatkan tsar dan keluarganya di The Gathering Storm (Katerina, #1) by Robin Bridges, Katya senang dg liburan mendatang. pasalnya, dia akan belajar kedokteran di Zurich. kesempatan yg ga boleh dilewatkan.

tapi Katya jg cemas dg George yg akan melewatkan waktunya di Paris utk belajar demi Order Tsar. Gara2nya George berjanji akan mencari cara utk meresmikan hubungan mereka di depan keluarga tsar. Katya ga mau. Dia bagian dark magic, dan ga mau kekuatan magis George nantinya jd te
Diane Ferbrache
At the end of The Gathering Storm, Katerina helped save the royal family from the dark forces of evil. She is falling in love with George, the Tsar's son, but there's a problem. The Tsar would never let his son marry a necromancer, and Katerina really wants to go to medical school and become a doctor -- another no, no. Not to mention that Danilo, the vampire heir to the Montenegran throne wants to marry her too.

The second book in the Katerina trilogy, this one does what most 2nd books do -- con
Every aspect of this book pulls you in.
I mean, let's list:
Vampires (kinda)
The cover
The intrigue
Dark magic
The HOT prince (sorry, I'm addicted to these YA hotties. ;) )
The Plot
Stubborn Protagonist (LOL)
The setting (I don't know why), I've never read a book set in Russia.
... This could go on forever.

The Unfailing Light is true to it's preceding book in this series. It is just as captivating, intriguing, suspenseful, and HOT as the first. It does not disappoint.

Jennifer Wolf
Beautiful, romantic and fascinating. I adored reading the second book in this trilogy. It was alternately creepy, sweet, suspenseful, and romantic. I am absolutely amazed at how Bridges can weave so many paranoraml elements into a world that feels historically accurate (with the addition of ghosts, vampires and zombies). I can't wait to read number three!
First, I have to say that I loved the cover art for Book #2, the sequel to [bookcover:The Gathering Storm|11164732}. Our book begins with Katyia finally getting her wish as her parents have finally agreed to send her to Zurich for medical school. However, upon encountering a mysterious man on vacation it isn't too long before the tsar forbids his necromancer to leave Russia. Katyia finds herself back at the Smolony Institute with her classmates and tries to keep from raising the dead. Danilo and ...more
Brittany (Nice Girls Read Books)

The Unfailing Light brings readers back into the world of Katerina and her struggles against the Light and Dark Courts of Imperial Russia. A great historical read, I found that Robin Bridges had a better handle on her series and lore this time around. With all the elements you could hope for in a historical supernatural/fantasy read, 'The Katerina Trilogy' is one I highly recommend.

In stark contrast to The Gathering Storm, this book takes place (for the most part) in the summer. We are able t
Mar 21, 2012 Sydney marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-series
I would say her waist bothers me a little but everyone needs to remember that in the late 1800s that was normal and desired of girls
Allison Z.
The plot is kind of all over the place but I like the characters and the mythology.
And Georgi. He's the best.
Becky Keir Grace
The second part in the Katerina trilogy, and I have to say I liked this one, but not as much as the first one. Katiya was unable leave the country and attend medical school as she wished, she she returned to school. This year there is trouble with a ghost that is causes trouble for the people at finishing school. The book continues with the struggles of Katiya being a necromancer, but I was not drawn in as much as the first book.

We learn more about Princess Alix in this story, which I enjoyed.
An enticing sequel to a fabulous and exciting series that instantly became one of my favourites. Robin Bridges does not disappoint. Once again she has crafted a mesmerizing, imaginative and entirely unique story that - and I kid you not - is even better that the explosive mix she enthralled us with in the first volume.

The Unfailing Light picks up more or less where the The Gathering Storm left off. After the battle with the lich tsar Konstantin, Katiya enjoyed a few weeks of peace. All she rea
When Katerina Alexandrovna discovers that the Tsar himself has decided she must postpone going to medical school in Austria and instead return to Smolny Institute, a finishing school in St. Petersburg and the site of the first book in this series, I was just as disappointed as she was. It felt like a step backward to both of us. Being a necromancer with the ability to raise the dead gives Katerina dark powers she wishes she didn’t have, but she was able to use her powers to save the life of the ...more
Katiya thought she'd be heading off for medical school, but the tsar has other plans. She is too remain at finishing school for another year. This is apparently in her best interest, but mostly the tsar wants to keep her and her powers close. The empress places a protection spell around the school so that nothing supernatural can get in or out. That means Katiya is basically a prisoner. The problem is, something wicked was awakened when the empress placed the spell. A malevolent ghost is on the ...more
This whole review will toss spoilers in indiscriminately and I probably won't warn you. Except for this. This is your warning.

In some ways I liked this better than The Gathering Storm because Katiya knew, mostly, what was going on and also because she and George were open about their affection for one another. So even without as many balls there was considerably more romance. And I always enjoy the way he can read her mind and Robin Bridges works that in so fluidly.

But I knew about Alix since t
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 25, 2015 06:48AM
  • The Twisted Tragedy of Miss Natalie Stewart (Magic Most Foul, #2)
  • Dearly, Beloved (Gone With the Respiration, #2)
  • Dust Girl (The American Fairy, #1)
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)
  • Blood of the Sorcerer  (The Kingdom Chronicles #2)
  • The Torn Wing (The Faerie Ring, #2)
  • The Wicked Within (Gods & Monsters, #3)
  • Belladonna (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #2)
  • The Last Knight (Pendragon, #1)
  • The Eternal Sea (Everlasting, #2)
  • Frost (Stork, #2)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Ladies in Waiting
  • The Rogue's Princess (The Lacey Chronicles, #3)
  • The Mephisto Kiss (The Mephisto Covenant #2)
  • Tempest Unleashed (Tempest, #2)
  • Debutantes
  • Cross My Heart (Cross My Heart, #1)
By day, Robin is a mild-mannered writer of fantasy and paranormal fiction for young adults. By night, she is a pediatric nurse. Robin lives on the Gulf Coast with her husband, one teenager, and two slobbery mastiffs. THE GATHERING STORM is her first novel.
More about Robin Bridges...

Katerina (3 books)
  • The Gathering Storm (Katerina, #1)
  • The Morning Star (Katerina, #3)
The Gathering Storm (Katerina, #1) The Morning Star (Katerina, #3) Dreaming of Antigone Lilith Unbound