Raven Flight (Shadowfell, #2)

Raven Flight (Shadowfell #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,621 ratings  ·  280 reviews
After completing the long, weary journey to the rebel hiding ground at Shadowfell, Neryn is now a vital part of their plan to overthrow the tyrannical King Keldec. Every step she takes toward perfecting her skills as a powerful, once-in-a-generation Caller gets them closer to their goal. But first she must seek out the disparate leaders of the Good Folk to complete her tra...more
Published July 9th 2013 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 2013)

Carla *Jen7waters*
*waiting, waiting, having lots of anxiety attacks in the meantime*
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

EDIT: guys, July 9th!!!

EDIT 2: actual review to come
Khanh (Destroyer of Dreams)
"Let there be a time in the future, I prayed, when he laughs with his children, and plays on the shore with them, and spends all his nights in loving arms. Let us have that. To whom I was praying I did not know. The future was in our own hands. If we wanted a world where such things were possible, it was for us to make it."
I have read a number of sequels this year that have let me down. Second book syndrome, third book syndrome, you name it. Generally, if I like the first book in the series, th...more
Renu
Raven Flight follows Neryn and Tali as they venture across Alban to seek out the elusive Guardians that are essential in Neryn's training as a Caller. The unlikely duo are opposites, but both are admirable in their own right. Neryn has a sort of quiet strength about her, she never complains or whines when things get tough. Tali on the other hand is tough and outspoken. They are the epitome of strong female characters, and the blossoming friendship between the pair is beautiful.

However, having sa...more
Leonor (Ner)
Dec 21, 2012 Leonor (Ner) marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
EDIT (21/12/2012):
OH MY GOD.... IT HAS A COVER!!!!

PS: The world cannot end today 'cause I still need this book!
Kate Forsyth
Juliet Marillier is one of my all-time favourite authors and a new book from her is always reason to celebrate. So when Raven Flight appeared in my mailbox, I gave a little jump of joy and read it straightaway. Raven Flight is Book 2 in the Shadowfell series. I loved Shadowfell and it made my List of Best Books 2012 - the books are classic old-fashioned high fantasy with a quest at its heart. The writing is beautiful and limpid, the setting is an otherworldy Scotland, and the story mixes danger,...more
Tania
3.5 stars. I love Juliet Marillier, and have read all her books. I appreciate how she writes fantasy, but includes real issues and real emotions. I also like the fact that she always creates strong female characters, unlike many other fantasy books. Although I really enjoyed this book, I thought it was not as strong as the first in the series. I can't wait for the final installment coming early 2014.
Patrícia
Opinião do blogue Chaise Longue: http://girlinchaiselongue.blogspot.pt...

Muito já foi dito sobre Juliet Marillier. Ela é a autora mais amada da Fantasia e os seus livros apaixonam todos aqueles que têm a honra, o prazer de os ler. Um séquito imenso de fãs segue-a desde a publicação de A Filha da Floresta, e todos os seus livros, sem excepção, provocam sentimentos nos seus leitores, sejam bons ou maus, mais intensos ou menos. Se as coisas têm andado mais agrestes com a publicação dos últimos três...more
Heidi
There is a long winter to be spent at Shadowfell for Neryn to figure out who she will be to the people there and their rebellion. A long winter to become something more than the waif of a girl she arrived as and bring the Good Folk to Regan’s cause. A long winter followed by a very short few seasons in which Neryn must travel to the far reaches of her land to gain the training necessary to succeed as a Caller.

If I was disappointed in the first installment of Shadowfell, I can no longer say it wa...more
Liviania

Juliet Marillier's fantasy novels have long had a crossover audience. Unlike some adult authors, she seemed like a perfect fit to write YA. SHADOWFELL, the first novel, was mostly well received and beautifully written. Common complaints were that it was a bit slow, not much happened, and somewhat generic.

Much the same could be said about the recently released RAVEN FLIGHT. Marillier's writing is wonderful. She lays out the setting and the action beautifully. But while I would defend SHADOWFELL f...more
Angela
Be warned, spoilers for Shadowfell abound below.

Map of Alban from Juliet Marillier's website

Last year I read my very first Juliet Marillier book, Shadowfell. It was one of my favorite books of the year and single-handedly saved the YA genre for me. Immersive, smart, peopled with characters I cared about – it drew me in and kept me wanting more. I was more than a little nervous when I picked up Raven Flight; sequels have let me down more often than they’ve impressed me.

I ended up loving it even...more
Steph Su
RAVEN FLIGHT was not as engaging for me as Shadowfell—but the thing is, they’re not all that different from one another. Neryn is still this can-do-no-wrong protagonist who, if not liked instantly by all she meets, at least can quickly win them over with her earnest naivete. The plot is straightforward quest involving long distances traveled and new characters met.

In RAVEN FLIGHT, we learn more about what exactly makes Keldec so evil. And boy is the man frightening! In one of the most riveting s...more
Joanne
Raven Flight
By Juliet Marillier

Summery courtesy of goodreads.com
Neryn has finally found the rebel group at Shadowfell, and now her task is to seek out the elusive Guardians, vital to her training as a Caller. These four powerful beings have been increasingly at odds with human kind, and Neryn must prove her worth to them. She desperately needs their help to use her gift without compromising herself or the cause of overthrowing the evil King Keldec.

Neryn must journey with the tough and steadfast...more
Alli
Wow, I don't think I've read a sequel that has been this strong since Catching Fire and Insurgence! The editing in this book was manifique and kept the plot moving, where in less experienced hands it might have dragged. I enjoy spunky fighter Tali as a rising character and it was great to see the creative variety of Good Folk, something which has always been so fun for me in this series. It was interesting to learn about the two Guardians Neryn visits, each with their own lives and problems. Ahh...more
Iceanna
I loved this book. Must read.
A Canadian Girl
In Raven Flight by Juliet Marillier, Neryn has recovered her strength after the events of the previous book, Shadowfell, and plans on seeking the Guardians’ help in spring. But with the conditions of a potential ally’s aid being time bound, she’s forced to speed up her learning of what it means to be a Caller, and so decides to start her journey by going west to find the Hag of the Isles instead of north to seek the Lord of the North.

Accompanying Neryn on her journey is Talia, a girl who serves...more
Angelya (Tea in the Treetops)
Neryn has made it to the rebel stronghold of Shadowfell, and now must prepare for the next part of her quest to further her skills as a Caller. She must seek out the three other Guardians of the Good Folk, to receive training. The only problem is, she’s not really sure where they are. Will the Good Folk be willing to help her out?

In Shadowfell, Neryn journeyed across the countryside with the enigmatic Flint, trying to avoid capture from the forces of the evil King Keldec. There is more perilous...more
Annette
Raven Flight brought me right back into the Shadowfell world and wrapped me up tightly.

Neryn has spent the winter in Shadowfell, first recovering from her journey and her illness, then training to become strong. She knows the fate of Alban depends on her. She knows she must visit all of the Guardians of Alban, but what she doesn’t realize is that her deadline is getting very tight.

So, she ends up having to leave on her journey, with Tali as her protector. They encounter many obstacles, of course...more
Priscila Patatas
I'm a little disappointed with this book. Juliet, you are an amazing and outstanding writer and my favourite one ever, but I didn't see any of your usual greatness in this book. This wasn't really a book, it was a sequel, a continuation, an obligatory read to link the first book to the future third. It wasn't a masterpiece, it wasn't the work of art that every single one of Juliet's books are.
First, the love story was bland. There was not the complete devotion of Sorcha and Red's love, there was...more
Elphaba J
Recordo bem que para mim, que nunca tinha tido o prazer de ler Juliet Marillier, Shadowfell foi como o abrir de uma janela para um novo mundo, um mundo onde reinava a beleza da simplicidade, onde a bondade se encontrava a florescer timidamente mas com raízes fortes entre o mal e onde a partilha era exposta como lição primordial, numa terra consumida, mirrada pelo egoísmo do seu rei. Agora, finda a leitura de O Voo do Corvo e após ter tido a oportunidade de conversar com a autora, a sua história...more
Julia
While my initial impression of the Shadowfell series was anticipation, the advent of a rousing adventure in a new and interesting fantasy world, my excitement has dwindled and fizzled under the slow plodding of RAVEN FLIGHT.
With Neryn living on the road, the book itself feels like a long, tunneled journey. The field of vision is confined to the road ahead and the potential for violence behind every bush. While I normally don't like too much politics in my fantasy, this series could use a more nu...more
As with the first book in this trilogy, the focus is more on character development than plot. The pace of the plot is slow, and there's no real sense of urgency until the very end of the book. Still, I enjoy a good friendship story, and this book focuses on the slowly developing friendship of Neryn, and her bodyguard, Tali. Yes, it's also about Neryn visiting two out of the four Guardians in order to learn how to effectively use her Calling ability, but that seemed like window dressing to the re...more
Diana
There is one thing I hate about starting series that haven't been completely published yet, because now I'll have a terrible book hangover and no third book to read (after a painful cliffhanger), I'll have to wait then...

Don't get me wrong, the book is amazing, and JM has this incredible gift in her writing: you get sucked in, you love her characters, you cheer for them and cry with them and you can't help but want to be there beside them helping in which ever way you can.

This is a book for the...more
Sonja Arlow
I am such a Juliette Marillier junkie. I read the first instalment Shadowfell not even 2 weeks ago and could not wait to continue this story.

This time round Neryn needs to find the Guardians of the West and North (both whom I found fascinating). There are quite a few new characters, and Tania your favourite – the pookie – is also back in the story though only briefly.

I am not going to elaborate too much on the storyline because if you loved the first book you will adore the second one as well!

No...more
Lexie
I sometimes forget that Marillier is a slowburn fantasy writer. Action, when it happens, is swift, brutal and harrowing for everyone involved so the bulk of the book is character building. Raven Flight is very much about everyone coming to grips with what they have to do for the greater good. Neryn and Flint both have to square their circles of guilt. Tali and Reagan have to learn to anticipate, not react, no matter how strategic those reactions are.

And above all the Good Folk need to get off th...more
LiteraryLover
It drives me crazy when I get into a series and I have to wait a million years (give or take) for the next book to come out which by then I have forgotten everything about the first novel. Thankfully this just recently came out so I caved and bought this sequel however now that I'm done it'll be forever till the next in the series. *End Rant*

Anyways I still liked this book a lot although I felt in certain parts this wrapped themselves up too nicely, but that's just me being picky.
Candace
Raven Flight definitely suffers from the dreaded "middle book syndrome." I know that this series can be riveting; I felt it when I read Shadowfell, and I felt it when I got to the last 5% of this book. But, everything leading up to the ending, with the exception of one pretty intense scene, can mostly be described by the word "meh."

You see, I had two major problems with Raven Flight - one being Neryn, and the other being the pacing. These problems are somewhat intertwined, as Neryn just isn't a...more
Ellie
Overall impression:
Raven Flight is an engrossing follow-up to Shadowfell. With a surprising development at the end of the novel, I can’t wait to see what happens next.

Read the full review on Book Revels.
Xana
mais um livro fabuloso de Juliet Marillier.
Esta autora tem o dom de me agarrar à leitura como poucos!
Adorei a história, choraminguei no final e estou ansiosa pelo próximo.
Personagens forte, a admiração por Tali cresceu, Neryn é forte e apaixonante, Flint é fabuloso... enfim.. Adorei :-)
Sofia Teixeira
A história de Neryn e Flint começou em Shadowfell e a promessa de que muito ainda estava para acontecer cumpriu-se. O Voo do Corvo, continuação dessa narrativa, é uma obra que não apazigua, pelo contrário, revolve-nos por dentro semeando a ansiedade e a necessidade de avançar sempre cada vez mais na história. Acima de tudo acaba por ser um ponto de paragem obrigatório entre o início e o fim da trama, servindo mais como uma ponte entre o que aconteceu e o que está para vir.

Neryn, depois da sua r...more
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
I did end up liking this, but I can also admit that I am a leeeetle bit disappointed. This falls prey to the "quest" sort of plot that pops up so often in fantasy.... and that doesn't really make for the most compelling read.

Review to come.
The Ending 16 33 Nov 21, 2013 06:34AM
  • Who Needs Magic? (Magic, #2)
  • Royal Airs (Elemental Blessings, #2)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)
  • Golden Girl (The American Fairy, #2)
  • Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • Witchfall
  • The Cracks in the Kingdom (The Colours of Madeleine, #2)
  • The Mirrored Shard (Iron Codex, #3)
  • Northlander (Tales of the Borderlands, #1)
  • Legends of Australian Fantasy
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • The Voice (Ephemera, #0.5)
  • Scarlet in the Snow
  • Bad Unicorn
  • Avery (The Chronicles of Kaya #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
Juliet Marillier was born July 27, 1948 in Dunedin, New Zealand and grew up surrounded by Celtic music and stories. Her own Celtic-Gaelic roots inspired her to write her first series, the Sevenwaters Trilogy. Marillier was educated at the University of Otago, where she majored in music and languages, graduating BA and a B Mus (Hons). She has said in an interview that this academic training strengt...more
More about Juliet Marillier...
Daughter of the Forest  (Sevenwaters, #1) Son of the Shadows (Sevenwaters, #2) Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1) Child of the Prophecy (Sevenwaters, #3) Heir to Sevenwaters (Sevenwaters, #4)

“There's a light shining in him, moving him forward: the light of freedom. That's what draws all of us to follow, to take risks, to keep on fighting when we see our comrades fall beside us. But there's no light without shadow.” 4 likes
“I like your anger,' the Hag said mildly. 'I like your resistance. It makes you less than courteous, but altogether more interesting.” 4 likes