Start by marking “The Ultimates” as Want to Read:
The Ultimates

The Ultimates (The Ultimates #1-2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  7,310 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
A teenager is climbing walls in Manhattan. Mutants are attacking the White House. Nick Fury, head of the elite espionage agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., knows the only way to combat these strange new threats is with a team of hisown superhumans. Backed by a billion-dollar budget, Fury recruits Giant Man, the Wasp, Iron Man, Captain America and Thor. And while the team is str ...more
Published May 24th 2006 by Marvel (first published October 27th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimates

Sesana
Dec 29, 2012 Sesana rated it it was ok
Shelves: superhumans, comics
The Ultimates comes very highly recommended, from more than a few people. But for me, it was far from living up to the hype.

The basic concept of the Ultimate 'verse is to make the familiar Marvel heroes more "real" and "edgy". In The Ultimates, Millar attempts to do that by making nearly every single character a complete jerk. Even unnamed extras are jackasses for no other reason than because it's "realistic" (no, it really isn't). Hank Pym is abusive towards his wife, and nobody seems to care m
Hannah G.
"You think this letter on my head stands for France?" still makes no damn sense and will never make sense because mark millar thinks he's an edgy and gritty writer when all he is is try-hard.

honestly, if you recommend ultimates to me and tell me it's a better universe and better depiction of the avengers because it's more "realistic" then we can't be friends. we just can't.
Jesse A
Jun 22, 2016 Jesse A rated it really liked it
The Ultimate universe, where apparently everyone is an asshole. Felt like a warped version of the Avengers we know and love. It is a very good Avengers story if you can just get past the Avengers being dicks.
Gavin
Oct 20, 2013 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This massive Hardcover covers all of the Ultimates Vols 1 & 2.
As a whole, this is rather enjoyable, and I can see where some of the look for the Avengers movie came from.
There are however, parts I wasn't super keen on, and wonder if Mark Millar isn't actually mentally damaged...wife beating, teasing Hulk with stupid 13yr old comments, having most of the characters be gigantic assholes...
However, all this "new" characterization, and yet: Hank Pym still beats Janet; Tony Stark is still a drunk
Jbainnz
Sep 04, 2014 Jbainnz rated it liked it
This is a really hard one to put my finger on. It was enjoyable to most extent, but some sections were a bit shaky. I originally gave it 4 stars cause it didn't deserve a 3, then again it doesn't warrant a 4 star either. Damn you GR for not including decimal points!

This is actually my first Marvel comic I have bought. I am and will always be a DC man, but above all I'm a comic book fan. And like hell I'm going to miss out on a good read just cause of the company name. After having a few people r
Caitlin
Jan 01, 2016 Caitlin rated it did not like it
The ULTIMATES showcases the good, the bad, and the rapey characteristics of comics neatly into one volume!

What started out entertaining quickly devolved as soon as Bruce began interacting with his ex, Betty. Banner is portrayed as a victimized male, boo hoo, who goes into a Hulk rapey rage. He murders hundreds of people, wants to eat The Avengers—oh, sorry, THE ULTIMATES—and can't stop talking about how horny he is and how he wants to sexually destroy Betty.

Then Betty blames herself and pities p
Labyrinth
I'm being generous to these books and attempting to rate them as if I'd never seen Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, or any Avenger before. They're not Avengers. They're "Ultimates." The story is fast paced, action packed, and cinematic, but I have to make this distinction because these certainly aren't the characters that I love.

For example, the Cap that I know is the best of all good characters, American VALUES. In the Civil War series, he chooses to American values over "America." As an "Ulti
Bradley
Apr 29, 2009 Bradley rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
in 1963, Marvel comics consisted of a group of unconnected superhero titles, which, for the most part, ignored eachother. Only in Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four had they even hinted that all these characters existed in the same world. Then Stan Lee created a new book, the Avengers, which threw these powerful heroes together for the first time. They were really just a superhero club, hanging out at there rich friends house and occassionally fighting bad guys.

Ultimates is a complete reinvention
Holden Attradies
When I really started getting into reading super-hero comics this was the first thing that simply blew me away. The writing is amazing, the only word I can think of to describe the art work is "cinematic". There were moments that were so emotionally charged it brought me to tears from levels of shear realistic uncomfortableness (the domestic abuse between the Pym's) and pages that brought me to tears of laughter (just about any thing where the Hulk had a line).

There have been comics I've read t
David Brown
Feb 09, 2011 David Brown rated it it was amazing
This book has Samuel L. Jackson. Done. Nuff said. Everything else is just icing on the cake Beautiful panels check, interesting characters check, compelling story check. The Ultimates is modern and gritty. A retelling of characters that are decades old. Turing super Heroes into super stars of a digital age. Super stars that might have abilities the rest of don’t, but they make mistakes just like everyone else. While vets of the genre may take offence to some of the changes, for new comers this i ...more
Logan
Jun 07, 2016 Logan rated it it was ok
Ah, another Mark Millar book that I read before I decided to swear him off forever. This comic book has its fans, but I think people mistake hard edge for maturity. Like many "mature" books, the writing here comes off more as childish.

Before I bear my fangs, I will say that Millar does have the ability to write exciting stories. They're framed like movies, since nowadays he only writes books that he thinks could be adapted to screen. However, there are pacing issues with the book. Most of The Ul
Arqui
Oct 06, 2016 Arqui rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mi resistencia en lo que refiere al Universo Ultimate ha llegado a su fin, en gran parte debido a las recomendaciones y criticas positivas que he leído sobre The Ultimates, justamente en el momento en que este universo parece haber colapsado junto al Marvel 616.

Monumental sería la palabra para describir a esta obra.
Millar ha dotado a su guión del máximo realismo que creo un comic de superhéroes puede soportar, con muy buenos diálogos y con un nivel de critica político/social muy interesante.
Ad
Arun Divakar
Apr 20, 2016 Arun Divakar rated it it was ok
There seems to be a certain addiction that comic book writers have for the origin story of characters or teams. The affectionately call it ’the reboot’ and one of them seems to surface every two months or so when a new writer comes on board. So in countless books we see a lone spacecraft coming to Earth from planet Krypton, there is an awkward teenager is bitten by a radioactive spider, a nerdy scientist gets hit by gamma rays and a millionaire couple gets gunned down in front of their only son. ...more
Gavin Smith
Jul 18, 2016 Gavin Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fiction
Rereading The Ultimates, I can't say I enjoyed it nearly as much as I did back when it was new. There are several problematic elements, some which have always been there, and others that have become apparent as the book ages. And this book HAS aged. Using Hollywood actors as character models and filling the dialogue with references to contemporary culture really ties The Ultimates to the early 2000s. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it dates both the story and the art in a way that more cl ...more
C
Apr 13, 2016 C rated it liked it
Mark Miller's 2004 reboot of the Avengers seems to be written with the adult audience in mind: those who grew up with Marvel and were, at the time, looking for a fresh spin on it. It's grittier, angrier, and gorier than what I've seen of the older comics (admittedly, I haven't seen much) or the more recent movie reboots.

Most of the characters in The Ultimates are more antihero than hero. While I understand that the Stan Lee versions have those elements (Tony Stark as a drunk, Ant-Man beating up
Tony Cafiso
May 14, 2014 Tony Cafiso rated it really liked it
The Ultimates was basically an old version of the Avengers story. Captain America, Thor, the Hulk and Iron Man are all in it and part of the shield agency. In this version the Hulk ends up being the enemy thinking it would help bring the rest of the team together and give them some positive publicity. I enjoyed reading this and seeing an old take on the avengers story. It was particularly interesting when the characters started talking about who would play them if a movie was made about them sin ...more
James DeSantis
May 30, 2016 James DeSantis rated it really liked it
Originally gave this one a 5/5 but Upon re-reading some of the dialog really sucks haha. It's borderline silly and over the top. I especially dislike the way Millar makes out Hulk as a horny creature who just wants to fuck everything.

On the flipside I love this no fucks giving Cap. He will knock you out, be somewhat sexist, and racist, and somehow it works. I also really enjoy Tony and Thor in this universe.

I think it's a lot of fun, especially the first half, the second half is entertaining b
Natalie
Oct 16, 2014 Natalie rated it did not like it
I hated this book.

So I started this thinking, "let's get into some modern-day Avengers comics"... and then was confronted by some pretty blatant misogyny/sexism/violence towards women - from the main characters - and I finished the first volume, but I'm not reading further.

I don't know if they get better over the course of the next few volumes. I don't care. Pretty much every character you're supposed to like is a massive asshole.

In summary: to be avoided. Go read fanfic on A03 instead. Even the
Dave Hicks
Aug 19, 2008 Dave Hicks rated it really liked it
This book is a must read for anyone, not just the comic book fan. It works because it takes all the well known avengers and thrusts them into the modern day. It is almost like a really great action movie since there are the wow moments that give you chills. I recommend it as a starting point for anyone to read their first superhero comic.
Craig
May 08, 2011 Craig rated it it was amazing
Now this is what you'd expect from a comic that dare calls itself "the Ultimates." Awesome artwork and a pair of stories worthy of big-screen treatment. Hopefully, the Avengers movie, when it comes, will be half as entertaining.
Javier
Dec 21, 2016 Javier rated it it was ok
A good work rebooting the marvel universe. When you try something that ambitious it's only normal that some of the characters are not very convincing. Anyway, a lot more darker that the normal avengers.

Volume 1 and 2 are OK, the rest you can live without reading them
Jeff Raymond
Jul 09, 2010 Jeff Raymond rated it really liked it
I don't know the mythos behind Captain America and the Hulk, but this reminded me of Watchmen, but with licensed characters - flawed heroes forced to adjust to a changing world around them. I loved it, honestly.
Hossein
Mar 27, 2016 Hossein rated it it was amazing
مارک میلار بدون شک از تمام نویسنده هایی که می شناسم خلاق تره، حتی چند درجه بالاتر از نیل گیمن هم قرار می گیره، یک تیم در حال مرگ میگیره، بهترین کمیک رو می نویسه.
Dan
Jul 06, 2016 Dan rated it liked it
God, Mark Millar is *such* a douche.
Zed
Mar 01, 2012 Zed rated it liked it
This book was so good!
Rick (from Another Book Blog)
The world is changing. Crime is becoming super-crime. Terrorism is becoming super-terrorism. Humans are becoming super-humans. Heroes are becoming superheroes.

With the backing of the U.S. Government, General Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. have assembled a team of super-powered beings to address any potential threat this new world may now face: The Ultimates. Captain America, the Super-Soldier who will lead the team; Iron Man, the personal weapons system of billionaire Tony Stark; Giant Man, able to
Jakub
Oct 27, 2016 Jakub rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am in two minds about the "new" take on the Avengers. On the one hand I like the gritty aspects but even for me seeing Captain America kicking a helpless Banner in the face was a bit strange. And the Pym meltdown at the end. I do not have any emotional attachment to the super-team but it still felt out of place. But on the whole I liked this one - especially the art.
Christopher Rush
Dec 31, 2013 Christopher Rush rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Meh. More like "Ultimate Jerks." I understand that this generation of comic book writers has a deep-seated need to do "what if" stories or reboots instead of working in the universe that already exists, but the point of the Ultimate Universe never made much sense to me. Marvel had been doing just fine pretending its superheroes didn't age very fast, ignoring the datedness of itself over the years without the need to relaunch, reboot, or retcon (well, sort of) every four years. Perhaps I am overr ...more
Scott Calibraxis
Aug 29, 2012 Scott Calibraxis rated it it was amazing
If you want to read something that comes closest to the Avengers movie in terms of spectacle and modern sensibilities, The Ultimates is for choice.

This is a sort of a modern re-boot of the Marvel universe, set in the so-called "Ultimate" universe. It re-imagines the origin of the Avengers, but updated to the present day. A lot of tweaks are made to the characters, so don't expect a perfect adherence to the characterizations you might be familiar with. This is definitely new take.

Writer Mark Mill
Jennie
Feb 01, 2016 Jennie rated it liked it
The first volume of the Ultimates is, at its core, a pretty solid superteam origin story. In this universe, the United States government is putting together a team of superhumans in response to a fairly large supervillain attack. Making the Ultimates a government-sponsored organization from the start politicizes them off the bat, and many people question the need to funnel money away from traditional military endeavors in reaction to a single attack. Interestingly enough, Thor is one of the proj ...more
  • Captain America, by Ed Brubaker: Omnibus, Volume 1
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past
  • The Authority, Vol. 1: Relentless
  • S.H.I.E.L.D.: Architects of Forever
  • Supreme Power, Volume 1: Contact
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more
More about Mark Millar...

The Ultimates (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Ultimates, Volume 1: Super-Human
  • The Ultimates, Volume 2: Homeland Security
  • The Ultimates 2, Volume 1: Gods and Monsters
  • The Ultimates 2, Volume 2: Grand Theft America
  • The Ultimates 3: Who Killed the Scarlet Witch?
  • Ultimatum
  • Ultimate Comics New Ultimates: Thor Reborn
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates: Death of Spider-Man
  • Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, by Jonathan Hickman, Volume 1: The Republic Is Burning
  • Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, by Jonathan Hickman, Volume 2: Two Cities. Two Worlds.

“Naked guy think Hulk stupid?” 3 likes