Start by marking “Pictures in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Pictures in the Dark

Pictures in the Dark

Sisters Carlie and Sarah live in a little old house in Spokane, Washington. It's the 1950s and the Nevilles seem like the perfect family-Dad runs a floor-cleaning business, and Mom takes care of the girls. But something is wrong, and no matter how careful Sarah and Carlie are, they never know what might make their mother fly into a rage. They don't know if they'll get dinn ...more
Published May 6th 2004 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Pictures in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pictures in the Dark

Megan
Jul 15, 2008 Megan added it
Recommends it for: 7th grade and up interested in child abuse themes
Shelves: yafiction
Though the County classed this as a Juvie fiction book, its themes of child abuse and neglect seemed far too strong for a very young Juvie audience. I would strongly recommend this book as a more wholesome alternative to VC Andrews; with less melodrama and more heart, the sister protagonists of this story try their best to relate to their manic-depressive mother and don't quite come out unscathed.
Kayla
Feb 26, 2012 Kayla rated it liked it
I read this book in 2005 and I couldn't remember the name or author, all I could remember was bits and pieces of the story.
I JUST found it about 20 minutes ago! I am SO happy!!

Update (03/2012): Just finished this book. It wasn't as good as it was when I was younger, but I still liked it.
Kaitlyn Negus
Jan 11, 2017 Kaitlyn Negus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-for-school
Very wonderful book, it hurt my heart sometimes to read.
Dayla Martinez
Dec 01, 2016 Dayla Martinez rated it it was amazing
Two girls in the bedroom scared to make noise because if the do they set off their mom. The genre of this book is realistic fiction. My opinion about this book is that it was really good and interesting.
The setting of this story is in Sarah and Carlie's bedroom. The two girls have a mom that can get mad or be nice at any moment. They can't make any noise or light or else there mom will go to their room and they'll never know if she'll be nice or mad. Sometimes when their mom is in a good mood
Lucy Martinez
Oct 29, 2013 Lucy Martinez rated it really liked it
What if you were scared to get caught eating by your mother and you don’t know what she would do if she did? This is a realistic fiction story about Sarah and Carlie, two sisters that have to deal with their mother who is very unfair and strict.

In this story, Sarah and Carlie wanted them and their mother to love each other, but their mother was very mean and treated them unfairly. So the two sisters have to learn how to deal with her treating them as she does. The conflict is person vs. person b
Nicole Wales
Nov 23, 2015 Nicole Wales rated it did not like it
Pictures in the Dark is a long drawn out story about how two sisters, Carlie and Sarah, suffer while living with their strict and abusive mother and a bystander for a father. Most of the story consists of several incidents where the girls' mother yells at them or physically hurts them. Only in the last few chapters does the fictional story's plot becomes interesting when Carlie has finally had enough and runs away. This event changes the personalities of Sarah, the father, and even the mother bu ...more
Jenny
Mar 08, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, realistic
Carlie and Sarah are stuck in a house with an abusive mother and an inattentive father. The girls live in fear of angering their mother. They can't use the bathroom or eat without permission. Carlie has been sneaking out to meet Jesse, the gas station attendant. One day Carlie cant take it anymore and runs away. Sarah is left behind, wondeirng the worst. Will she be able to tell the truth and end it?
Breezy
Oct 01, 2008 Breezy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Breezy by: Found it in school library
This book is an amazing story of a close sister bond... and parental mistakes. The two protagonists are lovable and you feel as though you hurt with them throughout the novel. I cried during several parts... it's one of my favourite books. At some points I relate to the younger sister, and I sympathize. Must-read in my book.
Miko O.
Dec 19, 2011 Miko O. rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen
I know the story takes place in olden times (not sure when, but their TV is black-and-white), but the characters in this book use phrases like, "Gee" and "Oh, brother" in highly stressful situations -- for example, when their abusive mother is on the rampage. The author clearly hasn't been a teenager for a very, very long time, and it shows; her protagonists sound like they're 8, not 12 and 16.
Abigail Porter
Apr 29, 2009 Abigail Porter rated it it was amazing
I think this book is really good. It is about a sixteen-year-old called Carlisle/Carlie, a twelve-year-old, an as-it-seems evil mum and an in-the-background dad. Carlie makes a terrible mistake and ends up leaving her mum in tears, for the reason you will have to read the book!! An UNBELIEVIBLY amazing book that you HAVE to read!
Julie
Jun 27, 2010 Julie rated it liked it
A teen book that I grabbed for Rachel for our vacation, I suddenly found myself without a book and I picked it up. It was a sad story, but really good. I'm hoping she'll read it!!
Becca
Nov 12, 2011 Becca rated it really liked it
it was a book to betryral to two girls who r scared of there mother and waiting for a change in there life and they r waiting and drawing pictures in the dark.
Brucie
Apr 02, 2009 Brucie rated it really liked it
Book is about two sisters who are being abused by their mother - their father is "not noticing" what is happening. It is full of suspense, didn't want to put it down!
Stephanie A.
Jul 20, 2012 Stephanie A. rated it liked it
Did not trample over 1950s suburban nostalgia anywhere near as much as I thought it would! Instead, actually made a good story out of having an unpredictable, neglectful/abusive mother.
Sue
Jul 10, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it
The sisters in this book were to be pitied, but the most interesting thing for me was the setting was in the 1950's, so I recognized a lot of the special things about that era. Interesting.
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2011
Jenni Frencham
Jenni Frencham rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2012
Courtney Edson
Courtney Edson rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2011
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2011
Kacey Rai
Kacey Rai rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2008
Emm_jems_16
Emm_jems_16 rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2012
flashbackhumour
flashbackhumour rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2010
Dana Andersen
Dana Andersen rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Zainab Moussa
Zainab Moussa rated it did not like it
Feb 23, 2013