Start by marking “Avengers, Vol. 1: World Trust” as Want to Read:
Avengers, Vol. 1: World Trust

Avengers, Vol. 1: World Trust (Avengers, Vol. III)

3.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
They are Earth's Mightiest Heroes, banded together from across the globe, united in their vow to protect the Earth from those enemies against whom no single super hero can stand alone... and this may be their greatest challenge. The capital cities of every nation on Earth have mysteriously vanished, throwing the planet into anarchy. In this time of extraordinary crisis, th ...more
Published March 17th 2003 by Marvel Comics Group

To ask other readers questions about Avengers, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avengers, Vol. 1

Nicolo Yu
Mar 06, 2012 Nicolo Yu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collected-comics
Before making a career out of character rebirths (Hal Jordan, Barry Allen and Aquaman), Geoff Johns made his name in comics by following lengthy acclaimed runs with an exceptional turn at the title of his own. Following Mark Waid on Flash, he had his own fan favorite five-year run on the title, making it look very easy. It is understandable why Marvel went to him to helm a new direction for Avengers after Kurt Busiek left the title.

This hardcover contains the first five issues of what would be a
Brian Poole
Jun 08, 2015 Brian Poole rated it liked it
Following Kurt Busiek’s iconic run was no easy task. Enter Geoff Johns, during his brief flirtation with Marvel before becoming embedded at DC. Several world capitals disappeared, including Washington, DC. The Avengers, still with a fairly expansive roster, set about trying to calm the international community and solve the disappearances. Falcon, Ant-Man, Sub-Mariner and Black Panther all returned. In a panic, the U.N. turned control of the world over to the Avengers. The answers were found with ...more
Sud666
Feb 02, 2016 Sud666 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I have always been a big fan of Geoff Johns and try to read most of his work. So when I found out he did the Avengers back in 2002, I picked up this volume. This collects the story of World Trust. A mysterious force has taken the capitals of the world and the UN elects the Avengers to temporarily run the world and figure out what's going on.
I will not spoil it by saying more. This version of the Avengers, is slightly different than what I'm used to with a more classic feel. I'm talking Thor with
Scott
In the aftermath of the devastating Kang War, the communities of the world are recovering surprisingly well, but it isn't long before a new global threat appears. Capital cities are disappearing, replaced by swirling voids, and the Scarlet Witch is stricken with a disturbing transformation.

It was probably a thankless task following Kurt Busiek's long run on the title but I think Geoff Johns did a pretty good job with it. My main problem with this slim volume is that the story feels incomplete. W
Todd
May 20, 2013 Todd rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-5-13
Oh, how I kind of hate Geoff Johns. I like that everyone (Except Captain America, of course) curses at least once in here.

I 'm not a huge fan of the art. Sometimes everyone just looks dead. The mouth slight agape and no hint of intelligence in the eyes.

The story itself was interesting, and I'll be reading on.
Ernest
Jul 28, 2011 Ernest rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting enough volume, with story and art that had both some suitably heroic moments and overly simplistic portrayals. This resulted in a volume that was enjoyable enough while reading, but did not make a long term impact on me nor hold anything to really draw me back.
Sineala
Well, it's very different from Busiek's run, and I am not a fan of the art at all, but the plot's not bad. There's a lot of intrigue set up, as all the world leaders disappear, the Avengers take charge, and they have to figure out who to trust -- both outside the team and within it. (I mean, honestly, Gyrich's always going to be involved in something bad, right?)

I loved the team dynamics here, especially Tony being convinced T'Challa is using him. (And bonus Doom appearance, heh.)
Federiken Masters
No sé si la idea de darle la "presidencia del mundo" (no es literal, pero casi) a un grupo de superhéroes mayoritariamente estadounidenses tiene demasiado sentido, incluso en el contexto de una historieta usacentristas como son las de Marvel, tenga mucho sentido que digamos... Pero haciéndole las concesiones necesarias, este es un buen comic de equipo, y supera cómodamente casi todo lo que leí de Johns en DC.
Puntos extra por incluir la miniserie de Visión.
Sierra Dean
Jan 25, 2015 Sierra Dean rated it it was ok
I have reached a point where I don't HATE Geoff Johns comics the way I once did. I now understand the aesthetic he's going for in his writing. It just doesn't appeal to me.

That said, the stand-alone Scott/Jack story in here has some real emotion to it, making me think Johns' real skill might be on smaller scale character pieces. I might read his Flash stuff.
Christina Azzo
Dec 21, 2014 Christina Azzo rated it it was ok
This was ok, but a bit boring story wise, which is surprising considering the high stakes. It mostly feels like they are just moving from one event to the next. The foreshadowing for future stories was more interesting then the actual story. The story also makes Black Panther look like a jerk. Carol Danvers was right for calling him out and yet Captain America and Tony Stark barely give him a slap on the wrist for his behavior. Namor in his odd way always seems to try and make up for his actions ...more
Mitchell
The Avengers save the world. Again. Decent writing and good enough art and okay use of the characters. With a silly (but not bad) Loki story as a backup, but with bad art. And yet there really wasn't anything special here. 3.5 of 5.
Devero
Mar 01, 2015 Devero rated it liked it
Raccoglie il primo ciclo dei Vendicatori di Johns, che di certo ha fatto poi di meglio. La storia è alquanto telefonata, e i disegni di Dwyer inferiori al solito, ma nel complesso non è male. Ci sono gli spunti giusti e l'uso dei personaggi è equilibrato, cosa sempre difficile in un gruppo numeroso.
Francesca
Feb 14, 2014 Francesca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit the plot is a little chaotic, but the whole theme of the story is chaos vs. order and how one must work with the other. So overall I enjoyed the read.
TJ Shelby
Jul 23, 2010 TJ Shelby rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel
Geoff Johns takes over the reins from Kurt Busiek's 56 issue run on The Avengers and leaves his mark immediately. He brings the Avengers out of the negative public light and (most importantly) cuts the ties between The Avengers as an American super-team and establishes them as belonging to the world.

His portrayal of the reverence Captain America receives from other heroes is done to perfection. He also continues Busiek's skill of showing the weaknesses of Avenger members to make the reader conne
La Revistería Comics
Tercer tomo de los Vengadores de Johns (primero cronológicamente) con el arranque de su corta pero más que cumplidora etapa a cargo de los héroes más poderosos de la Tierra (tanto, que pasan a presidirla por un tiempito)...
Incluye la miniserie de Visión, con guiones del mismísimo Johns y dibujos de un Ivan Reis principìante que ya despuntaba formas...
Travis
Dec 11, 2009 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Some really good moments add up to an unsatisfying whole in Geoff Johns first Avengers story. Some nice character bits, and Johns juggles a big cast nicely, but the over all story starts out interesting and then kid of ends on a 'blah' note.
Doesn't quite have the same spark as his work for DC.
Virginia
May 24, 2012 Virginia rated it really liked it
Enjoyably upbeat, brightly intelligent Avengers tales, with just enough Shulkie, Ms. Marvel, Vision, and Scarlet Witch to make the proceedings interesting. The somewhat 80s-style artwork and optimistic, yet introspective tone to the characters were great.
Username
Jan 28, 2015 Username rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, comics
Confusing and therefore, boring. After the big ending to Busiek's run, a big letdown.
Jeffrey Jelmeland
Not their best story, but one that clearly establishes a foundation for the future. I have read many books that are later in the timeline so this actually cleared up a few things for me. Now to try to fill in more blanks...
Angela
Jun 21, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
A character based Avengers story where they deal with the aftermath of the Kang invasion. It's nice to see them actually get the job done. A decent start in a new direction for the team.
Gary Lee
Jul 04, 2012 Gary Lee rated it liked it
Written by Geoff Johns, so it kinda smacks of a DC title, but it's a fun, quick read overall.
Matthew Bartlett
Apr 17, 2012 Matthew Bartlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art could have been better.
Christian Smith
Christian Smith rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Socialite
Socialite rated it liked it
May 11, 2016
Lama
Lama rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Marvel Reader
Marvel Reader marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Lucas Rafael
Lucas Rafael rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Zack
Zack rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
  • Captain America, Vol. 1: The New Deal
  • X-Men: Children of the Atom
  • Spider-Man: Death of the Stacys
  • Avengers/Defenders War
  • Avengers Arena, Vol. 3: Boss Level (Avengers Arena, #3)
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates: Death of Spider-Man
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 3: The Book of the Iron Fist
  • Daredevil: Father
  • Squadron Supreme
Geoff Johns originally hails from Detroit, Michigan. He attended Michigan State University, where he earned a degree in Media Arts and Film. He moved to Los Angeles in the late 1990’s in search of work within the film industry. Through perseverance, Geoff ended up as the assistant to Richard Donner, working on Conspiracy Theory and Lethal Weapon 4. During that time, he also began his comics career ...more
More about Geoff Johns...

Avengers, Vol. III (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Avengers: The Morgan Conquest
  • Avengers: Supreme Justice
  • Avengers: Clear & Present Dangers
  • Avengers: Ultron Unlimited
  • Avengers: Living Legends
  • Avengers: Above and Beyond
  • Avengers: The Kang Dynasty (Avengers)
  • Avengers: Standoff