Start by marking “All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  8,916 Ratings  ·  317 Reviews
All marketers tell stories. And if they do it right, we believe them. A good story is where genuine customer satisfaction comes from. It's the source of profit and it's the future of your organisation. This book shows how to discover and tell authentic stories that set you and your products or service apart from the competition.
Published May 19th 2005 by Portfolio Hardcover (first published 2005)

Yana Kiselyova
Oct 03, 2014 Yana Kiselyova rated it liked it
Shelves: marketing
Favorites:

Instead of being scientists, the best marketers are artists.

If people could skip the ads, they would.

She buys … because she wants it, not because she needs it.

We don’t need what you sell, friend.

We buy what we want.

Step 1: their worldview and frames got there before you did.

Every consumers has a worldview that affects the product you want to sell.

That worldview alters the way they interpret everything you say and do. Frame your story in terms of that worldview, and it will be heard.

Ste
Gabriela
Oct 12, 2012 Gabriela rated it it was amazing
In 'All Marketers Are Liars', Seth Godin proposes that marketers take a different approach to storytelling. He makes the assertion that marketers should be more focused on telling authentic stories as they are on creating quality products. However, people will buy a story first before they can buy the product itself. Using numerous anecdotes, Godin shows what makes some marketing campaigns successful and what makes others fail.

One of the points that really came across for me was the idea that co
Nicholas
Aug 18, 2008 Nicholas rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
Alex Plutzer
This book was incredibly unimpressive. It would be a fantastic 10 page essay but is clearly stretched out so as to barely fit into a miniature book. It's a quick read but it should be quicker. Seth regurgitates the same few points every few pages. I'd recommend reading the first 10 - 20 pages and putting it down. It feels like a knock-off of more substantial reads like Crossing the Chasm.

Seth also has a habit of immediately contradicting himself - "it's not the product, it's the story" followed
Lucas
Oct 03, 2012 Lucas rated it liked it
How Marketing Works (When it Works)

Step 1: Their worldview and frames got there before you did. A consumer's worldview affects the way he notices things and understands them. If a story is framed in terms of that worldview, he's more likely to believe it.

Step 2: People only notice the new and then make a guess. Consumers notice something only when it changes.

Step 3: First impressions start the story. A first impression causes the consumer to make a very quick, permanent judgment about what he wa
Asma Afreen
Jan 02, 2014 Asma Afreen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing, favorites
This was my first Seth Godin.

I've seen his TED talks, his interviews and read his blog at regular intervals. And he was awesome! I knew what he was going to say even before I started reading and agreed wholeheartedly. I was just curious to read how he puts it.

What I didn't expect this book to do, though, was change the way I think. Godin's theory is pretty simple: Tell an authentic story about your brand. Consistently, across all fronts. How he went about telling this story is what the book is
Philip
May 30, 2013 Philip rated it really liked it
Seth Godin’s typical overstated and shocking title made me think twice before digging in, but as I started plowing through the work I realized that his approach actually makes a lot of sense. There were a couple points that I disagreed with along the way, but overall I get where he is going. Godin says that everyone wants to hear a story, a narrative, that fits with how they view life (worldview). If we frame the story that we tell in relation to this specific worldview, we will end up telling ...more
Aaron Wolfson
This book builds on Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable by showing that every remarkable product needs a story worth talking about. In many cases, we don't even buy the products themselves -- we buy them because of how they make us feel, because of the story it lets us tell ourselves.

Every story needs to be framed for a specific worldview. The story of Fox News is framed for conservatives who feel betrayed by mainstream media. The story of fancy watch or car is framed for peo
Chad Warner
Nov 17, 2016 Chad Warner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: markers, business owners
Recommended to Chad by: Nick Defoe
Godin shows how to use storytelling as marketing. He says that the successful marketers are those who honestly tell a story people want to believe and share. He describes principles and plenty of specific examples. There’s no filler.

Despite the title, Godin isn’t advocating lying. He calls the stories that consumers believes “lies,” because they often aren’t completely factually accurate. Stories are the lies consumers tell themselves based on the emotional need they want to fill by acquiring a
Erwin
Aug 16, 2012 Erwin added it
Excellent book. Read this along with Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action, Insanely Simple: The Obsession That Drives Apple's Success and Tuned in: Uncover the Extraordinary Opportunities That Lead to Business Breakthroughs.

Godin recommends Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers and his own Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable.

Bottom line is that "All Marketers are Story Tellers", but you need to go to
AAKASH
Sep 21, 2016 AAKASH rated it really liked it
Feel proud to have read this book.Seth looks into the minds of the people and tells us how to create a true and authentic story.
Tom Franklin
Aug 18, 2012 Tom Franklin rated it really liked it
In "All Marketers are Liars" Seth Godin frames his post TV-industrial complex world of advertising as one of good storytelling. We, the public, are looking for strong, authentic stories that we want to believe. These are the ways new products catch fire with the public.

Godin says, in essence, we're all looking for new superstitions. A superstition is a story/belief told to us by someone we believe. We then take on that same belief, regardless of any greater Truth. In fact, we will seek out addit
Amanda Mitchell
Mar 19, 2015 Amanda Mitchell rated it it was amazing
This is a book about storytelling in marketing. Why recommend it? Well, because all of us use marketing (whether we know it or not) in the workplace. Selling products through the use of compelling, attention-getting stories is not new. However, Seth Godin provides a good rationale for why focusing communication through story is particularly important now. Substitute “yourself/your career” for “products/services” and you’ll see how applicable this book can be in communicating your ...more
Bill
Feb 02, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it
I had low expectations for this book; however, it offered an interesting perspective amongst enjoyable anecdotes and examples. Seth Godin's thesis is that marketers must tell an authentic story that is congruent with a potential consumer's worldview; marketing merely based on price, quality, or features no longer has much effect. Consumers have evolved and are now savvy enough to deflect most if not all forms of traditional marketing. His assertion is that the way forward is to segment a ...more
Nick
Aug 28, 2008 Nick rated it liked it
Facts don't spread an idea. An idea must be really remarkable for it to be remarked on. People don't change their minds or admit they were wrong, generally, so you can't do battle on familiar grounds to them. Your story has to be authentic and consistent, as well as well-geared toward people who already agree with its worldview. A subtle story does not sound like an attempt to sell something. People buy things they want, not things they need, so you can only sell on "want"-like subjective ...more
Brett
Apr 18, 2010 Brett rated it really liked it
Have a good story to tell. And then tell it.

Those two sentences pretty much sum up what Seth Godin is trying to get across in All Marketers are Liars Storytellers. As always, he provides plenty of anecdotal and scholarly evidence and background to support his argument, but in the end his advice can be easily summarized.

That's not to say that it is as easily implemented.

Having read Seth's blog for a few months now, and a couple of his other books (Tribes, Linchpin), going back to this one expose
Jordan Price
Aug 21, 2010 Jordan Price rated it really liked it
Mr. Godin's point is that the perceived story behind a product is more important to potential buyers than the product itself. He uses "telling lies" as a shorthand for that throughout the book and I found it contrived and distracting. (He also mentions he's doing this, which makes it less problematic for me because I dig the sense of humor.)

However, as always, he supports his theories with well-known, real world examples--and this is what I always appreciate in his work. Often, nonfiction writer
Tanya Hristova
Nov 05, 2016 Tanya Hristova rated it did not like it
Shelves: dropped
Can you write a 200 page book without any content whatsoever? Apparently, you can. The author has followed his friend Lisa's example - a best seller that doesn't offer anything new and just caters to already existing worldviews. The same statement was repeated over and over again, without being proven even once.
Robert Neal
Sep 01, 2016 Robert Neal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really great and it brought together ideas from a lot of other books I've read (Riveted & Contagious). Seth Godin is a great story teller and I'd recommend Gary Vaynerchuck as a good case study for what he talks about.
James
Jun 13, 2013 James rated it really liked it
Another interesting Seth Godin book. Several times during this book I thought, dammit, I've been sucked into the message they sold me. The book also had some interesting points on the desire to buy items and the self motivating factors behind those purchases.
Inna Davidiuk
Apr 16, 2014 Inna Davidiuk rated it it was ok
The book did not exceeded my expectations. The basic idea is interesting, I liked a lot of beautiful phrases about marketers, good examples, but all these can be fitted in a couple of pages of one booklet. It is a good storytelling.
Grayson
Jan 23, 2009 Grayson rated it it was ok
My business partner gave this book to me. He highly recommended it. Nothing profound. It's a book of concepts repeated over & over with no action steps. What took up a book could have taken up a magazine article
Mahmoud Ghoz
Sep 12, 2015 Mahmoud Ghoz rated it really liked it
This book is about how to tell an authentic story to the right people the right way. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has or will start a new product.
Hamish Davidson
Sep 04, 2016 Hamish Davidson rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This book does an excellent job of describing how effective marketers ‘tell stories’ and attempt with consumers whose world view lines up with with the goods or services they are peddling.
Andreea Chiuaru
Sep 08, 2016 Andreea Chiuaru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prima carte scrisă de Seth Godin pe care am citit-o. Cu siguranță nu și ultima.
Emily Sokolow
Fluffy and boring.
David Leavitt
Apr 25, 2014 David Leavitt rated it it was amazing

In All Marketers are Liars, Seth Godin explores what exactly marketing is, and the factors that that makes marketing successful. He seeks to understand why some brands fail and others succeed? Questions like why wine taste better in a $20 glass than in a $1 glass. Or why $125 pair of sneakers make our feet feel better or look cooler than a $25 brand pair of sneakers? Behind all these questions, Godin determines that the answer lies in the stories behind the product. That in fact all marketing i
Erica
Mar 10, 2016 Erica rated it really liked it
An expert in understanding the thought process of both customers and good marketers, Seth Godin is the author of many influential texts that help guide people in many professions. His experience comes from a history as an entrepreneur, marketer, and public speaker. The stories he tells are incredibly thought provoking and subtle but make the reader question their own perception of their relationships with companies and the effectiveness of these strategies on their own buying process. Many ...more
Nakul
Oct 27, 2016 Nakul rated it really liked it
"All Marketers are storytellers. Only the losers are liars." Godin's book essentially tells you how consumers tell themselves stories while buying things and how "successful marketers are just the providers of good stories that consumers choose to believe". A good book (and a short read) but slightly repetitive, this is a "sort-of-must-read-but-not-really" book for all marketing enthusiasts.
Michael
Dec 06, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite marketing book of all time.
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • The Copywriter's Handbook: A Step-By-Step Guide to Writing Copy That Sells
  • The Path of Least Resistance for Managers
  • Hire with Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Great Teams
  • Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust