Start by marking “Rise of the Shadow Stealers: The Firebird Chronicles” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Shadow Stealers: The Firebird Chronicles

Rise of the Shadow Stealers: The Firebird Chronicles

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Fletcher and Scoop are Apprentice Adventurers from the ancient establishment of Blotting's Academy on Fullstop Island, the place where all story characters are trained. The trouble is, they can't remember how they got there.

It's the first day of term, but the two apprentices soon realise something is wrong. Things are going missing, including their own memories, and Scoop
Published January 25th 2013 by Our Street Books (first published November 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Rise of the Shadow Stealers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise of the Shadow Stealers

Me
*This book was received through MissLiterati.com (from the publisher) for an honest review. No favours, money, or birds were given.*

Rise of the Shadow Stealers definitely started of fresh.

This book is full of clichés. They are left, right, centre, underneath you, behind you, everywhere you look. The characters themselves are huge stereotypes, fitting in to the different kinds of characters in the books. Fletcher and Scoop are Adventures, so as an avid fantasy reader they were quite familiar. It
Sian Llewellyn
This book has everything…danger, magic, mystery, plot twists and stories. The latter is not much of a surprise in a story book but this one is set on Full Stop Island, the place where all story characters are trained, meaning there are stories around every corner. Stories within stories, stories about stories and stories that have long been forgotten.

The main characters, Fletcher and Scoop, wake up to find they are apprentice adventurers at Blotting’s Academy where all is not as it should be. Th
Katharine
I've just finished reading "Rise of the Shadow Stealers" and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

It is a wonderfully descriptive and atmospheric book which engages and delights the reader from the start. Scoop and Fletcher are great lead characters, clever, fearless and inquisitive. Their quest is fast paced, breathless and in the tradition of all the best children's literature, a right ripping yarn.

When I've been forced to put this book down, I've been itching to get back to it, to find out what happens
Ian Fraser
I really enjoyed this book, Ingram-Brown's writing style is more enjoyable than JK Rowling's. Clever plot, numerous characters to get to know, a layered and colourful story, with good use of imagery. Compares favourably with other authors such as Ursula Le Guin (A Wizard of Earthsea), and even CS Lewis's Narnia stories, both of whose books have spiritual messages, and CS Lewis's also having a Christian theme running through them, though they stand on their own without reading the Christian theme ...more
Sarah Morris
A very lovely readable book. It grabs you within the first page and keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole way through! The characters are fab and connect really well with the reader. There's adventure, mystery, comedy, theatrics, madness and more as the story develops and there's not a moment of boredom to be had by readers old and young alike.

As a child I would have loved this story and as an adult I appreciate it's beauty all the more. Would (and have) recommend this to everyone who enj
Nathan Dring
If you haven't yet got around to reading 'Rise of the Shadow Stealers' then re-prioritise your time. A great, multi-layered, easily accessible, all age adventure. Brilliantly written with amazing imagination that you can't help but get wrapped up and carried away in. The next book can not come soon enough! This book is a fantastic showcase of a brilliant talent. Original, profound, exciting! More please Mr Brown!
Jodi Woody
This was a wonderful allegory! Along the lines of C.S. Lewis and John Bunyan. It was a fantastic read and I am hoping there will be more from Daniel Ingram-Brown. The story is all about stories. The world that our two unlikely heroes reside in is filled with plots, twists, tales, both fun and scary. I would recommend as a buddy read with a parent for ages under 10. I give it 4 stars. Good Job.
David Gilchrist
Very poor, rather pretentious and not up to the mark.
Peter Lane
I loved it - I must be a teenager (I'm not!)
I'm REALLY hoping that, unlike ROTSS, the second book, which is being written now, doesn't take 4 years to make it onto the bookshelves.
This book had it all - Magic, Mystery, Joy, Sorrow, goodies, baddies, heartbreak and romance.
WARNING the cover is made of glue - I couldn't put it down.
Marina Magdalena
Every chapter of this book is filled with mystery, adventure and suspense! The journey across Full Stop Island captivates the reader with its quirky characters, dangerous exploits and philosophical reflections. Without doubt, every 11 year old needs a copy, and every parent should borrow it! I'm looking forward to a sequel :-)
Mo Beynon
Each page is action packed so very difficult to put down. Some fantastic descriptive passages and it's also educational. In fact I've already recommended it to young friends who I'm sure will be as enthralled as I was. Very much looking forward to the sequel
Mund Carpenter
I read this book as a manuscript, and I just couldn't wait till it came out so I can have the proper book version! Full of mystery and is all together a great read;-)
Rachael Neall
An exciting read and such a clever idea. Really like the characters. Already looking forward to the next book. Well worth reading.
Lisa-jane
Lisa-jane marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Rebecca Barnard
Rebecca Barnard marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Jodie
Jodie marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Debby
Debby marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
Cathryn Bowen
Cathryn Bowen marked it as to-read
Brianna Anderson
Brianna Anderson marked it as to-read
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
Als
Als marked it as to-read
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Would you want an illustrated edition ? 2 2 Jan 04, 2013 01:03PM
  • Falls The Shadow (The Chronicles of Midgard, #1)
  • The Protectors: A Blue History Novel
  • Doors to Eternity (Temple of the Traveler, #1)
  • The Four Treasures of Eirean (The Tir Na Nog, #1)
  • Dragon Empire
  • Songs for a Machine Age
  • Darkness Rising (Catmage Chronicles, #1)
  • Existence (Synthetics' Society, #1)
  • Lark's Choice (The Deeds of the Ariane Novellas #3)
  • Destiny Unveiled (Destiny, #2)
  • The Magician's Tower (Oona Crate Mystery, #2)
  • Gown of Shadow and Flame
  • Gift of the Phoenix
  • Finding Justice
  • The Universal Mirror
  • The Nexus (The Watcher, #2)
  • It's a Catastrophe
  • The Time Weaver (The Time Weaver Chronicles #1)
Like Daniel's Facebook page
Follow Daniel on Twitter
Born in East London, Daniel now lives in Knaresborough, Yorkshire, in a house built of stones from the town’s ruined castle.
“I love the mystery of this little town,” Daniel says. “As I walk its ancient marketplace, passing leaning shops and jumbled pubs, it feels as if my characters might leap out from every corner!”
Daniel particularly likes to wr
More about Daniel Ingram-Brown...
The Leeds Story Cycle