Start by marking “The Real Charlotte” as Want to Read:
The Real Charlotte

The Real Charlotte

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A masterpiece of Irish literature of the Victorian Age, The Real Charlotte draws characters from the worlds of Anglo-Irish aristocracy and the native Irish peasantry. Delightful.-The Guardian.
Published October 5th 1999 by J. S. Sanders and Company (first published 1894)

To ask other readers questions about The Real Charlotte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Charlotte

Vivian Valvano
Jun 18, 2013 Vivian Valvano rated it really liked it
This is the second of the two nineteenth century Irish novels (the other being GRANIA, THE STORY OF AN ISLAND)that my expert friend Jim, of DePaul U, said was imperative to read - localized but not parochial, particularized in time and place, but global in human themes. And I believe that he is right. What a fascinating cast of characters, running a gamut of human sensibilities, idiosyncrasies, foibles, and imperfections (innocent and charming/conniving and unlikable ... just about everyone is h ...more
Dec 08, 2015 Laura marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Wanda, Dagny
Free download available at InternetArchive
Kristin Canfield
Feb 09, 2016 Kristin Canfield rated it really liked it
Welp that is one way to resolve a messy narrative
Deanne
One of those books that seems to get overlooked, which is a shame because it's worth a read. When I picked this up I was expecting the same comedy as Irish R.M, but The Real Charlotte is a more serious book, and darker. The characters lives intwine, there are secrets, scandals and plotting a plenty. The title of the book is also interesting, who is the real Charlotte?.
Wanda
Dec 08, 2015 Wanda marked it as to-read
8 DEC 2015 - Laura found a download. Link: https://archive.org/details/realcharl...

Jyoti51
Jan 10, 2016 Jyoti51 rated it really liked it
It's interesting how relevant this book still seemed - both to Ireland's history and to humans generally - after a gap of 40 years since I first read it.
The personal interactions and behaviours still seem complex and convincing and I am now much more struck by the way in which the book elaborates how women made use of their intelligence and skills in that context ... Not just as subject to their times, but to the constraints of class, colonialism (the confident entitlement of the English charac
A. Mary
Dec 31, 2012 A. Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish-novels
Perhaps I enjoyed this so much because it was such a refreshing, pleasant change from the intense reading I've been doing lately. Even if that is the reason for four full stars, I think the novel would stand up in other circumstances. Early on, I laughed aloud several times and wrote out a few hilarious descriptions to share. This co-written story has clearly drawn characters, and it isn't a simple read, as some might suppose it would be. There's much being said about human nature, and the title ...more
Kate
Jun 25, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
Apparently this is one of the most famous novels to come out of Ireland in the 19th century, and I found it in a dollar cart at the Book Barn. I love reading things I've never heard of, so it was exciting. It had everything you might expect from a 19th century British novel aimed at women: a female character who seduces men, sometimes accidentally and sometimes on purpose, unrequited love, money trouble, class issues stemming from people's money trouble, melodrama, and a somewhat evil older woma ...more
Jane
Jul 04, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
A lovely novel! Somerville and Ross are known for their witty books that describe the goings on between the Anglo-Irish aristocracy and the peasants that usually get the better of them. This is amore serious effort, reminiscent of Mrs. Gaskell's Wives and Daughters. A really fine read.
Corrie
Feb 10, 2016 Corrie added it
Shelves: spinstars
One of my new favorite spinster protagonists! If we can call Charlotte the protagonist...
But I'm not giving anything away because more people should read this book (if you can find it in print).
I recommend this to fans of Jane Austen, the Brontës, and Winifred Holtby. It's FUNNY, and there are cool things going on with animals, especially cats.
Victoria Jackson
Apr 08, 2016 Victoria Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ireland, owned
Good story. Quite an endearing heroine, very forthright, flirtatious with slightly common Dublin accent. Her romantic adventures with admirers and determination of them all to escape or avoid poverty.
Eleanor
May 20, 2015 Eleanor rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I heard a recommendation for this book on the radio - an english professor from Trinity College, said that her class would be in uproar if she didn't choose it in her top three books. It went on the list!!!

The writers were cousins (two women), and they had a great insight into life in the upper classes of Ireland during the Victorian era - which makes this book interesting, but it's the characters and their interaction that makes this novel zing. It is almost Austen like in the beautiful, entert
Philip Lane
Feb 04, 2015 Philip Lane rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the descriptions of the Irish landscape and houses as well as the brooding prescience of Charlotte. She really is a formidable character and one I am surprised I had not heard of previously.
Chelsea
Feb 09, 2016 Chelsea added it
Shelves: 2016, unfinished
i like the idea of the ugly woman as protagonist but i was just bored whenever they weren't talking about how ugly she was
Liz
Oct 29, 2012 Liz marked it as to-read
Shelves: unfinished
I've decided to read this for St. Patty's day. "The Real Charlotte" is one of the most famous novels to come out of Ireland during the 19th century, so I think it's an appropriate read for the weekend.
Thomasin
One of the most well-written books I've never finished! Will have to delve back in sometime. Words were music.
Anjelina Azizsoltani
Oct 08, 2012 Anjelina Azizsoltani rated it really liked it
Reminded me of Jane Austen types
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Hiroko
Hiroko rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Robson Martins
Robson Martins marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Philip Palios
Philip Palios rated it it was ok
May 07, 2016
Bedimo
Bedimo marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Jody
Jody added it
May 03, 2016
Laura Wasley
Laura Wasley marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
  • The Temptation of St. Antony
  • Worstward Ho
  • Gösta Berling's Saga
  • The Rector's Daughter
Edith Anna Œnone Somerville (2 May 1858 – 8 October 1949) was an Irish novelist who habitually signed herself as "E. Œ. Somerville". She wrote in collaboration with her cousin "Martin Ross" (Violet Martin) under the pseudonym "Somerville and Ross". Together they published a series of fourteen stories and novels, the most popular of which were The Real Charlotte, and The Experiences of an Irish R. ...more
More about Edith Somerville...