Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories, #10.7)

Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories #10.8)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  656 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Jaime Vegas—spiritualist, entertainer and, unbeknownst to her audience, real-life necromancer—swore she’d never do another reality ghost show after the last fiasco. But when she’s railroaded into a charity gig, she finds herself back on the set, this time with a cast of photogenic college kids, an up-and¬-coming Russian spiritualist, and a tale of missing girls and murder...more
Leather Bound, Limited Signed Edition, 120 pages
Published January 31st 2013 by Subterranean Press (first published November 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Amityville Horrible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amityville Horrible

Lainey
This book is from Jaime's perspective, of course, but we're going to talk about Jeremy first. The reason for this being that the scenes between Jeremy and Jaime made this novella for me. Oh Jeremy, Jeremy. Wherefore art thou...and where can I get one of my own?

Jeremy, for me, is one of the most perfect examples of a romantic interest in an Urban Fantasy/ Paranormal romance series. I still have trouble defining Kelley Armstrong's series genre. He is an Alpha Werewolf who is assertive, but not ove...more
Sandy
AMITYVILLE HORRIBLE (Otherworld Series) by Kelley Armstrong

About the book: “I don’t run from ghosts. ”His voice, right at my ear. “You will.”

Carmel (Rabid Reads)
I spent a large chunk of this novella thinking "this story is only a shorter version of NO HUMANS INVOLVED just with different ghosts." And, I stayed on that thought train up until the final pages when Armstrong reveals that no— in fact, this story is not at all what it seems. The plot is delightfully creepy, and incorporates a decent amount of this series’ mythology to make it feel like it could have been a full length installment.

Jaime’s always gotten a bad rep in the WOTO series, and is many...more
Julie-anne
I love all things Kelley Armstrong related so I knew I would like this. It has the added bonus of having Jaime and Jeremy as the leads, both are established and well loved characters.
This is actually set a few books ago (Elena is still alpha elect) so I was kind of confused before this information clicked in my head.
I really do love reading Jeremy out with his alpha-hood, I hope there'll be more Jeremy stories from Kelley.
Devices
To begin, I love Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series. I've read all of the full length novels and several of the novellas. Jaime happens to be one of my favorite characters in the series. She's clever without being book smart, knowledgable in her field, and always quick to catch on even when in an unfamiliar situation. Add to that confidence, courage, and likable personality and it's hard not to like her. That's what makes this novella so disappointing.

The set up in the beginning deserved a mu...more
Erin
Amityville Horrible was a very fun read and fans of Kelley Armstrong will enjoy it. While it is a very short novella it has some mystery, it is both funny and spooky, and it offers glimpses into the Otherworld and some of our favorite characters from it. Like Kelley's other novellas this one is likely best enjoyed by fans of her books who know the back stories and relationships. New readers will simply not get as much out of this book.
My favorite part of Amityville--as with all of her books-- wa...more

I love Kelley Armstrong and her Women Of The Otherworld series.

Amityville Horrible is an e-novella in the Women of the Otherworld series featuring Jaime. It is set after Frostbitten (book 10), but before Waking The Witch (book 11). I would not read it unless you've read the other Women Of The Otherworld books.

Since Thirteen I've been missing the series. So I was very happy to have another story to read featuring the characters from the Women Of The Otherworld series.

Jaime is the narrator. But we...more
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: C

Jaime gets forced into doing another reality special, being told it’s for charity, but really it’s just an excuse to stage a haunted house and feed into viewers using Jaime’s celebrity. When she checks into her hotel prior to taping, she sees three young ghosts, all women who are “reliving” their murders in the hotel at the hands of one man. The women are all wearing clothes that indicate that they’re from different eras and Jaime shares her...more
Jo
Originally reviewed for and posted at Vampire Book Club

Rating (out of 5): 4.5 stars

I was more than a little sad when Thirteen, the final installment of Kelley Armstrong’s fantastic Women of the Otherworld series, was released this summer. With the promise at the end that it wasn’t the last we would see of these characters though, here we have Amityville Horrible a novella featuring Jamie, set sometime between Frostbitten and Waking the Witch.

When Jamie’s manager ropes her into to doing another...more
Nancy O'Toole
Jamie Vegas is a necromancer who makes her living doing live shows as a spiritualist. She’s branched out to television in the past, with disastrous results. Jamie has pledged to never do reality TV again until her agent makes her an offer she can’t refuse. This leads her onto the set of a bogus haunted house. Jamie is shocked when she discovers real ghosts on the property, only they don’t act like any ghosts she’s encountered. With the help of her werewolf boyfriend, Jeremy Danvers, Jamie will n...more
Meghan
Oh Jamie. At least you didn't get kidnapped this time!

This was a nice little novella, which I hadn't even heard about until finding it on Goodreads! I read this after finishing Thirteen, the last (supposedly) in the Otherworld series, so I was quite happy to get back to the world that Ms Armstrong has built and even happier to have a story from Jamie's perspective. She was always one of my favorites in the series...

The story was pretty fun and centers around Jamie heading to a new reality show...more
Bea
I like Jaime and Jeremy so very much. I had hesitations about Jaime when she was first introduced but I like her more with each appearance. Unlike some readers, I've never hated Jaime. She is in many respects a normal person: she rarely uses her necromancer talent and never for money, she struggles with career choices and family issues, she deals with disapproval from her boyfriend's family, etc. She's not the most powerful supernatural out there although more than she once realized. In all, bei...more
Jenevieve
A novella set in the Women of the Otherworld series. Jamie Vegas is a real life necromancer who plays a spiritualist on stage for a living. After her last disastrous attempt at breaking into TV, she has decided that the normal show circuit is more to her liking until she is railroaded into another TV show. With her lover, Jeremy (alpha werewolf) by her side, she squares her shoulders and prepares for the show but even before the show starts, things start going weird and the spirits are waiting f...more
Mary
Oh, I do love Jamie Vegas and her gorgeous alpha werewolf lover, Jeremy. As a spiritualist and entertainer, Jamie's had to hide the true depths of her gift (burning at the stake for witchcraft is no laughing matter, after all). But she gets dragged into a reality TV show and sent to Amityville. Oh, not to *that* haunted house. The one she winds up in is far worse with ghosts that can kill. Thank goodness her hot man is there to help her out (not that the girl can't take care of herself but it's...more
Ayse
Another great novella by Armstrong. she rarely disappoints even in her shorter work. This was a solid piece and well told -- I am a Jamie fan, and I liked all the references to most of the otherworld characters. I am an especial fan of Paige so it was nice to have a mention of her. One laugh out loud moment -- "And I would have gotten away with it too ... if it weren't for you pesky kids" nice shout out there. My only complaint was the reason for the set-up: it could have used more fleshing out....more
Kay
4 1/2 stars

Very cute short story. I haven't read any of the other books in this series, but this one piqued my interest enough to want to start from the beginning. The main characters were written well with the perfect amount of supernatural abilities.
Cheryl
As long as Kelley Armstrong keeps writing novellas and short stories, I'll keep buying them - albeit, not a hardcover, but the digital price is well worth it for a little visit back to the Otherworld universe.

In this case, we sort of revisit No Humans Involved. There isn't the sexual tension between Jaime and Jeremy, since they are a very happy couple, but it's still a fun, if fast read.

My only confusion is where exactly it fits in the Otherworld timeline. Elena is not the alpha, although her c...more
Lorre
This short story has Jaime Vegas as a main charachter.
She unwillingly gets involved into another reailty ghost tv show. Luckily Jeremy is with her to make it more fun.

But the fun with Jeremy will have to wait cause there are ghosts asking for Jaime's help. There is something very strange about this case though, something Jaime's never encountered before...

Amityville Horrible was another great short story from this series.
I usually don't like short stories much because you're always left wanting...more
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Loren A Stevens
Fun!

Fun!

I wish it was longer! but that's because it was a fun read. I love reading more about these characters, even in smaller doses.
Karen
Jaime and Jeremy together again! Jaime is filming a charity event. Jeremy tags along. How many ghosts will Jaime see and help this time?
Alicia Koster
Ah, Jaime and Jeremy, my favourites. Please give me more!
Lesley
Yet another novella in the series, as always enjoyed it
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I love these novellas. Jamie's story was creepy and interesting enough to be an entire novel, which I really wish it was. The only thing I can hope is that another novella staring Jamie is in the future.

Ok my one gripe with this story is that it wrapped up way too quickly. I was loving the creepy shriking ghost from different decades and was waiting for their past to unfold when all of a sudden it was just over.
Darla
great addition to the story
Darcy
Jamie is a character that had grown on me. I like her ditzy ways and her school girl crush on Jeremy, one that seems to affect her even long after they started to date. I found it funny that Jamie was conned into working on a show again, especially as the first time it went so well. I liked that Jamie was skeptical, it helped her keep her head. I loved that Jeremy was right there to help her and figure things out. The ending had me laughing as Jamie turned the tables on the one who set out to hu...more
Diane
I have really grown to love Jamie and Jeremy! This is a cute story that comes out after Frostitten, but just before the events of Waking the witch. The twins are 5 and part of her life. To be a celebrity and a famous artist, but have such an unpretentious life together amazes me. The story is cute, and allows us to see just how much Jamie battles with her own psyche. I could have used a little more complexity and a longer story, to be hones, but thats just because I love these two characters.
Stacy
Jaime and Jeremy are my absolute favorites, so I'm always happy for the smallest snippet...BUT there was just something about the flow here that felt awkward to me. It seems like we went from mystery, mystery, mystery, to BAM! Solved! with no foreshadowing at all to give us even the chance to solve it for ourselves. I recognize that the novella format doesn't allow for a whole lot of extra character development, but it was just too abrupt to be completely satisfying.
Linda Baker
Amityville Horrible is a short, fun novella from the Otherworld by Kelly Armstrong. Necomancer Jamie Vegas has once again allowed herself to become embroiled in a reality show about a haunted house. This time she has full back-up from Jeremy Danvers, the Pack Alpha and her lover. Jeremy is one of my favorite characters and a visit to the Otherworld always welcome. Amityville Horrible has a very creepy atmosphere and is quite suspenseful- well worth reading.
Suzan
Dec 09, 2012 Suzan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I loved this novella, it was good to see that Jeremy has been trying to get Jaime to stop putting herself down so much, makes me love Jeremy even more then I already did! Those two are so great together and Jaime brings out a whole side of Jeremy we don't usually get to see! It had a couple of twists that I wasn't exactly expecting at the end but it was a brilliant ending to the novella! Well worth picking up, espeacially if you're a fan of the series!
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • A Fantasy Medley
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2
  • Originally Human (World of Lupi, #1.5)
  • Caught Forever Between (Hoodoo, #2.5)
  • Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell, #2.5)
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
  • We Both Go Down Together (Incryptid, #0.9)
  • Rusted Veins (Sabina Kane, #5.5)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)
  • The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)
  • Two Lines: A Novella
  • Finding Magic (Downside Ghosts, #0.5)

Today, she continues to spin tales of ghosts and demons and werewolves, while safely locked a...more
More about Kelley Armstrong...
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1) The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)