Start by marking “Sex Lies and Bonsai” as Want to Read:
Sex Lies and Bonsai

Sex Lies and Bonsai

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Have you ever felt the need to start again?

Dumped by text message, Edie flees Sydney for the refuge of her childhood home, taking only a wilting bonsai as a reminder of her failure. But in this small coastal town, shy, awkward Edie has always lived in the shadow of her surf champion father. How can she move on from her ex -- and from her past?

Her best friend and life-coach
Published January 1st 2013 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Sex Lies and Bonsai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex Lies and Bonsai

Kate Loveday

Sex Lies and Bonsai is the story of Edie, who is unceremoniously dumped by a text message. Taking only a bonsai as a memento, she returns to her small home town, where she lives with her father, a surfing champion, and her stepmother. Pining for her lost love, she starts work as a sketcher of crab larvae, working for a sexy professor with hidden depths, and it is through this that she finds she has a talent for erotic writing. Her life-long friend Sally, now a life-coach, offers her questionable
Katie
This is relaxed Aussie chick lit at its most approachable. The surfer vibe and the lack of high heels and designer couture make this my favourite sort of chick lit in fact!
After an awful day I picked this up and somehow walked away from the experience a lighter and happier person, a classic side effect of well rounded characters and strong self-development themes. The writing is solid and there are some sentences (not just ones including the Latin crab names) that are still rolling indulgently
Dimity Powell
Bodaciously funny and bruising in equal measures. Loved it.
The flavours of the Rivers district, the surfing culture and even Japan pulsated with vigor and so much crispness,I could barely leave the pages.The characters were richly portrayed and expertly executed in this tale of soul searching, broken relationships and kismet, but I developed a particular liking for the inanimate Bonsai whose acerbic personality rang true right to its own bitter end. Cleverly written. Uplifting to read.
A huge thank you to Lisa Walker for this Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

The story of Edie who after the break up of her relationship to an unappreciative partner finds herself living with her father and step mother in Sydney. She starts work as a sketcher of crabs and it is through this that she finds an outlet of erotic writing. Throw in a sexy musician who is withdrawn and brooding and you have yourself a highly entertaining story!

I really enjoyed the characters in this book. They were realist
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Sex, Lies and Bonsai is a contemporary romantic comedy by Australian author Lisa Walker. Edie has returned home to the small coastal town of Darling Head after being unceremoniously dumped by her boyfriend of over a year. Besieged by insecurities, Edie wallows in her misery until her best friend insists she makes an effort to change her life. So Edie jettisons poetry for erotica, develops a crush on her boss and falls in love with a troubled musician, and then things get complicated...

Awkward an
Kathy Stewart
I chuckled my way through Lisa Walker’s latest book, Sex, Lies & Bonsai, and I’m sure most people will too. I bought the book after listening to Lisa speak at the 2013 Literati on the Gold Coast. Imagine being the daughter of a world-famous surfer and being too afraid to go into the water, let alone surf. Edie, the star of Lisa’s story, is a pale-skinned redhead in a coastal town filled with bronzed surfers. She is also a poet and graphic designer, but after a love affair ends badly, she rel ...more
Peta Whitney
SEX, Lies and Bonsai is a quirky coastal love story, absolutely perfect for a holiday read. But also one that will make you reflect on the bigger stuff. Life, who we are, what’s it all about, etc.

I really enjoy Walker’s obsession with philosophy. In her debut novel, she had frogs quoting Descartes and in this she has a life coach for a friend, a back-talking bonsai, a boss obsessed with Murakami and quotes headed by Sigmund Freud.

Yep, this book is gonna get you thinking about yourself. In, like,
Carla Caruso
I'm a huge Lisa Walker fan! She has a knack for writing quirky, original stories that are very modern, easy to read - and make you chuckle. Her debut, Liar Bird, is still my fave, but loved this too. Finished it in a few days! Great to see a heroine that was a little bit shy and different, but still very likeable. Loved her crush too.
Juliette Akameshu
Refreshing love story about a 30 something woman, lost in her own world... Sexy , funny and so true sometimes. Best book I've read on a beach so far...
Candy
Sheer perfection. I seriously did not want it to end. Edie, BE MY FRIEND!
Erin Patel
Originally posted on http://coffeetalkwitherin.com/2014/02...

Hello all, I have been struck by my first cold of the year so I happily picked up this lovely book by Lisa Walker called Sex, Lies and Bonsai which was just what the doctor ordered for a day lying on the couch. After finishing The Goldfinch, which honestly gave me a bit of a headache by the end, Sex, Lies and Bonsai allowed me to retreat into holiday mode providing me with a few giggles and loads of smiles.

“…I am not good at shallow or
Bree T
Edie has had to deal with being a disappointment her whole life. The daughter of a famous Australian surfer, a world champion, Edie has never excelled out on the waves. Despite the fact that she hasn’t been in the ocean since she was 12, her father always tries to encourage her to grab a board and hit the surf. He’s sure that one day, she’ll get back out there. Edie isn’t.

Dumped via a text message, Edie has fled Sydney back to her father’s house in Darling Head in northern NSW to heal, taking on
Natalie
Great chick lit for anyone who's ever felt unsure about whether they fit in. Funny, poignant, full of witty observations about life and love. The heroine gets herself in some scrapes that border on farcical. Only down side - the cat.
Chris Tugwell
I found this book engaging, charming and fun. I just wanted her to go surfing at the end!
Karen Whittaker
I wanted to give it 3.5 stars really. Enjoyed it and read it easily in an afternoon.
Vinitha
For some reason, I had great expectations from the book. It started well. I loved the way the character Edie was developed. I am not too sure why the book had to take so many twists. In an effort to make the book interesting, the author just added too much confusion. There was enough sex and lies and not enough bonsai. For some reason I expected more bonsai from the book.

Not my favorite
Anne
By the end of the book I liked the book and the characters. At the start I found the central character very whiny and off-putting. I'm glad I persevered.
Jodi Weightman
I couldn't finish this book....I never not finish a book! I found the main character annoying and frustrating. Very disappointed.
Vicki
Loved the setting for the contemporary Aussie chick lit novel but unfortunately the main character frustrated the hell out of me!
Roxie Gray
This book was just what I needed right now. Highly recommended for anyone with post break up blues.
Bianca Pilla
Would give 3 1/2 stars
Sara Foley
Sara Foley marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Highlyeccentric
Highlyeccentric marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
  • The Sunburnt Country
  • Queen of the Road
  • The Kissing Season
  • Paper Chains
  • Dark Country (Dungirri, #2)
  • The Girl in the Yellow Vest
  • Dear Swoosie (Girlfriend Fiction, #17)
  • Dark Horse
  • The Zigzag Effect
  • Bella's Run
  • Finding Freia Lockhart
  • Unforgettable You
  • Beneath Outback Skies (Outback Dust #1)
Lisa is the author of ‘Liar Bird’,‘Sex, Lies and Bonsai’and‘Arkie’s Pilgrimage to the Next Big Thing'.

Her half-hour radio play Baddest Backpackers aired on ABC Radio National in 2008. She was a finalist in the ABC Regional Short Story Award and winner of the Byron Bay Writers Festival short story award. Her writing has been published in The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald online and the Review of
More about Lisa Walker...
Liar Bird Arkie's Pilgrimage to the Next Big Thing Sugarbaby / Blossom (RAF Volume 2: Issue 5)