Start by marking “Front Page Fatality (A Headlines in High Heels Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Front Page Fatality (A Headlines in High Heels Mystery #1)

Front Page Fatality (A Nichelle Clarke Headlines in Heels Mystery #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  390 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Crime reporter Nichelle Clarke’s days can flip from macabre to comical with a beep of her police scanner. Then an ordinary accident story turns extraordinary when evidence goes missing, a prosecutor vanishes, and a sexy Mafia boss shows up with the headline tip of a lifetime. As Nichelle gets closer to the truth, her story gets more dangerous. Armed with a notebook, a hunc ...more
Published January 29th 2013 by Henery Press

To ask other readers questions about Front Page Fatality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Front Page Fatality

The Whole Enchilada by Diane Mott DavidsonCloche and Dagger by Jenn McKinlayPeach Pies and Alibis by Ellery AdamsA Custom-Fit Crime by Melissa BourbonThe Diva Frosts a Cupcake by Krista Davis
2013 Cozy Mystery New Releases
26th out of 199 books — 189 voters
Front Page Fatality by LynDee WalkerKiller Hair by Ellen ByerrumRaiders of the Lost Corset by Ellen ByerrumDesigner Dirty Laundry by Diane VallereDesigner Knockoff by Ellen Byerrum
Fashionable Mysteries
1st out of 35 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Larissa Reinhart
I loved this mystery staring Nichelle "Nicey" Clarke, shoe collector and ace reporter for a Richmond, VA, newspaper. As Nichelle follows leads, she starts to unravel a potentially huge story involving drugs, the mafia, and the local police department. I loved Nichelle's quick thinking and loved the newsroom setting.

LynDee Walker has written a stellar debut novel. Nichelle's quest for the big story puts her in a lot of danger, but Walker's written a realistic portrayal of an up and coming reporte
Terri Austin
Shoe lover and ace reporter, Nichelle Clarke, has a dream--to work for the Washington Post. Until then, she's doing time at the Richmond Telegraph. When she discovers a drug-related murder that seems like a more like a vigilante killing, Nichelle simply follows the trail.

Suddenly, an ex-baseball player and the sports columnist for the paper, Parker, takes notice of Nichelle. But when he turns up at the river where two law enforcement officers die in a police boat accident, she wonders if his in
Julie
Front Page Fatality is very well written and really pulls you in from page one. It has the perfect combination of humor and colorful turns of phrase to have you laughing, plus a mystery that keeps you guessing. With an interesting and varied cast of characters (any one of whom could be a suspect - I found myself suspicious of almost everyone at some point in the story) and some plot developments that had my jaw dropping, this is a book that I can definitely recommend to everyone. I couldn't put ...more
Maer
LynDee Walker's debut novel, FRONT PAGE FATALITY, is fast-paced, fun and witty. Tightly written, with engaging and believable characters, the story moves through twists and turns that keep you guessing. I particularly enjoyed the heroine, Nichelle, with her sense of style and quirky manner. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series and highly recommend this first one.
Nora-adrienne
Nichelle Clarke is my new super hero... she makes Lois Lane look like a Brownie. I'm definitely putting LynDee Walker on my "watch for this author" list.

Better review in the morning.

FTC Full Disclosure: I received an ARC from the author who only asked for a fair and impartial review.
Gretchen Archer
Lucky me, got an early-bird read, and I loved Front Page Fatality! Nichelle Clarke (love her name) has to nail down her story, scoop her competition, bat off a coworker gunning for her job, keep one eye on the mob, and make sure her investigative piece isn’t the last one she’ll ever write, because she may be up against the worst bad guys ever-- the good guys. But which good guys? This story will keep you guessing. Nichelle is tough, tireless, can walk in Louboutins, and has a huge heart. What I ...more
Susan Boyer
LynDee Walker's new heroine, crime beat reporter Nichelle Clark, doesn't take guff from anyone. She's bright, tenacious, sarcastic, and fearless--which gets her into enough trouble to make for a terrific read. The plotting is fast-paced and kept me turning the pages long after I should have been asleep. The secondary characters were well drawn, and Ms. Walker does a great job of casting suspicion in enough places to keep the reader guessing.

I'm looking forward to Nichelle's next big headline.
Paula  Phillips
Move over Lois Lane and welcome Nichelle Clark, with goals and aims to be the next Washington Post reporter Nichelle Clark had to take a small detour and begin working for a smalltown newspaper writing their Crime Beat section. It seems though that this may very well be her big move and the Headlines that makes her job. What starts out as a normal crime day with a drug dealer shot dead starts to develop into a bigger story when Nichelle remembers that another dealer a few weeks prior was killed ...more
Bookie | The BookChick
My Rating: ★★★★★
EXCELLENT: The characteristics of a 5 star story include: an awesome story; and, I love everything about the story — characters, plot, and story elements. I would definitely read it again and I would highly recommend to a friend and rave about it often.
Book Description:
Marianne
As a newspaper reporter I found this book very entertaining. I do everything – police coverage to political news and feature pieces; my skills have me writing everything for our paper (and I am the only writer that will take on everything).

In some ways, this book made me very jealous. The author’s descriptions of her newsroom and the events that took place, combined with the added competition from other media makes it sound like the kind of newsroom I would want to be working in. For me, it is
Ruth Turner
An enjoyable read. Well written, fast paced with an interesting story line and a great cast of characters.

Thanks, Gabby, for recommending this series.
Ramsey Hootman
Mystery is not my go-to genre, but I got the opportunity to beta-read this book before it went to press and very much enjoyed doing so. Walker's prose is snappy and sharp, which pairs perfectly with her equally snazzy heroine. I like that Nichelle is experienced, determined, career-driven, and still very feminine all at the same time.

Likewise, I enjoyed the two major male figures... whom I will refrain from detailing any further to avoid spoilers. I hate books where the female protag just sort o
Lynn Farris
The tag line on Lyn Dee Walker’s web site,‘mysteries with smart women, sexy men, and a southern drawl’ sums it up neatly. What more could you ask for? ‘Front Page Fatality’, the debut novel from author Lyn Dee Walker, I predict will be the first of many. She has already sold the second book in the series, ‘Buried Leads.”

As the story opens, crime reporter, Nichelle Clarke, Nicey to her friends, is knee deep in dead bodies. As she states,

"A body before I’d even made it to the newsroom was usually
Erin Coe
A fast and fun read by a new author, LynDee Walker. Nicelle Clarke is a strong and driven journalist working the crime pages of the Richmond newspaper when she stumbles (sometimes literally, due to her high-priced heel addiction) into the story of a lifetime. Her insatiable curiosity will either get her killed or promoted and I honestly wasn't sure which it would be until the last few pages. Full of genuine characters, honest dialogue and fancy stilettos - it is the perfect weekend read!
Tina Moss
You have to love a heroine with a penchant for designer shoes--the eBay way! Nichelle is an ace reporter looking to climb her way to the top, but when she investigates a case where the line between the good and bad guys blurs, she'll uncover more danger than losing the latest virtual bid. With an intriguing mystery that keeps you guessing, a heroine that keeps you cheering, and a fast paced plot that keeps your heat racing, Front Page Fatality is a major win!
Debi
What a fantastic debut. I look forward to reading what she puts out next.
Jessica
Clark, dreams of working for The Washington Post, however; she has yet to make an impression on them. Steadily working her beat, she’s never far from her police scanner in hopes of chasing the story that will give her the break she needs. When a drug dealer is found murdered, police are quick to assume it was a vigilante behind it, but nothing about the crime scene makes sense. Nichelle’s given a key piece of evidence and begins some overwhelming research, only to realize that everything is not ...more
Chantelle (aka the Blogmonstar)
Front Page Fatality was a great read. Nichelle is a girl after my own heart – she loves books and shoes, and so do I. (Although I can’t wear as many of the shoes that Nichelle does because I have stupid ankles.) But I digress. She’s a crime reporter for the local Richmond newspaper, and is very good at it too.

The storyline was well written and made for a witty, fun-filled read. The characters were very realistic, even for the short time that we met some of them, and added to the overall enjoymen
James Moody
An excellent book by a talented new writer. Ms Walker's background in journalism is evidenced throughout this first novel which finds the protagonist going to great lengths as well as putting herself in personal danger to get to the bottom of a perplexing news story.

Who can she trust in her quest to discover the truth behind the strange deaths of two police officers in a boating "accident?" Not the other cops, that's for sure and not even the others at the newspaper except for Bob, her editor --
Bryan
The author of this book is my cousin-in-law. On the other hand, I generally think mysteries are stupid and all mystery novelists are hacks who can never do it as well as Arthur Conan Doyle did.

This put me in a bit of a bind. In the interests of family peace, if this book had sucked I would have given it 3 stars anyway and called it a nice debut effort.

Fortunately it did not suck. The plot is lively, the writing is good (LynDee was a crime reporter just like her heroine for years, so we are seein
Lisa Elizabeth
If I hadn't been reading this for a review, I don't think I would have stuck with it. The story starts off choppy and uneven while Walker tries to juggle backstory, character introductions and humour.

It takes about 5 chapters for this book to really make you sit up and take notice. By the time it does, though, it hooks you deep and good. The conspiracies, the plot twists and the stakes build to a satisfying (and surprising!) conclusion.

This really is a hard-boiled thriller in the loose wrapping
Denise
FRONT PAGE FATALITY introduces a determined crime reporter, Nichelle Clarke, who is pursuing her dream to become an investigative reporter by paying her dues at the Richmond Telegraph in Richmond, VA. Smart, dedicated, and competitive, Nichelle works hard to build her byline and keep her stories on the front page. You just have to admire a character who can do all this while wearing designer stilettos. FRONT PAGE FATALITY is a well-crafted mystery filled with fun quirks, unexpected turns, and a ...more
Heather Ashby
What a fun read!

How could I laugh out loud at the black moment of Front Page Fatality? Oh, I know. Because LynDee Walker has such a clever voice that I laughed my way through this entire book, even when I was sitting on the edge of my seat, CERTAIN that the heroine was about to “swim with the fishes.” What more could a reader want? A mystery to be solved, humorous dialogue, sexy banter with a hot Mafia boss, and a pair of stilettos that come in handy in a pinch. Along with plenty of high, dry, a
Denise Zendel
Nichelle Clark is a crime reporter for the Richmond Telegraph. She feverously works her beat, hoping that the Washington Post will see her worth and snap her up for the big time. She’s got a fondness for pre-owned designer shoes and first edition books, a gift for sniffing out complex crime stories, and a cranky copy editor who’s after her beat.

I won this e-book in a drawing with the expectation I give an honest review. I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed this. I found the author’s take on
Vanyse Holmes

As Nichelle gets closer to the truth, her story gets more dangerous. Armed with a notebook, a hunch, and her favorite stilettos, Nichelle races to splash these shady dealings across the front page before this deadline becom
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
Excellent read! Not a light weight cozy, but a very well thought out, edge-of-your-seat cozy mystery. I found the plot itself entertaining and sufficiently complex enough that I was surprised at the ultimate culprits behind the crimes. I loved the introduction of the bad-but-yummy mafia man, I hope that he'll be making future appearances.

Delightful characters and a great plot make this an excellent first book in a new series I'm looking forward to.
Becky Durfee
I loved this book. It was the right combination of "cozy" and "intelligent." It would make a great poolside read but causes you to think at the same time.

The characters were believable and likable, especially the main character Nichelle Clarke. While intelligent and respectable, she wasn't larger-than-life like so many main characters are. She was clearly human, and that was a refreshing change.

I highly recommend this book. It was a pleasure to read!
Judi Niermann
Light reading, fun murder mystery. Lately I've started reading Richmond authors. This was the first novel by LynDee Walker. Last week I attended the book launch for the third in the series and thought I should start from the beginning to get the background stories on the main characters.

A Kindle download and I really couldn't put this story down last night.
I was forced to DVR my favorite shows while I read about Nichelle battling the bad guys.
Nichelle is a reporter for the local paper, dreami
Gigi
The first in a new mystery series featuring reporter Nichelle Clarke, Front Page Fatality had me hooked! A page-turning mystery with a bit of romance. The book is deservedly nominated for an Agatha Award for Best First Mystery, and I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Tanga
LynDee Walker has made it to my must buy list with the start of this smart, sarcastic, fast paced, do everything in heels mystery that kept me guessing until the very end. Can't wait to see what happens to Nichelle next and whatever she gets into, well I hope Joey is there to help her out ;)
FPF Pin It to Win It CONTEST 1 6 Feb 06, 2013 02:10PM
Get Lost in a Story: LynDee Walker and Front Page Fatality 4 5 Jan 29, 2013 02:54PM
  • Portrait of a Dead Guy (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #1)
  • Board Stiff (An Elliott Lisbon Mystery, #1)
  • Double Whammy (Davis Way #1)
  • Heartache Motel (Rose Strickland Mystery, #3.5)
  • Pillow Stalk (Mad for Mod Mystery #1)
  • Cropped to Death (Faith Hunter Scrap This Mystery, #1)
  • Lowcountry Bombshell (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Image (Allison Campbell Mystery #1)
  • Artifact (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #1)
LynDee Walker’s award-winning journalistic work has appeared in newspapers and magazines across the nation. After nearly a decade covering crime, courts, and local politics, she left full-time reporting for motherhood with a side of freelancing and fiction writing.

SMALL TOWN SPIN is the third in her bestselling Headlines in High Heels Mystery series. LynDee’s debut, FRONT PAGE FATALITY, is an amaz
More about LynDee Walker...
Buried Leads (A Headlines in High Heels Mystery #2) Small Town Spin (A Headlines in High Heels Mystery #3) Devil in the Deadline (A Headlines in High Heels Mystery #4) Henery Press Mystery Mashup Box Set Vol 3: Front Page Fatality and Portrait of a Dead Guy Heartache Motel (Rose Strickland Mystery, #3.5)

“That could be a very sexy story.” 7 likes
“But that’s the thing about dead people: they can’t warn you to keep your nose out of things that are going to put your ass in danger.” 5 likes