Start by marking “Home Sweet Horror” as Want to Read:
Home Sweet Horror
Preview

Home Sweet Horror (Scary Tales #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Welcome. Have a seat. Let us tell you a story. But be warned. Home Sweet Horror isn’t just any tale. This is a Scary Tale.

Meet Liam Finn, who’s just moved into a new home with his father and sister. But this old house that seems empty, isn’t . . . Bloody Mary is here. Called back from the dead by a game, she’s just dying to talk.

Published July 9th 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Home Sweet Horror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Sweet Horror

Dion Yulianto
“Mary, Mary, yang suka menentang,
Bagaimana kebunmu tumbuh?
Dengan lonceng perak dan cangkang tiram,
Dan, gadis cantik berseling di baris-baris kebun.”

Liam Finn bersama ayah dan kakak perempuannya pindah dari Hopevile ke kota lain, untuk menempati sebuah rumah tua di puncak bukit. Sudah dua tahun rumah itu tak berpenghuni. Tapi, harganya yang murah serta pekerjaan baru Mr. Liam memaksa mereka untuk menempati rumah itu, mau tak mau. Ibu Liam sudah meninggal beberapa tahun sebelumnya, dan keluarg
Laura Salas
I loved this early chapter book--it's a classic ghost story featuring Bloody Mary. Here are 5 of my favorite things about it:

The art is dark and creepy and spectacular!

Even though this is clearly a plot-centric story, there are emotional elements, too, mostly centering on the grief of the loss of Mom two years before.

There’s nice foreshadowing in furnace problems and such that give leeway for various interpretations/explanations, but…

it’s really a ghost story. There is no easy answer, and the gh
Beth
This is a good introduction to horror for kids. The story is fast and good with just the right amount of creepy. I would have really enjoyed this book as a kid...I still enjoy horror now!
Ann Keller
I love the revealing of the spirit leaving messages for the two children. That was awesome.
Teresa Scherping
Liam Finn and his dad and sister are moving into a new house, a "fixer-upper" as Mr. Finn calls it. Liam is not thrilled to be moving so soon after his mom died, even if his dad does have a better, higher-paying job here. Liam is especially uneasy about the fact that he seems to be the only one who notices the strange things that happen in their new home. Eerie noises prompt him to check out the basement, only to be scared off by an exploding lightbulb, a broken step, and the grasp of a bony han ...more
Amy
"They say there used to be a lady who lived there, long ago," Marco said. He leaned in, spoke softly. "They say she was crazy, 'dama loca' they called her. She wandered these streets, lost as a little girl, howling at the moon. Anyway, one night, she got nailed by a hit-and-run driver - didn't even slow down to see if she was okay. Which she wasn't, on account of she was dead."

"What was her name?" Kelly asked.

"Bloody Mary, that's all I know," Marco said. "On account of all the blood. Ever since,
Gwen
A fast read. Liam Finn just moved into a haunted house and Bloody Mary lives in the walls. Will the Finn family survive the mysterious phone calls, noises in the basement, moving letters on the fridge, and their dog, well just...being gone? I liked the book but if you get scared easily, read this in day light.
Titis Wardhana
kurang serem... :p

Liam dan keluarganya pindah ke rumah baru. Rumah aneh yang seperti punya wajah, dan tiap malam juga ada suara-suara aneh. Sejak ibunya meninggal, Liam dan Kelly, kakaknya, semakin jauh. Sampai ada teman Kelly yang menginap dan menantang Kelly untuk main Bloody Mary.

Terlalu pendek dan banyak misteri yang belum selesai. Di sini gw berasanya kayak ada dua hantu, bloody mary dan si rumah itu. Misteri rumah itu juga sampai akhir gak terpecahkan, maksudnya what's wrong with the house
Dachokie
Kid’s Horror Story with Substance …

This book was reviewed as part of Amazon's Vine program which included a free advance copy of the book.

James Preller’s HOME SWEET HORROR opens the door to a series of scary stories that gives younger kids something to think about when they go to bed at night. Just enough thought-provoking chills to keep them excited when reading, but not too much to drive them into Mom and Dad’s bed every night.

This book centers on a brother and sister (Liam and Kelly), their f
Ashley
I love this book! The reason I requested a copy was that it reminded me of my beloved Goosebumps from childhood. Even though I don't read many books in this age range anymore, I really enjoyed it.

The story is set up quickly and packs a punch. Part of what makes this novel so effective are the beautifully creepy illustrations. I absolutely love the drawings, and it is great that the pages without full-page illustrations have the dark, slightly creepy background shading and little things like spi
Ms. Yingling
Preller, James. Scary Tales: Home Sweet Horror.
Liam and Kelly Finn and their dog Doolian move to a spooky new fixer upper with their dad after their mother’s death. Creepy things happen right away: messages appear in the steam in the bathroom, a handyman warns them the house is evil, voices come through the fans even though they are unplugged, and faces appear in the bathroom mirror. When Kelly and her friends invoke the “bloody Mary” chant, Bloody Mary herself appears and tries to drag Kelly in
Liam, Kelly, and their father move to a new house in upstate New York. When they arrive, Liam hears creepy noises, workers refuse to work on projects, and a neighbor tells a horrific tale about the house. Kelly and her friend decide to try Bloody Mary to find out who is haunting their house and the family receives a few messages from their deceased mother to get out. Finally, their run away dog returns, barking until the family exits the home. The house explodes, burns down, and the freaked out ...more
Amy
Kids will love this scary tale of a haunted house and Bloody Mary! A short, chapter book that will entice all readers. Preller has cleverly woven in a softer side to this ghost story with the characters who are dealing with the loss of their mother.
Lisa
Honestly a terrifying horror story for children. Based on the Bloody Mary urban legend. Good choice for those who like dark, disturbing tales. quick read, first in a series.
Muhammad Rasyid Ridho
3 aja untuk novel horror ini. Ya, karena kurang seram ya. Tapi, mungkin kalau dibaca anak kecil seram juga kali. Ayo silakan dibaca dan rasakan seram atau gak :D
John Garrigan
Age Recommendation: 8+

The scratchboard art in this book is a great addition to an already decent story. Liam has just moved into a new home, but things seem to be strange. Bloody Mary seems to live in the mirror, and his dog runs away. Can he and his family get out alive? It's told in a series of chapters that serve as short stories telling a continuing narrative, which is a unique format choice.
Kristin
This is a good, sort of scary book. Perfect for a middle grade reader. The illustrations compliment the story nicely.
Cypress
yah, singkat sekali, dan amat sangat cocok buat anak-anak... I might have to give up this series though...
Aubrey Cromwell
Pretty spooky, a little cheesy but fun.

I'll be talking more about it in my November wrap-up. :)
Sgivens
I thought this was a really good short story. I was actually creeped out in certain parts of the book. It would be a good ghost story for around Halloween time.
Kristen
Kids loved it. quick easy fun read. my 4 yr.up to my 15 yr.old enjoyed it.
Greeny Onie
teringat masa masa membaca goosebumps dulu..hehe..
Niki (Daydream Reader)
Perfect for middle grade readers who love scary tales.
Nicole
Scary Tales: Home Sweet Horror by James Preller
Feiwel & Friends, 2013
Fantasy
87 pages
Recommended for grades 3-4

I love scary tales, I never tire of the horror genre! This short novel is perfect for grades 3-4, where some readers are wanting some of the edgier tales that are just out of their grasp skills wise. In this scary tale the Finn family moves into a new house only to find that they are not the only inhabitants. Liam and his sister invite the spirit of Bloody Mary into the home, and the
Karen
Ghostly Tales at their best. James Preller does an excellent job of keeping children on the edge of their seats, crying for more. The book is a nice legnth giving children a chance to get into a book without feeling overwhelmed. My students are fighting over this book.
Morgan
Home Sweet Horror is a fun horror novel for a young audience. James Preller does a great job creating a scary story in a small number of pages. I appreciate that the explanation for the house's haunting is minimal, and that the main outcome was not setting a soul free. Home Sweet Horror is meant to give the reader chills, and any child interested in scary stuff is sure to shiver with the book in their hands.
Carol
An easy scary book series for young readers!
Ramarie
A new series, and a satisfying scary book for younger elementary readers. In this one, Liam and his family move into a creepy house. Liam hears lots of strange noises, but when they play a game of Bloody Mary, it's more than noises to fear...a real ghost and not one with any benign intentions! A quick read, good for those wanting scary story and a beginner chapter-book format.
Princess Debz
I’m not one who usually goes for horror stories, but I thought I’d give this one a chance. It turned out to be mildly entertaining, though not particularly scary. I really enjoyed the illustrations, though. They were full of detail and definitely added another layer of creepiness. Worth the read. I’d definitely recommend this to some 3rd grader who looks in need of a scare!
Melissa
Great start to a new series. Creepy, but not scary or gory just for the sake of shock value. Characters are surprisingly fleshed out (no pun intended) for such a short book. Artwork was great, too, dark and very apt. Glad to have another option for my kids who come in and ask for "scary stories."

Thanks to Macmillan USA for the ARC!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • Grave Secrets (Deadtime Stories , #8)
  • Elvis and the Underdogs
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Beyond the Door (Time Out of Time, #1)
  • Rescue on the Oregon Trail (Ranger in Time, #1)
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park
  • Boris and Bella
  • Over My Dead Body (43 Old Cemetery Road, #2)
  • Buddy (Dog Diaries #2)
  • The Secret Path (Spooksville, #1)
  • Space Taxi: Archie Takes Flight
  • The Tapir Scientist: Saving South America's Largest Mammal
  • Barbed Wire Baseball
  • Platypus Police Squad: The Frog Who Croaked
  • The Lion Who Stole My Arm
  • Babushka Baba Yaga
  • The Ink Drinker
James Preller (born 1961) is the children's book author of the Jigsaw Jones Mysteries, which are published by Scholastic Corporation. He grew up in Wantagh, New York and went to college in Oneonta, New York. After graduating from college in 1983, James Preller was employed as a waiter for one year before being hired as a copywriter by Scholastic Corporation, where he was introduced (through their ...more
More about James Preller...

Scary Tales (6 books)
  • I Scream, You Scream!
  • Good Night, Zombie
  • Nightmareland
  • One-Eyed Doll
  • Swamp Monster
Bystander The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1) Before You Go A Pirate's Guide to First Grade The Case of the Christmas Snowman (Jigsaw Jones Mystery, No. 2)