Start by marking “Coyote V. Acme” as Want to Read:
Coyote V. Acme

Coyote V. Acme

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Twenty-two humorous essays on topics ranging from Joseph Stalin's theories of revolutionary stand-up comedy, to a commencement address given by a Satanist college President, to the opening statement of an attorney representing Wile E. Coyote in a product liability suit against the Acme company, supplier of unpredictable rocket sleds and faulty spring-powered shoes.
Published February 9th 2002 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published June 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Coyote V. Acme, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote V. Acme

TK421
Fellow Goodreader, Brian DiMattia, describes COYOTE V. ACME as " brilliant and hilarious...but only for certain senses of humor. It's random, high-brow, and intellectual. It's ironic, but obtusely ironic. It's requires a knowledge of, or at least an appreciation for, both literature and pop-culture and often cross-breeds them to produce bastard children of comedic brilliance."

I cannot agree more with this assessment.

Ian Frazier has taken often overlooked, mundane, or talking points that have be
Trevor Schmoldt
“Coyote v. Acme,” is a short story by Ian Frazier. It started in a courtroom with Wile E. Coyote pleading to the judge about the mishaps and injuries he encountered when using Acme products. He purchased these products from Acme to capture the roadrunner. The first thing he talked about malfunctioning was the Acme Rocket Sled. When he sat on it, it took off at high speed and stretched his whole body out as he tried to hold on. The second contraption that malfunctioned was the Rocket Skates. Afte ...more
Carl Koch
I read "Coyote v. Acme" by Ian Frazier. The story talks about various encounters Wile E. Coyote has had with Acme products and their failures. It goes in depth on the failures of the Acme Rocket Sled, a pair of Acme Rocket skates, a spherical Acme Bomb, and a pair of Acme Spring-Powered Shoes. Each fails for different reasons but they all cause harm to Wile E. Coyote. It also tells how Wile E. Coyote intends to proceed and what he expects of the Acme company if the decision is in his favor.

The m
Trevor Wetzel
I read the essay, “Coyote V. Acme” written by Ian Frazier. This essay is based as a court hearing for Mr. Wile E. Coyote. Mr. Coyote is suing the Acme Company for it’s faulty equipment and for the damage that it has caused him. Mr. Coyote names four different Acme products in his case that have faltered. Each product acted in a manner in which put Mr. Coyote in extreme pain and discomfort. Mr. Coyote suggests to the court that he receives over $38 million for the total damages that endured.

The
Samuel
I read the short story "Coyote v. Acme," by Ian Frazier. This was an interesting short story about Coyote using faulty products to try and catch his prey.

The plot was Coyote suing the Acme company because the products he bought were defective. He bought a rocket sled, rocket skates, spring powered shoes, and an Acme bomb, but they all failed. Coyote sued the Acme company for 38.75 million dollars, and the court awarded him the money.

Coyote is the main character, he is a predator that tries to ca
John Jorgensen

Plot: In this story, Wile Coyote is at a decision of suing the ACME company. In the beginning, it tells of how this came to be and throughout the story, it tells of all the products that have failed to catch the prey.

Characterization: Wile Coyote is a self employed hard worker who can’t catch his prey. ACME company is a company who sells faulty products to Wile Coyote.

Setting: The story takes place in Tempe, Arizona in the present time. In order for there to be a mesa, it has to be in a locati
Corey Schmidt
I read the book “Coyote V. Acme.” It was written by Ian Frazier. It’s all about how Wile E. Coyote is trying to sue the Acme company for selling him defective products that injure him and cause him not to be able to do his job. In the story he brings up four things that defected while he was trying to use them, and at the end he wants to get 38.75 million dollars for all of the damages they caused him. The court ends up awarding him all of the money.

The main character is Wile E. Coyote. He is a
Chuck
Coyote v. Acme is a story written like a courtroom drama. It is about a coyote who continues to get hurt when he uses products from the Acme Company. It makes the coyote out to be a victim of bad products. He thinks the company needs to pay him a huge amount because of their bad products. If you ever watched the Roadrunner cartoons you will be familiar with this story.

The main character in the story is the lawyer for the coyote. He is very good at describing all the injuries to the coyote. The c
Ryan Werner
Though praised as one of the forerunners in American humor writing, Ian Frazier fails to deliver any laughs outside of pity or nostalgia for shoddy, safe witticisms.

In concept, Ian Frazier’s 1997 book Coyote V. Acme (Picador, ISBN: 0312420587) should turn out great: twenty-two essay/short-story hybrids, each satirizing a different topic in American culture from a different point-of-view. However, in execution, Frazier falls between otiose wit and contrived, trying-too-hard absurdity.

The First Es
James Swenson
Frazier's essays are generally delightful. In this collection, the writing is good, but the main pleasure is in the concept of each article. For example, the title piece, "Coyote v. Acme," is a great idea. Now that you get the joke, though, you don't really need to read through the legalese of the plaintiff's opening statement. Likewise "Boswell's Life of Don Johnson," etc.

The best of the bunch is "Line 46a," the new instructions for tax form 1040 inspired by the tagline for the movie "Point of
Emily Togstad
Emily Togstad
English 11-6
Goodreads

“Coyote V. Acme”

“Coyote V. Acme” was written by Ian Frazier. It is an essay written about a court case. The court case is about a Coyote that is suing the Acme Company of $38,750,000. The essay talks about all the products that the Coyote used to capture a certain prey, and why they did not work.

The main character is the coyote. He seems really dumb. If the products don't work the first time, then why would he keep using them? The person speaking is Mr. Harold
William Young

Coyote v. Acme is about Wile E. Coyote suing the Acme company for selling him defective products that always hurt him. It was funny to read how the products would never work when he tried to capture the road runner.Wile E. Coyote would take time to set up the traps perfectly but they are always defective products. Wile E. Coyote is looking for a lot of money by suing Acme.

Wile E. Coyote is really the only character in this writing. He is the one who would use the products that never work so he
Blake

Brian DiMattia
Brilliant and hilarious...but only for certain senses of humor. It's random, high-brow, and intellectual. It's ironic, but obtusely ironic. It's requires a knowledge of, or at least an appreciation for, both literature and pop-culture and often cross-breeds them to produce bastard children of comedic brilliance.

Honestly, one of those books you will either love or hate. You will probably either think it's full of conceptually brilliant ideas or will write them off as being dumb, elitist, or "tryi
Bruce
Jun 01, 2013 Bruce rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lawyers, auditors, and actuaries
(More like 3.5 stars.) Going to the library to find Mark Twain's travel books, I was directed to the humor section. There I came across the three thin volumes that form the basis of this triple review. Generally speaking, it's probably not fair to the authors to compare their respective works, but I'll exercise the prerogative anyway because these are all so similar (and who's gonna stop me). Each of these books weighs in at a squidge over 100 pages, with about 20 short essays that achieve absur ...more
Lydia
It's hard to rate this book because it's humor and I'm dumb at humor. A few of the stories I didn't get at all, a few stories I felt like I was missing some good parts, one I skipped, and a couple were really good. The story with same title as the book is great. It's good enough to induce tears of laughter. Also the one that rewrites a bit of "Wuthering Heights" is good.
Phyllis
What a wild and crazy book! Odd ball humor is an understatement. I especially liked "Line 46a" and "Issues and Non-issues." If cartoonist Edward Gorey were to write an essay on a "contemporary" topic, the essay would be just like the ones in this book. I read the book slowly as I reorganized my linen closet. I wanted to fix the linen closet for the last time so it would be useful and I wouldn't need to come up with a new way of organizing it in three months. This crazy book kept me sane while I ...more
Kelly Ferguson
The essay Boswell's Life of Don Johnson about sums up the intended audience here: the reader has to have the literary reference point of Boswell's Life of Johnson, and be old enough to remember the Miami Vice hoopla phase of America. (Raise your hand if your high school boyfriend ever showed up in a white jacket over a pastel top, no tie.) Which is to say, the audience for Coyote v. Acme is me. I love Ian Frazier. The four stars comes the limitations of publishing a book written for a particular ...more
Sue T
On a New Yorker podcast,I heard Jonathan Franzen read the story "Coyote v. Acme" and thought it was great - very smart and funny. It is a mock legal document describing a suit brought by Wile E. Coyote against the Acme company. Franzen's discussion of Frazier made me interested in trying the collection.
Nuthouse Magazine
We have been anxious to read this story collection for some time because of all the raves it has received. So, perhaps our expectations were just too high. Yet other than the title piece, "Coyote v. Acme" - a legal brief in which Wile E. Coyote of Warner Bros. cartoon fame sues the Acme company for his being burned and maimed by one faulty mail-order product after another - most of this book fell flat for us; and certainly not pratfall flat either. Our recommendation is to borrow this book, if y ...more
John Wood
Don't miss the lawyer's opening statement in Wile E. Coyote lawsuit against the Acme company for its faulty rocket sleds.
Kennyo
Certainly not for everyone but recommended for inquisitive minds with odd senses of humor. Quite distinct from his other work.
Marcie
May 15, 2012 Marcie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marcie by: Stories on Stage
I decided to read this after hearing Allison Watrous read (perform) the title short story at Stories on Stage in April. I decided I needed some short, funny stories and I sure got what I wished for. The first story, "The Last Segment" is both humorous and poignant. I realize this may be dated for some people, but I think it's a stitch.

"From the Bank with Your Money on their Mind" is even more relevant now. And there is an end that is for mature readers only. Love it!

OK, not all the stories are m
MisterFweem
I'll save you a little trouble here. If you're thinking of reading this book, skip to the titular essay, then go on to "In the Plain Air," and "The Novel's Main Character," and you'll have read what's worth reading in "Coyote V. Acme."

I really wanted to like this book. At first, he kind of reminded me of Steve Martin writing in "Cruel Shoes." But as I went on reading, I realized that it was "Cruel Shoes" without the humor.

I'll have to read more of his stuff, and maybe this is a book that would g
Bob Fish
Very bizzare, not worth reading
Shonna Froebel
This collection of humorous essays made me immediately think of my brother as he has the same quirky sense of humour. The book jacket has praise describing the author as "a genius at the tough representation of idiocy, which is everywhere, and flourishing as, perhaps, never before." and I would agree.
From Saturday morning cartoons, to classic television to classic novels, Frazier pulls his material from many sources, remaking it in ways I would never have thought of. An interesting quirky take o
Maggie
humor writing is always a relaxing read ... ian frazier can be quite funny esp. (for example) in his "lamentations of the father" ... in coyote v. acme his chapters are uneven -- "coyote v. acme", "in the plain air", "issues and non-issues", and "stalin's chuckle" were my favorites while the rest were "eh. not that funny" ... still it's worth checking out mr. frazier's writing and i'm glad he keeps at it (writing humor) b/c when he is good, he is very very good.

unevenness can easily, then, be fo
Nikhil Dole
This book is hilarious! It is about Mr. Wild E. Coyote suing ACME (his explosive and other item supplier) for causing him multiple physical and mental injuries. There are also many different stupid, yet funny short stories about other people like the comedian Bob Hope, Comrade Stalin Stand-up comedy, and a suburban short story that is attacked by Germans. This book is jam-packed with comedy, bad golf games, and ACME products that always seem to blow up Mr. Coyote. Find this book at your local li ...more
mike
Cue foggy memories: I seem to recall that this book had a whiz-bang premise and a great start, but that it lost gas as it went on. Think of a Road Runner cartoon that's movie-length... there's only a handful of basic Road Runner gags, and after fifteen minutes, you've pretty much used them up.

I seem to recall that I didn't make it through this book. It would have made a better book if it were shorter.
  • The Benchley Roundup
  • The Most Of S.J.Perelman
  • Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing from The New Yorker (Modern Library Paperbacks)
  • Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!
  • Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World
  • The Stone Book Quartet
  • Social Studies
  • Deliriously Happy: and Other Bad Thoughts
  • Never Trust A Rabbit: Stories With a Twist
  • Tell Me How This Ends: General David Petraeus and the Search for a Way Out of Iraq
  • The Seinfeld Scripts: The First and Second Seasons
  • Self Made Man
Ian Frazier (b.1951) is an American writer and humorist. He is the author of Travels in Siberia, Great Plains, On the Rez, Lamentations of the Father and Coyote V. Acme, among other works, all published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux. He graduated from Harvard University. A frequent contributor to The New Yorker, he lives in Montclair, New Jersey.

More about Ian Frazier...
Travels in Siberia Great Plains On the Rez The Cursing Mommy's Book of Days Gone to New York: Adventures in the City