Start by marking “Letters to my Mother (but really for my father)” as Want to Read:
Letters to my Mother (but really for my father)

Letters to my Mother (but really for my father)

“Dear Mom,"

Are these words any easier to write when Mom is gone? What if there were things you never told her? Things you've left unsaid. Things you've always wanted to know? And after you've poured your heart out to your mom, would you then show the letters to your ...

Kate Kaiser did just that, in this touching, tearing and true story of one woman's open letters to her pa
Published September 5th 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Letters to my Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters to my Mother

Julie
Nov 19, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Oh I loved this little book. Very personal letters exploring feelings for your parents and life and loss, all in the context of a really big family.
Samina Sultana
Feb 25, 2013 Samina Sultana rated it liked it
Words transcend events. After the loss of a loved one things change Kate. She writes a collection of letters to her mother which I think gives her assurance of their relationship as well as helping her cope with her mother's death.
A great story that help you learn after people are gone, it is never too late to tell them what's going on.
Maialen
Mar 03, 2013 Maialen rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, english
It's a quick read.
I really liked it as you can either relate right now or realize that you can find yourself in that situation sooner than you think.

It makes you think back to your relationship with your parents, and realize that if you want to change or do something, now is the right time.
Marie Gentilcore
This was a nice, short book where author Kate Kaiser shared 16 letters she wrote to her mom Barbara who passed away 4 years prior. I lost my mom 7 years ago and I thought it would be comforting to read. In the letters Kate shares memories and comes to understand both her parents and herself more. And, as I read the letters, I feel like I was able to do this a little also as I reflected on memories of my own mom and my still living widowed father. No ones parents are perfect, and I'm no where ...more
Samantha
Dec 28, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Kate writes a series of letters to her mother who passed away four years earlier. They contain everything she wanted to say to her mother but couldn't/didn't get the chance when her mother was alive. They contain everything from stories of her past, to stories of her family, to favorite memories shared. They're open, honest, and an interesting, enjoyable, easy read.

Book received via Goodreads First Read.
Jaishree
Nov 19, 2012 Jaishree rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
It's a very short book that consists of a series of letters that are meant for her mother who has passed. The author goes back to her past and says what was then left unsaid. The story of her family through her eyes.

A good, quick read.

PS. I received as a part of the First Reads initiative on Goodreads.
Amy
Jan 13, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
*This book was won from a First Reads giveaway on goodreads.com*

This is a nice short book of letters that the author wrote to her mother who passed away, but are really for her father too. It helped her work through some things. I really liked this book because it made me think about my parents. If you have lost a parent you might want to check this out.
Greg Davies
Apr 14, 2016 Greg Davies rated it liked it
I started this after my wife had read it. I understand why she liked it and it made her laugh and thoughtful as she worked her way through it. For me however i did not have the same journey, i did not finish it, maybe one day i will.
Marla Butler
Apr 10, 2013 Marla Butler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Definately made me thing of so many simple things in life and also to appreciate those people and activities more. I will be passing this book on for friends and family to read.
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Lorëistin Belphersonerwann
Lorëistin Belphersonerwann rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2012
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2013
Linda Jane
Linda Jane rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Nancy LeBrun
Nancy LeBrun rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2015
Norma Campbell
Norma Campbell rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2013
Tory
Tory rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Kate Kaiser
Oct 11, 2012 Kate Kaiser added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Andrew Zipp
Andrew Zipp is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2012
Mariya Gusev
Mariya Gusev marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2012
Garth
Garth marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2012
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Cindy Gates
Cindy Gates marked it as to-read
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Kathy Stone
Kathy Stone marked it as to-read
Jayson Clark
Jayson Clark marked it as to-read
Norma Santos
Norma Santos marked it as to-read
Eileen Johnson
Eileen Johnson marked it as to-read
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Alaina Maxam
Alaina Maxam marked it as to-read
Paying
Paying marked it as to-read
Rae
Rae marked it as to-read
Kim Coomey
Kim Coomey marked it as to-read
Alet Monteleone
Alet Monteleone marked it as to-read
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Paula Lunney
Paula Lunney marked it as to-read
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Le
Le marked it as to-read
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Amandra
Amandra marked it as to-read
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Chrissy
Chrissy marked it as to-read
Selena
Selena marked it as to-read
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
  • The Mere Weight of Words
  • Peace
  • Sold to the Highest Bidder
  • Sweet Glory
  • The Volunteer Traveler's Handbook
  • Culpa Innata
  • The Little Ant
  • The Perfect Man: The Muscular Life and Times of Eugen Sandow, Victorian Strongman
  • Thoughts of Maria
  • Jack of All Trades
  • Sell Your Books!
  • Feline Lovers
  • The Plectra Conspiracy
Kate Kaiser is currently finishing her third book, Learning to Drink Coffee in China. Kate won Fiction Fix's Issue 9 Editor's Choice Award. She was also nominated for the 2011 Pushcart Prize / 2011 Sundress Publication's Best of the Net Award for Dessert & Sudden Death by Fiction Fix. She has been published in Mr. Beller's Neighborhood 2010, Thin Thread Stories: Mother & Grandmothers (Kiwi ...more
More about Kate Kaiser...

“When nothing becomes the vocal
Then nothing becomes the focal
And nothing’s becoming at all”
5 likes