Start by marking “Nights in White Satin (Laura Principal, #4)” as Want to Read:
Nights in White Satin (Laura Principal, #4)

Nights in White Satin (Laura Principal #4)

At the annual May Ball, a jubilant celebration marking the end of examinations at Cambridge, private investigator Laura Principal is hired to provide security. Then, somewhere between the dancing and the fireworks, a student disappears.

Katie Arkwright wore white, a vision of purity. But when Laura starts probing into the missing woman's life, she finds that Katie concealed
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published February 29th 2000 by Fawcett (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Nights in White Satin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nights in White Satin

Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. SayersMake No Bones by Aaron ElkinsEn busca de Klingsor by Jorge VolpiSomething to Hide by Peter LevineDeath at the President's Lodging by Michael Innes
Mystery Novels about Academia and Academics
13th out of 68 books — 5 voters
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska OrczyThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneThe House of Silk by Anthony HorowitzTipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersThe Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
Fabrics
86th out of 104 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Clare O'Beara
Oct 09, 2014 Clare O'Beara rated it liked it
Shelves: british-crime
A female PI investigates the vanishing of a young woman from a May Ball at Cambridge. The students shown are one-sided, wealthy boorish young men, and I would have liked to see a better representation of the college. The descriptions can be lovely as in punting, picnicking and the lavish ball. I was also puzzled by how many people each wanted to spend time alone in a room called the Echo Room staring at a violent painting - were they taking it in turn? This feels dated now as it was written in ...more
Azuree
Mar 23, 2016 Azuree rated it liked it
The 4th Laura Principal book find her searching for a girl that disappears on the night of the big ball. Fairly good mystery but slow pace. I do love how the series takes its titles from songs, though.
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 07, 2010 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it liked it
Shelves: paperback

I'll write this series off as not my kind of thing. Just as when I read the first book in the series I can't quite put my finger on what I didn't enjoy about it. Nothing's really wrong with it it just doesn't make my pulse race or my fingers scrabble to turn the pages over.

Shirley
Oct 29, 2010 Shirley rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Really enjoyed this book. Author new to me, but being an Anglophile, loved the background location, Cambridge, England. Plot excellent also. Young girl mysteriously disappears after the yearly May Ball, held to commemorate the end of studies at Cambridge University.
Marianne
Aug 30, 2015 Marianne rated it really liked it
Good little read. PD James ish with comment on feminist gains at Cambridge. Or rather not so distant repeal of gross treatment of females
Kay Wells
Aug 21, 2012 Kay Wells rated it it was ok
Shelves: adventure
A lot better read than Every Breath You Take. It has a better storyline to keep you guessing and more twists and turns.
Helen
Jun 10, 2012 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book not just for the mystery but for the vivid look into the world of Cambridge and its student life. A good, complex mystery.
Jill Dean
Jill Dean rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2012
C
C rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Kay
Kay rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2009
Robyn
Robyn rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2013
Donaldaxo
Donaldaxo rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Gayle Alexander
Gayle Alexander rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2014
Toni
Toni rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2009
Hermien
Hermien rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Vena
Vena rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2008
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2012
MBP
MBP rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2007
Imla
Imla rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Karry
Karry rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2012
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Johanne
Johanne rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Lifesart
Lifesart rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Krystl
Krystl rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2010
Michele
Michele rated it it was ok
Sep 13, 2015
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Michelle Spring was raised on Vancouver Island. She worked for many years as an academic in Cambridge where she lives with her husband and their two children. She has written several academic books and five Laura Principal thrillers.
More about Michelle Spring...

Laura Principal (5 books)
  • Every Breath You Take (Laura Principal, #1)
  • Running for Shelter (Laura Principal, #2)
  • Standing in the Shadows (Laura Principal, #3)
  • In the Midnight Hour (Laura Principal, #5)