Start by marking “Rite of Passage: Tales of Backpacking 'Round Europe” as Want to Read:
Rite of Passage: Tales of Backpacking 'Round Europe

Rite of Passage: Tales of Backpacking 'Round Europe

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From the company that kick-started the trend, a funny, touching and mad collection of first-time European backpacking experiences that bring new life to a well-told tale.
Published March 1st 2003 by Lonely Planet

To ask other readers questions about Rite of Passage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rite of Passage

Gina
Awesome idea. Mostly terrible writing.
Mitch
This collection of very short stories all contain events that happened to their various authors while backpacking around Europe.

Sometimes, I've been to the places mentioned. Sometimes, I've had the same thoughts or felt the same feelings.

And sometimes, none of the above.

That's what makes this collection worthwhile reading. You enjoy both the familiar and the unfamiliar. It's a lot like traveling, I suppose.

Reading as a kind of travel adventure...I like that.
JDK1962
Mixed bag, which is probably to be expected. Some stories I totally loved (especially "A Slight Leaning Backwards"), other sailed by without making any impression at all. Also, as a very solitary traveler, I have little sympathy for stories of people who join up with others with very little thought, then realize they're saddled with a jackass. Bad company is not better than no company.
Katie Dreyer
A traveler's dream! I read this book in all of one night, I was so interested in the stories. Full of helpful tips and short stories of other's crazy jaunts around Europe, anyone looking to travel, or has traveled, must read this book. Only problem: makes you wish you were back traveling again!
Katelyn
I love this book!! It's a collection of short stories from people's adventures backing Europe. Made me want to catch the next flight to France.
rachel
Jan 07, 2011 rachel added it
Recommends it for: travellers
i'm still reading it. a collection of short travel stories. some better than others.
Jessie
Sep 28, 2010 Jessie added it
Shelves: travel
Purely raw writing. But hey, they are travelers,not writers after all!
Gibgaluk
Oct 02, 2007 Gibgaluk rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Travellers
Great book, especially if you have experienced a backpack trip before!
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Alison Ferrell
Alison Ferrell marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Jun 21, 2014
Daniel
Daniel is currently reading it
May 04, 2014
Kateyanna
Kateyanna marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Parul
Parul marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Jason Sherman
Jason Sherman marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Taryn
Taryn marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
William Sutton
William Sutton marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Lisa Wright
Lisa Wright marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Yang Chu
Yang Chu marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
More about Lisa Johnson...
House Cleaning Secrets - Discover How To Organize Your Home, Declutter And Keep Your House Clean in 7 Days (Cleaning, Cleaning House, Cleaning and Organizing, Organizing, Declutter) Don't Think Pink: What Really Makes Women Buy-And How to Increase Your Share of This Crucial Market Mind Your X's and Y's: Satisfying the 10 Cravings of a New Generation of Consumers Cleaning and Home Organization The Ultimate Detox Teas - How To Cleanse Your Body And Feel Great (drink, diet, revitalise, health, weight loss, energy, organic, younger,)