Start by marking “Howl For It (Includes: Pride, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Howl For It (Includes: Pride, #0.5)

Howl For It (Pride 0.5)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  3,490 ratings  ·  282 reviews
They hunger for your pleasure. They growl for your touch. And in these sizzling stories by New York Times bestselling author Shelly Laurenston and Cynthia Eden, these sexy wolf shapeshifters are lust at first bite. . .

"Like A Wolf With A Bone" by Shelly Laurenston
Quiet little Darla Lewis couldn't be happier when the most-feared member of the South's rowdiest pack kidnaps h
Published August 1st 2012 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Howl For It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Howl For It

Melanie
'Like a Wolf With a Bone' by Shelly Laurenston
4 stars

Laurenston often uses the novella format to give us back stories of characters in her series from previous generations. In this one we get the story of hillbillie she-wolf killing machine Dee-Ann's parents - Eggie and Darla.

More wolf than man, we know from 'Big Bad Beast' that Eggie Ray Smith's favorite saying is "time to start the killin'" - and he often invokes it when forced to spend time with his crazy kin. So how then did a lethal militar
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
BR with Aly is so frigging bored.

Just Shelly Laurenston's story.

******Like A Wolf With A Bone: 5 Stars******

I'd totally forgotten what this story was about. It was like reading it for the first time and it was awesome!

I admit that whenever I read books about my favorite characters parents I feel kind of awkward. It's like catching your parents "kissing". (I'm a weird person, don't judge.)

But I'm a serious fangirl were Eggie is concerned. I love his brooding, glaring personality. It was nice seei
Shannon C.
4 stars: "Like A Wolf With A Bone" by Shelly Laurenston
Loved Eggie Ray Smith's story. It was sweet while also really funny. A departure from the other books in the series, this story is set back in the 1970s when Eggie was first getting together with Darla Mae. I also enjoyed the glimpses of Sissy Mae's parents and the other aunts and uncles--who we know from the earlier books in the series. Eggie has such an infamous reputation in the earlier books--crazy, tough killer--it was really neat to fi
Teduncho
Shelly Laurenston - Wolf With a Bone
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I think I'm just going to write one review for every single book in this series. It will work because it's essentially the same book written nine different ways.

When I read the prequel to this series, Howl For It, I thought to myself, Well, this could be interesting. I really liked reading about Darla and Eggie. The backwoods redneck theme made me a bit leery, but Laurenston wrote the characters with such unapologetic frankness that I found myself liking even the loudest, brashest southerners i
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
3.5 - 4 HOWLING STARS

Like A Wolf With A Bone ~ If you want to know the back history of the Smith pack, then this is your story. How the Smith boys began their relationships and mated with the Lewis girls, specifically Egbert "Eggie" Ray Smith and Darla Mae Lewis. They will end up being the parents to Dee-Ann Smith from Big Bad Beast, Pride #6 . It was hilarious and sweet. One of my favorite parts of the book when Darla was asked if she was a polygamist instead of a pacifist.

Wed Or Dead ~ Th
Laura the Highland Hussy
review posted at Demon Lover's Books & More

Like a Wolf with a Bone by Shelly Laurenston- 4 flames

This was Eggie and Darla Mae’s story and I loved it. I’m not sure what I expected from Eggie, but I really enjoyed it. This story was a bit sweeter than Laurenston’s usual Pride books (no complaints here!) and her trademark sense of humor was present throughout.

Eggie accidentally kidnaps Darla Mae after saving her from humans trying to kill her. She’s a bit of a free spirit, or well, a hippie (he
Stephanie Collins
And to get another thing out of my system...

EEEEEEEGGGGGGGGGIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Ok now I feel better.... huge breath...

This is yet another entry in the pairing of short stories/novellas from Shelly Laurenston and Cynthia Eden. I have to be honest I get these for the Laurenston stories but I am happy to say that due to these I did discover Cynthia Eden and have enjoyed other works by her outside of these.

Like a Wolf with a Bone - Shelly Laurenston - 5 stars:

Laurenston takes us back in the
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read: 27th November
Only for Shelly Laurenston's novella.
Buddy read with Maru

2ND read: 25th- March
Buddy read with Jo
Sandra
Just read Shelly's Like a Wolf With a Bone may come back and read Cynthia's story later.

This is the story of Dee-Ann Smith's parents, Eggie Ray Smith & Darla Mae Lewis. We've seen a bit of Eggie over previous books and he is still the scariest Smith wolf ever born. He is a stone cold killer, even if it is for the military.

Even his family, except his mother, is afraid of him. Until Darla. Darla is about to be attacked by humans in a shifter community when Eggie takes a hand, and a throat and
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Like A Wolf With A Bone
By Shelly Laurenston
158 pages
Series: Pride, book # 0.5
5 Stars
3 Flames

This is my first book in the Pride world. It certainly will not be the last. Like a Wolf with a Bone introduces readers to who I am going to assume are the parents of the heroes and heroines of the future books in the series. Making a rough guess I think this story actually takes place in the late 70’s. I’m in love with this world. I can relate to Tennessee hillbillies. I live amongst them. I love this q
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads

Like a Wolf With a Bone by Shelly Laurenston:

This is the story of how Dee-Ann Smith’s parents, Eggie and Darla Mae, met. Eggie is a killer. Stone-cold, he does the jobs that no one else will, he does it well, and he doesn’t think twice. Darla is a pacifist. Great combo! Everyone is trying to protect Darla from Eggie, but when she unknowingly witnesses a murder, humans are after her and Eggie wants to be the one who protects her.

As with any Shifters series
Jenn
3.5 Stars
This is the back story of how Eggie Ray and Darla Mae meet. We see how messed up their families are, even to the extent that one person puts Darla Mae in harms way.

What I liked about this book
1. Eggie- he was prefect for Darla. I loved how he could be sweet and protective.
2. Darla - she was perfect for Eggie and a great herione
3. The relationship that built up between Darla and Eggie (even if it was super fast)
4. The epilogue cracked me up
5. The bit of humor in the book
6. PIE

Eggie is
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

Finally an anthology you will want to sink your teeth into! I had a great time reading this book, even though it's two short stories. It was fast, had me laughing and was also sexy. Great reading!

Like a Wolf with a Bone by Shelly Laurenston - 4.5 Stars

It's no secret that Shelly Laurenston has been my go to author for fun and sexy for the past 3 years, since I discovered her books. Her Pride series is one of my favorite shifter series still to date and I
=^☺^=mskitty
2 of my favorite authors...great reads!
Howl for It is Miss Darla and Eggie's story. Up til now we've known Miss Darla as a sweetheart who is excepting of everyone and kind of a mother hen. Eggie is a homicidal maniac who only cares for miss Darla and Dee Ann. I really loved seeing the softer side of Eggie as he trys to fight falling in love with Darla, and seeing the adventuring side of Darla. The novel has everything I've come to expect from SL, fighting, baking, and lovin. Although I felt like
Jenn
I cant wait for Eggie and Darlas story. Just read the little bit from Shelly's newsletter. So far its hilarious! Gosh why cant she write faster!
Jennifer Crump
If you like to read about wolf shifters then this is a book for your. Two separate stories involving wolf shifters and their potential mates. The first story “Like A Wolf With A Bone” has everything you want in a short story, a hot male wolf protecting the unsuspecting female, action and adventure for the main characters. Darla isn’t your average damsel in distress though. She is strong, fearless and very protective when it comes to those she cares about. The two families in this story are hilar ...more
Heather  * suffering broken screen syndrome*
2 shifter stories that didn't dissapoint.
Overall I enjoyed the first story more but the second wasn't bad either. Was a good combo of sweet drama with siblings and romance with the first one then you jump into an action packed story.

I think I found two more authors to read so was a good pic for me. Shelly Laurenston sets up and wrote a wonderful story and I loved how the characters and story flowed. Cynthia Eden was down with the action and her characters were intresting too.
Melindeeloo
3.5 stars - I am going through a reviewing slump (and am itching to get to the next book:) so just a few thoughts and they aren't proof read very well either - sorry.

I liked Laurenston's story the best of the two here, though for a stone cold killer like Eggie Smith (who we've seen in the background in other books) his mating/romance was almost sweet. I actually really liked this story all the way up to the epilog when the story jumps to the future and Eggie's daughter is bringing home the enemy
Khristine Stain
How I loved this half-ology! Let me count the ways: Egbert Ray Smith is one of my favorite Wolf shifters, who just so happens to be very good at killin' . Darla Mae Lewis is a pacifist. That was pure genius. I love how Shelly Laurenston brings in previous characters like Sara's parents and Blaynie's father, Ezra Thorpe. And her novels are always hilarious. This one did not disappoint.

Gage Riley is a kick ass Alpha wolf shifter who knows what he wants and does the best he can in protecting his pe
Lara
I loved getting to see the parents of the Smith clan as troublesome youths in the 70s. Eggie Ray and Darla Mae's story was fun and a true case of opposites attract. Darla Mae just keeps surprising and Eggie just keeps on being his scary self. Like a Wolf with a Bone was a great addition to Laurenston's series.

Wed or Dead was my first real Cynthia Eden story. I found that it was easy to read, but that the main characters were a bit flat for me. The explanations for some of the plot just weren't t
Ctanner
4 1/2 stars I only read "Like a Wolf with a Bone" by Laurenston. I loved this short story. I took off a half a star because I wished this had been a full-length book. The story takes place in the 70s and is about Darla Mae and Eggie Smith. They are Dee-Ann's parents. Eggie was so sweet. I think is one of the Pride's sweetest heroes. I also felt like this story had a lot more heart than the past few Pride books, which have lacked in that department. There is still the classic Laurenston humor, ...more
Sillylittlefishey
I thought this was a decent shifter read,but much preferred Cynthia Eden's story, Wed of Dead!
May Mostly Romance
เล่มนี้ได้รับการลัดคิวอย่างด่วนเพื่อมาอ่านเลยค่ะ หลังจากได้ตัวเล่มจากร้านหนังสือแล้ว ก็เริ่มต้นอ่านทันที เพราะเป็นเรื่องราวของคาแร็คเตอร์ที่น่าสนใจมาก ๆ โดยเฉพาะสำหรับคนที่อ่านเรื่อง Big Bad Beast เรื่องนี้เป็นเรื่องของพ่อแม่ของนางเอกในเล่มนั้นค่ะ ซึ่งคนที่อ่านไปแล้วก็จะรู้ถึงความ "พิเศษ" ของผู้เป็นพ่อดีนะคะ นั่นเป็นเหตุผลที่ทำให้เราอยากอ่านเรื่องราวความรักของคู่พ่อแม่ อยากเห็นว่าพวกเขาจะ "จีบ" กันยังไง

อย่างไรก็ตามเล่มนี้เป็นหนังสือรวมเรื่องสั้นค่ะ นอกจากเรื่องของเชลลี ลอว์เรนสตันซึ่งถือว่าเป็นเ
Linda
Jul 27, 2014 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone over 18 that love Paranormal romance.
Shelves: ebooks, july-2014
I reread it again because of Shelly Laurenston's story "Like A Wolf With A Bone" but I reread Cynthia Eden's story too. Both a great read. I read both of them back in 2012 when the book came out.

But since I'm on a Shelly Laurenston kick, I'm also reading the short stories that are part of the "Pride" series. Just as good now now as it was back in 2012 when it came!

Here is the write-up from Amazon:
OpenBookSociety.com

Brought to you By OBS reviewer Heidi

howl-for-it-pride-shelly-laurenston-cynthia-edenShelly Laurenston and Cynthia Eden have teamed up with their shapeshifting stories to bring us this fun book. I’ve broken down my thoughts on the two stories below.

Like a Wolf with a Bone
Pride, Book #0.5
By Shelly Laurenston
Author’s Website: http://shellylaurenston.com/
Egbert ‘Eggie’ Ray Smith is on a forced leave from the Marines, much to his dismay. He is the most reviled
Kathy Martin
These two novellas were good illustrations of each author's style.

In "Like a Wolf with a Bone" by Shelly Laurenston we have a humorous paranormal. Eggie Smith is the most feared wolf shifter in his very fearsome family. And he likes it that way. He likes being able to frighten humans and other shifters with just a glance. Darla Lewis isn't the least bit intimidated. She took one close glance into his eyes and knew all about him. Eggie rescues her from humans who want to kill her because she can
Lily
i read it for Eggie and i can safely say i absolutely freaking love Eggie & Darla.

“You didn’t do anything. But I won’t let anyone talk to you like that.. I don’t care who they are.”
“You ready to fight the whole town then, darlin’?”
She pursed her lips and said without even a bit of hesitation, “If I have to.”

description

The sweetest girl for the toughtest guy ..

Finally, she let out a long breath, her body relaxing back into the seat. Her hands dropping to her lap.
“Okay,” she said.
“Okay?”
“Uh-huh.”
Slowly,
Crystallena
I will admit to only reading the Wolf with a Bone story. I bought the anthology only for that story; I have no interest in either of the other authors.

I love Shelly Laurenston. I love Dee-Ann, even if she doesn't love my all time favorite, Blayne. Reading about her parents Eggie and Darla was just icing on an otherwise delicious cake for me! I freaking love this series!
Betsy
Like a Wolf with a Bone explains the mysteries behind Eggie Ray and Deanne. Interestingly enough, the story really anchors on Darla, Eggie's mate and Deanne's mama. It was fantastic. Sweet, insightful, funny, outrageous and so very warm. I love this series and now want to reread the whole darn thing.
  • How to Drive a Dragon Crazy (Dragon Kin, #6)
  • Sun, Sand, Sex (The Long Island Coven, #1)
  • Croc And The Fox (Furry United Coalition, #3)
  • Wild Invitation (Psy-Changeling, #0.5, 3.5, 9.5, 10.5)
  • Hard Mated (Shifters Unbound, #3.5)
  • Cynful (Halle Shifters, #2)
  • Drive Me Wild (The Others, #7)
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)
  • Beneath the Skin (de La Vega Cats, #3)
  • Silver Mine (Takhini Wolves, #2)
  • Master of Darkness (Mageverse, #9)
  • True Colors (Elder Races, #3.5)
  • Supernatural (Lords of Deliverance, #1.5; Demonica, #6.5; Guardians of Eternity, #7.5; Nightwalkers, #1.5; Dragon Kin, #0.4)
Originally from Long Island, New York, Shelly Laurenston has resigned herself to West Coast living which involves healthy food, mostly sunny days, and lots of guys not wearing shirts when they really should be. Shelly Laurenston is also The New York Times Bestselling author G.A. Aiken, creator of the Dragon Kin series. For more info on G.A.'s dangerously and arrogantly sexy dragons, check out her ...more
More about Shelly Laurenston...
The Mane Event (Pride, #1) Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack, #1) Go Fetch! (Magnus Pack, #2) Beast Behaving Badly (Pride, #5) Here Kitty, Kitty! (Magnus Pack, #3)

“You ready to fight the whole town then, darlin’?”
She pursed her lips and said without even a bit of hesitation, “If I have to.”
0 likes