Start by marking “Relic” as Want to Read:
Relic

Relic

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  498 ratings  ·  105 reviews
After a raging fire consumes her town and kills her parents, Maggie Davis is on her own to protect her younger sister and survive best she can in the Colorado town of Burning Mesa. In Maggie’s world, the bones of long-extinct magical creatures such as dragons and sirens are mined and traded for their residual magical elements, and harnessing these relics’ powers allows the ...more
Published August 27th 2013 by Entangled Teen

To ask other readers questions about Relic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relic

These Broken Stars by Amie KaufmanThe Grave Winner by Lindsey R. LoucksSplintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanPivot Point by Kasie West
2013 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade)
76th out of 327 books — 1,247 voters
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman's Daughter by Megan ShepherdThe Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell
YA Debuts 2013
117th out of 531 books — 2,471 voters

More lists with this book...

Vivien
Maggie Davis is all on her own after a raging fire decimated her town and killed her parents. Now she must protect and younger sister and persevere in the Colorado town of Burning Mesa. In her world, long-extinct magical creatures such as dragons and sirens exist. Their bones are mined and traded for their residual magical elements. Harnessing these relic's powers will allow the user to wield fire, turn invisible, or to even heal the worst of injuries.

Maggie befriends the spirited showgirl Adel
Sara Raasch
Breathtakingly original and absolutely gripping! Renee creates a gritty, magical Western world that will make you want to start digging in your backyard for relics. I cannot rave enough about this book -- the characters, the setting, the plot, the magic, the romance. OH THE ROMANCE. The entire story is a flame of magic in and of itself!
J.R. Johansson
Relic is a true favorite of mine. The description and worldbuiliding are breathtaking. I love the concept of the magic remaining in relics of extinct magical creatures. The wild west feel comes through with vivid clarity and I adore the characters. Maggie is loyal, smart and fantastic. Love, love, love!
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Fast paced western with a unique paranormal twist. Amazing characters, interesting setting, and a fascinating plot makes this a must read for all YA fans.

Opening Sentence: We were home alone the night that Haydenville burned.

The Review:

Maggie Davis is 16 years old and lives in a small town in Colorado, with her family. Then one night a terrible fire burns her home and kills everyone but her and her little sister. She travels to the town of
Jessica
After Maggie’s parents and brother are killed in a fire, she finds work at a scandalous saloon – but she’s soon whisked away by a rich relic baron. Can she trust him? And who's responsible for setting fires like the ones that killed her family? Honestly, I’d been dying to read RELIC since I read the deal announcement, and it didn’t disappoint. It’s peopled with Old West prototypes – spunky orphan girl, handsome cowboy, whore with a heart of gold, cruel brothel owner – who come alive on the page. ...more
J.A. Belfield
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this title from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This has in no way affected my opinion of the book.
So, I did my regular old milarky of accepting a review book without even reading the blurb again. However, there is nothing quite like the feeling when you know you’ve opened the pages into a land of something pretty special. Because Relic just seemed so fresh to me. It’s unique to other books I’ve read lately. It’s original. And the characters? Man,
Cathy
I loved this story. It isn't often you find a western were old magic influences what goes on in the lives of the people. Plus it's a true page turner. There's hardly a dull moment. The scenes flow together well with characters that you find your self rooting for. Well done Ms. Collins. I wish she'd written another.
Vincent Trigili
Relic is a first person account of the early life of Maggie Davis, a sixteen-year-old girl, and her baby sister Ella, who live in a world very loosely based on the old west of America. Maggie and Ella have a rough start in the book as the first chapter introduces us to them through the death of their family and destruction of their hometown. The story follows the girls as they find a way to survive in the harsh world of that day and get wrapped up in a web of magic, deception and intrigue.

Maggie
Kelsey
Relic is a fantastic debut about cowboys, magic, and the lengths to which people go for family.

Maggie flees from the fire that razes her hometown and kills her family. She takes a job in a saloon to try to support herself and her little sister Ella. All she wants is to survive, but when her friend Yahn, an Apache, is falsely accused of causing the fire, she has to investigate. She stumbles into a world where wealth can buy everything: endless food and beautiful parties, magical relics (the bones
Cait Grace
Cowboys and magic – what more could you want?!

Honestly, I haven’t read anything like this book. It has aspects of the good old favourites – American western, cowboys, magic, dinosaur bones, adorable little sisters, and several guys falling for one sixteen year old. Mash it all together and you get RELIC. Funky and sparky with an ending to KILL YOU. Let’s just say: bookish hangover.

First things first: the combination of Old Western and magic. Brilliance. I’m not a fan of historical fiction, so I
Jessica (Taking It One Book at a Time)
Unique, and breath taking!

I'm not going to lie, this is nothing like what I was expecting, which is a good thing. As my first line states unique, that word fits this book like a glove. Blending a genuine old west setting with a magical element that keeps every character on their toes, really kept me into this book until the absolute end.

Maggie, to me, was a great heroine. Attempting to find balance after such a life shattering event is hard, but she does what is necessary while maintaining mor
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
RELIC is unlike any fantasy novel I've read before. For one thing, it takes place in the Wild West. I've never read any fantasy novel from this time period before. The use of relics composed of the bones of extinct fantastic beasts is also innovative and new, at least to me. The book is just the right length, too. I prefer my fantasy novels longer, because I lose something when they're too short. Characters, setting, world-building...something is always underdeveloped. RELIC clocks in at 400 pag ...more
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
‘Relic’ is a book that is magical, exciting, and unique. It completely stands on its own, not reminding me of anything I've read before. ‘Relic’ is a Western style fantasy, an alternate history that contains magical relics, which are the bones of long dead magical creatures. There’s the cowboys and saloons you would expect in a Western, but there’s also magic and magical predators.

The book is also a mystery, with Maggie trying to figure out who is burning towns and why. Maggie’s parents and her
Jessica (Lovin' Los Libros)
Relic has been on my radar for quite some time now! I first discovered it while I was working on a Waiting on Wednesday post and decided to scroll through the GR list for upcoming debuts of 2013. I stumbled upon Relic, read the synopsis and was instantly hooked. A story set in the West of course would have your cowboys, native Indians, and rich settlers. But to add relic magic in there? Freaking awesome!

I really enjoyed Relic. From the very first page I was engaged and immediately drawn into the
Heather
With a setting of the Old West, Relic already starts out unique. Add in the bones of mythical beings--unicorns, people--, Native Americans, magic, and a mystery well you have truly unusual book recipe, but one that works. At least it did for me.

When mysterious fires destroy her home, Maggie and her sister are left to fend for themselves. Maggie is able to find work as a maid of sorts in a saloon/brothel. But there is something special about Maggie. She has a strange affinity with the relics (bon
Jeannie Zelos
Relic Renee Collins.

ARC provided by publisher.

Wow – what a book!! It totally blew me away. I wasn't sure what to expect, I knew the book was in the paranormal genre, and thought I recalled in being classed as romance too. I hoped so because I do love a good romantic angle in my reading.
It begins with Maggi,e at home in what seems to be a small shack, with her brother and young sister. There's a smell of burning and they realise that they have to run to safety before their home is burned, and
Zandalee
~~Relic will be released by Entangled Teen on August 27~~

I love just about everything that Entangled Teen brings out, which is why despite my lack of interest in cowboy/wild west themed novels, I chose to read Relic.
Within the first couple of pages, the story of Maggie Davis, drew me in. Right from the start, I saw the strength of this young girl and how determined she was to take care of her family.

Once I began the first sentence, I was glued to my iPad. I just couldn't bring myself to take a b
Rosemary K
Relic is a very powerful story. Maggie and her sister, Ella, are the only ones to escape the burning of Haydenville. Maggie is a survivor. She will protect and care for her little sister, but her powerful connection to the ancient Relics becomes the driving force in her life. When the most powerful man in the county, Alvar Castilla, offers her his protection, Maggie takes his help. She knows there are strings attached. Will she be willing to pay the price? What is his true intention? Maggie is a ...more
Jessica  (Jessabella Reads)
Oh my goodness, where do I start? Well, I was truly and utterly captivated by RELIC. This book truly had it all. A smart and fierce heroine, a sexy cowboy, a mysterious Apache boy, magic, mystery, and intrigue! All thrown into in a brilliantly imagined world, set in an alternate Wild West where anything can happen, and magic comes from the bones of some of our favorote paranormal creatures!
The book takes off with a tension filled scene. Our heroine Maggie Davis's entire town, including her paren
Christianna Marks
You can read this and many other reviews on my YA book blog The White Unicorn!

What can I say? I thoroughly adore this book! Is it odd to adore a book with so much death and magic and craziness going on? Well, if it is, I don't care, I still adore this book! Relic is the perfect book that shows when the right person puts weird elements together and mixes them up in a blender, it can turn into something magical. And yes, for your information that was a pun and it was totally intended. (the magical
Jennifer Weiser
Get ready to dive into one of the most intriguing and tantalizing reads of the summer! There is nothing RELIC can't offer you if you like a good ol' twist of magic, charming and sexy cowboys, a young and gorgeous Indian warrior with a flair for saving a damsel in distress, a sleazy boss who makes your skin crawl, a young wealthy gentlemen ready to make you an offer you can't refuse, a witty best friend with all the right moves, and the sizzling heat of the old Wild West.

Every page reveals a new
Faith
Relic is a fantastic, fun read from a talented new author, Renee Collins. The plot is fast-paced from the first page, and there wasn't a moment that dragged. For the most part the characters are vivid and realistically written, and the dialogue was western-flavored without being overwhelming. In fact, it was a serious contender for my best-of-2013 shelf.

One of the strongest aspects of Relic was the setting. The Western spin is an angle that's not too common in fantasy, and it provided a rich bac
Samantha
*I received an ARC ebook copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Maggie Davis led a fairly normal life until the fire. At 16, she had a younger brother and sister and parents who loved them all. She passed time by reading about relics, the pieces of long-ago magical creatures that everyone wanted. Some were common ones, ones to help with water needs in case of a drought. But others were so powerful they could manipulate minds. Maggie dreamed of one day working with these relics when t
Meagan
I received this as an ARC

When I first started this book I wasn’t sure what to expect and I’m not going to lie it took me a little bit to figure everything out. Have you ever watched a T.V. show where it takes like 8 or 9 episodes of the 12 episode show to figure out what the heck is going on? And you are just so intrigued that you have to continue to find out and understand. Well this book was like that for me, but in a good way.

The book takes please out in the 1700-1800ish Wild West era. Maggie
Alexa
Relic is a historical fantasy western - definitely not your average book genre, yet somehow it works, really well. I had heard about the book and was intrigued but wasn't too sold on the setting. After reading Relic, I'm eating my thoughts on that completely.

This book works wonderfully. The fantasy-western setting is truly breathtaking and is a great backdrop for the characters that Collins has created.

There are great scenes in this book that really move the story along and keep the reader eng
Alycia
Woot! RELIC has been nominated for the RT Reviewers' Choice Award in Young Adult Urban Fantasy/Paranormal!!

YAY!! It's here!!!! True Grit meets The Prestige. A seriously amazing Wild West historical fantasy. Plus, a very sexy cowboy.

Renee has a big pre-order contest going on. Lots of prizes, including a chance to win a gorgeous illustrated page from Maggie's relic almanac. Dragons, Mermaids, oh my! http://midnightmeditations.blogspot.c...

And like the fb page to get updates and exclusive Relic ne
Kirsti
I have never read a book like this one. Honestly, cowboys? The very sight of the word ends me running. But the cover is so pretty. Jessica Spotswood's recommendation sounds promising. Plus, it was $10. I kind of spent $260 in a bookstore the other day. My partner bought $230 worth of second hand car manuals from the same place. Yeah that was one happy bookstore owner! So $10 wasn't much in the grand scheme of things. Just a note, if you leave a bookstore carrying a box instead of a bag, then you ...more
Whitney Atkinson
EDIT: Video review here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ9pc0...

I NEED THE NEXT ONE!!!
Coherent review coming soon

Edit: VIDEO REVIEW IS CURRENTLY UPLOADING (finally) :D
Melissa
I absolutely loved this book, I loved the setting and the magic mixed in it. I hope there will be a second and a third...
Sara Larson
LOVE love LOOOOVE this book. Add it to your TBR pile asap!
  • Prophecy Girl (Angel Academy, #1)
  • Chaos (Kardia Chronicles, #1)
  • Salt (Salt, #1)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • The Oathbreaker's Shadow (The Knots Sequence, #1)
  • Maid of Secrets (Maids of Honor, #1)
  • Olivia Twisted
  • One (One Universe, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Descendant (Descendant #1)
  • Arrow of the Mist (Arrow of the Mist, #1)
  • Tides
  • Vengeance Bound
  • Scorched (Scorched, #1)
  • Flight (Flight #1)
  • Sorrow's Knot
  • Ink Is Thicker Than Water
  • Red
I'm a YA writer who loves historical settings, magic, and semi-tragic romance. I'm represented by the amazing Mollie Glick of Foundry Literary + Media.
More about Renee Collins...
Until We Meet Again

“Choking back emotion, I turned my eyes to the ground. "I don't want to say good-bye."
"Then don't."

If only it could be true. I blinked hard, but two tears escaped, anyway. I kept my face down so he wouldn't see. "Then what do we say, Yahn?"

He set his hand beneath my chin and gently turned my face forward. His eyes were warm and sad and beautiful.

"We say egogahan," he whispered, wiping the tears from my cheeks. "In our tongue , it means, 'until we meet again.'"

I know I shouldn't, but the words tumbled out in a trembling murmur. "And will we?"

A small smile brightened his face. "Perhaps, Maggie Davis. Perhaps.”
3 likes