Start by marking “Color of Grace (Cost of Repairs, #2)” as Want to Read:
Color of Grace (Cost of Repairs, #2)

Color of Grace (Cost of Repairs #2)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,047 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
Looking to the future begins with forgiving the past.

Cost of Repairs, Book 2

Barrett McCall once lived like there was no tomorrow. Now the reformed party animal savors each day as a gift. His short order cook job at Dixie’s Cup pays the rent, and he’s content with his sober—if solitary—life.

When a fire leaves him homeless, Dixie’s offer to let him move into her basement ap
Published January 1st 2013 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Color of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Color of Grace

Touch & Geaux by Abigail RouxCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatToo Stupid to Live by Anne TeninoTell Me It's Real by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2013
103rd out of 677 books — 1,677 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevillePromises by Marie SextonCaught Running by Madeleine UrbanFaith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels
Gay Romance that's NOT Insta-Love
149th out of 522 books — 689 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaje Harper
Apr 07, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This was a well done story of two men with difficult pasts coming together. I particularly liked Barrett, who'd weathered two major blows, and yet was willing to take a chance on building a life a third time. There were some threads that seemed to fade out with less attention than I expected (the possible arson?) and I almost felt this could have been longer, despite being a comfortably-sized novel, to touch more slowly on some of the baggage the men brought to this story. The characters were go ...more
Trisha Harrington
This was so much better than the first one. I loved Barrett and Sky, they made a really nice couple and it was nice to see two men, both with pain in their past's find a way of helping each other. I had put off reading this because of the first one, but I am sad now I did. This just captivated me.

Barrett had a trying past to say the least. He was an interesting character for me. He was also my favourite MC. His struggled hit close to home for me and the fact he was sober made me fall in love wit
Nic
Mar 02, 2013 Nic rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, series, zz-amazon-yes

This was a nice follow up to the first book, Cost of Repairs. Both the main characters were easy to sympathise with, both with troubled pasts and looking for something more. I actually didn't warm to Schuyler (Sky) in the first book but he seemed a totally different character in this book.

Nice story, good characters, well paced and easy to read in one sitting.
Feliz
Feb 09, 2013 Feliz rated it really liked it
I really really loved the first book in the series, Cost of Repairs. Unfortunately , as far as I'm concerned, this one can't hold a candle to the former. Why exactly though I couldn't say offhand.
The writing was just as great, intense and skillful, the sex scenes hot, the relationship realistic, the characters likable. Particularly Barrett, the one who'd hit rock bottom more than once and was just bouncing back.
Perhaps it was because I had some problems with Sky, not his character in and of its
Gabbi
Wow! I loved this book! I’ve read a couple of books by AM Arthur and this one by far is my favorite book this author has written. Fast-paced and smoothly written, I was immediately swept up into the characters’ lives and before I knew it, I had read the entire book in one sitting.

The blurb does an excellent job at describing what the novel is about. Both heroes have their own baggage and issues they are going through. I also liked how the relationship between the two men built as the novel progr
Pjm12
Jan 05, 2013 Pjm12 rated it really liked it
This starts off slow and quiet. Both homeless Barrett and perfectionist Sky have secrets, but their mutual attraction overrides their usual choice to be alone. The beginnings of this relationship is built very naturally. There is not really instant love, just instant *like* and lust, I guess. I liked the way they both just thought, 'oh, why not? I might as well show my interest and see how it goes'. (Quite nicely if you don't mind actually)

Having already become acquainted with the people of Stra
Bea
Jan 12, 2013 Bea rated it liked it
It was almost a four star review. I really enjoyed the difficult back story for both characters and I enjoyed the pace that we explored their relationship.

So for 90% of the book I enjoyed the relationship based plot line. Then they pulled (view spoiler). I somewhat already expected it, but the reasoning seemed forced and very tropey. It would have been much better if it had been left out, there were plenty of other conflict resolutions that could replaced it.

Ove
Erica
Oct 01, 2015 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huh. That was . . weird. I liked it, and all, and things happened and stuff occurred and romance grew, but for some reason I just never connected with any of it. The writing is polished and smooth and the pages just flew by. It was a good story, just not a great one, as the first book in this series was.
Tami (synchro from BL)
This was a disappointment because I very much liked the first installment of this series. Unfortunately here the characters remained shallow and the story couldn’t engage me. It was not a really bad read, just not anything special and not particularly good imho either.
Mandapanda
3.25 stars. Solid romance but lacking a little passion for me.
Shelby
It's been awhile since I read the first book in this series, but I was looking forward to reading this one. I'm glad I finally got around to it. This was an enjoyable, if not overly exciting read. I liked the characters and their back-stories. Both men have a troubled past for different reasons and their roads have finally brought them to a place where they can be open to someone coming into their lives. It makes them face their past and decide how they want to move forward.

Barrett hasn't had an
Candice
Jul 15, 2013 Candice rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, m-m
Once again, this was gearing up to be a 5 star read from me, but a couple of loose ends changed that.

I absolutely adored Sky and Barrett. More so Barrett and his unwillingness to give up and his strength to continue on with life. Barrett McCall is a reformed partier. He drank, did drugs, and had a lot of sex. His life wasn't pretty, but he never said it was. He's been dealt a craptastic hand, but he's making the best of it. Third time's a charm, right?

Schuyler Rhodes is an art teacher at a loca
DaisyGirl
Feb 05, 2013 DaisyGirl rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Barrett McCall is a reformed party animal working as a short order cook at Dixie’s Cup. He’s content with his sober—if solitary—life. When a fire leaves him homeless, Dixie offers to let him move into her basement apartment. Art teacher, Schuyler (“Sky”) Rhodes, is Dixie’s nephew. Dixie’s kind-hearted offer to Barrett couldn’t have come at a worse time for Sky. On the anniversary of his teenage cousin Matty’s drowning, Sky is battling his own demons. Despite issues from their respective
Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~
I really liked Barrett - he's far from perfect. He's an addict who's practicing sobriety. He's wandered from place to place trying to find home. He's lived hard, been knocked around by life. A fighter. But he owns his mistakes.

Sky was harder to connect to. He has these secrets he's held onto for 15 yrs & they eat at him so badly he uses alcohol to punish himself. Then someone who shares the secrets comes back to town & what he thinks was hovering over his head was something else entirely
Stephanie
Jan 02, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, mm-series
3.75 stars. I actually prefer the sequel more than the first book. I really liked it. The author does a good job in reminding some key points at the end of the first book that are relevant to the sequel without retelling the whole story. I like Barrett and Schuyler together and the chemistry between them. I like how the author slowly revealed their pasts in a way that's relevant to each scene in the story. It didn't feel awkward. I like that Dixie played a bigger role in the second book and we l ...more
Shannon
Aug 02, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
My enjoyment of this book was hindered a whole lot by one of the MCs names. Yes, I know, odd. His name was Schuyler which I kept reading as "Shooler" but I know was supposed to be "Skylar" and it continued through the entire book because I couldn't get my brain to cooperate. I don't know how much of the story I missed because I was constantly going back and re-pronouncing the fucking name. The story was sweet and at least it had some sex in there. Not crazy, hot sex but not off page either. So a ...more
Spencer  Del Toro
I read the first book in this series Cost of Repairs, and absolutely loved it and you can read my review on here. Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy this second book from A.M. Arthur.

I remember really struggling to get through it. It was like walking through treacle at times. I wasn’t invested in the two lead characters Barrett McCall and Schuyler Rhodes, and they seemed pale imitations to Sam and Rey from book 1.

It has ended up being the longest book I’ve read on Kindle, simply because I had little
Erica Chilson
3 stars

Genre: MM romance | Contemporary Romance | Slight suspense angle.

A.M. Arthur's writing is easy-flowing, page after page flying by. It's great for a few hours of entertainment to give you the warm and fuzzy feels. While I enjoyed the story on the surface, as well as the characters, there were a few things that had me not as entertained as I was with Cost of Repairs.

The story itself was formulaic, going in a similar direction of Cost of Repairs. Both men has tragic backstories. Only this
Love Bytes Reviews
4.5 star review by Dan

Barrett McCall took over Rey’s position at Dixie’s Cup after Rey was injured in the events in Book 1. When Book 2 opens, it is about seven weeks later, and Barrett has settled into the job. It isn’t what he wants to do long term, but it is working for now.

Then one night when he gets home from Dixie’s, he finds his apartment building, which also houses the Laundromat owned by Laura is in flames. The entire building is a total loss…but was it arson? And if so….why?

Barrett is
Discerningcritic
Nov 29, 2014 Discerningcritic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Product Warnings
Contains a hot man-on-man romance between a slightly uptight art teacher and a free-spirited tattoo-artist-turned-line-cook, a bucket of guilt sprinkled on top of past regrets, and the improper use of bamboo kabob skewers.

Wonderful - another stupid non-warning that only serves to make an excellent author appear ludicrous. I don't understand at all why this should be tagged on the end of the blurb. It's cringe worthy.
Thankfully, the book is great. Sky and Barrett rock in this ins
Jen
Sep 15, 2014 Jen rated it it was amazing
"Color of Grace" is the second book in the "Cost of Repairs" series by A.M. Arthur. This time around we have Schuyler and Barrett, two men without a great deal in common other than both having pasts, though each one handling the repercussions of those pasts in their own ways. If they pursue a relationship with one another, will there be any hope of a future together if one of them can't let go of the guilt he still carries?

Barrett McCall has experienced the highs and lows of his old life and has
Jenny Wood
SPOILERS... Read at your own risk, I will not change it....

First things first....I'm only mentioning this one thing that makes me so mad and it's because it happens towards the end and it's fresh in my mind... But, WHY oh WHY do the bad guys always get away with being terribly people in these stories? The guy the killed Sky's cousin Matty, not only killed him because he was trying to force him to what? Mess around with a girl because he knew he was gay and he didn't do it? So he kills him, yes i
Monika
In lieu of writing long reviews – I’m taking an extended break – I decided to leave this list showing some of the reasons for the stars I’ve given to the stories I’ve read.

5 Stars – Given to stories that had me falling in love with the characters or stories where I hated the characters but the author had me hooked. For stories that had me so engaged in the plot I couldn’t put the book down and stories that either made me cry buckets and/or laugh until I cried. In short…. these ones rocked my wo
Meggie
Jan 07, 2013 Meggie rated it liked it
Shelves: drama, romance, family
This story is solidly written and pulling enough. In my personal opinion I don't get a self destructive behaviour which is based on the guilt created and carried from the past. This behaviour makes a main characters weak and boring in my eyes. But okay, we aren't always strong and smart. In general I did like what did A.M. Arthur done with Barrett and Schuyler. They found each other and a new fresh chance. Finally they turned a fresh page into their future.
Heather
May 21, 2014 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Donna
Another story in this series that's not quiet wrapped up with a bow.

I liked Barrett and Schuyler together, I could of used more. I feel like we had finally got going when it ends.
I would of loved to have seen more of them.
Both guys have shadows in their past, and use the strength of each other to overcome it.

Rey and Sam come and go. They feel more settled into a HEA.

I like the style of writing, it's easy and fast.
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
Barrett is the short order cook that took over for Rey at the diner when Rey was injured and couldn't work.

Sky is Dixie( the diner's owners) nephew. We met him in book one, he is also Rey's ex.

Barrett loses everything when the apartment he is living in burns to the ground. He us left with just the clothes on his back. He spends the night at Rey and Sam's house, and is invited to their housewarming party. Sky is also at the party. Sky is upset, so Barrett takes him out. Sky and Barrett start ha
Chappy
It was good to catch up with Samuel and Rey. In this book, we focus on Schuyler (how do you even say his name??? Is it like Skyler!!!) who is a high school art teacher and also happens to be Rey's ex. When his apartment complex burns down, Barrett is left homeless. Thank goodness that his boss Dixie offers him the basement apartment. Since Dixie is Schuyler's aunt, Schuyler and Barrett get to hang out a lot.

The chemistry between these two was pretty hot and the build up was fantastic. It takes a
Donna
Jun 05, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-read
Let me just start by saying....I LOVED this story!!!! Enough said! lol Wish I had book 3...will have to go hunt for it!!! Both books in this series have been great...and the stories have touched my heart! I really, really wish I had book 3!!!!! Oh NO...book 3 doesn't come out til August! grrrrrr
♥J ♥
Aug 13, 2013 ♥J ♥ rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
This second story from this series was for me not as strong as the first. I definitely felt the connection in the first book but this couple was just meh for me. Again, some unfinished business in the story.
Still like the characters enough though to read the next book in this series.
MareTara SLiTsReaD Reviews

I really enjoyed this book... like really did

The writing was seamless and kept me entranced

Mare~Slitsread
  • Your Biggest Fan (Self-Discovery Book 1)
  • Junk  (The Bristol Collection #1)
  • Family Man
  • Covet Thy Neighbor (Tucker Springs, #4)
  • Sole Support
  • Bad Attitude (Bad in Baltimore, #3)
  • Never a Hero (Tucker Springs, #5)
  • Every Move He Makes
  • Love in Plain Sight (Senses and Sensations, #2)
  • The Coil
  • Ethan in Gold (Johnnies, #3)
  • If the Stars Fall (The Making of a Man, #5)
  • After the End
  • Analyzing Emory
  • Saving Sean (Seattle Stories, #2)
  • Question Mark (Liaisons #2)
  • Slam!
  • Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia, #1)
No stranger to the writing world, A.M. Arthur has been creating stories in her head since she was a child and scribbling them down nearly as long. She credits an early fascination with male friendships and "bromance" (and "The Young Riders") with her later discovery of and subsequent affair with m/m romance stories. When not writing, she can be found in her kitchen, pretending she's an amateur che ...more
More about A.M. Arthur...

Cost of Repairs (5 books)
  • Cost of Repairs (Cost of Repairs, #1)
  • Weight of Silence (Cost of Repairs, #3)
  • Acts of Faith (Cost of Repairs #4)
  • Foundation of Trust (Cost of Repairs, #5)