Start by marking “First, I Love You (The Downey Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
First, I Love You (The Downey Trilogy, #1)

First, I Love You (The Downey Trilogy #1)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  25 reviews
One part Godfather, two parts Emma and a dash of Casablanca mixed together, "First, I Love You" isn't a detective novel, a gangster novel, a mystery, a romance or a family saga. It's a little of all of the above.

Imagine being a detective with a mobster for a father, or a mobster with a straight arrow, good cop for a son. This is a relationship that is tricky on its best da
ebook
Published June 19th 2012 by Smashwords (first published June 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about First, I Love You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First, I Love You

Sorcha O'Dowd
To start, all I can say is WOW! This is an absolutely amazing book that has something for everyone in it. It has a mix of genres including gangster crime, detective, mystery, romance and family. This is a book not to be missed.

I genuinely applaud the author Genevieve Dewey for how incredibly well this book was written. With six main characters and the narration skipping between each character for each chapter, I was worried at first that too many points of view would get confusing especially wit
Deidre
This is a definite must read. Family drama, intrigue, smexy love scenes, and all brilliantly written, packaged in one book. Genevieve Dewey sets up in First I Love You, what is sure to be an explosive trilogy. Read it and become immersed in the Family Downey. It's one mob family that you want to get involved with!
Renee

Well that says a lot and usually I get suckered into believing this and I am disappointed. This was before I read First I Love You. It is a saga! So the story is a little complicated, but if you pay attention by chapter 3 you are sunk and stay up all night to read it. I loved Mickey and
Penelope Jones
Show me romance weaved into in-depth multi-layered twists and turns, and I will tell you that you have a hit on your hands.

Seriously, Genevieve Dewey has done it!

What took years and several attempts for the greats of the writing world, she accomplished in her very first book! She has taken a family known as the Downey's and created rich, unique, some lovable, and some you love-to-hate characters.

I wanted to know what everyone was talking about... and OMG I now know. Godfather meets Romance with
Reading Bliss
This was an interesting book and it kept me on my toes. In this book you follow a task force trying to shut down a human trafficking operation. One of the task force agents has an ex-mob father and two younger siblings. One of the task force agents dates the sister. The third agent is falling in love. All in all the story mainly revolves around the first agent and his mother.

I enjoyed the plot and the writing. I was not completely thrilled that each chapter was in a different characters point of
Julie Butler
This book was amazing. A great read that makes you connect with the characters. I can not wait for the second book! I recommend this book to anyone!
Genevieve Dewey
Apr 29, 2013 Genevieve Dewey marked it as books-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It's a shiny new cover!!!!
McKaylin Felton
As my first mob related book, I will have to say that I greatly enjoyed this read. Dewey has a way of telling a story through the eyes of the characters that will make you feel a closeness to each and every one of them: Tommy, Mary, Michael, Kiki, Joey, Ginny and even James.

While this is a great novel, it is also packed with criminal action, mafia rundowns, separate love stories, and family issues that you will only find yourself wanting to become a part of. While Michael (aka Magic Mickey) Down
Literati_Lit
I can’t believe I almost missed this jewel of a story. I am absolutely in love with First, I Love You.

Tommy Gates is an Omaha Detective who has been pulled into a federal case which involves the Chicago Mafia dealing in drugs and human trafficking. Tommy happens to have extensive knowledge and a secret underground contact in the world of organized crime. It’s a secret that he tries hard to ignore, even though this “secret” keeps popping up in his life. That secret connection just happens to be h
Elle
LINK TO REVIEW: http://storiesandswag.blogspot.com/20...

First I Love You is the first book in The Downey Trilogy by Genevieve Dewey. This novel is unlike anything I’ve ever read. When I saw the story was told from the perspective of six different characters, I worried it would be difficult to distinguish between the characters’ narration and follow along with the story.

Genevieve Dewey wastes no time introducing the players and does so in a way that allows the reader to easily follow along withou
Roses Book Blog
Sometimes when I sit down to read a book I think to myself this is never going to work there is no way I am going to be able to stay awake and read this story. I thought that would be the case with First, I Love You. This book is not told from on person's point of view or two people's points of view... but a total of six different people. At first I couldn't figure out what all these people have in common you have Tommy Gates a detective, his mother Mary Gates, his father Michael "Mickey" Downey ...more
Roni Guzman
This book is very unique. I have never read a book where there are so many point of views throughout the entire book. In this series, you get 6 different point of views. First you have Tommy and Ginny. Tommy is the son of an alleged mobster. He tries his whole life to distance himself from his father's name and to be the man of the house for his mom. He even becomes a cop which is a brave move in my opinion because his father is very well known to be involved in many illegal activities. Tommy st ...more
Ashley

Rabid Readers Reviews
This first novel feels like a solid set up for the rest of the series but can be difficult to follow at times because focus is divided between five different characters each of whom have a lot going on in their lives and past. There are moments of brilliance – Kiki’s memories of her father writing to her brother over the years and her clear love and admiration for him. And moments that are not so wonderful – some of the dialogue is unnatural and overused in literature along the lines of “Darnit, ...more
Shanika AliC
I didn't want this book to end. & Now that its ended I'm stalling with the second in the series because I love the characters so darn much!
This series is a hidden gem that I would recommend to everybody I know!
Debbi
I love all of the characters. They are the lovable complicated people you have in your own life. All be it some of them may or may not have killed people. We're still gathering evidence. This is a must read if you love crime mixed with romance and a large helping of family stuff.
Peach
This book is essentially about the reconciliation of an estranged relationship between Mickey (a retired mobster) and his illegitimate son (Tommy)as well as the romantic love of three couples: Mickey and Mary, Tommy and Ginny, and James and Kiki. It is well written and the story is engaging. Though there is a cast of characters but it does not get confusing. My favorite of the couplings is Tommy and Ginny and really want to find out how their relationship is going to evolve in subsequent books.
Bren Stacklin
What an amazing book. The characters draw you into an intricate web of family drama/romance and intrigue.

You feel for the main character, who finds himself torn btwn his family and his strong beliefs in the law. Characters like James and Kiki, his retired mobster father, Mickey and Ginny keep you spellbound- their turmoil over his relationship with his father a struggle too- while Tommy fights with his inner demons and realizing that not everything is black or white.

Highly recommend. Excellent
Marsha
First, I Love You by Genevieve exceeded all of my expectations. Sound like a love story, right? It is, three love stories actually, but so much more. Police, federal agents, and....mobsters! I was left wondering who the bad guys were, I loved them all. It's a crime drama that tries to answer the question of nature vs nurture. If a good person is in an evil position, is the person not still good? I am so excited to have read this, and hope you all will be too.
Keri Huffam
I am still trying to figure out what kind of book s I enjoy reading & this book has definitely helped me to figure it out..The ending to this book was unbelievable!!!! I can't wait for the next book to find out what happens to all of the characters...The author made the characters so real, like I knew them...
Michelle
The mix of story lines in this book is what piqued my interest. The plot takes off quickly with a police detective joining a task force investigating a human trafficking ring. He is very devoted to justice, but knows that his family connections will have people doubting his loyalty. This is just one of many instances in the book that illustrate that the majority of situations in life are deliciously complicated.

The book has many rich characters full of complexity and relatability. Tommy's ebull
Debbi
Just started and loving it. I love it when a book grabs you in the first sentence and will not let you go. I'm only pausing this quick second to let my friends know about this great new book and author.
Cathy
What a fun book. Excellent characters. I finished this and immediately went and bought the sequel.
Judy Piasecki
Enjoyed reading Need to hear her talk on self-publishing. She's doing a good job.
Shari-amor
Apr 25, 2014 Shari-amor marked it as own-need-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
Won as part of the 2013 Holiday Party in the Erotic Enchants Group
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Paulii
Paulii added it
Dec 08, 2014
Roco
Roco marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
  • Rise of the Notorious (Vasser Legacy, #2)
  • The Life You Left
  • The Pit Stop: This Stop Could be Life or Death
  • Run Rabbit Run (Sophie Green Mystery, #5)
  • I'll Be Watching You
  • Saving Rain (Rain Trilogy, #1)
  • Up Close
  • The Changeling (Weald Fae Journals, #2)
  • The Silver Locket
  • Indigo Instinct (The Indigo Trilogy, #2)
  • The Gemstone (Pendant Trilogy, #1)
  • New Yesterdays
  • Number Seventy-Five
  • RecruitZ (Afterworld, #1)
  • No Such Thing as Immortality
  • Heavy Duty People (Brethren Trilogy #1)
  • The Last MacKlenna
  • Found Money
6441991
I was raised mostly in Nebraska, partly in Arizona. My family is from Chicago but lived briefly in Canada before settling in Nebraska. I have a Masters in Anthropology and passion for the subjects of mobsters, cops, shoes and guns.
And chocolate ... naturally. ;)

Grab a FREE copy of my short romance The Bird Day Battalion here at Goodreads or at all major eBook retailers!
More about Genevieve Dewey...
The Bird Day Battalion (Dom and Kate #1) The Good Life The V-Day Aversion (Dom and Kate #2) Second of All (The Downey Trilogy #2) Third Time's The Charm (The Downey Trilogy, #3)

“Love knows no time, or distance, and it certainly knows no reason.” 3 likes
“Just because the bully was always nice to you, never stole your lunch money, didn’t make him any less of a bully, did it?” 3 likes