The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5)

The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles #1.5)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  4,739 ratings  ·  605 reviews
It is time. The boy must leave his family to serve in the Queen's army. To be chosen is an honor. To decline is impossible. The boy is modified. He is trained for several years, and learns to fight to the death. He proves to the Queen—and to himself—that he is capable of evil. He is just the kind of soldier the Queen wants: the alpha of his pack.
Online Free Read, 18 pages
Published November 23rd 2012 by Wattpad

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Army, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen's Army

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
14th out of 477 books — 918 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica RothAllegiant by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
What we've read so far in...2014
185th out of 7,016 books — 1,226 voters

More lists with this book...

Keertana
The Queen's Army is one of two good e-novellas out there, the other being Roar and Liv by Veronica Rossi. While I am always exceedingly curious to pick up novellas, I tend to find that they are massive disappointments, focusing on unrelated aspects of the plot or simply written poorly. Whatever the case may be, I have more or less sworn off of YA Novellas. In Marissa Meyer's case, though, I'll be making an exception. The Queen's Army was short, but sufficient enough to give the reader new - and...more
The Holy Terror
Ever wanted to read about how The Big Bad Wolf went from his meager beginnings as a child to a teenage soldier in the Lunar Queen's genetically engineered army?

Of course you do. Read this story for free, here.
Elevetha
Feb 07, 2013 Elevetha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone
Shelves: quite-good, 2012
Read here.

Oh, my word.

This has made me so excited for Scarlet.

description

As if I wasn't excited enough.

Z is a interesting character that I would adore more on. (view spoiler)

Z's thoughts and...feelings are wonderful to get a handle on. I felt so sorry for the 12 year old boy and was rooting for the 17 year old soldier. (view spoiler)

MIND CONTROL?...more
Valeria Andrea
O.O
@.@ Holy mother of... irony.

So, this has been Levana's plan all along. Or how she formed her army, at least. Hmm, *thinks deeply* I wonder what she saw on Z the moment he was fighting. Mas vale maña que fuerza, indeed.
Better watch than be watched.
& of course she planted the thought on him, so again, I wonder what made she.

Damn it, Levana. Why do you have to use that veil? I can't see what you're thinking!

&, BTW, I picture Levana like this: The Evil Queen
When she is using the compulsion, of course...more
TheBookofJules
Oh my God, the Queen's army is making (view spoiler) I knew it. Someone call Blizzard. They can have a party over this, discuss the different attributes each version has, compare and contrast physical characteristics, get drunk into the night and then go home and dream about their faux human/faux (view spoiler) creations.

That was the first thing that came into my mind as I was reading this short story, but as it progressed I realized this story held...more
Crystal Starr Light
One day, 12 year old Z is whisked from his home and genetically modified for the Queen's Army. There, he is trained to be a killer. But the thing Z wants most is to never become the pure animal of the infantry.

This short story was completely awesome. I mean...wow! I adored it. I loved the characters, I loved the story, I especially loved the well-thought out action scenes. Oh, wait, there is one thing I didn't love...it's way too darned short! Hopefully, I get to see Z in "Scarlet". What an amaz...more
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
You say Z, I think Zsadist. You say Wolf, I think Hawke. That aside, this was excellent. I just really love short stories, and this one was great.
Susana
Interesting insight on Wolf's background. From being choosen to join the Queen's army, to having to survive among the pack. My only complaint is that it ended too soon :)
Heidi
Fans of The Lunar Chronicles, rejoice! Not only is the release of Scarlet fast approaching us, but as she did with Cinder, Marissa Meyer has released a short story preamble to her upcoming book, giving us a look at a new featured character–Z. Like Cinder’s short story, Glitches, The Queen’s Army provides us with an insightful back story for a character, allowing us a better understanding of what has shaped them when we meet them at young adults.

Z’s story begins when he is twelve years old and ta...more
Ami
Before reading Scarlet, I decided to read this short first. However, as DISCLOSURE, I wrote this opinion AFTER I finished reading Scarlet. Thus, the review sort of influenced by it.

The Queen's Army was a short story that gave a quick background about Wolf, the hero on Scarlet. Story on how he was shaped into part of the killing army of Queen Levana. I thought this was quite important because unlike other characters, Wolf didn't get his own chapters in Scarlet. So I learned about his characters,...more
YA Novelties
Check this review out at our blog!

Gotta love the dramatic-ness of the summary. The "It is time" part just makes this sounds like a joyride. Congratulations to us the readers, because this isn't just any ordinary novella that is totally irrelevant to the plot and is a boring intro to the new guys. Well, yes this is an intro to a new guy, but it's dark, nitty gritty stuff ready to totally make the Scarlet-desperately-needed-person (SDNP) to blow up for Scarlet. I had almost forgotten and gotten ov...more
Noelle
Getting insight into how the wolf pack was created was fantastic. It was raw, full of carnage, and so like her majesty. The lunar queen is dark and twisted, capable of evil where she doesn't care if her people die - and we got to witness that here.

Though, gotta say when he broke down because he had to leave his family:

description

It's funny that this is a prelude to Scarlet and all it's made me want is Cress.

I love this series.
Jenn
The Queen's Army was the story of how Wolf came to be in (duh) the Queen's Army. While I was reading Scarlet, I was intrigued by his character, so I welcomed this glimpse into his past. Being plucked from his family was heartbreaking, but the part I loved the most was Ran. Great forshadowing for what was to come in Scarlet.

While I get this is a prequel to Scarlet, having already read that, I now want Cress. I want to read more about the people of Luna.
Katy
So I read this novella after reading Scarlet, and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it gave us a little more insight on Z, and it would have probably given me a leg up on what was going on in Scarlet. On the other hand, I don't feel any more attached to him than I did after reading Scarlet. I wonder if it would have just been better written as a prologue since we're supposed to read it before Scarlet anyway.
Berls (Fantasy is More Fun)
My Initial Reaction...
The second I heard about The Queen's Army in Cinder, I was thinking werewolves - and I was so excited to open this up and discover that I was right! This was a fun, quick novella that held me over until I could get Scarlet from the library.

The Good...
Marissa Meyer did a really great job developing characters with such a short book. I felt like I really got to know and understand Z - who is the main character in "The Queen's Army." He's been pulled away from his family a...more
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I would be fine if we never encountered the Lunar queen again in this series, but I know that's not going to happen. Having the ability to compel others to bend to one's will makes a person a very worthy adversary, and so I know we have much more of Levana's presence to tolerate. Though, I do hope she gets her comeuppance, especially now that I know the full extent of the atrocities she is willing to commit.

I did like the introduction to Z in this short story, and I hope that his character is fe...more
Sarah Dorra
Between Marissa Meyer’s Cinder and Scarlet is a 29-page-long short story, the Queen’s Army or, as on Goodreads, the Lunar Chronicles #1.5. It’s a backstory to Wolf, one of the main characters in the Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) and how he became a person – so to say – that he never wanted to become. In only 29 pages, Meyer reflects the dilemma of a young man whose society has turned into no more than an obeying marionette.

The Queen’s Army tells the story of Ze’ev or Z (to be, later, known a...more
Carina Olsen
The Queen's Army is a prequel to Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. This is her second short story from the Lunar Chronicles world. And it was amazing. Truly amazing. I have missed Marissa's writing so much. It really is stunning :) This short story is so good. It's written really well, and while it isn't so long, it's also perfect. I wish it had been longer. Like a whole book. I seem to fall for all of Marissa's characters. Which is pretty good, to be honest ;) While this is short, and I wanted more, it...more
Kaity
Meyer has created such a unique blend of genres with her Lunar Chronicles series. It's truly amazing that everything works seamlessly together. The Queen's Army was a wonderful example of this genre blend.

His breathing was becoming more and more difficult to soothe. “What’s going to happen to me? In the next . . . eight to twelve months?”
She flashed a braggart’s smile. “You’ll become a soldier, of course.” She held up the small device again. With a tap, a holograph emerged, showing two rotating
Kelly
Holy... smokes. This was a wonderfully disturbing story. Seriously, it's the type of story that gives me nightmares. To be taken from your family with no chance of refusing, modified, and thrust into a world of blood and fighting where the top dog is the one who is the most brutal ... that just gives me the shivers. The good shivers. The type that make me *long* for the next book something fierce.

I hope we see more of Z in future books because there was something about him that I found very appe...more
Michael
**Scarlet Notice: My personal recommendation is that you not read this until after you read Book Two, Scarlet. This short story has spoilers for Scarlet.**

This is a well-built short story, hitting enough highlights to feel almost like a novella in just a few pages. I liked the ethical questions raised here, and the personal story was poignant. If you've read Cinder, it doesn't really advance the plot, it's more of a parallel fleshing out of the Cinder universe.

You can read this on the SF and Fan...more
Armina

Give me training, fights, animal senses, alpha, beta & omega and I'm totally sold out!

Oh and the names! "Z", seriously? Any Fever series fans here? :)

As for "Jael" - in my mind immediately came Jael from Days of Blood & Starlight although I must admit this Jael is much more likable.

I'm only docking a star because it's a novella. Great read!
Lisa
I enjoyed The Queen's Army but I'd recommend reading it after finishing Scarlet. There are some important spoilers in this novella for book two of the series. I think I would have enjoyed Scarlet more had I not known who Wolf was and about his background.
Stephanie ♥Loves Adrian Ivashkov♥
Jan 26, 2013 Stephanie ♥Loves Adrian Ivashkov♥ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Cinder!
Shelves: young-adult
Another free Lunar Chronicles read! Gotta love that.

Unlike Glitches this story is about a boy named Z, who is chosen to serve in the queen's army. He gets modification where they get wolfish characteristics and gets trained for years.

I really liked this. I felt kind of sorry for Z with the way he gets taken away by his family and how he had no choice in the matter. As always I liked Marissa's writing a lot. She just knows how to catch my attention and keep me hooked! More please!
Milka
Apr 07, 2014 Milka rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
This one made me so excited for Scarlet!

We are introduced to Z, a Lunar, who is taken from his home at young age to a training camp. His body is modified, his powers made to mimic those of a wolf. He is given a promise that if he does well, he might become a part of Queen's elite group and he would not have to go through more body modifications. At first, time drags at the training, but once he gets used to the rhythm of endless fights and animalistic dinners, his voice filling with smells and s...more
Fenia
Listening to movie soundtrack and reading this..means tears.lots of them! I love Wolf as a character and seeing what they've done to him? It is just too cruel to handle :( Another lovely novella of Marissa Meyer ♥
Cassia Trence
Oh dear.

Oh deardy, dear, deardy, dear.

Marissa Meyer has written another amazing work of art.

I don't know how.

I really don't.

All I know is that I absolutely loved this novella.

Reading this makes me like Wolf more. I always liked him, but I was kind of uhhh nah, but this, this, THIS.

I absolutely loved the way we get to see how these poor children were treated on Luna, how Levana made an army like this, how we got to see Wolf develop as a person, and as a soldier. Oh God, did I mention how pe...more
Joanne G.
Nov 03, 2012 Joanne G. marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
Online Fiction, Free Edition
Expected publication: November 21st 2012 by Tor
Meghan
I'm just going to sit in the corner and cry now. Okay? Okay.
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Portrait of a Marshal: The 2nd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.25)
  • Allies (Insignia #1.5)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Life Before Legend (Legend, #0.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Phoenix Overture (Newsoul, #2.5)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • The Summer Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.5)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my fiancé and our two cats. In addition to my slight obsession with books and writing, I'm big on road-tripping, wine-tasting, and hunting for antiques. I'm represented by Jill Grinberg.

CINDER, my debut novel, is a futuristic re-envisioning of Cinderella in which Cinder is a cyborg mechanic. Release date: 3 Jan 2012.
More about Marissa Meyer...
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5) The Little Android (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.6)