Start by marking “The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5)

The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles #1.5)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  7,982 ratings  ·  875 reviews
It is time. The boy must leave his family to serve in the Queen's army. To be chosen is an honor. To decline is impossible. The boy is modified. He is trained for several years, and learns to fight to the death. He proves to the Queen—and to himself—that he is capable of evil. He is just the kind of soldier the Queen wants: the alpha of his pack.
Online Free Read, 18 pages
Published November 23rd 2012 by Wattpad (first published November 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Army, please sign up.

Debbie Pahler I would rad before Scarlet but it really doens't matter
Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
10th out of 526 books — 1,046 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica RothAllegiant by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
What we've read so far in...2014
237th out of 9,287 books — 1,878 voters

More lists with this book...

Keertana
The Queen's Army is one of two good e-novellas out there, the other being Roar and Liv by Veronica Rossi. While I am always exceedingly curious to pick up novellas, I tend to find that they are massive disappointments, focusing on unrelated aspects of the plot or simply written poorly. Whatever the case may be, I have more or less sworn off of YA Novellas. In Marissa Meyer's case, though, I'll be making an exception. The Queen's Army was short, but sufficient enough to give the reader new - and ...more
Anne
Prequel to Scarlet...
FREE TO READ ONLINE!!!
Click this Link...you're welcome.

This tells Z's (or Wolf's) origin story, and it's pretty darn good for being such a short little read!
It starts with he day he was taken from him home at 12, and recounts how he was genetically modified into the Lunar version of The Big Bad Wolf.
Or a werewolf...depending on how you want to look at it.
The animosity between Wolf and his brother Ran is explained, as is his rise to Alpha of his pack.
Again, this is not a long
Elevetha
Read here.

Oh, my word.

This has made me so excited for Scarlet.

description

As if I wasn't excited enough.

Z is a interesting character that I would adore more on. (view spoiler)

Z's thoughts and...feelings are wonderful to get a handle on. I felt so sorry for the 12 year old boy and was rooting for the 17 year old soldier. (view spoiler)

MIND CONTROL?
The Holy Terror
Ever wanted to read about how The Big Bad Wolf went from his meager beginnings as a child to a teenage soldier in the Lunar Queen's genetically engineered army?

Of course you do. Read this story for free, here.
Valeria Andrea
O.O
@.@ Holy mother of... irony.

So, this has been Levana's plan all along. Or how she formed her army, at least. Hmm, *thinks deeply* I wonder what she saw on Z the moment he was fighting. Mas vale maña que fuerza, indeed.
Better watch than be watched.
& of course she planted the thought on him, so again, I wonder what made she.

Damn it, Levana. Why do you have to use that veil? I can't see what you're thinking!

&, BTW, I picture Levana like this: The Evil Queen
When she is using the compulsion, of course
Isabelle
Marrisa Meyer said let there be bad-ass wolf hybrids.

And there was.
Julia
Oh my God, the Queen's army is making (view spoiler) I knew it. Someone call Blizzard. They can have a party over this, discuss the different attributes each version has, compare and contrast physical characteristics, get drunk into the night and then go home and dream about their faux human/faux (view spoiler) creations.

That was the first thing that came into my mind as I was reading this short story, but as it progressed I realized this story held
Crystal Starr Light
One day, 12 year old Z is whisked from his home and genetically modified for the Queen's Army. There, he is trained to be a killer. But the thing Z wants most is to never become the pure animal of the infantry.

This short story was completely awesome. I mean...wow! I adored it. I loved the characters, I loved the story, I especially loved the well-thought out action scenes. Oh, wait, there is one thing I didn't love...it's way too darned short! Hopefully, I get to see Z in "Scarlet". What an amaz
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
You say Z, I think Zsadist. You say Wolf, I think Hawke. That aside, this was excellent. I just really love short stories, and this one was great.
Nanu
Estuvo bueno leer un poco más sobre este personaje, pero me parece que le faltó profundizar en algunos aspectos (view spoiler). Casi todo lo que pasa se puede deducir de la lectura de Scarlet (view spoiler), así que el final de ...more
Shii
You have to be an evil queen in order to take 12 year olds away from their families to be genetically engineered into murderous beast for your private army.

Great ending!! Wolf
Norah Sumner
"He had known this was inevitable."

This was a really nice prequel to Scarlet,I liked Z and his personality.The ending was really interesting,I'm guessing that his brother will be some sort of jackass in Scarlet?And Queen...what a bitch,jeez.I think I'll be reading Scarlet very,very soon.

Ferdy
It was a little too short and wasn't all that engrossing. Did like the insight into Wolf/Z's history though and getting more details about Luna/Levena's army.
 ᴍɪᴄs *doesn't even know what page she's on*
You're breaking my heart. Pobre Ze'ev Kensley (me aprendí el nombre, ¡soy lo más!), y Levana que mala que sos mujer. Eso sí, no recuerdo casi nada de Scarlet y eso es inaceptable porque Scarlet y Wolf eran mis favoritos así que antes de que salga Winter lo voy a releer.
Susana
Interesting insight on Wolf's background. From being choosen to join the Queen's army, to having to survive among the pack. My only complaint is that it ended too soon :)
Sarah (couldn't be more stoked for summer)
This was alright, just like the other novellas in the series. There's something about Marissa Meyer's writing that makes me feel very distant from the story.
Heidi
Fans of The Lunar Chronicles, rejoice! Not only is the release of Scarlet fast approaching us, but as she did with Cinder, Marissa Meyer has released a short story preamble to her upcoming book, giving us a look at a new featured character–Z. Like Cinder’s short story, Glitches, The Queen’s Army provides us with an insightful back story for a character, allowing us a better understanding of what has shaped them when we meet them at young adults.

Z’s story begins when he is twelve years old and ta
Ami
Before reading Scarlet, I decided to read this short first. However, as DISCLOSURE, I wrote this opinion AFTER I finished reading Scarlet. Thus, the review sort of influenced by it.

The Queen's Army was a short story that gave a quick background about Wolf, the hero on Scarlet. Story on how he was shaped into part of the killing army of Queen Levana. I thought this was quite important because unlike other characters, Wolf didn't get his own chapters in Scarlet. So I learned about his characters,
Daniel
And Marissa keeps throwing new and interesting ideas. Can't wait till we meet Z again :)
Hannah
Poor Wolf....sniff sniff.

(DIE, LEVANNA, DIE!)
Claire Stevens
This is the second in the trio of Wattpad stories Marissa Meyer wrote to compliment the Lunar Chronicles books and it tell the story of Wolf's past, before he came to Earth and met Scarlet.

The story opens with Wolf as a twelve year old boy called Ze'ev, or Z for short, being taken from his home by the queen's thaumaturge to join her bonkers army of wolf-man hybrids and then goes through his training in the army.

I really liked this installment of the short stories. It was very violent because it
Natalie Monroe
Damn, now I want to reread Scarlet.
Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
In Cinder, we learned that the Levana, the Lunar Queen, was creating an army. In The Queen's Army, we learn that her army is not an ordinary one. Still-developing, twelve year old boys, who show the proper aptitude, are taken to training facilities where they are GENETICALLY RE-ENGINEERED into essentially werewolves.

W-E-R-E-W-O-L-V-E-S.

Then they go through years of basic training hell where they live in a "pack" to better serve their new "wolfish" instincts.

I almost always read the novellas that
YA Novelties
Check this review out at our blog!

Gotta love the dramatic-ness of the summary. The "It is time" part just makes this sounds like a joyride. Congratulations to us the readers, because this isn't just any ordinary novella that is totally irrelevant to the plot and is a boring intro to the new guys. Well, yes this is an intro to a new guy, but it's dark, nitty gritty stuff ready to totally make the Scarlet-desperately-needed-person (SDNP) to blow up for Scarlet. I had almost forgotten and gotten ov
Michael
**Notice for people who have not read Scarlet: My personal recommendation is that you not read this until after you read Book Two, Scarlet. This short story has spoilers for Scarlet.**

This is a well-built short story, hitting enough highlights to feel almost like a novella in just a few pages. I liked the ethical questions raised here, and the personal story was poignant. If you've read Cinder, it doesn't really advance the plot, it's more of a parallel fleshing out of the Cinder universe.

You ca
Gabriela
I strongly recommend reading this novella only after reading Scarlet since it spoils a mayor plot twist from the book.
That said, it was such a great read. Marissa Meyer's writting and craft are just incredible. If it was up to me, this series could go on fovever.
Erik
Nuž, nuž, nuž... čítanie Scarlet je stále viac a viac reálnejšie a potrebnejšie po tejto novelke. Lebo teda... brutal.
Noelle
Getting insight into how the wolf pack was created was fantastic. It was raw, full of carnage, and so like her majesty. The lunar queen is dark and twisted, capable of evil where she doesn't care if her people die - and we got to witness that here.

Though, gotta say when he broke down because he had to leave his family:

description

It's funny that this is a prelude to Scarlet and all it's made me want is Cress.

I love this series.
Armina

Give me training, fights, animal senses, alpha, beta & omega and I'm totally sold out!

Oh and the names! "Z", seriously? Any Fever series fans here? :)

As for "Jael" - in my mind immediately came Jael from Days of Blood & Starlight although I must admit this Jael is much more likable.

I'm only docking a star because it's a novella. Great read!
The books with looks: The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5) 3 4 Apr 19, 2015 05:28PM
The Nooks of Books: The Queen's Army 1 2 Mar 13, 2015 12:24PM
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • The Tailor (The Grisha, #1.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Seraphina: The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Isolation (Partials Sequence #0.5)
  • Tomorrow and Tomorrow (All Our Yesterdays, #1.5)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my fiancé and our two cats. In addition to my slight obsession with books and writing, I'm big on road-tripping, wine-tasting, and hunting for antiques. I'm represented by Jill Grinberg.

CINDER, my debut novel, is a futuristic re-envisioning of Cinderella in which Cinder is a cyborg mechanic. Release date: 3 Jan 2012.
More about Marissa Meyer...

The Lunar Chronicles (5 books)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)
  • Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles #0.5, 0.6, 1.5, 3.1, 3.6)
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5)

“He had known this was inevitable.” 1 likes