Start by marking “The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5)

The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles #1.5)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  9,295 ratings  ·  996 reviews
It is time. The boy must leave his family to serve in the Queen's army. To be chosen is an honor. To decline is impossible. The boy is modified. He is trained for several years, and learns to fight to the death. He proves to the Queen—and to himself—that he is capable of evil. He is just the kind of soldier the Queen wants: the alpha of his pack.
Online Free Read, 18 pages
Published November 23rd 2012 by Wattpad (first published November 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Army, please sign up.

Agus Sztyrle I read it after Scarlet, and I think it's best that way :)
Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
8th out of 544 books — 1,113 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica RothAllegiant by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
What we've read so far in...2014
242nd out of 9,474 books — 1,927 voters

More lists with this book...

Prequel to Scarlet...
Click this're welcome.

This tells Z's (or Wolf's) origin story, and it's pretty darn good for being such a short little read!
It starts with the day he was taken from him home at 12, and recounts how he was genetically modified into the Lunar version of The Big Bad Wolf.
Or a werewolf...depending on how you want to look at it.
The animosity between Wolf and his brother Ran is explained, as is his rise to Alpha of his pack.
Again, this is not a lon
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
In CINDER, we learned that Levana, the Lunar Queen, was creating an army. In THE QUEEN'S ARMY, we learn that her army is not an ordinary one. Still developing, twelve-year-old boys who show the proper aptitude are taken to training facilities where they are GENETICALLY RE-ENGINEERED into essentially werewolves.

Then they go through years of basic training hell, where they live in a "pack" to better serve their new "wolfish" instincts.

I almost always read the novellas that acco
The Queen's Army is one of two good e-novellas out there, the other being Roar and Liv by Veronica Rossi. While I am always exceedingly curious to pick up novellas, I tend to find that they are massive disappointments, focusing on unrelated aspects of the plot or simply written poorly. Whatever the case may be, I have more or less sworn off of YA Novellas. In Marissa Meyer's case, though, I'll be making an exception. The Queen's Army was short, but sufficient enough to give the reader new - and ...more
Read here.

Oh, my word.

This has made me so excited for Scarlet.

As if I wasn't excited enough.

Z is a interesting character that I would adore more on. (view spoiler)

Z's thoughts and...feelings are wonderful to get a handle on. I felt so sorry for the 12 year old boy and was rooting for the 17 year old soldier. (view spoiler)

The Holy Terror
Ever wanted to read about how The Big Bad Wolf went from his meager beginnings as a child to a teenage soldier in the Lunar Queen's genetically engineered army?

Of course you do. Read this story for free, here.
So I read this after I read Scarlet because this comes with my copy.

This novella was about one of the new characters introduced in Scarlet. And I think it's better I read Scarlet first because I was blind to who this character was when I read Scarlet. I don't think I would have enjoyed this book as much if I read this first.

I really enjoyed this novella. It wasn't there just for the sake of having a novella. It was there to make you understand things that might not have been explained on the mai
Oh, this was good. Disturbing, and still somehow addictively written. Now for Book 2: Scarlet
Valeria Andrea
@.@ Holy mother of... irony.

So, this has been Levana's plan all along. Or how she formed her army, at least. Hmm, *thinks deeply* I wonder what she saw on Z the moment he was fighting. Mas vale maña que fuerza, indeed.
Better watch than be watched.
& of course she planted the thought on him, so again, I wonder what made she.

Damn it, Levana. Why do you have to use that veil? I can't see what you're thinking!

&, BTW, I picture Levana like this: The Evil Queen
When she is using the compulsion, of course
Marrisa Meyer said let there be bad-ass wolf hybrids.

And there was.
You have to be an evil queen in order to take 12 year olds away from their families to be genetically engineered into murderous beast for your private army.

Great ending!! Wolf
Oh my God, the Queen's army is making (view spoiler) I knew it. Someone call Blizzard. They can have a party over this, discuss the different attributes each version has, compare and contrast physical characteristics, get drunk into the night and then go home and dream about their faux human/faux (view spoiler) creations.

That was the first thing that came into my mind as I was reading this short story, but as it progressed I realized this story held
Crystal Starr Light
One day, 12 year old Z is whisked from his home and genetically modified for the Queen's Army. There, he is trained to be a killer. But the thing Z wants most is to never become the pure animal of the infantry.

This short story was completely awesome. I! I adored it. I loved the characters, I loved the story, I especially loved the well-thought out action scenes. Oh, wait, there is one thing I didn't's way too darned short! Hopefully, I get to see Z in "Scarlet". What an amaz
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
You say Z, I think Zsadist. You say Wolf, I think Hawke. That aside, this was excellent. I just really love short stories, and this one was great.
Estuvo bueno leer un poco más sobre este personaje, pero me parece que le faltó profundizar en algunos aspectos (view spoiler). Casi todo lo que pasa se puede deducir de la lectura de Scarlet (view spoiler), así que el final de ...more
This short story is not absoulutely necessary to the series, but I still really enjoyed reading about young Wolf. I would recommend reading it because it gives more insight into Levana's army. Also, if you haven't read Scarlet yet I would recommend reading this first. I read it after and kind of regret that decision now.

Ok, ok. I'm cool, now I'm fine. Sorry for my out rage and unusual use of words as the opening. I just needed a moment.

This is a short story on Wolf's (Scarlet's male lead) childhood and pretty much how he became was he is in the Lunar Chronicles.

The short story itself took me 10 minutes to read. But let me tell you, it was full of emotion. You see, I didn't like Wolf in Scarlet and Cress. In fact, I found myself not giving shit for his character in Scarlet.
Liz* Fashionably Late
Z, who are you and why am I so proud of you?

This was good, can't wait to read Scarlet.
Interesting insight on Wolf's background. From being choosen to join the Queen's army, to having to survive among the pack. My only complaint is that it ended too soon :)
Mariel Zani Begoña
Fue súper interesante conocer un poco de la historia de Wolf; supongo que el hecho de que este personaje me gusta mucho ayudó a que la historia corta me encantara

How the hell did I forget this entire story?! Loved re-reading it and I felt so bad for him! :(
It was a little too short and wasn't all that engrossing. Did like the insight into Wolf/Z's history though and getting more details about Luna/Levena's army.
With that one kill, he had ensured that she would never turn him into a monster.

He knew it as sure as, somewhere on the surface, the long, long day was coming.

No se puede luchar contra el instinto. Pero tampoco contra ti mismo.
Ze'ev tal vez no fue cambiado totalmente, pero eso mas que una ventaja es una constante pelea entre lo que fuiste (humano), y lo que quieren que seas (animal).

En esta historia corta se deja ver eso, y bueno me gusto mucho, Ze'ev es un gran personaje. Excelente narrati
 ᴍɪᴄs * the bitch is back*
You're breaking my heart. Pobre Ze'ev Kensley (me aprendí el nombre, ¡soy lo más!), y Levana que mala que sos mujer. Eso sí, no recuerdo casi nada de Scarlet y eso es inaceptable porque Scarlet y Wolf eran mis favoritos así que antes de que salga Winter lo voy a releer.
Norah Sumner
"He had known this was inevitable."

This was a really nice prequel to Scarlet,I liked Z and his personality.The ending was really interesting,I'm guessing that his brother will be some sort of jackass in Scarlet?And Queen...what a bitch,jeez.I think I'll be reading Scarlet very,very soon.

Sarah ♢November hiatus♢
This was alright, just like the other novellas in the series. There's something about Marissa Meyer's writing that makes me feel very distant from the story.
Fans of The Lunar Chronicles, rejoice! Not only is the release of Scarlet fast approaching us, but as she did with Cinder, Marissa Meyer has released a short story preamble to her upcoming book, giving us a look at a new featured character–Z. Like Cinder’s short story, Glitches, The Queen’s Army provides us with an insightful back story for a character, allowing us a better understanding of what has shaped them when we meet them at young adults.

Z’s story begins when he is twelve years old and ta
Before reading Scarlet, I decided to read this short first. However, as DISCLOSURE, I wrote this opinion AFTER I finished reading Scarlet. Thus, the review sort of influenced by it.

The Queen's Army was a short story that gave a quick background about Wolf, the hero on Scarlet. Story on how he was shaped into part of the killing army of Queen Levana. I thought this was quite important because unlike other characters, Wolf didn't get his own chapters in Scarlet. So I learned about his characters,
Yet another fantastic addition to the Lunar Chronicles that adds just that little bit extra to a terrific series.
And Marissa keeps throwing new and interesting ideas. Can't wait till we meet Z again :)
The books with looks: The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5) 3 4 Apr 19, 2015 05:28PM
The Nooks of Books: The Queen's Army 1 3 Mar 13, 2015 12:24PM
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Seraphina: The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)
  • Phoenix Overture (Newsoul, #2.5)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my fiancé and our two cats. In addition to my slight obsession with books and writing, I'm big on road-tripping, wine-tasting, and hunting for antiques. I'm represented by Jill Grinberg.

CINDER, my debut novel, is a futuristic re-envisioning of Cinderella in which Cinder is a cyborg mechanic. Release date: 3 Jan 2012.
More about Marissa Meyer...

The Lunar Chronicles (4 books)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)

“He had known this was inevitable.” 3 likes