Start by marking “Monstergarten” as Want to Read:
Monstergarten

Monstergarten

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Patrick is worried about his first day of monstergarten. Everyone knows you have to beSCARY in monstergarten. Patrick’s friend, Kevin, offers to show Patrick how to be scary – they roar, they sneak up on people, they bare their teeth. But Patrick still isn’t ready. His parents tell him to just be himself. But what if he’s not scary ENOUGH? ...more
Published July 2nd 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Monstergarten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monstergarten

The Kissing Hand by Audrey PennDavid Goes To School by David ShannonMiss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph SlateThe Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha WingChu's First Day of School by Neil Gaiman
Picture Books About Kindergarten
97th out of 99 books — 7 voters
Let's Take Over the Kindergarten by Richard HamiltonHow Do Dinosaurs Go to School? by Jane YolenIf You Don't Understand, Raise Your Hand by James McDonaldNobody's Mother Is in Second Grade by Robin PulverIt's My School by Sally Grindley
Back to School (K-2)
17th out of 17 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This was a fun read. This is a great book for Kindergarten teachers to read on the first day of school, as well as for parents too. The story itself is simple to read and easy for kids to understand, while at the same time they'll be able to relate to Little Monster, Patrick and his friend Kevin. The bright, bold colors in this book will definitely grab a young reader's attention. I think kids will appreciate a story about a cute little monster, whom like them, also has some fears and worries. L ...more
Abbey Reeser
Mahoney, D. (2013). Monstergarten. New York: Feiwel and Friends.

Illustrations by Jef Kaminsky

Kevin and Patrick are two monsters who are getting ready to start kindergarten. Patrick is worried he is not scary enough for Monstergarten. His friend Kevin who thinks he is an expert at being scary and would help teach his dear friend Patrick to be scary by the time they leave for school in the morning. They practice scaring the cat, Kevin's sister and her friends but they are not successful. They spe
Memory Kopp
Sharon Lawler
YA's have zombies, 'tweens have ghosts and wizards, but the little guys love their monsters, and this book will be a popular addition to stories about the first day of school jitters.
Kristi Betts
Daniel J. Mahoney has the perfect book for young humans who will be walking through the doors of schools everywhere very soon. Monstergarten is the story of monster friends Kevin and Patrick who are trying to get their scare-on before their first day of Monstergarten (if you can't figure it out, human kiddos will be going to kindergarten - duh moment!). One of the rules of Monstergarten, you have to be scary (according to a first-grader, and everyone knows they are the experts in all things Mons ...more
Amy Whitmer
Monstergarten is the story of a monster who is getting ready to start Monstergarten but is worried he won't be scary enough. After a lot of practice and encouragement from his friend and his parents, he gets to school and finds that he is just fine the way he is.

The illustrations in this book are very bright and colorful. The monsters are mostly bold colors like red, blue, purple, and yellow. The backgrounds are mostly white without much detail so your focus remains on the different monsters.

I
Erin
This was alright. I think there are too many older kid references in it for the intended audience to get. The characters and message were still good.
Tanya
Color me surprised - the 8 YO loved this book as much as the 4 YO! It helps to give each character its own voice. :-)

Kim
Ehhhh...lots of potential but not much payoff. The illustrations are charming though.
Maxwell
I want to read this book aloud to my kindergarten students and have them act it out. Very fun book and lots of suggestive text to have the kids participate.
Jen
This book was close to being good. I liked the plot line and illustrations. I just felt there was a page or too missing--and for a kid's book, that's a lot.
Barbara
Because he simply isn't scary enough, Patrick worries about the first day of Monstergarten. His friend Kevin tries to help him be more frightening, but nothing works. But it turns out that being himself, scary or not, is exactly what Patrick needs to do. I liked how he ended up helping Kevin, who turns out not to be all that thrilled about the first day of school either. The illustrations are filled with monstrous thrills and will prompt plenty of laughter.
Jackie
A cute picture book about a frightened, young monster about to start school. He's supposed to be scary, right? What if he isn't scary enough? What if the teacher doesn't like him?

So many fears of young people are portrayed in a monsterly way in Monstergarten. Of course, everything is alright in the end...who doesn't love kindergarten? Bright, colorful, imaginative illustrations on each page.
Elizabeth
I just bought this book for our children's collection at Pine River Library in Bayfield. It is pretty cute. It features two monster friends practicing to be scary enough for Monstergarten. The story is sweet and I think it could help kids cope with anxiety about entering a new school situation. The illustrations are darling.
Cemeread
A story about two monsters who think they have to be scary for Monstergarten and how they try to prepare. There is only one page with concerns a child might have about starting school. The illustrations just didn't help the story for me.
Lisagoegan
Great first day of school book. Addresses fear and expectations: "What if I hate my teacher? What if I have to go to the bathroom?" with humour and silly fun.
Paula
Great story for first day of school jibbers. Patrick thinks he is not scary enough for monstergarten. His friend Kevin helps him get ready.
Rachel
This is about getting ready for the first day of school. It was totally not what I imagined it would be thus the low rate. Read it again later.
Rachel
Monsters have first day of school anxiety, had great kid appeal but the story and overall theme seem trite.
Wendy Kuzma
Even monsters get nervous in this cute picture book about the first-day-of-school jitters.
Beth
Even monsters are nervous about their first day of kindergarten.
Marina
It was ok. Nice illustrations.
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Lissy Rosner
Lissy Rosner marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Saturday Escape A Really Good Snowman The Perfect Clubhouse The Other Solzhenitsyn: Telling the Truth about a Misunderstood Writer and Thinker Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: The Ascent from Ideology