Start by marking “The Black Reckoning (The Books of Beginning, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Black Reckoning (The Books of Beginning, #3)

The Black Reckoning (The Books of Beginning #3)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,182 Ratings  ·  237 Reviews
The final book in the bestselling Books of Beginning trilogy that began with "The Emerald Atlas," which the "New York Times" called "a new Narnia for the tween set."
The adventures of siblings Kate, Michael, and Emma come to a stunning conclusion when they must find the last Book of Beginning--the Book of Death--before the Dire Magnus does, for when all three books are un
Published March 2015 by Random House

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanThe Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
best book for 10-15 yrs written after 2005
123rd out of 427 books — 597 voters
Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert  BeattyThe Sword of Summer by Rick RiordanMark of the Thief by Jennifer A. NielsenFish In A Tree by Lynda Mullaly HuntMonstrous by MarcyKate Connolly
Middle Grade Novels of 2015
89th out of 561 books — 848 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt
Dec 18, 2013 Matt marked it as to-read
WHERE IS THIS? WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG?

EDIT: It now has a title! Yes! And that title also makes the target and plot of this book racially ambiguous!
Lucee Lu
Apr 18, 2015 Lucee Lu rated it really liked it
Aly the Reading Rabbit
Nov 09, 2013 Aly the Reading Rabbit marked it as to-read
Why the hell is this taking so long to come out!?!?! No cover?!?! Not even a description?!?! No publishing expectation date?!?! Come on John! Get your rear in gear!

Edit October 9 2013: Well I see I have been corrected... Hmmm... We still need a cover... And I love waiting.
Allie Schwam
Aug 06, 2015 Allie Schwam marked it as ready-to-read
Please hurry!! I read the first to books and I hate waiting in suspense knowing that there's still more the of the story left to read. And also, I think the books should be a movie
Anne Gilbert
Why is it taking so long for this book #3 to come out, I've already read the books of beginning the first book and second book in the series and now I'm waiting to read the 3 rd book in the series cause the second book ends where I have to wait for the next book and these books were really awesome and I need to find out when the 3rd book will come out and hopefully soon!
Katie Rose
Jan 05, 2014 Katie Rose marked it as to-read
I NEED TO READ THIS. NOW. I need to know if Rafe turns back to a protagonist, instead of being Dire Magnus because it pains me that he's a antagonist, but since he did it out of love, he's different than all the other Dire Magnuses and therefore I hope he changes.
Dena
May 26, 2015 Dena rated it it was amazing
Great ending of the series but really sad. It wasn't really a completely happy ending, but I guess that is life. My favorite character died and I couldn't completely enjoy the book. I am glad it was finally published, though.
Lynne
Feb 05, 2016 Lynne rated it it was amazing
This series... honestly, I don't know what to say, I love it so much. This is one of those stories that will stay with you forever. So many ups and downs, so gratifying in their complexity, and so many beautiful moments of humanity and love. I'm sad to see it end, but at the same time the ending is so satisfying, and just as it should be. Thank you John Stephens. Please write lots more.
Aleshanee
Jan 24, 2016 Aleshanee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, jugendbuch, tag
Zum Inhalt

Dieses Mal geht es ohne Unterbrechung weiter und die Handlung schließt direkt an den Vorgänger an. Der grässliche Magnus rüstet zum Krieg - doch Emma, die jüngste der drei Geschwister, muss ihren eigenen Kampf ausfechten. All die Wut, die sie seit Jahren in sich trägt, spielt sie ihrem Feind in die Hände und das kleine Mädchen muss viele Hürden überwinden, um dem Schicksal zu entgehen und die Welt vor dem Untergang zu bewahren.
Aber auch ihre älteren Geschwister Kate und Michael haben e
Karissa
May 08, 2015 Karissa rated it it was amazing
This is the final book in The Books of Beginning series and ties up the story nicely. There is a lot of action and dimensional travel. I ended up enjoying it a lot.

Emma, Kate, and Michael need to get the third and final Book of Beginning, The Book of Death, before the Dire Magnus does. However, the getting of the third book is left largely to Emma; only she can journey to the Land of the Dead and retrieve The Book of Death. Additionally the three siblings have found out that The Books of Beginni
Katja Berger
Jeg må indrømme at jeg desværre ikke faldt helt så pladask for denne bog, som mange andre danske læsere gjorde. Den var ikke dårlig, men jeg synes desværre ikke at den formåede at ramme toppen – Mest af alt fordi den haltede på de samme områder som Den Rubinrøde Krønike.

Jeg var ikke helt vildt med Emmas jagt på Den Kulsorte Protokol, og jeg synes den kom utrolig nemt til hende, som om forfatteren bare skulle have det overstået, så han kunne komme videre til det endelige drama. John Stephens form
Mrs. O' Leary
Nov 10, 2014 Mrs. O' Leary rated it it was amazing
I love this series because it's appropriate for seven year olds and still highly entertaining for fifteen year olds. John Stephen reminds me of Rick Riordan in this sense. I've been reading this series since the first, The Emerald Atlas, was released. I'm sad its taking so long between books, but I understand that with as long as they are it will take a while to write. Eagerly awaiting the Wibberly family being reunited! Please hurry, John Stephens!
Claire
Nov 08, 2013 Claire rated it really liked it
Shelves:
When is this coming out? At least give me a title and a cover! I have been patiently waiting since last October, and there is still no news yet!

Yea!!!!!!!! There is a title for the book! It sounds so cool it almost makes up for all the time it will take before the book comes out.
Kim
Oct 29, 2013 Kim marked it as to-read
Excited to finally learn the pub date for this - sad to know that it is August of 2014 - but at least now I can stop hunting the date! Oh, and the name ... The Black Reckoning!
Carley
Jan 05, 2014 Carley marked it as to-read
August 5!!!!! I'll add that to the list
Emily Andrus
Jun 18, 2015 Emily Andrus rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This book was a loooooong time coming after the first two in the series. Which I read so long ago, I don't even have their reviews on this blog. Or anywhere, really. But I knew that I loved them, and waited eagerly for this one...only to be a tad disappointed. The most likely reason being that I just forgot the main parts of the story and had lost my real appreciation for it. So, I'll try to review it in a more subjective manner...

Emma is a really annoying character. But in an on-purpose, sort o
Robyn
No surprises, and far too much time spent putting up with the brat of the family, but worth reading and an enjoyable wrap-up to the series. |

I really wanted to be able to give this four stars, but I just can't. I had been looking forward to this book for ages, and over the past two days I reread books one and two so the story would be fresh in my mind. Unfortunately this just cemented that the first two books were better. All groundwork and foreshadowing of the events in book three were so blat
Karen
Apr 26, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Jodie
Jun 10, 2015 Jodie rated it liked it
If you like The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe series you may like John Stephens' 3-part series that follows three chosen siblings who must bring together three magical books to save the world from the evil Dire Magnus. This review is for the last book in the series in a story that focuses somewhat on the youngest daughter, Emma, who must find the final book, which takes her into the world of the dead. If you have read the CS Lewis books or similar YA fantasy books, you may be able to jump in ...more
Sandy Irwin
A fully satisfactory and engaging end to the trilogy. There were definitely more than one part that reminded me of both Harry Potter & The Lord of the Rings. which is why I only gave it 4 stars. But the story was interesting and exciting.
Beverly
May 02, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, children-s, 2015
Five stars for the series which is the best since Narnia. I often enjoy middle school fantasy, but this one stand out for its characters, its ambiguity, and its spirituality. There are no easy answers to the mysteries of character that this series presents. The secret of life and death we learn here is as stunning as it is simple, straight out of St. Paul, but not specifically Christian.

In this series three siblings, Kate, Michael, and, feisty Emma are raised in a number of orphanages, separate
Marie-Claire
Apr 08, 2015 Marie-Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate, Michael und Emma haben es geschafft, zwei der drei Bücher vom Anbeginn zu retten: Kate gehört das Buch Emerald, Michael ist der Wächter des Buches Rubyn. Kein noch so atemberaubendes Abenteuer und nicht die hinterlistigsten Gegner haben die drei gescheut, um dem finsteren Magier Magnus die Bücher zu entreißen – und ihre Eltern endlich zu befreien. Doch der Preis dafür ist hoch: Denn Magnus ist es gelungen, die kleine Emma zu entführen. Werden Kate und Michael ihre Schwester finden? Werden ...more
Carrie
Aug 29, 2015 Carrie rated it really liked it
Ingrid Hansen
Jun 01, 2015 Ingrid Hansen rated it liked it
Nøj hvor havde jeg glædet mig til at læse denne her bog og nøj hvor blev jeg egentlig skuffet. Jeg er faktisk ret ked af at John Stephens har lavet sådanne en middelmådig slutning på en faktisk rigtig god serie som Bøgerne fra Begyndelsen er.

Jeg elskede de to første bøger og synes de var fantastiske hver for sig. Men denne gang må jeg sige at det er lidt en ommer. Desværre.

I Den kulsorte protokol er det Emmas tur til at finde Dødens bog og blive én med den. John Stephens kommer lidt for let ovre
Alessia
Dec 26, 2015 Alessia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicole Donald
Dec 22, 2015 Nicole Donald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a great ending to the series. It started out kind of slow, but it got good. The finale was great, both exciting and emotional. (view spoiler) ...more
J.D.Staton
Oct 19, 2015 J.D.Staton rated it it was amazing
Another totally unpredictable and engaging journey involving searching for barely identified people, places, and things required for the Whimbly siblings to find their parents and save the world. Characters from the earlier two books make unexpected reappearances here, while new relationships are forged and crucial deaths occur, in the frantic quest to locate the Book of Death (the Black Reckoning) and complete the meshing of the three Books Of Beginning. The author, via the magic of the three b ...more
Megan
Jun 22, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This is not the ending I would have wanted - it wasn't as strong as the previous two installments, but it's still loads better than most of the series fiction for middle readers that's out there. I love these characters and I'm sad this is the end of my journey with them. I still believe this is the best American attempt at a Rowling-like story series. Well done. Please write more, John Stephens!
Berit
Dec 21, 2015 Berit rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Es war soooooo toll ! Nur zu empfehlen :) Habe wirklich versucht es zu genießen und es langsam zu lesen und nicht wie die beiden Bände davor. Ich liebe einfach die Story und wie sie aufgebaut ist. Das Buch ist relativ komplex und doch versteht man alles gut.
Richtig toll :D
Rebecca
Of the three Books of Beginning, two--the Emerald Atlas and the Fire Chronicle--have been retrieved. The three Wibberly children, who have spent their lives in orphanages, have now entered into many adventures in a world of magic they didn't know existed, and the time is coming for their final confrontation with the Dire Magnus, the evil magician who wants to take over the world. All he lacks is the third book, which is tied to Emma, the youngest of the siblings. After he kidnaps her, the others ...more
Goodreads Librari...: two authors, same name 3 18 Feb 23, 2015 05:10AM
Goodreads Librari...: Changed Release Date 3 27 Apr 08, 2014 05:39PM
What should the third book in the series of the books of beginning be called? 5 80 Mar 30, 2014 05:58AM
WRITE FASTER 2 6 Dec 12, 2013 01:39AM
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • Rosen und Seifenblasen (Verliebt in, #1)
  • Wanderer. Sand der Zeit (Wanderer #1)
  • The Dragonlord's Heir (The Ascalon Trilogy, #1)
  • Glasgow RAIN: Küsse im Regen
  • Rise of the Guardians Movie Novelization
  • Quest for the Secret Keeper (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #3)
  • Die Magie zwischen den Zeilen (BookElements #1)
  • How to Betray a Dragon's Hero (How to Train Your Dragon, #11)
  • Two For Eternity
  • Was ich dich träumen lasse
  • Moonkind (Winterling, #3)
  • The Dead Gentleman
  • The Ascension: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #5)
  • The Unmapped Sea (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #5)
  • Darkest Night (Department 19, #5)
  • Valley of Fires (Conquered Earth, #3)
  • Armageddon Outta Here (Skulduggery Pleasant, #8.5)
John Stephens spent ten years working in television and was executive producer of Gossip Girl and a writer for Gilmore Girls and The O.C. He holds an MFA from the University of Virginia. John and his wife have a dog named Bug and live in Los Angeles. His debut book 'The Emerald Atlas' is the first in a series of books.
More about John Stephens...

The Books of Beginning (3 books)
  • The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning, #1)
  • The Fire Chronicle (The Books of Beginning, #2)