Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)

Sky on Fire (Monument 14 #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  2,051 ratings  ·  380 reviews
Trapped in a superstore by a series of escalating disasters, including a monster hailstorm and terrifying chemical weapons spill, brothers Dean and Alex learned how to survive and worked together with twelve other kids to build a refuge from the chaos. But then strangers appeared, destroying their fragile peace, and bringing both fresh disaster and a glimmer of hope.

Knowi...more
Published May 28th 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
290th out of 1,416 books — 9,843 voters
Through the Ever Night by Veronica RossiUnravel Me by Tahereh MafiScarlet by Marissa MeyerProdigy by Marie LuEverbound by Brodi Ashton
2013 YA/MG Sequels
64th out of 109 books — 828 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
*Spoiler free for the series*

Sky on Fire, the sequel to Monument 14, is more action packed and exciting, but the writing is still filled with irritating quirks that doesn't allow me to give it a higher rating, no matter how much I might have enjoyed the rest--which was actually quite a bit.

Since we're at it, let me tell you what I mean about the writing. I knew from the first book that the author likes to write as if her readers are a little… slow? The first novel was filled with commentaries an...more
Cynn

NONONONOONONONONONONONNO

No puedo...simplemente no puedo.

Realmente intenté hacer una reseña pero todavía no encuentro cómo empezar. Sin dudas esta trilogía se está convirtiendo en una de mis favoritas.

Me hizo reir,sorprenderme, preocuparme y hasta darme escalofríos. De verdad que el final fue... ¿WHAT?.

Voy a esperar unos días más, porque tengo que reseñar esto..y tengo que hacerlo bien
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
If I reviewed this book with just one word, that word would be UGH. Honestly, I enjoyed Monument 14 when I read it last year. I'm not sure whether it's actually better than Sky on Fire or if, because of my monumental reading challenge, I was just happy to read something so fast-paced. Either way, Sky on Fire is just sad. I hate making such a pronouncement, but the quality of the writing, the flat characters, and the discomfiting portrayal of women combined to make this a horrid read for me.

Warni...more
Justin
[Rating: 4.5 stars] They should really do half stars.

”We didn’t die. Stay safe…or get to Denver.”

The brothers have separated. Alex, Niko, Sahalia, Josie, and Brayden, along with Max, Ulysses, and Batiste, have taken their old school bus to Denver Intl Airport to try to get rescued, while Dean, Astrid, Chloe, and the twins Henry and Caroline stay behind in the store, knowing that they will become O monsters once exposed to the chemicals. While Dean and the others at the store have some gang prob...more
Vixen
Wow! O_O!

Okay, this book was pretty crazy! Though, I have to admit it wasn't as crazy as the first one. And while I'm admitting, I'll go ahead and say that I honestly didn't understand the series being title Monument 14, until in this book when Alex had called them the survivors the Monument 14. That was met with a face palm and an outspoke "No Shit!"

Anyways....

Once again, I was kept entertained and immediately pulled--DOVE--into the story. Easily reading through and being able to remember and...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
There really aren’t that many post-apocalyptic trilogies I truly enjoy, but the raw realism of Laybourne’s apocalyptic vision, the sheer probability of it all, is what makes her series stand out in the sea of post-apocalyptic reads out there. The point of these books, I think, is to convince the readers they’re entirely possible, and with Monument 14, my mind was free of doubts from the start.

In Sky of Fire, our small group of young survivors split into two groups. The larger group, lead by Nico...more
Cherie
At first I definately did not like it. It seemed a little too YA for my. Like - for 14 year old boys. The bus driving over bodies, etc. I wanted to put it out into the rain.

Then it became more interesting. Why? Maybe the characters just grew on me. All kids. Five year old twins to 17 year olds. Blood types determine how the people react to toxins in the air and water. They all have to wear gas masks and multiple layers of clothing if they are going to be exposed to the outside air. I am reading...more
Jenn
2.5

This book was extremely hard for me to get through. I enjoyed Monument 14. It wasn’t without its faults, but the overall story was okay. I was extremely interested in reading the sequel because I wanted to know how everything turned out. Would the kids be saved? Would they make it to Denver? Would they find their families? Honestly, halfway through the book, I just didn’t care anymore.

Maybe it was me. I know, personally, I’m not a fan of end of the world type scenarios where it showcases the...more
Shawna
It's not very often that a sequel is just as if not better than the first book. But this one totally delivered!

"Sky on Fire" picks up right where "Monument 14" left off. We alternate between brothers Dean and Alex's POV.

Half of the kids have left the safety of the Greenway to seek help at the Denver Airport. The bus is running and stocked. Faced with unimaginable obstacles, the kids slowly make their way through what are now nothing but wastelands. Will they make it?

The other half are still insi...more
Bookish♥Sarah

♥ Find my reviews here: Literary Meanderings

- - -

**Contains spoilers for the first book in the series—Monument 14**

Sky on Fire picks up immediately after the events of it's predecessor. The original group of kids & teens has split into two parts. Most of them are on the school bus, heading for the Denver International Airport—a place they were told would offer help to an injured friend and help organize a rescue party for those left behind. Among those on the Denver-bound bus is Alex, brothe...more
Jen Ryland
Apr 20, 2013 Jen Ryland added it
Shelves: atw-tour
Sky On Fire begins with recap in the form of a letter written by one of the characters. I should have been happy about this, but it freaked me out. There are a lot of characters in these books, and I was afraid I couldn't keep them all straight. If this happens to you, don't panic. Just keep on reading. It will all come back to you in time.

As Sky On Fire begins, our plucky group of kid survivors has divided into two groups: the group that wants to stay inside the Greenway, and the group that wan...more
laurdes
woow.. to je proste takovy to, kdyz chcete jit brzo spat, v jedenact si reknete "tak jednu kapitolu" a za dve a ctvrt hodky mate prectenej celej druhej monument 14 :D
Lacey
Dec 13, 2012 Lacey marked it as to-read
I. CAN'T. WAIT. TO. READ.
I read the first book, And at the end, I was pretty pissed that it left me hanging cause I thought there wasn't going to be A second! Woo!
Kyle
Oct 14, 2012 Kyle marked it as to-read
Cover is kind of crappy, and I was so sure this would be called Monument 5. Still, I'm so excited for this, since the first one was surprisingly enjoyable! : )
Linda♡
Increíble. Sencillamente increíble.

Si me encantó Monument 14, puedo decir que Sky on Fire me ha enamorado. Es grandioso.

El libro está narrado ésta vez no sólo por Dean si no también por su hermano, Alex. Ellos están separados buscando sobrevivir y se enfrentan a el triple de peligros y desgracias que antes. No se imaginan todo lo que tienen que pasar estos chicos para seguir con vida. A pesar de que el libro es muy sencillo en cuanto a su narración eso no impide engancharse con la historia y en...more
Shaz Goodwin
I read the first book, Monument 14 in April 2013 (you can read my review here). It was a ‘keeper’ for me. I was looking forward to continuing this story with Sky on Fire but a little apprehensive that it wouldn’t grab me as much!

I thought beginning with a letter from Alex saying who was where was a great way to refresh memories and for anyone starting with this book, gives enough of the backstory to be able to read this as a stand-alone.

Following Alex on the journey to Denver and his brother Dea...more
Krista (Nawanda Files)
May 29, 2013 Krista (Nawanda Files) marked it as review-by-becca
Shelves: 2013, macmillan, arc
Reviewed by Becca at Nawanda Files

4 Stars

Sky on Fire picks up right where Monument 14 left off. Perhaps the greatest difference is the size of the book (it's much smaller this time around) and that Alex, Dean's brother, is a second narrator. The same cast of characters were there. The unflappable Nico (my favorite) and the motherly Josie take half the kids towards Denver in hopes of evacuating the toxic parts of the country.

The same things I loved about the first book still remained. The strong...more
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
Sally Kruger
Only twelve days have passed since the apocalyptic hailstorm and earthquake that devastated Monument, Colorado. While other parts of the country were experiencing their own horrific events, Monument and the surrounding area was hit by not only what mother nature handed out, but also by a man-made disaster when a crippling warfare compound was leaked from the nearby NORAD facility.

Fourteen children were stranded in a Greenway superstore in Monument and forced to survive on their own. Now after ho...more
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I won this book and the first one from a blog giveaway!

I finished the first book, Monument 14, in record time. It was fast paced, intense, and everything I wanted it to be. Because of that, I was very glad I had the second one at my fingertips to start reading right away.

Sky on Fire takes place very shortly after Monument 14 ends. The two brothers have now been separated and by necessity, we get the POV broken up between the two of them so we can see what happens to each of the groups. We start...more
Annette
Sky on Fire is an excellent second book in the Monument 14 series.

The group is split at the end of Monument 14. Sky on Fire is narrated from two perspectives: Alex, who is on the move, and Dean who is still in the superstore. Both groups are not having an easy time. They continue to encounter severe obstacles -- usually other people wanting to steal the few supplies they have.

Laybourne isn't afraid to kill off our heroes, so be prepared. But I really appreciate that in a story -- it makes it so...more
Megan (Book Brats)
Every so often, a series comes around where you know it has problems in the way it handles issues, but something about it nags your heart until you give in and admit that you’re actually quite a fan. Maybe not a fan of the writing, or the characters, or the situations, but it’s a fun little book with a very engaging story, lots of action, and a pace that keeps you in your seat and propels you forward. You say, “Just another chapter,” but soon you’ve reached the ending wondering where two hours h...more
Savannah (Books With Bite)
A heart-pounding race against time, I really enjoyed this book!

So the plot goes back and forth between the kids that leave and the kids that stayed behind at the store. If you have not read the first book, I suggest you do. Told from different point of views, each set of kids faces much trouble ahead of them. The plot never fails to give good entertainment and within the first few chapters, the reader has a good feel for plot. I really like that in this book you can really tell the growth differ...more
Valentina
This is the second book in the Monument 14 series, a post-apocalyptic young adult series that actually manages to stay original and very frightening.
It’s rare to find sequels that are better than the first book, but I think this one fits the case. I thought at it was much more tense than the first one, the edge-of-you-seat feeling remains pretty much from beginning to end. The plot is fresh, with no zombies or vampires or anything like that, just basic human nature. Oh, and toxic compounds, but...more
Zoe
If you're interested, my review of the first book in the series - Monument 14 - is right over here!
Sky on Fire is one of the best books I've read in a long time! These books have everything - dystopian elements, romance, suspense, and an always-evident sense of danger and urgency. This series has done nothing but impress me, and for that, Mrs. Laybourne, I salute you!

image

I rarely read sequels - if ever. However, Laybourne's Monument 14 had me hooked! And if I ever do read sequels, I always (99% of...more
Melissa ( Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf)
I adored Monument 14 and had high expectations for it's sequel Sky on Fire. I was not disappointed. At the end of book 1, our original group of fourteen splits into two factions, one staying inside the Greenway and the other taking the bus and heading to Denver. Now we get to see how each of these groups fared and whether they made the "right" choice.

Alex and Dean share the narrating in this book and I love that we get a glimpse into each of their minds. The pacing is perfect...it's a fairly sho...more
Camryn
Sky on Fire was so good. I loved how the chapters switched between Dean and Alex. To be honest, when the army guys came into greenway I actually had to take a break. I was so scared that they were going to either find the rest of the kids and kill them or just kill Dean and Jake right off the bat. It just made me sad that they had made it all this way and then were going to potentially be killed by some totally annoying guys. And the fact that the twins' dad almost left without them at the end k...more
Emily
This book was enjoyable enough. It was super fast paced, compelling story, solid concept.. the story and world were there, even when the writing and character development lagged. Which, by the way, I was totally fine with. This is curious, because I usually read for those traits, and often tune out story and setting.

If the characters had been more fleshed out, if I had connected with any of them, it probably would have been too stressful for this wimpy girl to read. There were parts of it that w...more
Jenni
Sky on Fire is a great addition to Monument 14. It doesn't suffer from middle book syndrome at all. Things happen, the characters go places, relationships progress, etc. I'm very pleased with how the story progressed.

One major difference between Sky on Fire and Monument 14 is that instead of having only Dean's point-of-view, we also get to have his younger brother Alex's point-of-view as well. Alex is very analytical and Dean is more people/emotion oriented. The differences in their points-of-vi...more
Ben Alderson
AMAZING! Great sequel ! :D
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
  • The Saints (Quarantine, #2)
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • False Sight (False Memory, #2)
  • No Easy Way Out (No Safety in Numbers, #2)
  • BZRK: Reloaded (BZRK, #2)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • The Fallout (The Compound, #2)
  • Unfed (Undead, #2)
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
  • Naturals (The Lost Souls, #2)
  • Coda (Coda #1)
  • The Rule of Three
  • A Matter of Days
  • 1.4 (Point 4, #2)
  • The Originals
  • Resist (Breathe, #2)

Emmy Laybourne is a novelist, writing teacher and former character actress. Emmy has recently finished the final installment to the MONUMENT 14 trilogy: SAVAGE DRIFT, which will be released in May 2014. She is now working on a new YA thriller, SWEET. Emmy lives outside New York City with her husband, two kids and a flock of 5 nifty chickens.

Emmy began her writing career as a playwright. The first...more
More about Emmy Laybourne...
Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1) Dress Your Marines in White (Monument 14, #0.5) Jake and the Other Girl (Monument 14, #1.5) Savage Drift (Monument 14, #3) Un ciel en feu (Seuls au monde #2)

“Monopoly belonged to me and Alex. It was our game and they would never understand. There were strategies and traditions and they would never get all its complexities.
I didn't want them to play it.
I strode to the Toy Department for another divider, thinking that I would never play Monopoly with anyone besides Alex, ever. Ever, ever, ever, ever.
It was possible I was behaving somewhat like a child.”
0 likes