Start by marking “Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)

Sky on Fire (Monument 14 #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  6,415 ratings  ·  841 reviews
Trapped in a superstore by a series of escalating disasters, including a monster hailstorm and terrifying chemical weapons spill, brothers Dean and Alex learned how to survive and worked together with twelve other kids to build a refuge from the chaos. But then strangers appeared, destroying their fragile peace, and bringing both fresh disaster and a glimmer of hope.

Published May 28th 2013 by Feiwel & Friends (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sky on Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sky on Fire

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadProdigy by Marie Lu
YA Novels of 2013
288th out of 1,532 books — 10,728 voters
Unravel Me by Tahereh MafiThrough the Ever Night by Veronica RossiScarlet by Marissa MeyerProdigy by Marie LuEverbound by Brodi Ashton
2013 YA/MG Sequels
65th out of 114 books — 827 voters

More lists with this book...

OOOOOH! this is my 2,000th review! think hard about balloons and cake and it will be like we are having a celebration!

this book is 215 pages. and that's 215 YA pages, with all the normative font/margins/pacing of YA. which means you can read this book in an hour or so. now for me, doing my "catch-up on YA series i started and never finished" program it's fine, cuz i have the third book right here ready to go. but how very frustrating for people who were reading this series as it was published, t
*Spoiler free for the series*

Sky on Fire, the sequel to Monument 14, is more action packed and exciting, but the writing is still filled with irritating quirks that doesn't allow me to give it a higher rating, no matter how much I might have enjoyed the rest--which was actually quite a bit.

Since we're at it, let me tell you what I mean about the writing. I knew from the first book that the author likes to write as if her readers are a little… slow? The first novel was filled with commentaries an
Sarah Churchill
A fantastic continuation of the story with a lot of action and emotion. As with book 1 the inclusion of both teenagers AND little kids is what makes me feel so invested in the characters, and a little bit teary a couple of times! I enjoyed the dual POV of Alex and Dean, two brothers that we're separated in book 1 and have their own battles to fight throughout the story, it's nice to have two very different voices but both gunning for the same outcome - basically to survive and rescue these kids. ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
If I reviewed this book with just one word, that word would be UGH. Honestly, I enjoyed Monument 14 when I read it last year. I'm not sure whether it's actually better than Sky on Fire or if, because of my monumental reading challenge, I was just happy to read something so fast-paced. Either way, Sky on Fire is just sad. I hate making such a pronouncement, but the quality of the writing, the flat characters, and the discomfiting portrayal of women combined to make this a horrid read for me.

No puedo...simplemente no puedo.

Realmente intenté hacer una reseña pero todavía no encuentro cómo empezar. Sin dudas esta trilogía se está convirtiendo en una de mis favoritas.

Me hizo reir,sorprenderme, preocuparme y hasta darme escalofríos. De verdad que el final fue... ¿WHAT?.

Voy a esperar unos días más, porque tengo que reseñar esto..y tengo que hacerlo bien
Rating: 4 Stars

My Opinion of This Book: Definitely better than the first book!

Wow..this book. Guys, I basically hated the first book, but I decided to give this series another chance. So I go to Barnes & Noble, pick it up, and expect to just read one or two chapters (because, you know, the first one was bad, so why would this be good?), but instead I read the whole entire thing. In one sitting. At B&N. I haven't finished a book in one sit
[Rating: 4.5 stars] They should really do half stars.

”We didn’t die. Stay safe…or get to Denver.”

The brothers have separated. Alex, Niko, Sahalia, Josie, and Brayden, along with Max, Ulysses, and Batiste, have taken their old school bus to Denver Intl Airport to try to get rescued, while Dean, Astrid, Chloe, and the twins Henry and Caroline stay behind in the store, knowing that they will become O monsters once exposed to the chemicals. While Dean and the others at the store have some gang pro
Wow! O_O!

Okay, this book was pretty crazy! Though, I have to admit it wasn't as crazy as the first one. And while I'm admitting, I'll go ahead and say that I honestly didn't understand the series being title Monument 14, until in this book when Alex had called them the survivors the Monument 14. That was met with a face palm and an outspoke "No Shit!"

Once again, I was kept entertained and immediately pulled--DOVE--into the story. Easily reading through and being able to remember and
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
There really aren’t that many post-apocalyptic trilogies I truly enjoy, but the raw realism of Laybourne’s apocalyptic vision, the sheer probability of it all, is what makes her series stand out in the sea of post-apocalyptic reads out there. The point of these books, I think, is to convince the readers they’re entirely possible, and with Monument 14, my mind was free of doubts from the start.

In Sky of Fire, our small group of young survivors split into two groups. The larger group, lead by Nico

This book was extremely hard for me to get through. I enjoyed Monument 14. It wasn’t without its faults, but the overall story was okay. I was extremely interested in reading the sequel because I wanted to know how everything turned out. Would the kids be saved? Would they make it to Denver? Would they find their families? Honestly, halfway through the book, I just didn’t care anymore.

Maybe it was me. I know, personally, I’m not a fan of end of the world type scenarios where it showcases the
woow.. to je proste takovy to, kdyz chcete jit brzo spat, v jedenact si reknete "tak jednu kapitolu" a za dve a ctvrt hodky mate prectenej celej druhej monument 14 :D
It's not very often that a sequel is just as if not better than the first book. But this one totally delivered!

"Sky on Fire" picks up right where "Monument 14" left off. We alternate between brothers Dean and Alex's POV.

Half of the kids have left the safety of the Greenway to seek help at the Denver Airport. The bus is running and stocked. Faced with unimaginable obstacles, the kids slowly make their way through what are now nothing but wastelands. Will they make it?

The other half are still insi

Find my reviews here: Literary Meanderings

- - -

**Contains spoilers for the first book in the series—Monument 14**

Sky on Fire picks up immediately after the events of it's predecessor. The original group of kids & teens has split into two parts. Most of them are on the school bus, heading for the Denver International Airport—a place they were told would offer help to an injured friend and help organize a rescue party for those left behind. Among those on the Denver-bound bus is Alex, brother
Dean sitzt noch immer mit Astrid, Chloe und den Zwillingen im Greenway, einem Einkaufszentrum fest. Die anderen sind inzwischen mit dem Bus unterwegs zum Flughafen in Denver, dort wartet angeblich das Militär und Evakuierungstrups. Doch natürlich warten auf der Reise einige Gefahren und so kommt es dass eine Bande von Rekruten den Bus stürmen, Niko und seine Freunde raus schmeißen und zum Greenway fahren.

Der zweite Band der 'Monument 14'-Reihe hat mir genauso gut gefallen wir der erste Band. Th
I have never read the first book, yet I had picked up a copy of the second one before realizing it was book two. However, despite this fact I was able to jump right into this book and start reading. There was a nice, quick overview of what had happened in the first book and who the main characters were and their main objective. Each child played a part in the overall story as a whole. No one was a wallflower.

This is probably one of the better dystopian books to read. It felt believable and the s
This was a fantastic follow up to Monument 14! Full of non stop action and suspense. I read it all in one sitting!
DAYvid Hewitt (the biblioflick buff)

I am disappointed in the second book (not disappointed because it sucked or bad but it is shorter than the first one, the shortest in the trilogy... so not much have happened.)

So the second started where the book one ended (immediately). It is told in two alternating POVs (Dean & Alex), with Dean telling the story on what is happening in the Greenway Mall and Alex telling on their journey to Denver.

Dean counting the days until (view spoiler)
So the Os Dean, A
This was an okay story, and it was a little more interesting than book 1, but the characters just annoyed me with how stupid they were!

Dean and co were a bit stupid for not thinking about what they’d do after everyone left, and how they would get rid of the toxins in the air (never mind the dead bodies they needed to deal with!).
The other lot were a bit stupid in not considering how dangerous it might be to leave the store, and how good they had it there!
All of them were absolutely gullible and
Nadine Brandes
There's really one word to describe this book: intense

I sweat more reading this book than with my best workout. The ending. What can I say? The ending. I don't think I was breathing. If this ever turns into a movie, the audience may just pass out.

We followed the split group: team one (main character: Alex) out in the wilderness trying to get to the Denver Airport for rescue and team two (main character: Dean) still stuck in the Greenway. At first I was skeptical about how it now followed both Al
Bayram F.
Monument 14: Sky on Fire by Emmy Laybourne is the sequel to Monument 14 and the second book in the trilogy. I bought my copy of Monument 14: Sky on Fire about a week after buying Monument 14 and read it one or two weeks after. It had a good amount of improvements over the previous book and I enjoyed it even more than I did the other one.

Emmy Laybourne continued the story of Dean and the kids stuck in the Greenway with Monument 14: Sky on Fire, only this time the story is split into two POV's. On
Riley Blue
Increíble. Sencillamente increíble.

Si me encantó Monument 14, puedo decir que Sky on Fire me ha enamorado. Es grandioso.

El libro está narrado ésta vez no sólo por Dean si no también por su hermano, Alex. Ellos están separados buscando sobrevivir y se enfrentan a el triple de peligros y desgracias que antes. No se imaginan todo lo que tienen que pasar estos chicos para seguir con vida. A pesar de que el libro es muy sencillo en cuanto a su narración eso no impide engancharse con la historia y en
At first I definately did not like it. It seemed a little too YA for my. Like - for 14 year old boys. The bus driving over bodies, etc. I wanted to put it out into the rain.

Then it became more interesting. Why? Maybe the characters just grew on me. All kids. Five year old twins to 17 year olds. Blood types determine how the people react to toxins in the air and water. They all have to wear gas masks and multiple layers of clothing if they are going to be exposed to the outside air. I am reading
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I won this book and the first one from a blog giveaway!

I finished the first book, Monument 14, in record time. It was fast paced, intense, and everything I wanted it to be. Because of that, I was very glad I had the second one at my fingertips to start reading right away.

Sky on Fire takes place very shortly after Monument 14 ends. The two brothers have now been separated and by necessity, we get the POV broken up between the two of them so we can see what happens to each of the groups. We start
Shaz Goodwin
I read the first book, Monument 14 in April 2013 (you can read my review here). It was a ‘keeper’ for me. I was looking forward to continuing this story with Sky on Fire but a little apprehensive that it wouldn’t grab me as much!

I thought beginning with a letter from Alex saying who was where was a great way to refresh memories and for anyone starting with this book, gives enough of the backstory to be able to read this as a stand-alone.

Following Alex on the journey to Denver and his brother Dea
Sky on Fire is an excellent second book in the Monument 14 series.

The group is split at the end of Monument 14. Sky on Fire is narrated from two perspectives: Alex, who is on the move, and Dean who is still in the superstore. Both groups are not having an easy time. They continue to encounter severe obstacles -- usually other people wanting to steal the few supplies they have.

Laybourne isn't afraid to kill off our heroes, so be prepared. But I really appreciate that in a story -- it makes it so
Apr 20, 2013 Jen added it
Shelves: atw-tour
Sky On Fire begins with recap in the form of a letter written by one of the characters. I should have been happy about this, but it freaked me out. There are a lot of characters in these books, and I was afraid I couldn't keep them all straight. If this happens to you, don't panic. Just keep on reading. It will all come back to you in time.

As Sky On Fire begins, our plucky group of kid survivors has divided into two groups: the group that wants to stay inside the Greenway, and the group that wan
Savannah (Books With Bite)
A heart-pounding race against time, I really enjoyed this book!

So the plot goes back and forth between the kids that leave and the kids that stayed behind at the store. If you have not read the first book, I suggest you do. Told from different point of views, each set of kids faces much trouble ahead of them. The plot never fails to give good entertainment and within the first few chapters, the reader has a good feel for plot. I really like that in this book you can really tell the growth differ
If you're interested, my review of the first book in the series - Monument 14 - is right over here!
Sky on Fire is one of the best books I've read in a long time! These books have everything - dystopian elements, romance, suspense, and an always-evident sense of danger and urgency. This series has done nothing but impress me, and for that, Mrs. Laybourne, I salute you!

I rarely read sequels - if ever. However, Laybourne's Monument 14 had me hooked! And if I ever do read sequels, I always (99% o
Melissa ( Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf)
I adored Monument 14 and had high expectations for it's sequel Sky on Fire. I was not disappointed. At the end of book 1, our original group of fourteen splits into two factions, one staying inside the Greenway and the other taking the bus and heading to Denver. Now we get to see how each of these groups fared and whether they made the "right" choice.

Alex and Dean share the narrating in this book and I love that we get a glimpse into each of their minds. The pacing is's a fairly sho
  • Sunrise (Ashfall, #3)
  • The Saints (Quarantine, #2)
  • Rage Within (Dark Inside, #2)
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
  • Nepřítel mého nepřítele (Bavettovi, #2)
  • Resist (Breathe, #2)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • The Uprising (The Forsaken, #2)
  • Altered (Crewel World, #2)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • 1.4 (Point 4, #2)
  • A Matter of Days
  • In a Handful of Dust (Not a Drop to Drink, #2)
  • The Prey (The Hunt, #2)
  • Deep Betrayal (Lies Beneath, #2)
  • Fire and Ash (Benny Imura, #4)
  • The Fallout (The Compound, #2)
  • No Easy Way Out (No Safety in Numbers, #2)

Emmy Laybourne is a novelist, public speaker, screenwriter and former character actress.

Emmy’s Monument 14 trilogy has earned critical praise ("Frighteningly real… riveting" - New York Times Book Review, Editor’s Choice) and has been nominated by readers to the YALSA Teens Top Ten in 2013 and won in 2014.!

Emmy’s new book SWEET tells the story of a luxury cruise to launch a new diet sweetener that
More about Emmy Laybourne...

Monument 14 (4 books)
  • Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1)
  • The Most Important Meeting In My Life by Max Skolnik (Monument 14, Short Story)
  • Savage Drift (Monument 14, #3)
Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1) Savage Drift (Monument 14, #3) Dress Your Marines in White (Monument 14, #0.5) Sweet Jake and the Other Girl (Monument 14, #1.5)

“And then I saw Niko. He had sunk down to his knees and had his face in his hands.
I went over to him.
"You did it," I said. "You saved us."
"Yeah," he moaned, "but I lost her.”
“Monopoly belonged to me and Alex. It was our game and they would never understand. There were strategies and traditions and they would never get all its complexities.
I didn't want them to play it.
I strode to the Toy Department for another divider, thinking that I would never play Monopoly with anyone besides Alex, ever. Ever, ever, ever, ever.
It was possible I was behaving somewhat like a child.”