Start by marking “The Darkest Kiss” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Kiss

The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  43,312 Ratings  ·  1,469 Reviews
He is ultimate darkness—and all-consuming desire…

Though she has lived for centuries, Anya, goddess of anarchy, has never known pleasure. Until she meets Lucien, the incarnation of death—a warrior eternally doomed to take souls to the hereafter. He draws her like no other. And Anya will risk anything to have him.

But when the merciless Lord of the Underworld is ordered by th
Published April 30th 2013 by Harlequin (first published June 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Kiss, please sign up.

Amy M. Brobst Each book features a different warrior- i.e. The Darkest Night had Maddox (Violence) and Ashlyn, The Darkest Kiss has Lucien (Death) and Anya, and so…moreEach book features a different warrior- i.e. The Darkest Night had Maddox (Violence) and Ashlyn, The Darkest Kiss has Lucien (Death) and Anya, and so and so forth.(less)

Candace
While I expected this book to be really great, it ended up just being a middle of the road type of read for me. This was definitely a case of "it's not you, it's me", as there wasn't a single thing "wrong" with this story. Mostly, I think it is just a result of reading some phenomenal books recently, which has kind of raised the bar. Any other week, it probably would've been a 4-star read.

That being said, I found myself losing interest in this book. I was listening to the Audible version and the
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

He was known as The Dark One. Malach ha-Maet. Yama. Azreal. Shadow Walker. Mairya. King of the Dead. He was all of those things and more, for he was a Lord of the Underworld.

This one was sooo much better than the first, with two awesome main characters and a great story :)
I really loved it :)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Lucien, the Lord who carries the demon of Death, gets an order from Cronus, the King of the Titans, to kill someone.
That someone is Anya, the goddess of anarchy, who has been following him for months.
Anya i
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I loved this book. Lucien was absolutely sigh-worthy to me. So sad and lonely. And, he got his very own heroine who wouldn't give up on him. I think it took some major confidence to go after her man full throttle the way Anya did. From the beginning, I knew I would like Anya. She was the kind of heroine who knows what she wants, and is willing to work for it. Yes, she's a prankster, rather silly, in her own words, and not much for telling the truth, and she can be a pain in the butt at times. Bu ...more
kristina
Jul 17, 2013 kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

Lucien

Anya

Lucien is the Lord who is possessed by the spirit of death .We could characterize him as miserable since he is feeling bad and unworthy due to his looks .He has mismatched eyes and long time ago he decided to scar his own face. As we read he isn’t the happy and funny type. However he managed to draw Anya’s attention and she's following him for months.
Anya is the goddess of Anarchy and definitely bad news for Lucien .She is courageous, fearless, dynamic and way different than him .She d
Michelle
Sep 02, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Death & The Goddess Stars!
This is the second book in the Lords of the Underworld PNR series. I loved it more than the first one. This was Lucien and Anya's story.
Lucien is cursed with the death demon. You know...someone dies and he goes off to collect their soul and escorts them to Heaven or Hell.
Anya is the Goddess of Anarchy. I loved her so much in the last book and loved her more in this one. She's fierce, funny and does and says what the hell she wants. She wants Lucien.
Lucien was i
Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤
"She kissed and nipped at his face, her hands tangling into his hair. “I thought I’d lost you.” “You gave up everything for me.”

I enjoyed this book a lot!!Anya is one of my favorite heroine after Danika!!She was so funny,strong and so sexy!!Exactly what Lucien needed!!Both of them had serious issues!

Omg poor Lucien!!He is so tortured..I really felt sorry for him when I learnt how he got his scars!I loved the sexual tension between them, it was so entertaining!The romance was also good and I lik
Exina
“You stabbed me,” he said, incredulous. Grimacing, he jerked out the now-bloody dagger and rubbed a hand over the wound, then looked down at his drenched, crimson-stained fingers. Anger overrode the incredulity.
“Feel free to keep the dagger as a souvenir.”

July 22, 2013

The Darkest Kiss is the second book of the Lords of the Underworld series, the story of Lucien, Keeper of Death, and Anya, goddess of Anarchy.

Lucien is resigned with his occupation as the escort of souls Heaven and Hell, co
Ana {The Good Gif Fairy}
 photo giphy_zpsokuwzqvq.gif

By Thor's hammer, this book is fantastic! And yes, I skipped the first book and went straight for second. That's just how I roll.

photo tumblr_ngp6c0EDjB1rx3wtro1_400_zpsgfde9ys6.gif
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
Jan 24, 2011 Peep (Pop! Pop!) rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crazy people like me
Perhaps I spoke too soon regarding this series? I was surprised to see that this book had higher ratings than the first book? What gives, folks? I was really unimpressed with this one. My ratings ranged from 1 to 3 stars in the book, never anything higher than that. Yes, I know I said I liked a touch of ridiculousness, but the keyword was a touch of ridiculous! Not absurd.... which is exactly what I got throughout the book.

Lucien was not a bad hero. I did not like that he was weak or losing for
Eleni Ouzouni
“Apparently, dancing for him and throwing herself at him weren't enough. Apparently, she had to nearly commit murder to arouse him enough to attack her.”

Όπως είχαμε δει και στο πρώτο βιβλίο οι Έλληνες θεοί έχουν ανατραπεί και την θέση τους έχουν πάρει οι σκληρή Τιτάνες. Οι άρχοντες για να να μπορέσουν να νικήσουν τους Τιτάνες πρέπει να βρουν το καλά κρυμμένο κουτί της Πανδώρας πριν το κανουν οι εχθροί τους. Ένα έργο που ακούγετε πολύ πιο εύκολο στα λόγια παρά στις πράξεις. Ο Lucien οδηγεί την δι
Elle
4.5 STARS!

The Darkest Kiss is one of my most fave read in LOTU series. Ugh Lucien... I have a special spot for scared man. As an incarnation of death, he has very 'important' job to escort the soul. He's the only person who have Teleportation to places also the boss in this group.

Pros:
+ As the (minor) Goddess of Anarchy, Anya is the most bad-ass heroine I've ever met. She's brave and very mouthy ;) She really likes drive him mad.
+ Lucien
+ I liked both Lucien and Anya. They're really completing
Fran
2.5 Stars

I really thought I was going to love this but it didn't work for me. I enjoyed the beginning--so hot!--but for some reason, I just lost interest in the end. I probably wouldn't even have finished if I didn't skim through the last several chapters. But judging by the high ratings from my Goodreads friends, perhaps it was a case of it's not you, it's me.
Anna
Jul 11, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delicious, scarred and irresistible Lucien ...more
Kellie Maddox-Ward
Photobucket

THE BACK STORY

Long ago twelve immortals warriors made by Zeus, became jealous of Pandora she was chosen to guard a box. Inside that box housed some of the most dangerous demons ever known. The Immortals made a horrible mistake of killing Pandora and opening the box. As punishment for the evil they have unleashed each warrior was sentenced to carry one of those demons for all eternity. They are - Violence, Pain, Death, Disease, Disaster, Misery, Doubt, Promiscuity, Defeat, Lies, Secrets, and W
Buggy
Opening Line: " Anya, Goddess of Anarchy, daughter of Lawlessness, and dealer of disorder, stood on the edge of a crowded dance floor."

THE DARKEST KISS is book 2 in the exciting and original Lords Of The Underworld series and it's absolutely fantastic. Gena Showalter has outdone herself here, further developing previous characters and sub-plots she has also created my new favourite couple in Lucian and Anya. Their story is filled with raw emotion, tons of sexual tension and non-stop adventure. T
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
4 STARS ...more
Eastofoz
Mar 28, 2010 Eastofoz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LOTU series readers & those who can handle a royal pain of a heroine
Shelves: paranormal, 2010
It took me over a year to read this book. I’d pick it up and put it down countless times because Anya is just one the most annoying heroines ever written. She drives you round the bend like nails on a chalkboard. The heroine and the hero really ruin what could have been an otherwise good story which pretty much explains why I could only hack this book in small doses.

The backdrop of the story continues on from book 1 in the Lords of the Underworld series where these warriors have all inherited a
Glamdring
May 18, 2014 Glamdring rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just LOVED reading that book. Anya and Lucien are with Aeron and Olivia my favorite couple of this series. Anya, the minor goddess of anarchy, is just hilarious. Gena Showalter created an heroine who is all at once sassy, irreverent, full of mischief and sensitive. With Lucien who hosts Death they are the perfect match.
Gary
Sep 27, 2015 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
even better than the first book five stars all the way I think anya is great as nuts as can be but great
Bry
Well I certainly enjoyed this book much better than the first in the series, and think that I will now continue on with the series so I am glad I decided to give it another chance.

I think I just enjoyed Lucian and Anya's characters much more than Maddox and Ashlyn. They seemed so complex and they each had so many layers to the emotions and actions. Although I must say the plot in this book was pretty thin. It did do a good job of picking up mini story lines from the previous book (like Aeron, D
Julie (jjmachshev)
May 19, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
My, my, my. I don't know how I'm going to wait another month for the final book in this trilogy by Gena Showalter. I really enjoyed the first book "The Darkest Night" (see my review), but I just loved "The Darkest Kiss". And the hunk on the cover...whew, hold on to your hats ladies, cause he's one steaming hunk of manhood, er demonhood?

He is Death. Since he was the leader of his men and released the demons from the box, it's only fitting that the demon he houses is Death. His job is to ferry the
Jen (Red Hot Books)
As much as I loved, The Darkest Night, I think I may just love this one a bit more. Why? Because I'm a sucker for a tortured hero, that's why. And Lucien fits the bill in a big way. He is one of the Lords of the Underworld, immortal warriors cursed to each hold a demon's soul inside his body. Lucien's demon is Death itself. He's lived a long, lonely existence. He fell in love once, hundreds of years ago, but was forced to ferry his woman's soul to the Otherworld. It was just too much for him to ...more
Renee Nicole

"This doesn't have to be messy, Anya."

"Hell yes, it does."

description

The Goddess of Anarchy (her friends call her Anya) has a thing for one of the Lords of the Underworld. He's got intriguing and mismatched eyes, scars all over his body, he's quiet, brooding, and never cracks a smile. And she should know... she's been stalking him for weeks.

Catching Lucien's attention seems to be a lesson in futility for Anya. Add that to the fact that he's been summoned to kill her, and it seems hopeless. But even Death h
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
I think Anya has to be my favourite female so far. She's much more entertaining and she's just so hilarious. She's a big leap from Ashlyn and Danika, but she's worth it. My favorite parts have to be when Anya, Lucien and William are together. The chemistry flies!

Speaking of chemistry, Lucien and Anya are hot together. They may be my favorite pairing out of the books I have read so far, although Scar and Gid are also up there.

There's always one thing I wish there was more of in Showalter's writi
Hanife
Rating; 3.5/5

Yazara Paris ile beni seriye kancalama hamlesiyle gıcık olmuş bulunmaktayım. Onun kitabına daha yedi kitap var olduğunu görmedim sanma yazar! Düşmeyeceğim şu anlık o tuzağına. Kahretsin ki merakım dürtüldü bir kere. Neyse geçer bunlarda yavrucuğum, unutursun diyerek yeni kitabıma yelken açıyorum. Ayrıca o kısacık sahnede, bütün kitapta çiftimize hissettiğimden daha çok heyecan hissettim püüüüüü sana Lucien. İlk başta sen "Hayır!" dedin sonra Anya senden aldı bayrağı sürdürdü. Resmen
Chrissa Vasileiou
Mar 21, 2015 Chrissa Vasileiou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Αυτοί δεν είναι Άρχοντες του Κάτω Κόσμου,είναι ΘΕΟΙ ΟΛΩΝ ΤΩΝ ΔΙΑΣΤΑΣΕΩΝ! Τι να φτουρήσει ο Κρόνος μπροστά στο Λούσιεν;;!!Και τι να φτουρήσουν τα 5 αστεράκια για να βαθμολογήσω ΑΥΤΟ το βιβλίο!!; Όλα τα είχε - ρομάντζο, έρωτα, χιούμορ, δράση, ποικιλία(λες και θα βαριόμουν ας πούμε αν διάβαζα μόνο για το Λούσιεν,το Λούσιεν και το Λούσιεν..Α ναι,και την Άνια του.Οι οποίοι έγιναν πλέον ένα από τα αγαπημένα μου ζευγάρια ever!)
Ο ξενιστής του Θανάτου είναι σημαδεμένος,είναι γεμάτος ουλές,είναι μελαχρινό
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
Characters:

Anya.
Anya is my favorite heroine of ALL time. Okay, seriously. THE BEST. She's just the most awesome character ever, and she completely and totally made this novel. She is tough and unbelieavably strong. She can hold her own against the lords with no trouble. On top of that, she's funny, quirky, and the way she treats Lucien is...I don't even have words. She is so adorably protective of him, even when she was trying to kill him, she still cared about him...And how she got angry when t
Canan  ^^
Mar 09, 2013 Canan ^^ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wid
İlk kitaptan karakterleri tanıyoruz zaten.
Lucien(Ölüm), Anya(Anarşi)
Aslında kitap konusunda çok kararsız kaldım.Sevdim mi yoksa gıcık mı oldum bilemedim.
Çiftimiziz arasındaki çekim ve laf kavgaları yer yer çok eğlenceliydi ama bazen de çok çocukça ve gereksizdi.
Kitapta en çok birbirlerini sahiplenmelerini sevdim.Bide Reyes ve Paris'in kısa bölümleri iyiydi.
Gelecek kitapları merak ediyorum ama Paris'e daha çok yol var :)
Anya bizim Lucy'e göz koymuş bulunmakta.Ne olursa olsun ayartmayı kafaya koym
Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R
Book two,"Darkest Kiss",well for me putting this book down for even a couple of hours, was such a crime for me, I couldn't wait to keep reading,so I finished this book in a day,The story line was incredible,I had already liked Lucian from book one, and started liking Anya's character as well,so I already knew she was gonna be a fiesty one in this book,I liked her sarcasm and kick-ass attitude,and for a virgin, she knows what she wants, when she wants, & how she wants,niiiice! She is very sed ...more
  • Desire Unchained (Demonica #2)
  • Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark #10)
  • Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #5)
  • Mine to Possess (Psy-Changeling, #4)
  • Damien (Nightwalkers, #4)
  • Darkness Everlasting (Guardians of Eternity, #3)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl
More about Gena Showalter...

Lords of the Underworld (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Darkest Facts (Lords of the Underworld Companion)
  • The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)
  • The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld #5)
  • The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld #6)
  • The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)
  • The Darkest Surrender  (Lords of the Underworld #8)
  • The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9)
  • The Darkest Craving (Lords of The Underworld #10)

“He had a bleeding cut on his leg and he smelled like shit.
Her nose wrinkled. "Step in something?" she asked innocently.
"That I did not mind." He took a menacing step toward her. "What I did mind was being hit by a cab, then landing on the lap of a naked man. With an erection, Anya. He had an erection.”
315 likes