Informed Risk & A Hero for Sophie Jones

Informed Risk & A Hero for Sophie Jones

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  352 ratings  ·  44 reviews
PLAYING WITH FIRE
Published April 30th 2013 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2013)

Cheryl
Dual Harlequin romances

This book is actually reprints of two romances: "Informed Risk" by Robyn Carr, originally published in 1989 and "A Hero for Sophie Jones" by Christine Rimmer, originally published in 1998.

INFORMED RISK

I love Robyn Carr and have read all of her books that I can find. This one fits in the middle somewhere on my "like" scale. Well developed characters, a solid storyline, some tears shed along the way. I liked Mike and Chris, Chris' children and especially Cheeks, the dog. Did...more
Barbara
“Informed Risk” is a 1989 romance novel by Robyn Carr that was featured as part of Harlequin’s “Men In Uniform” series. It revolves around the love that blossoms between an Irish Catholic firefighter named Mike Cavanaugh and the single mother he rescues named Christine Palmer. Christine is a would-be author who’s working on a YA novel while raising two precocious kids.

The plot is filled with situations that normal people probably wouldn’t get into, but are perfectly serviceable in the name of a...more
Sue
Mike Cavanaugh rescues Christine Palmer from a fire in her rental house. When he realizes she has no one in town she can call to help her out he offers to let her stay at his house. She and her two little kids move in along with their dog, Cheeks.

Mike is from a big, loving, Irish catholic family. Chris is an only child who lost her parents some years ago. Her only relative her Aunt Flo and they are estranged because Chris married a jerk who only wanted her money and left her after he ran throug...more
Season
Okay, here is the deal with this story. Good story, but it was too much for me for just one story. I felt that Ms. Carr try to add too many elements into the story instead of just focusing on one thing. Overall it was an enjoyable read, but not one of her best.
Cheri
Truthfully, I didn't read both stories. Not because I'm not interested in reading Christine Rimmer's story, but because I realized said story is part of a series and I hate picking a series up in the middle. Even if it's just a short supplement to the series.

That being said, the story "Informed Risk" was enjoyable. I've been on a Robyn Carr kick lately and personally don't think it is on par with her other books that I've read. It seems a little disjointed and choppy. That could be because it's...more
Patricia Solla
Robyn Carr's Informed Risk storyline is very interesting. It was interesting to see a firefighter enjoy his job even knowing that he might die in the line of duty. This does not take away from what is actually happening in this story. There's more to meet the eye in the woman and her family he rescues. The woman is dealing with a lot of garbage she is carrying from another relationship so we have the woman who wants to be independent and do it by herself and the guy who wants to take care of her...more
Sarah Eiseman
Originally posted on sarahsbookshelf.com:

I haven’t really read much by Robyn Carr and the stories that I had weren’t interesting enough for me to make the effort to check out her back-list. Boy, I must have read the two duds she wrote because this book, and the other one I read right before it, were fantastic!

In this novel, we meet Chris Palmer, a single mom trying to get her life together after her deadbeat husband rang off with her money and left her with two kids. We meet her as her rental bu...more
Bookfanatic
This book was written in 1989 and it shows. This is not one of Robyn Carr's best efforts. While I love her Virgin River series, there's something lacking in this stand alone story, Informed Risk. The hero, Mike, is very likable fireman. He's the physically strong yet gentle, loving man that women dream about. The heroine is fine, but too wishy washy for such a strong, decisive man. I wanted someone else for the hero. I think Aunt Florence would have been a better counterpart for the hero! The he...more
Ann (Noumena12)
Informed Risk by Robyn Carr
I always enjoy Carr's books. Embedded in this story is a glimpse of how close any of us are to being homeless. "The press indicated the homeless situation was getting worse every year. The reported living conditions were terrifying. Hopeless and vile. The one common link among these people seemed to be aloneness, lack of family." And I think it is easy to see how giving a little can make differences for others.

I'm not sure this is an "easy" read but it is definitely w...more
Lindsey
I tend to love everything that Robyn Carr writes and while I didn't find this story as dynamic as the Virgin River series, I still found it to be quite enjoyable. It was nice seeing Chris start to become more sure of herself and who she was. I was proud of her for standing up for herself to Mike and Flo even though it was a hard situation. I really loved watching Mike with the kids and Cheeks. He was so sweet with them that it made my heart ache reading it. Overall I thought this was a nice afte...more
Neena Christianson Martin
I happened upon this book by a fluke, I thought I had read every book written by Robyn Carr. I was not disappointed as this was another great read. The characters were rich, and well developed, and very, very human. do yourself a favor and read this book, and become another Robyn Carr junkie like myself.
Darcy
I only read Carr's book. I really liked the first half of this one. I hated how alone Chris was. I liked how Mike recognized that because he felt the same. I loved how these 2 people managed to build something that had the potential to be real. When things started to go off the rails for me was when Chris's past came out. I hated the snipping, the petty one-up-manship that was going on, and how each person was pulling at Chris silently yelling mine. It was almost like they were peeing on her to...more
Marcia Berg Haskell
"PLAYING WITH FIRE
Mike Cavanaugh was a firefighter; it was his job to rescue people. Though inviting them home wasn't usually part of the job description. But when he pulled Christine Palmer out of her burning house, something about the gutsy single mom made him want to protect her, to make her life a little better. Only somehow Chris and her family ended up giving Mike's life new meaning, and he was happier than he'd been in years.

But Chris was smart and resourceful. She'd get back on her own...more
Mary K. Combs
An OK book.

It didn't keep me interested enough. I really like the Virgin River series best. I can't wait for V. R. revisited.
Emily Higgins
Informed Risk: Firefighter Mike Cavanaugh rescued Christine Palmer and her 2 children from their burning home. When he realized that there was no one else to offer them help, he took them into his home. This is a touching story, even if is unrealistic.

A Hero for Sophie Jones: Sin Riker has purchased the ranch where Sophie Jones' hotel is located. His plan is to cancel her lease so that he can have the land all to himself. Once Sin meets Sophie, his plans changed. Cute story
Becky
Good story! Could have been split up into 2 books though.
Megan
I have fallen in love with Robyn Carr and her heroic stories. I love this one to the core. The only thing that truly bothered me was the ending. I feel like the story ended too fast and left me hanging a little. It kind of broke my heart due to lack of detailing in the last chapter. Other than that, I would recommend Informed Risk to those who adore romance and rescues! "A Hero for Sophie Jones" was really good as well. It wasn't as mature as the first story, but still had a good plot and great...more
Sheri
Mar 08, 2013 Sheri marked it as to-read
A reprint of two books.

INFORMED RISK by Robyn Carr
3.5 to 4 stars. I liked the characters. They were definitely not perfect and at times were almost too human. Chris definitely tended to overthink things, but then, that was pointed out as one of her traits. I liked the firefighter hero. If I could change anything, I probably would give us more time with his family.

A HERO FOR SOPHIE JONES by Christine Rimmer
Irene
Two (totally unrelated) stories in one book. No idea why these two were put together, but they were quick reads that I won't linger on for very long. Very predictable. Didn't like the main female character in the first story too much, and given that I liked several of Carr's stories this one was a bit disappointing to me. In the second story I didn't like Sin and couldn't believe Sophie was making the effort to get him back.
Julie Alvarez
Both books were great. In the first book, fireman Mike Cavanaugh was every woman's dream of a hero. How the love that developed between him and Chris was breathtaking. The second story by Christine Rimmer was also very good. Sophie fell in love with Sin right off the bat even though he came to take his land. But after meeting Sophie his intentions changed and he fell in love.

Would recommend both stories.
Virginia
The Robyn Carr ... I just didn't get the motivation of any characters, it just seemed to run on... I think I will stop reading older Robyn Carr Books...the newer are so good they set me up to expect more and I am disappointed.

A hero for Sophie Jones...I really liked. Enough that I will look for the Jones series by Christine Rimmer.

A two for Carr and a 4 for Rimmer.
Lesley
Not my favorite Robyn Carr book, but it was ok. As for the other story in this book, A Hero for Sophie Jones, that was awful. The heroine is a sweet little doormat, the hero a jackass who alternately walks all over her, talks to her like she's 5, and screws the heck out of her. Not a great dynamic, IMO. Yechh.
Emily
I was disappointed by the first half of this book, and did not read the second half. I later found out that it was a reprint. I liked the characters, but didn't like how shallow the story was. She usually has more depth in her books. And she left the ending unfinished. Not a normal Robyn Carr book.
Erin
I could relate to both characters in this story. Her need to be loved for who she is not what she has or hasn't and his need to be needed. A heartwarming story with not a whole lot of action. I don't think Aunt Flo contibuted anything worthwhile to the story.
Heather
More like 2 1/2 stars. Informed risk was kinda unbelievable. Some areas were over talked while others were underdeveloped.
The second book was boring from the beginning. It didn't pick up until the end and then it was rushed.
Krista
I love Robyn Carr. I love Virgin River, Grace Valley, and her new series. This older story though will not become one of my favorites. I couldn't even finish it. It was drab and dragged. Very disappointed.
Elizabeth A
I like both books but my favorite was 'Informed Risk". I could relate to so many of the feelings and events in the life of the heroine in the story.
Rochelle
3.5 stars.
Not deep, and not as well developed as some of her books, but still a decent story.

I didn't bother with the Sophie Jones story.
Donna
Really liked Robyn Carr's story. Did not care for Christine Rimmer's story at all. So my rating is actually for Informed Risk.
3.5* for the Robyn Carr story. 2.5-3* for the other book (although it improved towards the end)
  • Dreamweaver Trail (Eternity Springs, #8)
  • Sea Glass Island (Ocean Breeze, #3)
  • Protector (Long, Tall Texans, #37)
  • Castaway Cove (Shelter Bay #6)
  • The Unexpected Husband: Jury of His Peers\Any Sunday
  • Completely Smitten: Completely Smitten\Hers for the Weekend
  • Man of Her Dreams (Loveswept, #331)
  • Ragged Rainbows
  • Against the Edge (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #8)
  • Better Than Chocolate (Life in Icicle Falls, #1)
  • Perfect Fling (Serendipity's Finest, #2)
  • The Long Way Home (Chesapeake Diaries, #6)
  • Perfect Harmony: Unfinished Business\Local Hero
A RITA award-winning author of 25 novels, Robyn Carr has found a whole new following with her stories about the independent women and former marines of Virgin River."

RT's Career Achievement Best Author Award winner (2010) for Contemporary Romance.
More about Robyn Carr...
Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2) Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3) Temptation Ridge (Virgin River, #6) A Virgin River Christmas (Virgin River, #4)