Start by marking “Genghis Khan: Emperor of All Men” as Want to Read:
Genghis Khan: Emperor of All Men

Genghis Khan: Emperor of All Men

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Eight hundred or so years ago, a man almost conquered the earth. He made himself master of half the known world and inspired humankind with a fear that lasted for generations. Genghis Khan, meaning universal ruler, was a man difficult to measure by ordinary standards. When he marched with his army, it was by degrees of latitude and longitude instead of miles; cities in his ...more
Paperback, no. 1127, 218 pages
Published 1953 by Bantam (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Genghis Khan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genghis Khan

Stephen
4.0 stars. I got this book as part of my Easton Press "Library of Military History" and had only a general knowledge of who Genghis Khan was. I found this story fascinating and well-written and enjoyed the way the author gave a fairly complete, well-rounded description of Genghis from his early years through his creation of one of the most terrifying military forces of ancient history. When I finished the book, I felt I had a much better understanding of this famous military leader which is what ...more
Julie Davis
Harold Lamb was fascinated by the people and history of Asia which greatly influenced his fictional short stories, many featuring Cossacks or Mongols as heroes. His fascination just as greatly influenced his string of popular nonfiction histories, of which Genghis Khan was the first, written in 1927. Eventually his skill with nonfiction led to Cecil B. DeMille hiring him as technical advisor and screenwriters on several films.

Lamb's style of writing is easy to read, probably because he began his
Ertuğrul Karul
Cengiz han koskica turk dunyasinin en cesur lideri olmakla beraber kitabinizin da kahramani gonlunuzun efendisi oluyor bu kitapla birlikte.dayanilmayacak duygu yogunluklarinin nasil bir enginlikle aşildigini o yuce liderden de ogrenmis oluyoruz bu kitapla birlikte.koca ulkelerin sinirlarini bazen savassiz bazende en onde ter dokerek kazandigini sanki kilic sesleri kulagimizda cinlarcasina fethedildigini hissediyoruz.bize o anlari yasatan basta Cengiz hanimiza olmakla beraver yazarimiza da cok te ...more
Zeke Chase
I know enough about the Great Khan to write my own biography at this point, but as I'm in the process of working on a novel that plays into the Mongol history and ethos, I felt reading this extra biography – a short one I could blow through in no time – would be no extra burden. Also, I'd heard a rumour about the Mongols that I couldn't seem to verify on a quick Google search, one of those by-the-way massacres that's mindboggling in and of itself, but hardly noteworthy as one more massacre among ...more
Jenny
This book is very interesting and entertaining. I like Lamb's style because the book reads more like a novel or chronicle than a biography. The accounts of the Mongols' battles are suspenseful and gripping. I mostly enjoyed this book, though, because I didn't know anything about the Mongols and their first leader, Genghis Khan. I enjoyed learning about the ancient Chinese and their great empire as well as the Persians and Turks and other "Eastern" ethnic groups. This short book gave me a general ...more
Jintong Shi
This book was published in 1927, older than my grandfather, and I found the book in the library of my school with pretty good condition,the library of the United States is the best in the world...

Genghis Khan is notorious, cruel, yet smart and strong in leadership.

For revenge, he put the enemy tribes' men into boiling oil and fried them alive, for the death of his father.

Yet he trained the hooligan style Asian nomadic tribes into a undefeatable army.

The Standing Army of Mongol Empire was aroun
Neale Aslett
A fascinating read of a much maligned ruler, a man far superior to his European contemporaries, a man who shook the world in his passing and created a peoples hitherto fragmented into warring tribes. An easy read (for those with a grasp of history) and a fulfilling one to all others.
Ubaid Talpur
history in story, I like Lamb's well written and attractive style, Genghis Khan was soft for his people & rigid or we may say ruthless for other people, Lamb expressed his childhood habit to his old age actions and starting Mongol kingdom
Sophie T.
Simply written but a great historical read. It is full of facts but it is put in a story context so that it is easy to understand. He really follows what actually happened. Very interesting!
Dan
Jul 08, 2008 Dan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: amateur historians, those interested in military history, history of military strategy
The first of a number of books passed on to me from my grandmother's collection, this was a generally informative, though a tad sympathetic, chronicling of the rise of young chieftan-son Temujin of the Gobi Desert into a merciless supreme emperor and arguably the most successful military commander of all time. The author has managed to compile a surprisingly complete account of events from the a culture largely without a written history. Indeed, a majority of the historical accounts of his battl ...more
Uriha
though no real written records of Genghis Khan was ever made, just notes from observors from foreign lands. the story of the khan is an amazing story of a man wanting to unify all his people. his compassion, insite, determination and fortitude is astounding and his short comings as well. this one is an amazing book.
Truyen Nguyen
There isn't much that is written about this man; a legend in his own right. This book expressed a pretty wealthy load of interesting information, for a short one, about The Great Khan and his legacy in the making; passing through his children and etc...
Mike
I give this book a 5 because it was the first bookI ever read about Genghis Khan and Central Asia when I was 11. It was written in 1927 and is a "Histography" book based on The Secret History. But, for me it is a great book.
Cliff Davis
Lamb's great book has stood the test of time. Still quite readable after nearly a century. Genghis Khan was less a man than a terrible force of nature, but Lamb manages to capture and portray that which is human about him.
Eugene Wainwright
I did enjoy this book for its informative value. Though it was not as impartial as I would have preferred in a historical account it was worth the time if one cares to know more of this enigmatic figure...
Larry
Mostly interesting but with several pockets of intensely boring. The audiobook, however, let my attention drift in and out when there was something boring, and I was able to finish the audiobook.
John
ok,i agree he was a great leader and a tyrant but I just did not get interested in this book, I may have to go back and check it out again some day when I have the time.
Fahd
Pulled this one out of my dad's library, and once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. It describes details of Genghis Khan unlikely to be found elsewhere.
Ed Dodson
I listened to the audio book and think I would have liked to read this instead. The names of Gehghis' sub-chiefs were hard to follow (Subutai, Chipenoian - ?spelling)
Troy
Interesting at times, but definitely dry for a majority of the book. I learned a little about this legendary conquerer, but it was a stuggle to get through.
Shauna
Kai and I are read this in homeschool, Genghis gets a bad rap in history, but he really was an amazing leader. His story teaches how to be a great leader.
Walt
This is a very short and easy read on the warlord. It is not very scholarly and perhaps has some errors; but the basic storyline is accurate.
Onurcan  Şar
Harold Lamb, konar-göçer hayatı güzel aktarıyor. Ayrıca diğer kitaplarındaki gibi burada da biyografik tasvirlerde başarılı..
Alan
In English language,Inglise keeles,non-fiction,history,biography,warrior biography,history biography
Noreen
First published in 1927. I probably read in 1950's. This book made me a lifelong fan of Genghis Khan.
Kim
Pretty dry stuff. Interesting history but not particularly well told in my opinion
Lanakila
This one was a non-starter for me.
Ahmed Ibrahim
Ahmed Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
  • Tamerlane: Sword of Islam, Conqueror of the World
  • The Devil's Horsemen: The Mongol Invasion of Europe
  • King Harald's Saga
  • The Drillmaster of Valley Forge: The Baron de Steuben and the Making of the American Army
  • Hannibal (Military Library)
  • Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army
  • Kublai Khan: The Mongol King Who Remade China
  • The Blue Cliff Record
  • Adopted Son: Washington, Lafayette, and the Friendship that Saved the Revolution
  • Saxo Grammaticus: The History of the Danes, Books I-IX: I. English Text; II. Commentary
  • Orkneyinga Saga: The History of the Earls of Orkney
  • The Ottoman Centuries
  • The Baburnama: Memoirs of Babur, Prince and Emperor
  • The Young Hitler I Knew
  • The Gateless Gate
  • Jefferson and the Rights of Man
  • Never Give In: The Extraordinary Character of Winston Churchill (Leaders in Action Series)
  • Daniel Boone: The Life and Legend of an American Pioneer
Harold Albert Lamb (September 1, 1892 - April 9, 1962) was an American historian, screenwriter, short story writer, and novelist.

Born in Alpine, New Jersey, he attended Columbia University, where his interest in the peoples and history of Asia began. Lamb built a career with his writing from an early age. He got his start in the pulp magazines, quickly moving to the prestigious Adventure magazine,
More about Harold Lamb...
Hannibal Alexander of Macedon The Crusades: Iron Men and Saints Omar Khayyam Wolf of the Steppes: The Complete Cossack Adventures, Volume One