Start by marking “The Rants” as Want to Read:
The Rants

The Rants

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  1,337 ratings  ·  59 reviews
There's good news for those that rage at theevening news, shake their heads at Washington'sbusiness-as-usual, or watch as politicians carom fromsocial crisis to political crisis to economiccrisis: Dennis Miller is back, and he means to shake thenation by its lapels.

Miller respects noboundaries. Whether the subject is dope-addledbaseball players who can no longer swing thei
Published March 1st 1996 by Doubleday (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Rants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rants

Todd Stockslager
Review title: Archeological visit to a pre-tweet era
I remember 1996. It wasn't that long ago, but a lot has changed in the 15 years since this collection of Dennis Miller monologues from his HBO TV show.

What has changed most that leaves this printed collection of rants is the immediacy of Facebook and Twitter. Nowadays, as soon as something happens we cram our response into 140 characters and broadcast it out on our social networks without apology or hesitation as to who might read it and how it
Schuyler Wallace
Dennis Miller is a funny guy, grating and pompous to be sure, but lobbing his brand of irreverent humor around to keep his fans amused. After reading his book, “The Rants,” I tend to think he’s funnier in person than as a writer. Of course, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.

The problem I have with his book is the tendency to throw out names that draw a blank with me. I don’t know who some of his foils are. I get the comedic reference when I recognize the name, and the humor is there, but
Rena Sherwood
My review for this originally appeared on Amazon.com back in 1997:

Should be required listening for all potential teachers, parents, right-wing Christians and politicians. Heck, it should be required listening for existing teachers, parents, right-wing Christians and politicians anyway, so let's just strap them down and pump up the volume! Makes you really revel in the fantasy of making Pat Buchannon's brain explode like one of those androids that kidnapped Mudd in Star Trek because he couldn't h
Austin
Books by comedians are always a guessing game. Are they going to be funny? Insightful? Inspiring? For probably 95% of the books by a stand-up comedian that are published, they are usually just funny (for the most part) and are a working script for their stand-up acts with some filler. In Dennis Miller’s The Rants we get a lot of his stand-up material and most of that from his HBO days. The book is broken up into 43 specific rants dealing with topics that range from “Women in Hollywood” to “Infor ...more
SmarterLilac
Taking a deep breath to write this review, deep breath...

I actually used to love Dennis Miller. In his own small way, he was the genesis of my political awakening circa the 1992 presidential election, which was roughly the time I started to 'care about things.' Though he was never (scripted to be) all that liberal, I found his writers him to be genuinely funny, pragmatic and good natured about all thing progressive, and tough as hell on the truly insane behaviors of the far right during the '90s
Jack Gattanella
once upon a time Dennis Miller was pretty funny, insightful, acerbic, and if not liberal then at least sane. this is a collection of those 'rants' from his HBO show from the 90s, and back then I was a fan of his stuff as a teenager (the Iraq war changed him for the worse and its been ten years since I've heard any of his stuff, let alone this book). looking back some of it was snide but there was a lot of good stuff so it gets this rating.
Daniel
The wonderful accordion player comes bouncing out to tumultuous applause and the room erupts to yet a higher peak of sound and fury. The wonderful accordion player dances and capers madly about the whole room, playing and singing familiar standards, pausing only to wipe the sweat from behind his steaming glasses.

The wonderful accordion player's face is aglow with happiness and the crowd enthusiastically accompanies every song; singing, clapping, dancing, and just plain yelling! There is a brilli
Ian
Definitely dated, though it becomes more evergreen after a few topical opening chapters. What surprised me the most was to learn what one American was complaining about twenty years ago, as the source and direction of those complaints doggedly persists in today's social and political landscape.
Stacey
I like Dennis Miller. I think that he is very funny in a smart kind of way. The tirades that he goes on are near genius, and I agree alot with what he says. My issues with this particular book was how he said it. I listened to the audio version of this book, and found myself distinctly uncomfortable with his liberal use of the "f" word. When reading a book with a sprinkling of this word can be somewhat overlooked, but hearing it spoken loudly and frequently I just couldn't overlook it. I felt th ...more
Kristal Cooper
Dennis Miller's humor relies heavily on references to current events and pop culture. This book is 15 years old, so it's no surprise that some of the material is outdated and a few of the names he drops have faded into obscurity, meaning you have no hope of getting the joke now. The vast majority of the rants remain spot on though. Apparently, the more things change, the more they stay the same. We are still dealing with some of these stupid, crazy issues all these years later and that's a bit f ...more
Mike Gonzalez
I read this when he was cool.
Todd Beauregard
In the spirit of full disclosure, I'm a huge Dennis Miller fan. The transcripts from his famous "rants" contained in this book require that you have both a thesaurus at-hand and a healthy knowledge of pop culture or Dennis' snarkiness will make a whooshing noise as it travels over your head at the speed of light and splatters on the wall behind you. I could do with the f-bomb leitmotif but that is what my filter is for.
Brian Sammons
I loved Dennis Miller. He was one of my favorite comedians. Then he became an all but paid for spokesman for the GOP and he was more sad than funny. I'm not bashing the Republicans, as I can't stand far left comedians any more than the far right. I think when anyone starts pushing their political agenda over bringing the funny they are just not that funny. Still, I miss the old Dennis Miller. I want him back.
Sandra
A fun gem I found at the Book Nook. These are from the HBO series Dennis did in 1994, so the material is dated, but I can still remember 1994. It makes a great book for the bathroom as each piece follows the important editorial rule for bathroom reading material. He just tickles my brain. I often wish I had an electronic device with me so I can Google some of the obscure references.
Tad Callin
Just happened to pick this up the other day, and even though it was published in 1996 - dating MANY of the jokes - the points Miller makes are still quite valid. In fact, he accurately predicted a number of trends in the pop political culture, making me wonder if we shouldn't have listened to him a bit more seriously.
Chris
I'll confess that I was probably the only fan of Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football. I got all his obscure references and it made me feel really smart. Much of this book is now dated and 90-ish, but he still makes some very good points about discrimination, gay rights, parenting, common sense and the like.
Jason
At the time, I found this witty and insightful. Looking back, it's hard to remember why. Maybe it's that Miller has become so annoying conservative and so Glen Beck-ish in his certainly that he is right while everyone else is wrong. Maybe it's that I was 19 or 20 at the time and knew far less than I know now.
Randy Lander
I liked Miller when he was on SNL and when he had his own HBO show... not so much now that he's a commercial-filming conservative sellout. I haven't gone back and read these in a few years, so I'm not sure if I still like them or not. But I found them funny at the time.
angrykitty
i used to like dennis miller a lot. now though, i think he's just a crank. the thing is, i think that he's probably always just been a crank....you watch an old snl and tell me different.....plus, he's waaaaaaay too smug with himself...
Kacie
I was always a big fan of Dennis Miller's show and looked forward to the rant every week. I still laughed reading through all of these but was a bit disappointed to find that they were all rants he had done on the show - nothing new.
Leah
Funny book. I first heard this book in a college English class. It was funny and seemed like something that would be a good read. It makes you think about your own views on politics and the world we live in.
Alisa
I friend of mine gave this to me when we were in college and I about pissed myself laughing. Yes, the rants that are in this book, at the time were what was going on.. and were spot on from what I remember.
NumberLord
Apr 30, 2007 NumberLord rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deniis Miller fans...and that's pretty much it
Shelves: humor
I love Miller's rants. These are collected from his HBO show Dennis Miller Live. And they're funny--IF you like Dennis and his "referencia obscura" schtick. If not, then this book is probably not for you.
Kevin
book was good; however due to his career changes since writing the book and increase in general pussy behavior I am taking away a star... sorry Dennis you're moving down to a "2"
Charlotte
I listened to this book on tape and found it to be a nostaligic trip through the 90's. He uses words like Beeper and Clinton like we now use Iphone and Obama.

Sandy
I liked this book-I would not want to read anything he has written since he began to appear on the Bill OReilly show on FOX news but this one was good
Matt
"Voting nowadays is like choosing between the 2 a.m. showing of Beastmaster on Showtime and the 2 a.m. showing of Beastmaster 2 on Cinemax."
Matt Kelly
I used to love his HBO show. I don't remember if these were original rants, transcriptions of rants from the show, or a combination of both.
Scott Martin
Audiobook: Good humor from Dennis Miller...back when he did well enough on his own (before he was mostly known as a regular guest of Bill O'Reilly)
Julie Browne
I use to love Dennise Miller, and while I can still laugh at his rants his new faith in the republican party disturbs me.
  • Dirty Jokes and Beer: Stories of the Unrefined
  • No Cure for Cancer
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Cad: Confessions of a Toxic Bachelor
  • Among the Heroes
  • I Want to Grow Hair, I Want to Grow Up, I Want to Go to Boise
  • Nothing's Sacred
  • Rock This!
  • Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Dick for a Day: What Would You Do If You Had One?
  • Americana: Dispatches from the New Frontier
  • SeinLanguage
  • The Best American Crime Writing 2005
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2007
  • Wildlife Preserves
  • Hell Hath No Fury: Women's Letters from the End of the Affair
  • Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation
Dennis Miller is an American stand-up comedian, political commentator and sports commentator, and television/radio personality. He rose to fame as a cast member of Saturday Night Live in the late 1980s, and subsequently hosted a string of his own talk shows on HBO, CNBC and in syndication. He currently hosts a daily, three-hour, self-titled talk radio program, nationally syndicated by Westwood One ...more
More about Dennis Miller...
Ranting Again I Rant, Therefore I Am The Rant Zone: An All-Out Blitz Against Soul-Sucking Jobs, Twisted Child Stars, Holistic Loons, and People Who Eat Their Dogs! Still Ranting After All These Years Rants