Start by marking “Spy's Honor (Hearts and Thrones, #2)” as Want to Read:
Spy's Honor (Hearts and Thrones, #2)

Spy's Honor (Hearts And Thrones #2)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  392 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Rhianne, mind mage and Imperial Princess of Kjall, cannot openly challenge the emperor. Instead, she acts in secret to aid the victims of his worst excesses. But now the emperor plans to wed her to the cruel Augustan, the man leading Kjall’s attack against the nation of Mosar. Soon she will be torn from her supporters and shipped overseas, where she can help no one.

Mosari
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published October 1st 2013 by Signet Eclipse

To ask other readers questions about Spy's Honor, please sign up.

Jaylee From reviews and from the description, this is a prequel to Spy's Gambit, and it should probably be read before the first one.

Lxo ♥
Nov 11, 2014 Lxo ♥ rated it liked it
3 stars

It's Book 2 and it should came out first, not Assassin's Gambit. Anyway, it was a good read.

What I liked.
1. The world.
2. The politics.
3. Jan-Torres for his intelligence, kindness, and mercy.
4. His bloodthirsty ferret.
5. The brindlecats.

What I disliked.
1. It was too slow-paced at the beginning.
2. Insta-love dull romance.
3. Rhianne was stupid, ignorant and spineless.

......

Read the excerpt of Book 3 and it didn't sound promising. But then, that might change.

Read on your own peril.
Christina Turner
Oct 04, 2013 Christina Turner rated it it was amazing
Spy's Honor captured me right from the beginning.

The book was very exciting. Who couldn't love this mix: Two kingdoms. Two unsuspecting royals. Both at war due to tyranny, bloodthirst and greed. Both royals fall in hopeless love, but cannot ever be together because of the war. . or can they?

It is easily to love her royal highness Rhianne, and to fall for cunning hero Janto who is a spy for his kingdom, and who is the crown prince as well. This book had a well constructed plot as well as a great
Gina
Oct 09, 2013 Gina rated it it was amazing
I kind of wish that this had been the FIRST book in the series, since the first book made the ultimate ending of this book VERY obvious. I think that's about my only complaint. I loved learning about the different cultures even as the characters learned themselves. I am eagerly awaiting the next book.
Jessi
Oct 12, 2013 Jessi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-romance
Kind, intelligent hero & an adorable, bloodthirsty ferret. In other words, fantasy romance at it's finest.

Janto is the crown prince of Mosar, but his country is succumbing to an unwarranted attack by the larger, greedier country of Kjall. In a last-ditch effort to save his country, he goes to Kjall as a spy on the trail of information that could alter the course of the war. Posing as a slave, he meets Imperial Princess Rhianne, whose uncle, Emperor Florian is responsible for the terrible war
Britney (BookDrunkSloth)
Wonderful!!! I loved every page of this book. I got it from the library, and I will be purchasing it soon along with Assassin's Gambit.

Amy Raby shows such talent with her ability to create a world so detailed with a magic system that is also very unique. She was also smart to leave that magic system not completely explained, and we can learn more and more about it as we continue to read the series. This shows promise as a fantasy writer.

On the romance side, Raby captures the emotions of both th
Samantha
Nov 20, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I don't want to wait until April for the next book! Spy's Honor is technically a prequel to Assassin's Gambit, but I really think it makes more sense to read them in publication order. Even knowing the outcome of the story I was still sucked in and obsessively thinking about what had happened and would happen next. I loved watching the relationship between Janto and Rhianne develop. It was also nice to see the events leading up to Lucien becoming the emperor.. and of course there was the briefes ...more
Leo Hilde
Rhianne is the Imperial Princess of Kjall and a mind mage. As she is the emperor's niece, she has to marry a brutal man she doesn't love. And, of course, she falls in love with Janto, heir of Mosar throne and enemy of her uncle, who comes to Kjall to spy on.

In this book, we find all romance's codes. A nice princess fall in love with a nice prince. They want to change the world and stop the war between their countries.
Rhianne has magic power but it is not very useful because she can't use it ag
The Window Seat
May 08, 2014 The Window Seat rated it really liked it
In this the second book of the Hearts and Thrones series, we actually take a step back in time. This book occurs before the events of Assassin's Gambit. I am not really sure why they were written this way, but it works for me!

Rhianne is a Kjallian princess and the cousin to the emperor. As such, she is expected to make a political alliance more than a marriage. Her country is in the midst of political turmoil, primarily because her uncle the emperor is a vicious tyrant (which you know from readi
Anna Richland
Nov 30, 2013 Anna Richland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun, romance
This was so good I need to go back and reread Assassin's Gambit, but I lent it to a friend, so I'm hosed.

I realized what this series reminds me of: Pern. The politics are intense, the world is amazing and the details bring it all to life. Without the structure of the caturanga game, I didn't think Spy's Honor could be as intensely detailed as the first book in the series - but I was wrong. I really liked the way the hero and heroine developed a relationship over language lessons, the battles, t
Denise Targaryen
Oct 24, 2013 Denise Targaryen rated it it was amazing
The full review can be found at my blog.

I was a little nervous to read this book because of the time frame of it. This one occurs before the events in the first book and tells Rhianne’s story. Aside from that I really enjoyed this book. I loved Rhianne and Janto as characters and it was nice seeing them interact and how they got together. The one thing I wish we had gotten to see with this book was Mosar, their people and the life that they lead. From what we were giving about the country they
Range
Apr 30, 2016 Range rated it it was amazing
Even though this is the second book in the series, it takes place 4 or 5 years before Assassin's Gambit (the first book), and I really wish I'd read it first. While each book can be read as a standalone, I didn't really appreciate or understand Rhianne or Jan-Torres in Assassin's Gambit because I hadn't read their book first. I also went into this book with some preconceived ideas that made me impatient for certain parts because I'd read Gambit first.

I loved Assassin's Gambit so much, I was afra
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Rhianne, is Imperial Princess of Kjall, who is very naive about the way of the world. She enlists her cousin Lucian into her plans for her dear friend Morgan. Lucian may be The Crown Prince but his father will see him as a kind of failure and second to last choice for ruling Kjall. Rhianne wants to know more about Mosari deciding to learn the language by teaching herself. Mosari Crown Prince Janto is searching for his spy at The Kjall Palace. He befriends a few slaves into helping him discover w ...more
Nuits d'Insomnie
Mar 25, 2015 Nuits d'Insomnie rated it really liked it
Ah voici le roman qui me réconcilie avec l'éditeur, car j'étais plutôt remontée sur le prix du 1er tome et sa piètre qualité. J'attaque le suivant avec grand plaisir !

Contrairement au 1er tome, la fantasy prend une place importante dans cette histoire, bien que le sujet principale reste la romance qui est ici construite avec cohérence et donne envie de poursuivre. Espérons que cela dure sur la série.

Bon par contre, je ne sais pas comment suivre l'auteur car on fait de sacrés bonds dans le temps,
Janelle
Oct 30, 2013 Janelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-romance
This book was awesome. A perfect blend of heart wrenching romance and political intrigue, all in a unique and interesting fantasy setting. It fit my tastes to a tee, and I stayed up way too late finishing it.
Penny
Oct 14, 2013 Penny rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommendable
Should be book one in the series since it takes place before Assassins Gambit and sets the world and a couple of the characters. I enjoyed the verbal sparring and would have liked more and a little less battle strategy.
Amanda
Apr 06, 2013 Amanda marked it as to-read
We read about Rhianne, Lucien's cousin, and her loving husband, Janto in Book 1. It seems Amy Raby is bringing us back in time to Rhianne and Janto first met. Can't wait.
Alex West
Dec 28, 2013 Alex West rated it really liked it
(4.5 stars) Wow! I have read that Raby's aim with this series is to write books that are equally satisfying to fantasy or romance readers. She made a good bash at it with Assassin's Gambit (Book 1), with an original world that felt real enough to inhabit, but as a fantasy reader I felt we got a bit short-changed compared to the romance audience when it came to the second half of that book. By contrast, Spy's Honour actually pulls it off. The romance is swoony, the worldbuilding is convincing, an ...more
Tiffany
Oct 30, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
I loved it!
Ren
4 stars

It's been almost 2 years since I read Assassin's Gambit and I like the premise that I didn't hesitant to bought Spy's Honor. The problem is, when you read the first book a long long time ago, you will miss some detail. Spy's Honor is a prologue to Assassin's Gambit and I admit, I'm a little bit confused when read this one. Spy's Honor is about Rhianne, Imperial Princess of Kjall and Jan-Torres aka Janto, the Crown Prince of Mosari. Both are cameos in the first book but play important role
Melanie
Jan 24, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it
Full review available on AAR - http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookRev...

Have you ever been scared to start a sequel? Sometimes the first book in a series just works so well, with all the pieces fitting together, that it’s hard to think of topping it - sometimes it seems hard to even match it! I recently read Assassin’s Gambit, the first of the Hearts and Thrones series, quite recently, and was excited to read the next - until I actually got it. And then I spent a week or two reading the first pag
Marlene
Dec 08, 2013 Marlene rated it really liked it
This joint review was originally published at The Book Pushers

Marlene: First of all, let me say that the Romans gave great empire! Where would epic historical fiction and epic fantasy be without them? Amy Raby’s Hearts and Thrones isn’t the only epic fantasy series that owes a lot of its inspiration and overall situation to some of the best and worst elements of the Roman Empire. There’s also Crista McHugh’s Deizian Empire series (its awesome too) as well as Lindsay Buroker’s The Emperor’s Edge
Oct 19, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
I give this book a 3.5
I read her fire mage book first and it was ok I think I gave it a 2 but this one is soo much better!
also although this is book 2, from what I can tell, chronologically it is first.

spoilers:
there is only one thing I don't understand- Lucien opposed the war and desired trade concessions yet when it was offered to him he resisted. It was a total character reversal which I hope will be explained in other books.
Merideth
Feb 15, 2015 Merideth rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, chick-lit
I like this book better then the 1st book. a little confused as to why it wasn't the 1st in the series seeing as how the events in this book had already taken place before book one. overall this was a nice book. the writer is getting into a little bit of a rut IMO with the politically charged love/ hate marriages. I will say while love story in this book got very series very fast i liked Rhianna better then the females in book one.
KritikaB
Mar 09, 2015 KritikaB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually like this one more than the first and actually this one should be the first book. I like the relationship between Janto and Rhianne, 'Good morning my alligator', somehow I just love it. And the fiesty ferret, what a character.
I like the story and it kept me wondering what was going to happen next. However it was spoiled by the knowledge from the first book. That's probably the only downside.
Hilly
3 stars. Chronologically ahead of Assassin's Gambit, I can see why this wasn't released first.

This is fine; the characters are matter of fact to the point of insensitivity -- but then again, there's a whole lotta action that they've got to get through before all is said and done. Some sweet moments, too.

I liked it.
Lara
Aug 31, 2014 Lara rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I enjoyed this book better than the first in the series, which takes place after this one, but it lacked depth and strategy. The heroine is naive despite her intelligence and willfulness. The hero is a gentleman who is apparently the best strategist in several nations. However, that strategy doesn't appear until after late in the plot. Until then he makes a lot of rash decisions and depends a lot on luck. The princess is unbelievably able to run around as she pleases, even with her particular po ...more
Lindsay
Dec 08, 2013 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to win this book on Goodreads Givaways and I loved every page!
I enjoyed the world Amy Raby has created. The slight mix of fantasy with reality of countries wanting to rule others and the magic of mages. Also the fact a Princess (in her eyes) fell in love with a slave and I enjoyed how their relationship developed.

I loved the idea of familiars and of Jantos ferret with the killer instinct. I was actually willing Rhianne to take her brindle cat as a familiar.

From other reviews I hear
Latham
May 25, 2015 Latham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-5-stars
Look we knew where this was going all along, but I enjoyed it anyway. I like Rhianne a lot: she realizes she has choices and takes them, and even if they don't work out in the end she tried. Also I greatly enjoyed her sicing the brindlecat on the dude.
Desiree
Apr 25, 2015 Desiree rated it really liked it
I'm confused and don't know how this is book 2 in the series and Assassin's Gambit was book one, but whatever.

I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first and I can't seem to pinpoint why.

I'll update my review when I figure it out.
Shannon
Jun 15, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars but I'm rounding up

The events in this book take place prior to Assassin's Gambit (Hearts and Thrones, #1), so in reality this SHOULD be book one. If you don't know that it's rather confusing. So if you've read book 1 keep that in mind and if you haven't I'd recommend reading this Spy's Honor, then Assassin's Gambit. The good news in it appears Prince's Fire (Hearts and Thrones, #3) takes place in the proper timeslot for book 3.

All that aside this was a good read, not quite as good as b
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 04, 2015 08:50AM
So how is Kj sound supposed to be prounced? 1 6 Oct 16, 2013 10:06AM
  • For Crown and Kingdom
  • The Tears of the Rose (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2)
  • My Lady Mage (Warriors of the Mist, #1)
  • Queen of Wands (Sanctify, #2)
  • Allegiance Sworn (The Light Blade, #3)
  • The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • Altered Destiny
  • Bride By Command (Emperor's Brides, #3)
  • Tangled Web (Deizian Empire, #1)
  • Only Love Survives
  • Iron Kin (The Half-Light City, #3)
  • A Shot of Red
  • Fantasy Fiesta 2011: Antologi Cerita Fantasi Terbaik 2011
  • Shadows (Shadows #1)
  • Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)
  • Christmas Cowboy - Natal Sang Koboi
  • Heart Fortune (Celta's Heartmates, #12)
Amy Raby is literally a product of the U.S. space program, since her parents met working for NASA on the Apollo missions. After earning her Bachelor’s in Computer Science from the University of Washington, Amy settled in the Pacific Northwest with her family, where she’s always looking for life’s next adventure, whether it’s capsizing tiny sailboats in Lake Washington or riding dressage horses. As ...more
More about Amy Raby...

Hearts And Thrones (5 books)
  • Assassin's Gambit (Hearts and Thrones, #1)
  • Prince's Fire (Hearts and Thrones, #3)
  • Healer's Touch (Hearts And Thrones, #4)
  • Guardian's Secret (Hearts and Thrones, #4.5)