Start by marking “Letty Fox: Her Luck” as Want to Read:
Letty Fox: Her Luck

Letty Fox: Her Luck

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Love, lust, and commitment crash and scatter in this comedic masterpiece

From the stunning and provocative mind of Christina Stead comes the addictively blunt character of Letty Fox. Letty spins between New York City and London during her chaotic upbringing and entry into adulthood, which spans the Great Depression and the Second World War. She is determined to create a li
Published October 23rd 2012 by Open Road Media (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Letty Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letty Fox

So far, this book is wonderful. 'I was one of those marrying women who married even her casual lovers: I had a very honest instinct.' No complaints but for the 600-page commitment it demands. I could probably fall for it hard. I hope it waits for me.

Wow: fucking relentless. Relentless is the quest for a suitable husband and the money required to win him (or which he owes you after leaving)! And not only will the men, but the prose will have its way with you too. See Amy's Questions and Answe
Like Coonardoo , this is a novel I read because I was trying to get more familiar with my own country's literature. Like that book, Letty Fox was written in the first half of the twentieth century by an Australian, Marxist, female writer, and it was also met with outrage in Australia upon publication – Letty Fox was actually banned here for many years for being too frank in its depictions of sex.

Aside from that, the books couldn't be any less similar. This book is set in the glitzy cities of Ne
people talk about how christina stead's great weakness is not knowing what to edit/weed out. and it's true, sure, but i dunno...i kinda like that. it makes her lengthy detailed repetitive books of female domestic and familial experience feel more authentic and less literary, in a way i enjoy. like you're at the kitchen table reading the unexpurgated letters from your batty aunt who doesn't know the meaning of discretion, or something. "fun."
want to have drinks with Letty. i was surprised by how much i related to her dating experience.
Like Mary McCarthy's "the group" (new york in the thirties, satirizing the sexual revolution before it happened) but way more cosmopolitan, lurid, and generally wacky. It's worth reading for not only for the sexual misshaps, but also for the sweet, subtle way that Stead voices her inimitable narrator. Why there was not a movie version of this made in the 70's is beyond my grasp.

McKenzie Wark
I read a different edition, but whatever. Its a terrific novel, way ahead of its time. Stead is writing a satire of the 'progressive' middle classes, which despite their supposed beliefs are just as obsessed with property as any other middle class.
"You know love isn't something mystic; it's a bloody real thing, there's nothing realer; and it grows out of all that madness at night, that growing together in the night, that thing without eyes, but with legs, that fit of convulsions, all that we had-you know what love is."-
Letty Fox

After reading "The man who loved children" I jumped into Letty Fox without hesitation, I was prepared for another amazing read, filled with odd characters, laughs, drama, and a series of interesting perspectives t
LETTY FOX: HER LUCK. (1946). Christina Stead. ***.
I have to admit up front that I only made it half-way through this novel – 300 pages or so. At that point I came to realize that the plot had not advanced even a little from the first pages. Letty, a young girl when we meet her, tells the story of her growing up in a very dysfunctional family. Her mother and father were separated. Her mother was constantly trying to figure out how to get her husband back again, while he was always parrying each
For ways to read this book, see Tim Parks' useful and multifaceted introduction. To which I add that Stead is the last word on the genre of the Complaint Epic, and that Letty anticipates the concerns of contemporary women's commercial fiction by 40-50 years. An incredibly difficult book to read, but worth it for Stead's artistry and ambition.
OR a Survey of Heterosexuality in NYC in the 30s and 40s. Ends with a triumphant marriage. Seriously? On the other hand, interesting observations about radicalism of the period.
A moving, deeply-felt novel about some very fucked-up characters. The author's voice is unique and the writing is outstanding; I wish more of her books were in print.
Ann marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Suzette marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Lynecia marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Damon Lord
Damon Lord marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Amber Rose
Amber Rose marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Jacob marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Zara Riches
Zara Riches marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Marcine Miller
Marcine Miller marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Valerie marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Eunice Estremera
Eunice Estremera marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Janelly marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Skid Ahmed
Skid Ahmed marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Guy marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Bill FromPA
Bill FromPA marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
  • Great Granny Webster
  • The Death of Napoleon
  • Mawrdew Czgowchwz
  • The Pilgrim Hawk
Christina Stead (1902–1983) was an Australian writer regarded as one of the twentieth century’s master novelists. Stead spent most of her writing life in Europe and the United States, and her varied residences acted as the settings for a number of her novels. She is best known for The Man Who Loved Children (1940), which was praised by author Jonathan Franzen as a “crazy, gorgeous family novel” an ...more
More about Christina Stead...
The Man Who Loved Children For Love Alone Seven Poor Men of Sydney The Salzburg Tales I'm Dying Laughing

“I shall never be a dangerous woman; I can make men love, but I cannot make them suffer. It would be much better the other way about. I have seen women able to make men suffer who could not make them love. The more they suffered the more they hung around for a showdown. In the end they did better than I, for it is strange what people will do to be able to suffer and say to themselves, in the night, “I have suffered, I have lived indeed.” 8 likes