Start by marking “Manhood Restored: How the Gospel Makes Men Whole” as Want to Read:
Manhood Restored: How the Gospel Makes Men Whole

Manhood Restored: How the Gospel Makes Men Whole

The earthly crisis within manhood will be there until Jesus returns, but in Christ men are pointed toward the gospel as the vision for renewal. Manhood Restored by exciting new pastoral voice Eric Mason combines theological depth with practical insights, putting men in step with a gospel-centered manhood that will enrich every facet of their lives.

Mason begins with The Sco
Published May 1st 2013 by B&H Books

To ask other readers questions about Manhood Restored, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manhood Restored

Mathew
May 10, 2013 Mathew rated it really liked it
Eric Mason writes a much needed corrective for our current fatherless epidemic. We live in an age where you have a 50/50 chance of having or not having a father. Eric addresses this from within his context and with the gospel.

What I loved. First, Mason says, “We need fathers, and we’re only going to be fathers to our children when we see that true fatherhood is rooted and defined in God the Father” (p. 3 see pp. 9-10). Understanding this is crucial for rooting out our current fatherhood epidemic
Josh L.
Apr 29, 2016 Josh L. rated it it was ok
A very general book about manhood. In fact, nearly everything advocated for men is also just simple Christ-likeness for women. Those things specific to men were not theologically well-developed but relied on inference and cultural assumptions based on millenia of male - female relations.
Jeanie
Jun 27, 2013 Jeanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Don't let the title fool you into thinking that this study is just for men. So many of us, men and women included have no ideal what biblical manhood looks like. We start in the humanity of Christ coming as a man not because it is a diss towards women but to compliment women. This is a powerful truthful study. Truthful in that it deals with issues that don't make exceptions but to take ownership of who God called us to be in our gender roles. Each chapter deals with issues that make or break of ...more
Brian Pate
Jun 18, 2015 Brian Pate rated it really liked it
We have a manhood crisis today. Men fail to fulfill their responsibility as image-bearers. Too many men function as “emotional children,” for which Mason faults the mythological stage known as “adolescence.” Jesus is the answer: he is the “prototype man for men” (45), the ideal pattern of man in the image of God like we were supposed to be—and into which we are being restored. As men are restored into the image of Christ, it will radically transform their worldview (ch. 4), sexuality (ch. 5), ...more
Nile
Aug 11, 2013 Nile rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-it
I will start by saying that this book is Biblically based and covers a lot of good topics. However, I felt that for such a short book, he covers too many topics as he tries to paint a picture of a godly man. I found his reasoning sporadic and he would jump from one thing to the next in a sort of disorganized fashion. He also treated each chapter very separately and repeated content he used in previous chapters. There were also a number of typographical/grammatical errors in the book that I think ...more
Calum
Jun 05, 2016 Calum rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although much of this book seemed as though it lacked direction, it was deeply seeded in the gospel and had a good deal of instruction to offer. I loved how it had Jesus at the centre, portraying Him as the quinessential picture of manhood, and drawing insights as to how we can learn from him and become better men ourselves. A quick and relatively interesting read.
Tim Baumgartner
I finished reading this book just prior to a youth retreat I served at for my school. The session I was leading was guys-only and I used some material from this book. I tried to fit all my notes here, but there's not enough space. It's elsewhere, but there's some REALLY good stuff in here:

Introduction
Men can have covenants, documents, strategies, and pragmatic principles, but without the gospel there is no authentic empowerment to execute what is laid out in them. (2)

Being that all creation has
Gord Davies
May 19, 2013 Gord Davies rated it really liked it
This is a must read for all men who are husbands or fathers or anyone who wants to be either!!!
Michael Boling
Jun 12, 2013 Michael Boling rated it it was amazing
Manhood – The very word conjures up a variety of mental images to include anything ranging from Chuck Norris to Tim “The Tool Man” Taylor. While those views of manhood are what most often is associated with that term, is that really the biblical picture of what a man was designed by God to be? Is manhood solely related to one’s ability to get their hands greasy from working on that classic muscle car or going out to hunt like Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty? Thankfully the answer is no to those ...more
José Bonhoeffer
Nov 22, 2016 José Bonhoeffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imperativo leer este libro!!

Este libro me ha ayudado mucho a poder centrar las directrices de mi vida y hombría en un sentido de llevar una relación personal con Jesus siguiendo su modelo de masculinidad. Ya sea que desees saber que es la hombría bíblica o estés en el proceso de niño a hombre , este libro marcará un punto de inflexión en tu significado de masculinidad bíblica. Léelo con oración y compártelo con tu líder o pastor de tu iglesia local.

Saludos desde Nicaragua.
Christina Allen
Oct 16, 2016 Christina Allen rated it did not like it
This book was terrible. Much of it was copper plate discipleship stuff that could apply to anyone. The male specific parts were unbiblical traditions of men being parsed as "the design of God". I about lost it when the author said that the death of Jesus on the cross makes you better in bed. Please stay away from this book. If you want to be like Christ, have His heart, and follow His ways, don't waste your money or time on this book.
Eric Chappell
Aug 24, 2016 Eric Chappell rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reading
"Another book on manhood?"

Eric Mason gets it. The Christian book market is flooded with books on biblical masculinity; so why read another one?

Well, for one: most of those books are steaming piles of moralistic drivel. Mason's book is a breath of fresh air. It's challenging, but ultimately rooted in and driven by the "newmanity" created by Jesus Christ in the gospel (see Eph 2).

Mason begins the book with God's plan and purpose for manhood revealed in Genesis 1. God holds the trademark on manh
Phillip Howell
Sep 15, 2016 Phillip Howell rated it really liked it
Overall it was okay. There was a lot of good content and points. I didn't think manhood and masculinity was ever clearly defined in such a way that it differed from femininity or womanhood. Many of the points about manhood in this book apply to women. I was reading looking for answers to those questions so I was left wanting. However, the general point of encouraging men to step up in the church and home was made pretty well. I thought the chapter on the church was only okay and I agreed with ...more
Samuel
Jul 01, 2016 Samuel rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of a Men's group that I participated in. One of the things that was mentioned up front was that this would not be the typical "mens group" due in large part to the book we were reading.

I'll say I have to agree. Mason doesn't tell us that we suck and that we need to try harder or here are four steps or 12 steps to being a better man. He instead points us to the ultimate example of masculinity Jesus Christ. Time and time again in the book he points men to the gospel and ho
Tony Beard
Jul 24, 2015 Tony Beard rated it really liked it
It's hardly a secret that churches are in need of men. Not, as Mark Driscoll used to say, boys who can shave. There are plenty of males of adult age in society, but still a lack of men.

Dr. Eric Mason spends the first several chapters laying out the diagnosis of ills caused by a lack of manhood. Whether is a need for leaders in society, in the church, or in the family, it seems we're missing a major component of how God had designed the world.

These first few chapters went slow for me, and wasn't
Samuel Lam
Jan 16, 2014 Samuel Lam rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any man who believes in Jesus.
This was part of a discussion series with the men of my church. We used this as a basis of trying to learn more about ourselves as men of God and how we can grow within the church as such. It taught us what we as men tend to do that separate us from the church and God and what ways we can break that chain and grow in Him. This was a good book in understanding some things that we are as men and some things the church does to help or hurt the relationship. It's a good look into something that I ...more
Mario Generoso
Jan 28, 2014 Mario Generoso rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great book. I recognize there are many books written on Manhood and the popular subject of "Being a Man of God" and much of what is written has been repeated. Eric Mason does a great job of intermixing his personal experience and God's calling for men. I appreciate the reminder to not be tempted to please man. Mason reminds us that Jesus was also tempted to please. As men we are constantly faced with pressure to please those around us in all we do.

The chapter on the restore
Thomas Kuhn
Apr 02, 2014 Thomas Kuhn rated it did not like it
Dr. Mason clearly knows his Bible well and has a heart for men's ministry but I found this book wholly unhelpful. Mason makes many broad generalizations about the "feminization" of the church in his last chapter that decry feminine influence as a unilaterally bad thing. I felt that in affirming Biblical manhood he went too far into discouraging and often discounting biblical womanhood. Also this might be a bit nit-picky, but he uses terms like "manly" without defining what he means. I get the ...more
Tim
Oct 14, 2013 Tim rated it liked it
If I'm being honest (and I am!), this was a let-down. Of the Eric Mason sermons I have seen online, I really enjoy his humor, passion, and intensity. Those traits, however, do not translate to this text.

Mason's take on worldview, sexuality, vision, family, and church are all broad looks--and there are much better resources out there on each of these topics. I think a reader is better suited to read a book on each topic rather than the vague and watered-down version of each topic that Mason pres
Andy Doyle
Apr 23, 2015 Andy Doyle rated it it was amazing
I read this as part of a Saturday Morning Men's Breakfast. This book is incredible! Eric Mason describes the vision the Bible provides for manhood, and how that applies today. Some of the verse's from the Bible referenced in this book I was unfamiliar with. I looked them up and was amazed at what I found.

All mend should read this. Buy an extra copy to give to a young man who's just reaching adulthood!
Nat
Feb 15, 2015 Nat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a BIBLICAL book on manhood

There is a plethora of books on manhood in print. All tend to focus on "manly" traits and methodology. Mason focuses more on God's work in making men, well, men.

I thought some of the cultural illustrations were unnecessary, but the insights, use of scripture, and biblical call to manhood were well received by this reader.

Immensely quotable and applicable.
Jeff
Oct 02, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it
Mason does a good job about the roles that men should be in the church and especially how the older men need to help the younger men. Also, his chapter on sex is one of the best I've read in a while.

I do think it gets weaker towards the end with the feminization of the church. I don't know that it is fully supported in the Bible, but his points are well understood.

I heard Pastor Mason speak at the "Main Event" in Nashville and I really enjoy his preaching.
John
Apr 13, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
This book gave me a deep understanding of the restoration of manhood that can be seen in the life, death and resurrection of the God-Man Christ Jesus. As a man, Eric points all men to what a true man looks like in Christ. Our culture is constantly preaching to us the opposite of what the Sacred Text teaches, and we need gospel saturated and theologically stalwart men like Mason to point us to the masculinity of th Savior.
Marc Minter
Aug 01, 2013 Marc Minter rated it really liked it
Again and again Dr. Eric Mason points us to the picture of masculinity, the theanthropic Jesus Christ, and calls us to be the men that only God - through the Gospel - can make us. This work will indeed provoke and beckon men to lay aside their selfish, frustrating, small-vision boyhood. Be men! Captivated by the Redeemer and empowered by His Spirit through the reality of the Gospel - to the glory of the Father!
Tyler Hurst
Mar 27, 2016 Tyler Hurst rated it really liked it
I have read a lot of books on manhood, this is one of the best because rather than just stating what fallen manhood looks like (like sociology texts) or stating what manhood was suppose to look like (like some theology texts) Mason touches on both but mostly articulates the restoration of masculinity on a practical level because of the gospel.
Jacob Stevens
I enjoyed the tone of the book. It was definitely written for men. However, I was a bit let down by the lack of practical steps to take with the excellent knowledge and theology that the book presented. I enjoyed the authors continued stress that we are fighting back for manhood from a position of victory because of what Jesus has already done and completed.
Benjamin
Aug 04, 2015 Benjamin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very much enjoyed this book and took hold of some good challenges

Sometimes he'd say the same things over and said s few things I'm not sure how I felt about but overall really enjoyed the challenges he presents to men and I feel that it has and will continue to shape me in the journey of manhood.
Jason
Oct 18, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it
Manhood restored fills a evangelical gap for the men of our society by taking a fresh look at how manhood can be restored by looking at and through the person and work of Jesus. Dr. Mason does a good job of weaving scriptural truth into a modern context. I recommend men (esp young men) read this book.
Richard Minor
May 24, 2014 Richard Minor rated it really liked it
This is a great read for men who want to understand what manhood was created to be, the failures of men since the Fall, the way men are currently failing, how manhood is restored in Christ, and our imitation of the Ultimate Man: Jesus Christ. I found the book to be a great book on manhood and will be recommending it to many men.
Grace Kelly
Mar 07, 2014 Grace Kelly rated it it was amazing
Would recommend this book to all guys out there. This book is short and to the point of how God has created men to worship him in a Christ centered way. It gives practical insight of struggles and how we can over come and be strengthened in the power of God's grace for us and begin to reflect this in and through our lives. Well written and explained book.
  • The Dude's Guide to Manhood: Finding True Manliness in a World of Counterfeits
  • The Masculine Mandate: God's Calling to Men
  • Community: Taking Your Small Group off Life Support (Re:Lit)
  • Finding Faithful Elders and Deacons
  • Counsel from the Cross: Connecting Broken People to the Love of Christ
  • A Guide to Biblical Manhood
  • Is God anti-gay?: And other questions about homosexuality, the Bible and same-sex attraction
  • A Call to Resurgence
  • Becoming Worldly Saints: Can You Serve Jesus and Still Enjoy Your Life?
  • Father Hunger: Why God Calls Men to Love and Lead Their Families
  • Mistakes Leaders Make
  • A Neglected Grace: Family Worship in the Christian Home
  • Family Shepherds: Calling and Equipping Men to Lead Their Homes
  • Accidental Pharisees: Avoiding Pride, Exclusivity, and the Other Dangers of Overzealous Faith
  • What's Best Next: How the Gospel Transforms the Way You Get Things Done
  • Gospel-Centered Discipleship
  • Creature of the Word: The Jesus-Centered Church
  • PROOF: Finding Freedom through the Intoxicating Joy of Irresistible Grace

“Abandonment - and that's precisely what it is-is never a solution. It never takes away pain, but only adds to it.” 3 likes
“Being healthy in steadfastness is power need in our day of entitlement. Entitlement thinks it deserves what it receives, but steadfastness is instead thankful for what it receives because it teaches appreciation through challenge.” 2 likes