Start by marking “Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance” as Want to Read:
Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance

Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  416 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Frank was a monster who wanted to dance. So he put on his hat, and his shoes made in France...and opened a jar and put ants in his pants! So begins this monstrously funny, deliciously disgusting, horrifyingly hilarious story of a monster who follows his dream. Keith Graves' wacky illustrations and laugh-out-loud text will tickle the funny bone and leave readers clamoring f ...more
Published February 1st 1999 by Chronicle Books

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakLeonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo WillemsThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneGo Away, Big Green Monster! by Ed EmberleyEven Monsters Need Haircuts by Matthew McElligott
Picture Books with Monsters
26th out of 129 books — 31 voters
The Legend of Dust Bunnies, a Fairy's Tale by Michelle R. EastmanThe Lorax by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Rhyming Fairy Tale Books
6th out of 9 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Ruhama
This book was posted on PUBYAC recently--a librarian was concerned that it was too traumatic for preschoolers, especially after she used it in a storytime and the kids seemed stunned. So I decided to see if she had a right to be concerned, or if her kids just had an off day...

Frank(enstein) is a slightly grotesque green-headed monster who wants to go on Soul Train to strut his stuff. So he puts on his best outfit and heads over to the TV studio and wows the crowd. The problem is Frank is more wi
Camie
Target audience 1st grade boys ...enough said!!
Cheryl
Pretty funny. I like the attention to detail: Frank's 'bunny' slippers were actually 'rat' slippers, and the cat was apparently created by the same mad scientist who created Frank. In with the humor was a message about doing what you brings you joy, whether others agree or not, even in the face of adversity. The more I think about, the more I like it. 3.5 stars.
Samantha
Frankenstein (Frank) gets in the mood to groove. He heads to a local theater (after putting ants in his pants) and really wows the crowd. When he starts falling apart piece by piece the audience leaves, but Frank continues to strut his stuff.

A funny/creepy read aloud that will appeal to middle grade boys who dig gross stuff. PreK-2.
Michelle
This is a very fun book with fun illustrations. This would be fun to read at Halloween...and I know a few boys who would like to have it out all year long. If they like Parts by Ted Arnold they will really like this one.
Stacy Fetters
Frank was a monster who wanted to dance so he put mother fucking ants in his pants and he danced, danced and danced. He danced so much some of his parts fell off. His brain tumbled out of his head and his eye dropped out of his face and rolled out the door. As he danced and dazzled. Everyone was shrieking and frazzled. Terrifying all who has seen... frank the dancing machine. Nothing fazed frank and he danced the night away.
Love this book. I read it a few times before returning it to the library
Erin
Sep 23, 2007 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children of all ages
Just pulled this one out for the season and I loved it. I laughed out loud. Happy Halloween.
Dawn
Today we watched this book on Tumblebooks (indoor recess day again!). Some had read it before and said, "No!!! Not while we're eating!" Ohers shouted, "Yes! I love this!" My kids laughed their head's off!! Er, I mean, they really enjoyed it.

In the story, Frank wants to dance and so he puts ants in his pants. He dances and dances and dances so much he starts to fall apart - including his head falling off. We had to play it two times today just so everyone could laugh and laugh again.

This would be
Brooke Prothero
This is SO fun! Frank was a monster who wanted to Dance. "I know I could boogie if they gave me a chance!" So he put on his hat and his shoes made in France and opened a jar and put ants in his pants! He drove to the theater and jumped onstage. Then he danced like his shoe size instead of his age! Frank shook his shoulder and strutted his stuff. The audience screamed they couldn't get enough! Frank did a cartwheel, Frank did a flip. Suddenly his head began to unzip!!

The kids giggle and giggle a
Amy Musser
Frank was a monster who wanted to dance. So he gets all gussied up, throws some ants in his pants, and he’s off to the theater. There he wows the audience with his spectacular moves, until his brain begins to unzip. It’s all downhill from there, with an eyeball bouncing away and arms falling out of sleeves. The audience flees in terror, but Frank just says to himself with a one-eyed glance, “I might be a monster, but man can I dance!”

Yes, this book is a little bit gruesome and it’s definitely no
Book Girl
This book is a bout a monster name Frank who wants to dance so he goes on stage and he dances and dances.Then all of a sudden the crowd starts to scream! read the book to find out what happens.
Whitney Rachel
Read it during storytime and the wee ones got a kick out of it. It's pretty darn funny and the illustrations are great.
Karen
This book has so many uses in education! Loved it!
Alysha Gaskins
Easy read and kids LOVE it.
Dianne Casas
This horrifying humorous tale begins with a monster named Frank who wanted to dance. Written in wiggly, wriggly rhyme, he…

“…opened a jar and put ants in his pants.”

Frank drives to the theater, gets on stage, and the audience screams… for more! Then…

“Frank did a cartwheel.
Frank did a flip.
Suddenly his head began to unzip.”

That’s when things get hairy. It’s gruesomely funny and devilishly delightful. It’s gross, yucky, and totally “kewl.” Perfect for entertainly older kids at story time!
Bobby
Perfect for Halloween of course but really it's just too good to not be used year around. This is going on the to-buy-for-the-little-kid list. The central message will be admired by any parent: pursue what your heart desires despite how others may judge you. May not be suitable for some younger/fragile kids who might be upset by the thought/illustration of Frank's brain falling out...though IMHO the illustration style is so benign at Frank is about as scary as Shrek or the monsters from Monsters ...more
Echo
Apr 03, 2008 Echo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: again, mom's with boys
Shelves: read-with-kids
You can usually only get this book around Halloween, but ours never gets put away with Halloween books. All of my boys love to read this one, from 2 to 6, it's just a great book. The books really takes off after Frank's brain falls out of his head & on to the stage. Various parts fall off until everyone in the audience has left screaming & Frank does a great finale while his head falls off. Really, the gross humor of it & fun rhyming are just made for boys. It's really fun!
Leah
A cute but slightly gross story about a zombie whose love for dancing proves too much for his barely held together body to handle, resulting in brains, arms, legs and more falling out on the stage. A great read for Halloween, though might need to be careful about the brain spilling out part with the younger crowd.

I've been reading this book in Summer Reading Club outreach and it's a real crowd pleaser!
Alice
2.75 This book was headed for a 4 ish star until...his brains fall out...GROSS! I really wanted to like it but just didn't like the graphic gore. I was told the kids would "LOVE IT" as they love gross stuff, but once his head fell off his neck...I just had to run...I so wanted to love this Dancing Monster...but it fell flat!
Mary
This is a perfect book to read to ECE level kids. Frank is a monster, but he's not scary at all. And all he wants to do is dance! He finally gets to dance, and at first it's delightful. Little by little, though, he starts to fall apart and scares the whole audience away!

It is written in fun rhymes with great pictures. I definitely recommend this!
Janette
Nov 03, 2008 Janette rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a cute Halloween story for children
Recommended to Janette by: found it at the local library
Shelves: children-s-books
My kids loved this fun Halloween story about a monsters who loves to dance. The illistrations are bright and fun. I picked it at the library becauses I loved the picture, and the story doesn't disappoint either. There is talk of brains falling out and body parts coming undone but not in a way that scares children.. more makes them laugh.
Alysia
This is a simple rhyming story designed to make you giggle. The humor is a little morbid, frankenstein's monster kind of way.... but not depicted overtly. THe art is fun, the comments from the people in the background add humor. I read this several times every year as part of my fall celebration. My boys love to giggle through it, too.
Cassie
Ages 3 and up. I love the artwork in this book! It's silly and funny, and I can see boys especially enjoying the story. The rhyming helps with phonological awareness, and there are text bubbles throughout that can help with print awareness. Can also be connected with dancing activities to promote children to play.
Tricia
I loved this book. It's clever, and funny. Frank wants to dance, but he's more enthusiastic than his body can handle, and soon parts are flying. There is rhyme and cadence to the story. While it may not be for the very young, the young and the young at heart will enjoy the humor and the tempo of the story.
Dolly
Nov 09, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is hilariously funny and pretty gross at the same time. It's a fun Halloween read and the rhyming narrative and comical illustrations will have kids coming back for more. It's not too scary, just kinda gross. Recommend for young elementary school children - they will love it. Ours did!
Mar 15, 2011 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone!
Shelves: eled340, picture-book
It's a cute story about a monster who just wanted to dance. When he got on the stage all of his body parts started coming out but he danced to the best of his ability and had a blast doing it.

-Don't care what others think of you
-Just have fun being yourself!
Tam
Cute Halloween rhyming book!

Excerpt from the book:
"Frank was a monster who wanted to dance.
'I know I could boogie if they gave me a chance.'
So he put on his hat and his shoes made in France
and opened a jar and put ants in his pants."
Cassie
Aug 15, 2011 Cassie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young kids who like gruesome, icky stuff and MONSTERS!
Frank decides to dance for an audience, but can they handle it when he starts to fall apart? A short romp for younger kids who like things a little bit gruesome.

Love the attention to detail in the pictures!
KMC
Simple, told in rhyme, lots of nice details in the illustrations, unexpected gross scenarios, very funny. This would be great for storytimes about dancing, monsters, Halloween, and gross humor.
Erin
Not worth reading at all, which is probably why I read it for free online. It does say "what the heck?" in the book which I didn't think was really appropriate for school to read to the class.
  • I Need My Monster
  • My Monster Mama Loves Me So
  • Mostly Monsterly
  • Skeleton Hiccups
  • Bone Soup
  • Stretch
  • Zombie in Love
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • There Was An Old Monster!
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Ribbit!
  • Open Very Carefully: A Book with Bite
  • Sylvie
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • Waking Beauty
Chicken Big The Orphan of Awkward Falls The Monsterator Three Nasty Gnarlies The Unexpectedly Bad Hair of Barcelona Smith