Start by marking “Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance” as Want to Read:
Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance

Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  569 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Frank was a monster who wanted to dance. So he put on his hat, and his shoes made in France...and opened a jar and put ants in his pants! So begins this monstrously funny, deliciously disgusting, horrifyingly hilarious story of a monster who follows his dream. Keith Graves' wacky illustrations and laugh-out-loud text will tickle the funny bone and leave readers clamoring f ...more
Published February 1st 1999 by Chronicle Books

Ruhama
Jul 10, 2009 Ruhama rated it really liked it
This book was posted on PUBYAC recently--a librarian was concerned that it was too traumatic for preschoolers, especially after she used it in a storytime and the kids seemed stunned. So I decided to see if she had a right to be concerned, or if her kids just had an off day...

Frank(enstein) is a slightly grotesque green-headed monster who wants to go on Soul Train to strut his stuff. So he puts on his best outfit and heads over to the TV studio and wows the crowd. The problem is Frank is more wi
Camie
Oct 19, 2014 Camie rated it liked it
Target audience 1st grade boys ...enough said!!
Melissa
Feb 15, 2015 Melissa added it
Shelves: ypl
Great for Halloween. Has the yuck factor.
Samantha
Frankenstein (Frank) gets in the mood to groove. He heads to a local theater (after putting ants in his pants) and really wows the crowd. When he starts falling apart piece by piece the audience leaves, but Frank continues to strut his stuff.

A funny/creepy read aloud that will appeal to middle grade boys who dig gross stuff. PreK-2.
Michelle
This is a very fun book with fun illustrations. This would be fun to read at Halloween...and I know a few boys who would like to have it out all year long. If they like Parts by Ted Arnold they will really like this one.
Stacy Fetters
Aug 01, 2014 Stacy Fetters rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Frank was a monster who wanted to dance so he put mother fucking ants in his pants and he danced, danced and danced. He danced so much some of his parts fell off. His brain tumbled out of his head and his eye dropped out of his face and rolled out the door. As he danced and dazzled. Everyone was shrieking and frazzled. Terrifying all who has seen... frank the dancing machine. Nothing fazed frank and he danced the night away.
Love this book. I read it a few times before returning it to the library
Erin
Sep 23, 2007 Erin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children of all ages
Just pulled this one out for the season and I loved it. I laughed out loud. Happy Halloween.
Dawn
Feb 11, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it
Today we watched this book on Tumblebooks (indoor recess day again!). Some had read it before and said, "No!!! Not while we're eating!" Ohers shouted, "Yes! I love this!" My kids laughed their head's off!! Er, I mean, they really enjoyed it.

In the story, Frank wants to dance and so he puts ants in his pants. He dances and dances and dances so much he starts to fall apart - including his head falling off. We had to play it two times today just so everyone could laugh and laugh again.

This would be
Brooke Prothero
Oct 21, 2011 Brooke Prothero rated it it was amazing
This is SO fun! Frank was a monster who wanted to Dance. "I know I could boogie if they gave me a chance!" So he put on his hat and his shoes made in France and opened a jar and put ants in his pants! He drove to the theater and jumped onstage. Then he danced like his shoe size instead of his age! Frank shook his shoulder and strutted his stuff. The audience screamed they couldn't get enough! Frank did a cartwheel, Frank did a flip. Suddenly his head began to unzip!!

The kids giggle and giggle a
Amy Forrester
Frank was a monster who wanted to dance. So he gets all gussied up, throws some ants in his pants, and he’s off to the theater. There he wows the audience with his spectacular moves, until his brain begins to unzip. It’s all downhill from there, with an eyeball bouncing away and arms falling out of sleeves. The audience flees in terror, but Frank just says to himself with a one-eyed glance, “I might be a monster, but man can I dance!”

Yes, this book is a little bit gruesome and it’s definitely no
Liz
Jun 12, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
It's creepy and it's kooky...

Amusing story with good rhymes and hilarious illustrations.

I had been recommended the title for a storytime, but thought (spoiler alert) the part in which the monster falls apart on stage would be upsetting for the little ones.

School-aged kids, however, will probably love this one.
Kristin King
Jan 19, 2015 Kristin King rated it liked it
One son gave this 5 stars and the other gave it 1 star. The 1 star didn't like the body parts falling and the people screaming. The 5 star liked that he was trying his best to dance and not hurt himself and did not get upset at the people.
Book Girl
Nov 02, 2014 Book Girl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a bout a monster name Frank who wants to dance so he goes on stage and he dances and dances.Then all of a sudden the crowd starts to scream! read the book to find out what happens.
Tara
Feb 25, 2016 Tara rated it it was amazing
I love a good monster book. This one is pretty cute, has a definite yuck factor which is great. Very cute story and fun illustrations.
Jenny
Feb 22, 2015 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
I think most kids of grammar school age would get a kick out of this. Younger kids may be disturbed by the monster falling apart.
Whitney Rachel
Sep 06, 2014 Whitney Rachel rated it really liked it
Read it during storytime and the wee ones got a kick out of it. It's pretty darn funny and the illustrations are great.
Lori Rogers
Apr 07, 2015 Lori Rogers rated it it was amazing
My son can still recite this book, and he's 15. I can do several lines myself. Absolute fun.
Ms Threlkeld
Mar 01, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very silly story that had me giggling the entire time. Great read aloud around Halloween.
Jason Martin
Feb 10, 2016 Jason Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Not my favorite illustration style but Keith Graves wrote a great children's book!
Karen
Oct 02, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
This book has so many uses in education! Loved it!
Margaux
Oct 15, 2015 Margaux rated it it was amazing
I just died laughing. Oh my god.
Alysha Gaskins
Sep 19, 2014 Alysha Gaskins rated it really liked it
Easy read and kids LOVE it.
Mariah
Aug 22, 2015 Mariah rated it really liked it
Children love it.
Mrs. Peura
Feb 04, 2015 Mrs. Peura rated it liked it
Ewww!
Dianne Casas
May 08, 2012 Dianne Casas rated it it was amazing
This horrifying humorous tale begins with a monster named Frank who wanted to dance. Written in wiggly, wriggly rhyme, he…

“…opened a jar and put ants in his pants.”

Frank drives to the theater, gets on stage, and the audience screams… for more! Then…

“Frank did a cartwheel.
Frank did a flip.
Suddenly his head began to unzip.”

That’s when things get hairy. It’s gruesomely funny and devilishly delightful. It’s gross, yucky, and totally “kewl.” Perfect for entertainly older kids at story time!
Bobby
Jan 24, 2012 Bobby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Perfect for Halloween of course but really it's just too good to not be used year around. This is going on the to-buy-for-the-little-kid list. The central message will be admired by any parent: pursue what your heart desires despite how others may judge you. May not be suitable for some younger/fragile kids who might be upset by the thought/illustration of Frank's brain falling out...though IMHO the illustration style is so benign at Frank is about as scary as Shrek or the monsters from Monsters ...more
Echo
Apr 03, 2008 Echo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: again, mom's with boys
Shelves: read-with-kids
You can usually only get this book around Halloween, but ours never gets put away with Halloween books. All of my boys love to read this one, from 2 to 6, it's just a great book. The books really takes off after Frank's brain falls out of his head & on to the stage. Various parts fall off until everyone in the audience has left screaming & Frank does a great finale while his head falls off. Really, the gross humor of it & fun rhyming are just made for boys. It's really fun!
Leah
A cute but slightly gross story about a zombie whose love for dancing proves too much for his barely held together body to handle, resulting in brains, arms, legs and more falling out on the stage. A great read for Halloween, though might need to be careful about the brain spilling out part with the younger crowd.

I've been reading this book in Summer Reading Club outreach and it's a real crowd pleaser!
Alice
Dec 09, 2014 Alice rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-75-stars
2.75 This book was headed for a 4 ish star until...his brains fall out...GROSS! I really wanted to like it but just didn't like the graphic gore. I was told the kids would "LOVE IT" as they love gross stuff, but once his head fell off his neck...I just had to run...I so wanted to love this Dancing Monster...but it fell flat!
Mary
This is a perfect book to read to ECE level kids. Frank is a monster, but he's not scary at all. And all he wants to do is dance! He finally gets to dance, and at first it's delightful. Little by little, though, he starts to fall apart and scares the whole audience away!

It is written in fun rhymes with great pictures. I definitely recommend this!
  • My Monster Mama Loves Me So
  • Wiggle
  • There Was An Old Monster!
  • Mostly Monsterly
  • Skeleton Hiccups
  • Sipping Spiders Through A Straw: Campfire Songs For Monsters
  • Sylvie
  • Bone Soup
  • I Need My Monster
  • Shake Dem Halloween Bones
  • Cha-Cha Chimps
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Ten Little Mummies
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • Jump!
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »