Start by marking “The First Lie (The Lying Game #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The First Lie (The Lying Game #0.5)

The First Lie (The Lying Game 0.5)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  2,171 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
Featuring Sutton Mercer before her tragic death, this stand-alone digital original novella from #1 New York Times bestselling author Sara Shepard is an exciting, must-read companion to the Lying Game series.

Back when she was alive, Sutton kept a million secrets. But how she got together with Thayer is her juiciest one of all. . . .

It's the summer before junior year and Sut
Published December 18th 2012 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The First Lie, please sign up.

Trina (Between Chapters) No, not at all. I read this when I was only on book 4 as well (and had wondered the same thing). It's set a year before the first book and just shows…moreNo, not at all. I read this when I was only on book 4 as well (and had wondered the same thing). It's set a year before the first book and just shows a little more insight about Sutton when she was alive and the Lying Game group.(less)
Jennifer This isn't a place to actually read books. It's a place to talk about and review books that you've already read and perhaps find out information about…moreThis isn't a place to actually read books. It's a place to talk about and review books that you've already read and perhaps find out information about books you haven't. You can also create virtual bookshelves for yourself, organizing the bike you've already read or want to read into various categories of your choosing.

There are also links to online bookstore under each book listing, which will take you to where you can legally purchase your own copy.(less)

Arya *Bibliomaniac!* Fraser Stark
Eh...An unnecessary addition, as all this was sort of explained in the 1st two books.

Unique view from Sutton's.

But still no explanation of why the hell the parents decided to name their kid Sutton.

.....SUTTON

description

Oh, and don't forget Thayer.

Thayer???

Parents must hate them.

description

Just...for the time and place that the books take place in, it was just like Shepard was reaching for some pizzaz when there really wasn't any.

I mean, I've lived in Vegas and names were more tame than those. Even the STRIPPER na
Kate ♡
Feb 25, 2015 Kate ♡ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-read
Amazing novella from my favourite series.
Beautifully written and a great insight into what Suttons life and her relationship with Thayer was like before everything went down!

Loved it, and totally recommend if you're a fan of the series!
Joanna Marie
Apr 04, 2013 Joanna Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Okay so I remember the movie Mean Girls from this novella and all the Miss Popularity-ranking, prank-ing, backstabbing, flirting and all lies that all flourish in high school and this concept has been used over and over again since no doubt, it's realistic BUT like what I felt after watching the movie and teasing the girls when they finally learned their lessons, I'm still amused by The Lying Game and how it all started.

I'm even as eager everytime I watch Pretty Little Liars to find out their s
Chopette
Mar 12, 2013 Chopette rated it liked it
Even though this is only a very short novella I knew I had to have it. Sutton although sometimes a complete bitch of a character has always intrigued me and I have embraced her from the start. I couldn't wait to get more insight into the type of character Sutton was before she was murdered. This was a great little novella but it doesn't really add much to the overall series at all. I was hoping for some hidden clues about who killed Sutton but there wasn't any. Guess I will just have to continue ...more
Shannon
Jul 13, 2015 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I liked this book but it wasn't something special. The story was fun the read but the spoiled behaviour of Sutton annoyed me so hard. What they did to Thayer was unbelievable and so mean and I don't understand how he forgave Sutton that fast. Yet I'm really curious for the first book in this series.
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Dec 20, 2012 Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner rated it really liked it
Shelves: hot-guys, thriller
Oh,Thayer,Thayer. What you do to me... When he pulled the chair Sutton was sitting on... *fans herself* This boy if just amazing.

Sutton started out as a bitch but somewhere along the way she finally started to show her feelings to Thayer and they connected.

Hope we find out she isn't dead so they can be together again though he has great chemistry with Emma.

Fingers crossed Ethan ends up as the bad guy.
Kimmy
Mar 14, 2013 Kimmy rated it liked it
I don’t normally read novellas – for some reason, I’m not a big fan – but I do like this series, so I thought it would be worth a try. SPOILER ALERT for the main series – you’ve been warned!

Here is the Kobo store’s summary:

Back when she was alive, Sutton kept a million secrets. But how she go
Kelly Hager
Dec 17, 2012 Kelly Hager rated it liked it
This was a novella, not an actual story. And because Sutton is still alive, there's no Emma in this story. It was interesting to see Sutton as a person (as opposed to as a ghost or to see Emma pretending to be Sutton).

I have been enjoying this series and this novella helps. It's good to get to see how Sutton really was, and I think she was a lot more sympathetic than she's been so far in the brief flashbacks we've seen in The Lying Game. (I think it's also safe to say that The Lying Game is real
Avril Marin
Dec 24, 2012 Avril Marin rated it it was amazing
this ebook was amazing! it allowed us to see more of Sutton which i really liked..but it makes me mad how she onlys cares about herself. another thing was that it was wayyy too SHORT when i finished it i was like "Whoa Im done already!?!" So yeah it made me want to know more about Sutton before she died but again this ebook was too short, should have been longer cause i want to read more of Sutton's POV :)
Sharon Mariampillai
I thought this was an okay read. I am not to invested in this series as I was with the PLL series. I liked Sawyer and Thayer's relationship in this book. I understand the characters a little bit better which makes me happy. I will continue the series to see how it ends. Hopefully, I will like the series more as I read them.
Kez Green
Dec 30, 2012 Kez Green rated it it was amazing
Evey
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

If only this one would've been longer... Thayer is such a cutie, and I sure as hell need to know what happened between him and Sutton.
Sabaaaaaa ☺
Nov 30, 2015 Sabaaaaaa ☺ rated it really liked it
A quick read that gives you an insider of what everything was like before
Aseel Mujahed
Shelves: sara-shepard
it was boring ...
Alberto Balderas
Apr 13, 2016 Alberto Balderas rated it it was amazing
Great story to know more about Sutton and Thayer's past. Sutton in true nature.
Meave
Feb 18, 2013 Meave added it
I don't even like this series. It's like eating a stale grocery store cupcake.
Brittany
Oct 18, 2013 Brittany rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: The Lying Game diehards
How I Came To Read This Book: I literally read the other Lying Game novella (out of order by mistake) yesterday and wanted to get back in line with the series' order, so I picked this one up today and sped through it during my lunch break.

The Plot: The book documents the earliest days between Sutton and Thayer, and helps shed light on how he would ever come to fall for her, and why their relationship was decidedly secret. When The Lying Game girls dare Sutton to make Thayer fall for her after he
Nicole
Feb 26, 2017 Nicole rated it it was amazing
The First Lie is a novella in the Lying Game series.

Sutton is a master of the lying game and loves to constantly make the stakes higher and the pranks bigger. When her best friend's brother comes back from soccer camp full of confidence the girls decide to knock him down a few pegs. Always doing a big prank at the start of the school year Sutton toys with Thayer and plays a dangerous game.

Since this is a novella it was short but it felt like a full coherent story. I was thrilled to read somethi
Lisa Ottone
Nov 04, 2013 Lisa Ottone rated it liked it
This novella, The First Lie, was short but sweet. It takes place before the start of TLG, in the summer before Thayer runs away. I was under the impression that it would include the events surrounding Sutton's actual death, but it mostly just depicted Sutton and Thayer's weird relationship. Nonetheless, it was enjoyable and I would recommend reading it after the fourth book, Hide and Seek.

What I liked about this book is that it's different from the rest of TLG because it's told from Sutton's POV
Olivia
Jan 16, 2013 Olivia rated it really liked it
I will admit, I am a huge Sara Shepard fan. I honestly will read anything she will publish. She's probably going to make, I don't know, six more Lying Game books and you will see me there reading them all. I was so excited to read this! I read that it was suppose to be about Sutton and Thayer, who I love so much. This short novella takes place before Emma ever entered the picture, so I was excited to see how things will be.

There wasn't anything revealed in this book, but I did really like it. It
Noémy
Dec 15, 2012 Noémy rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, contemporary

EDIT 07.12.2013 : Well. I changed my mind and bought it. Yes the price is insanely high. I do wish someone would have just lent it to me. But guys, I caved in because I just love this series so dang MUCH (once upon a time I was completely obssessed with her PLL books as well but now I really am confident in saying that Emma and Sutton's series is my favorite out of the 2. The story just gets better and better). And that's the reason why i was so frustrated when I hit those final pages. I wanted
Nisha Vyas-Myall
Dec 29, 2014 Nisha Vyas-Myall rated it really liked it
Although we get to know Sutton through Emma's eyes during the course of The Lying Game, this novella really gets into Sutton's character- the side of her we don't get to see.

In a style similar to Ali's Pretty Little Lies, The First Lie gives us the story of how Sutton and Thayer ended up together and finally gives us the back story as to why Laurel resents Sutton so much. We also get to see Sutton's internal conflict- should she drop her Mean Girl ways, do right by her sister and herself but ris
Katrina Milly Alcantara
Mar 06, 2013 Katrina Milly Alcantara rated it really liked it
Pre-quel to the lying game series. But it would be better if you read this book before you read the 3rd part of the series. There are some parts on the book that might turn out as a spoiler between the 2 of the main characters that revolve on the 3rd part.

Though the entire series (from book 1 to whatever the series would lead to) do not include Sutton as a "living" person; you'd love to read this book because you'd understand more of Sutton's character.
Everything that she does most especially
Christina
Jun 20, 2014 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
It's back to school for the Lying Game girls and what better way to start Junior Year than with a prank! Thayer, Madeline's brother, is back from soccer camp, and almost unrecognisable from the quiet, scrawny kid Sutton used to know. Now he's hot, knows it and apparently still has a crush on Sutton. Using this fact to their advantage the girls come up with Operation Loverboy - get Thayer to fall in love with Sutton and then publicly humiliate him to put him back in his place.

The First Lie sheds
Vicki
Dec 31, 2012 Vicki rated it liked it
This novella was a good, quick read. The main character, Sutton, is just a little b----! However, I am going to give her a chance to redeem herself in the first book of the series.

Sutton is adopted and feels like she doesn't really receive as much love and attention as her sister, Laurel. Consequently, Sutton treats her sister terrible. I am not so sure I like Sutton's character because she is what I would call a "mean girl."

The book is short, so I didn't expect any ending to it as it; however,
bella
Aug 28, 2013 bella rated it it was amazing
In this novella, Sara Shepard tells the story of the summer before when Sutton is chasing after Thayer - all in the name of a prank for The Lying Game. What starts out as a prank ends up with Sutton feeling true feelings for Thayer, even though she convinces her friends it's just a prank.

I've only read the first two books in the Lying Game series. I've read a little about Sutton and Thayer's history and I was interested in finding out what happened to them. Their story unfolds in The First Lie.

I
Chloe Weintraub
Sep 01, 2015 Chloe Weintraub rated it it was amazing
The First Lie by Sara Shepard is a book about Sutton. She is a girl who lives in Tucson who has a group in school who is very popular. Every year her group and her do a series of pranks. The pranks are called The Lying Game. After pranking her friends brother by pretending like him, she starts to realize she actually had feelings for him. Sutton was conflicted! I can't wait to read more about her.

This series seems like another great series by Sara Shepard. I love how conflicted she makes Sutto
Ash
Mar 29, 2013 Ash rated it liked it
The First Lie: A Lying Game Novella is very short. I read it in a span of an hour. It really doesn't give anything to the overall Lying Game series point of view with Emma as this one takes place entirely from Sutton's point of view. The main reason for this novella's existence is to show the beginnings of the Sutton and Thayer romance.

I liked it because it was nice to see Sutton as Sutton: a corporeal, fully intact of mental capabilities Sutton and no misleading flashbacks. It was interesting t
Toolah hussain
Jan 01, 2014 Toolah hussain rated it liked it
How it all started, mostly..
I love the lying game and i loved this novella.
I think it's one of the best series i've read, i just love the mystery in it and how it was a light read.

I loved loved that it's the live sutton who's talking though i really thought we're gonna know more about what happend the night she died

But we did manage to find out more about sutton and thayer and how cute their relationship was. Even though i found thayer to be a little spooky for me

I don't remember much of wh
Sara Shepard Book...: The First Lie 3 17 Mar 09, 2013 07:50PM
  • Vengeance (Private, #14)
  • Switched at Birth: The True Story of a Mother's Journey
  • Devious (It Girl, #9)
  • Revenge of the Geek (Geek High, #4)
  • Rosewood Confidential: The Unofficial Companion to Pretty Little Liars
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Shattered (Shade, #3.5)
  • Taken (The Witches of Santa Anna, #17)
  • Once Beauty Twice Beast (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #7)
  • Mirror of Heaven (Wildworld, #3)
Sara Shepard graduated from NYU and has an MFA from Brooklyn College. She has lived in New York City, Brooklyn, Tucson, Arizona, Philadelphia, and now lives in Pittsburgh, PA. Sara's Pretty Little Liars novels were inspired by her upbringing in Philadelphia's Main Line.
More about Sara Shepard...

The Lying Game (6 books)
  • The Lying Game (The Lying Game, #1)
  • Never Have I Ever (The Lying Game, #2)
  • Two Truths and a Lie (The Lying Game, #3)
  • Hide and Seek (The Lying Game, #4)
  • Cross My Heart, Hope to Die (The Lying Game, #5)
  • Seven Minutes in Heaven (The Lying Game, #6)