The First Lie (The Lying Game #0.5)

The First Lie (The Lying Game 0.5)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,226 ratings  ·  113 reviews
Featuring Sutton Mercer before her tragic death, this stand-alone digital original novella from #1 New York Times bestselling author Sara Shepard is an exciting, must-read companion to the Lying Game series.

Back when she was alive, Sutton kept a million secrets. But how she got together with Thayer is her juiciest one of all. . . .

It's the summer before junior year and Sut...more
Published December 18th 2012 by HarperTeen

Ali's Pretty Little Lies by Sara ShepardCrushed by Sara ShepardPretty Little Secrets by Sara ShepardDeadly by Sara ShepardBurned by Sara Shepard
Books needed to complete series at library
24th out of 61 books — 38 voters
The Tree House by Shay LynamPlaces I Never Meant To Go by Shay LynamThe Trial by Shay LynamLegacies by Mercedes LackeyUnder Lock and Key by Robin Geesman
YA Fiction
40th out of 116 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Joanna
Okay so I remember the movie Mean Girls from this novella and all the Miss Popularity-ranking, prank-ing, backstabbing, flirting and all lies that all flourish in high school and this concept has been used over and over again since no doubt, it's realistic BUT like what I felt after watching the movie and teasing the girls when they finally learned their lessons, I'm still amused by The Lying Game and how it all started.

I'm even as eager everytime I watch Pretty Little Liars to find out their s...more
Chopette
Even though this is only a very short novella I knew I had to have it. Sutton although sometimes a complete bitch of a character has always intrigued me and I have embraced her from the start. I couldn't wait to get more insight into the type of character Sutton was before she was murdered. This was a great little novella but it doesn't really add much to the overall series at all. I was hoping for some hidden clues about who killed Sutton but there wasn't any. Guess I will just have to continue...more
Zemira Warner
Oh,Thayer,Thayer. What you do to me... When he pulled the chair Sutton was sitting on... *fans herself* This boy if just amazing.

Sutton started out as a bitch but somewhere along the way she finally started to show her feelings to Thayer and they connected.

Hope we find out she isn't dead so they can be together again though he has great chemistry with Emma.

Fingers crossed Ethan ends up as the bad guy.
 Sudha
A new thrilling side secret series. We finally get a point of view and thiughts only from Sutton, the dead twin. This is the time before the murder and twin suster discovered. Tjis time Sutton has her suspicoins and Emma has no opinion here. It turns out the twins can be quite similar when they choose to. In the end the first lie Sutton kept appears in this book. The action and drama move very fast and the adventure is a small reveal and hopping. Sara extraordinarily weaves a fascinating tale t...more
Kelly Hager
This was a novella, not an actual story. And because Sutton is still alive, there's no Emma in this story. It was interesting to see Sutton as a person (as opposed to as a ghost or to see Emma pretending to be Sutton).

I have been enjoying this series and this novella helps. It's good to get to see how Sutton really was, and I think she was a lot more sympathetic than she's been so far in the brief flashbacks we've seen in The Lying Game. (I think it's also safe to say that The Lying Game is real...more
Christina
It's back to school for the Lying Game girls and what better way to start Junior Year than with a prank! Thayer, Madeline's brother, is back from soccer camp, and almost unrecognisable from the quiet, scrawny kid Sutton used to know. Now he's hot, knows it and apparently still has a crush on Sutton. Using this fact to their advantage the girls come up with Operation Loverboy - get Thayer to fall in love with Sutton and then publicly humiliate him to put him back in his place.

The First Lie sheds...more
Avril Marin
this ebook was amazing! it allowed us to see more of Sutton which i really liked..but it makes me mad how she onlys cares about herself. another thing was that it was wayyy too SHORT when i finished it i was like "Whoa Im done already!?!" So yeah it made me want to know more about Sutton before she died but again this ebook was too short, should have been longer cause i want to read more of Sutton's POV :)
Kez Green
Meave
Feb 18, 2013 Meave added it
I don't even like this series. It's like eating a stale grocery store cupcake.
Olivia
I will admit, I am a huge Sara Shepard fan. I honestly will read anything she will publish. She's probably going to make, I don't know, six more Lying Game books and you will see me there reading them all. I was so excited to read this! I read that it was suppose to be about Sutton and Thayer, who I love so much. This short novella takes place before Emma ever entered the picture, so I was excited to see how things will be.

There wasn't anything revealed in this book, but I did really like it. It...more
Brittany
Oct 18, 2013 Brittany rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The Lying Game diehards
How I Came To Read This Book: I literally read the other Lying Game novella (out of order by mistake) yesterday and wanted to get back in line with the series' order, so I picked this one up today and sped through it during my lunch break.

The Plot: The book documents the earliest days between Sutton and Thayer, and helps shed light on how he would ever come to fall for her, and why their relationship was decidedly secret. When The Lying Game girls dare Sutton to make Thayer fall for her after he...more
Katrina Alcantara
Pre-quel to the lying game series. But it would be better if you read this book before you read the 3rd part of the series. There are some parts on the book that might turn out as a spoiler between the 2 of the main characters that revolve on the 3rd part.

Though the entire series (from book 1 to whatever the series would lead to) do not include Sutton as a "living" person; you'd love to read this book because you'd understand more of Sutton's character.
Everything that she does most especially...more
Lisa Ottone
This novella, The First Lie, was short but sweet. It takes place before the start of TLG, in the summer before Thayer runs away. I was under the impression that it would include the events surrounding Sutton's actual death, but it mostly just depicted Sutton and Thayer's weird relationship. Nonetheless, it was enjoyable and I would recommend reading it after the fourth book, Hide and Seek.

What I liked about this book is that it's different from the rest of TLG because it's told from Sutton's POV...more
Noémy

EDIT 07.12.2013 : Well. I changed my mind and bought it. Yes the price is insanely high. I do wish someone would have just lent it to me. But guys, I caved in because I just love this series so dang MUCH (once upon a time I was completely obssessed with her PLL books as well but now I really am confident in saying that Emma and Sutton's series is my favorite out of the 2. The story just gets better and better). And that's the reason why i was so frustrated when I hit those final pages. I wanted...more
Kimmy
I don’t normally read novellas – for some reason, I’m not a big fan – but I do like this series, so I thought it would be worth a try. SPOILER ALERT for the main series – you’ve been warned!

Here is the Kobo store’s summary:

Back when she was alive, Sutton kept a million secrets. But how she go
Vicki
This novella was a good, quick read. The main character, Sutton, is just a little b----! However, I am going to give her a chance to redeem herself in the first book of the series.

Sutton is adopted and feels like she doesn't really receive as much love and attention as her sister, Laurel. Consequently, Sutton treats her sister terrible. I am not so sure I like Sutton's character because she is what I would call a "mean girl."

The book is short, so I didn't expect any ending to it as it; however,...more
bella
In this novella, Sara Shepard tells the story of the summer before when Sutton is chasing after Thayer - all in the name of a prank for The Lying Game. What starts out as a prank ends up with Sutton feeling true feelings for Thayer, even though she convinces her friends it's just a prank.

I've only read the first two books in the Lying Game series. I've read a little about Sutton and Thayer's history and I was interested in finding out what happened to them. Their story unfolds in The First Lie.

I...more
Marjon
Ik ben de serie The Lying Game gaan kijken, eigenlijk door Blair Redford en gelijk bij de eerste aflevering was ik verkocht aan het verhaal wat The Lying Game vertelde.

Ik zag iedere keer dat het gebaseerd was op een boek van van Sara Shepard, dus ik dacht ik ga eens zoeken en ja wel, ik heb ze gevonden. inclusief dit boek. En jullie moeten weten dat ik altijd bij het begin wil beginnen.

Hoe kan iemand zo gemeen zijn,
maar hoe kan iemand zo vergevend zijn.

De serie heet The Lying game, al moet ik we...more
Toolah hussain
How it all started, mostly..
I love the lying game and i loved this novella.
I think it's one of the best series i've read, i just love the mystery in it and how it was a light read.

I loved loved that it's the live sutton who's talking though i really thought we're gonna know more about what happend the night she died

But we did manage to find out more about sutton and thayer and how cute their relationship was. Even though i found thayer to be a little spooky for me

I don't remember much of wh...more
Leigh-Ann
I was really surprised. This isn't normally my kind of story, but it had pretty good world-building for a short piece and the premise. I have no understanding of brands, so the constant name-dropping actually didn't bother me. What really saved it from being just okay was how it was resolved at the end.
XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL
Apr 17, 2014 XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of The Lying Game
Recommended to XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL by: Goodreads.com
I read this book online and it was really short, but good. A nice little story on Sutton and Thayer and how they got together. I really like Thayer, so I was happy to read a story on them and how they became a couple. But really good and enjoyed it a lot.
Michelle
This was in Sutton's POV when she was still alive and explains the beginning of her relationship with Thayer. There wasn't anything exciting about it and I felt like we were actually getting into some sort of plot when it ended, for someone who's read all of TLG books already it was a big disappointment...
Ash
The First Lie: A Lying Game Novella is very short. I read it in a span of an hour. It really doesn't give anything to the overall Lying Game series point of view with Emma as this one takes place entirely from Sutton's point of view. The main reason for this novella's existence is to show the beginnings of the Sutton and Thayer romance.

I liked it because it was nice to see Sutton as Sutton: a corporeal, fully intact of mental capabilities Sutton and no misleading flashbacks. It was interesting t...more
Lauren
I THINK THE BOOK IS BETTER THEN THE TV SERIES BECAUSE THE PLOT IS MORE INTENSE AND THE CHARACTERS ARE MORE ORIGINAL
Andrew
Nice short novel in this series. Much shorter than i thought. But it was nice to get to know the real Sutton a little bit more through this book, the way she really treats her friends, her bitchy attitude and her likes to pranks...

After reading the first 4 Lying Game books before this one, you got to compare Sutton to Emma and there is a big difference between the two, and thats what i really loved about this book - it gives that little bit extra about Sutton we always knew in the books but now...more
Carrie
I just love Sutton in this. I would love Sutton to show up and make those Glee kids cry, you know she would!
Brooke
Brooke added it
Jul 22, 2014
Sherri
It was fun reading this novella which showed how Thayer and Sutton's 'secret' relationship began.
♥  Erika  ♥
Who knew the short story could be as good as the books! Wow, this short story is incredible.. It is about Sutton's first lie that she has kept from her friends and even her adopted sister, Laurel. This one lie has completely shown a new side to Sutton from being the biggest bitch in town to a very nice, caring person; characteristics that remind me of her biological sister Emma which I never knew could be possible!

Definitely recommend you read it if you have read the other books in the series!...more
Yvonne
You can skip this one. Didn't add much to the story.
Sara Shepard Book...: The First Lie 3 17 Mar 09, 2013 07:50PM
  • Vengeance (Private, #14)
  • Rosewood Confidential: The Unofficial Companion to Pretty Little Liars
  • Summer of the Geek (Geek High, #3)
  • Infamous (It Girl, #7)
  • The Lost Boy (The Iron Witch, #0.5)
  • Once Beauty Twice Beast (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #7)
  • Shift river scene from Zach POV (Shade # 2.2)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • Classified Material (Gallagher Girls, #4.5)
  • The Vampire Diaries: The Return - An Untold Tale: Elena's Christmas (The Vampire Diaries: The Return Extras, #0.5)
Sara Shepard graduated from NYU and has an MFA from Brooklyn College. She currently lives in Tucson, Arizona. Sara's Pretty Little Liars novels were inspired by her upbringing in Philadelphia's Main Line.
More about Sara Shepard...
Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1) Flawless (Pretty Little Liars, #2) Perfect (Pretty Little Liars, #3) Unbelievable (Pretty Little Liars, #4) Killer (Pretty Little Liars, #6)