Start by marking “The Madonna on the Moon” as Want to Read:
The Madonna on the Moon

The Madonna on the Moon

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  19 reviews
An award-winning journalist transforms his lifelong fascination with the world of the Gypsies into fiction with this exuberant, deeply enchanting debut novel--both whimsical and suspenseful--winner of the European Book Prize, and translated into more than a dozen languages worldwide.
November 1957: As Communism spreads across Eastern Europe, strange events are beginning t
Published July 2nd 2013 by Knopf (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Madonna on the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Madonna on the Moon

90 Miles to Freedom by K.C. HiltonThe Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. HeinleinThe Moonstone by Wilkie CollinsMoon Palace by Paul AusterBeneath the Neon Moon by Theda Black
Moon
82nd out of 119 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Nancy Oakes
It's so hard to give a star rating for this book, because well, the truth is that I loved most of it and then got really cranky about the ending, but the book was so just so quirkily excellent up to that point. If I'm forced to give a number, it's like a 3.85 not rounded to a 4.

Well, you'd think by the updates I posted while reading this book that it would have turned out to be something most wonderful and actually, it was -- up until I got to about the last hundred pages or so. Then I don't kn
Aga
Dazzling but I had a problem with the English version of it. Khrushchev was never the USSR president. I can't think this was a mistake made in the original version. Additionally, no version of the Bible used for this translation was given, or I didn't find it. It seems a small thing but there are differences between the versions. Yes, I am a translator by education and pay attention to those details.
One of those books that touch the essence of what it is to be human.
Garryvivianne
Young Pavel lives in a small village, Baia Luna by the Carpathian mountains. He lives with his grandfather Ilja whom he adores & his mother. His grandfather has a very close friendship with Gypsy Dimitri. Pavel narrates the story of the seriousness, silliness that goes on between his grandfather & Dimitri. This is during a time when socialism was creeping into all the villages, & they always thought they would not be easily found. The title refers to how Ilja & gypsy Dimitri beli ...more
Cindy
As socialism comes marching in to a small village called Baia Luna in the Carpathian's, young Pavel's teacher, Angelina Barbulescu, beseeches the boy as he hangs up a picture of the new leader in class, to 'send this man straight to hell.' How can young Pavel accomplish such a thing, and why should he? This act of Barbu, sets Pavel on a collision course with the new dictators who are leading the country to a new golden age.

Pavel lives in Baia Luna with the tavern keeper, his wonderful grandfathe
Trunatrschild
For some reason, this book reminds me of Herman Hesse's "Peter Camenzind" even though I haven't read that book in nearly 35 years. Like a mix of Peter Camenzind and Don Quixote. Though the blurb makes this book out to be about gypsies, their plight or lives are really not a part of the book, though one of them is a main character, this book is not about Gypsies really in any way but that they are human and are at the whim of history like anyone else.
This story takes place in a small village in a
Victoria
One of my favorite thing about all books is the way you can be immersed in a completely different world - regardless of your own surrounds. Buses filled with people, noisy people outside or even your daunting to-do list all melt away for as long as you can let them. And with an ever-growing To Be Read pile, I have in the last few years adhered to the fifty page rule. If a book doesn’t hook me within its first fifty pages, I set it aside. This usually happens about three or four times a year, and ...more
Doug
Apr 07, 2014 Doug added it
Strange events happen in Eastern Europe in the days of Sputnik and Communism taking over countries. Religion, science, ethnic groups, and time all affect the lives of the village of Baia Luna during the changing land scape from 1957 to around 1990. I enjoyed the story.
Phoebes
La prima volta che sentii parlare di questo romanzo di sicuro rimasi colpita dal titolo. Insomma, a chi non verrebbe voglia, già solo da un titolo così, di leggerlo?! Il fatto poi che sia una lettura stupenda ovviamente non guasta! :) Consigliatissimo a tutti, un romanzo fresco e appassionante, che emoziona e diverte anche se spesso parla di argomenti decisamente non allegri. Proprio una bellissima lettura!

Peter Hakkenberg
An excellent read... I was disappointed when it was finished... I wanted more. Set in fictional Baia Luna in Transmontania in the Fagaras mountains, takes us on a great journey from the late fifties to the nineties. A must read for anyone who has any interest at all in Romania and its recent history.
emily
On one hand, I'm sort of a sucker for the small mountain town deal. On the other, in terms of solid characterization, people who talk like actual people, things like that? Not so much.
Henderson County Public Library
Communism has taken over Eastern Europe, but Baia Luna’s remote location in the Carpathian Mountains has sheltered the village from the brunt of the political upheaval. However, when the schoolteacher disappears and the village priest is found murdered, the villagers realize that the threats of the new regime are closer than any of them realized. One young man, who was instructed by the missing schoolteacher to kill a Communist leader, enlists the help of the gypsies who live outside his village ...more
Ton
Goed en leuk boek dat een inzichtje geeft in het doen en laten in een land tijdens het communisme.
Debbie White
This book was hard for me to get into. Not too terribly crazy about it, but it was free to me from Goodreads and looked like a good read, so I gave it a try. Just too hard for me to get into, and too hard to decipher on the English barrier. Nice try, though. Thank you Goodreads for this book as it was a free book from a Goodreads giveway.
Sherri
Unique story of friendship, mystery and the stories we tell ourselves to get through! I enjoyed the writing, the mystery and the story! I received this book for free as a first read through Goodreads.
Patricia
Nota mental: no volver a leer libros de autores escandinavos o eslavos, con nombres ingeniosos
Marielle
Verrassend boek over een klein dorpje in Roemenië.
Ximena
An extra star just because it's set in Romania...
Toon
Je leeft mee in dit kleine dorpje in Roemenië
Mills College Library
Fiction B34495m 2013
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Bets
Bets is currently reading it
Feb 05, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Diantha
Diantha marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
  • Mémoires de porc-épic
  • Tun-huang
  • The Murder of Halland
  • The Collected Stories
  • Visitation
  • A Dream in Polar Fog
  • Gabriele D'Annunzio: Poet, Seducer, and Preacher of War
  • El espíritu de mis padres sigue subiendo en la lluvia
  • In Times of Fading Light: A Novel
  • Il torto del soldato
  • Bitter Eden: A Novel
  • Little Hut Of Leaping Fishes
  • The Journey Home
Geboren wurde ich 1957 in Lenhausen, einem Dorf im westfälischen Sauerland. Nach dem Abitur 1976 am Rivius-Gymnasium in Attendorn studierte ich an der Wilhelms-Universität in Münster Germanistik und Katholische Theologie. Nach der Ersten Staatsprüfung für das Lehramt der Sekundarstufe II unterrichtete ich bis 1985 junge Bergleute im Ruhrgebiet in den Fächern Deutsch, Religion und Politik. (www.rol ...more
More about Rolf Bauerdick...
Die Roma: Eine transnationale europäische Bevölkerung Zigeuner: Begegnungen mit einem ungeliebten Volk