Start by marking “Six Earlier Days (Every Day #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Six Earlier Days (Every Day #0.5)

Six Earlier Days (Every Day 0.5)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  2,828 ratings  ·  324 reviews
In Every Day, New York Times bestselling author David Levithan presented readers with his most ambitious novel to date: Every morning, A wakes up in a different body and leads a different life. A must never get too attached, must never be noticed, must never interfere.

Published November 26th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Six Earlier Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Earlier Days

Joey Balbas
3.5 stars, actually. When I found out about this, I thought this would kind of explain why A is A. I mean, why A's life is like that-- taking control of a body for one day.

So ****Spoiler Alert,**** its not.

Its just A, narrating 6 typical days in his past life before he met Rhiannon.
Aprille
After reading Every Day by David Levithan, I was like what? Coz I had so many questions, like, why A's life is like that? So after hearing that there's gonna be a prequel to A's taking-control-of-a-body-for-one-day i thought this would kind of explain why A is A. But seriously? It's just A, narrating 6 typical days in his past life before meeting Rhiannon. For me, this book doesn't add to anything. So don't bother with this. Lol
Kim
The worst thing in the world would be to pretend t know the people whose lives I step through. They cannot be homes to me. They must be hotel rooms.

Levithan is revisiting A, the character he introduced us to in Every Day. I suppose this is a prequel that needs to be read as a sequel so you understand A, you can see, be, the six different people that A has chosen you to glimpse.

Again, such beauty. One day does not ever seem enough and to stay detached, to try to not disrupt, to always have to be
Greg
Dec 07, 2012 Greg added it
What can I say? I can't really find anything worthwhile here. At least not anything that Levithan didn't already cover in Every Day, only way better. I mean it's pleasant enough to read and Levithan remains a very talented and readable writer, but these are deleted scenes, not even a short story.

What's worse is Levithan breaks apart some of the wondrous enigma of Every Day and tries to explain things and gets trapped in the exposition quicksand. I don't mean he tries to explain why A is transpo
Rose
Initial thoughts: For 37 pages of one-shot accounts, this was a powerful story, and an intriguing lead into Levithan's "Every Day". I felt connected to each of the six accounts, and while it was a quick read, it left a powerful impression on me not only in the narrative, but with Levithan's rooted prose. Great single shot stories.

Full review:

I have a feeling this respective review will be short considering this was a short read that took very little time on my part, but I enjoyed immensely. "Six
Elle (Ligia)
Sometimes I wonder if it is possible to convey so much emotion in so little words. The answer is yes, and Six Earlier Days is the perfect example.

If there is a person capable of doing that is David Levithan. I still remember myself crying reading The Lover’s Dictionary over one sentence chapters. He can say so much with almost no words at all. His work gets to me like very few others have.

This is my third time reading a work by David Levithan and I think it is safe to say now that he is among my
Vince
"It's okay to take a break. You can't push yourself too hard. . . . Because you could push yourself to a place you can't get back from."

How can simple words extract so many feelings? Six Earlier Days is full of . . . I don't even know what word to use with this.

SED (can I just call this SED?) is a quick read. I read it in one and a half hour, but I'm assuming you could finish it in an hour or less (I'm not a fast reader.

Before I read the novella (novelette?), I thought there would be some given
Aryn
This was sort of nice, an extra six random days that belong to the life of A, from Every Day. It was six days, from the age of 7 to 10 to being a teenager. The younger days were intriguing, I wish he'd stayed there, written a few more days about that time in A's life.

However, the self and sexual identity questions raised by the main book were reiterated and made slightly more interesting. This was the pre-Rhiannon, pre-stupid love story, A. I wish there were a whole book of this, rather than jus
Trisha
Human beings act very much like storms when there’s something to say. Very rarely in nature does a deluge catch you by complete surprise. There are the signs before—the sky darkening, the wind picking up, the air smelling like rain even before a drop has hit. With Nicole, the sky darkens when I look up to find her watching me do my homework.

even though it's short, it's still full of beautiful revelations and situations. David Levithan is amazing. I can't wait for book 2!
Lisa
This is a digital-only edition that serves as a companion to Every Day, which I loved. I was hoping to learn more about A here, but other than showing A at younger ages (7 and 10), this 37-page story doesn't add anything. Don't bother with this and just read the main novel!
Wendy F
Hello-Goodbye

And in just those few little pages I'm immediately transported back into A's lonely world. Except this time it's worse because the last life you leave is the story of Sam and Mark and I really liked them. Granted, Mark wasn't really Mark at the time, but I still wanted to know what was going to happen, how it'd play out. If that's how I feel as the reader, imagine being A! Dipping into all these lives and then being ripped away again, never knowing what is going to happen to these
Johan Patrick Sy
Jul 10, 2013 Johan Patrick Sy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Johan Patrick by: Biena
Prequel to A's life. Full of inspiring quotations.

It's like reading short stories. :)
Molly

I plowed through this in one sitting during silent reading time yesterday. I downloaded it immediately after finishing Every Day because I really enjoyed the novel and wasn’t ready for it to be over. I also wanted to read more about A’s life before Rhiannon, and presumably before he set down some of the rules for himself.

The story spans (duh) six separate days, starting when A is 6 and leading up until he is a teenager. We see him inhabit girls and boys, straight and gay, good families and bad.

Brian
I read this right after reading Every Day. I dug Every Day, a lot, and was hoping this would shed more light on things. I didn't really find that it did. Sometimes these companion books are great, sometimes they are a bust. This one was a bust for me.

This is a short read, written exactly like the main book but with a glimpses into a couple of earlier days, age 7 and on up to jus around when the Novel itself begins. I'm not sure what the point was, if there was something there to learn I didn't
Hafshie
A short read, though it took me the whole day to finish it. haha... Well, it's just like Every Day of A's life, new body, new life, new adventure, new realization... Nothing unusual, just more of A's thoughts and feelings about his/her life. I'm still unsure if A is a girl or a boy.

One thing I wouldn't forget about the book is A ( in the body of Paul) and Nicole's knock Knock Game:

"Knock knock!"

"Who's there?"

"Water."

"Water who?"

"Water we doing?"

Haha, hope, you too, will find it funny. :) Or ma
Melody
This is the first work of David Levithan that I've read and boy, I can't wait to read more. I can't wait to read Every Day. I can't wait! His writing is beautiful. The stories are so different yet so fluid. The stories are compact and the pacing is so wonderfully crafted and executed. Best of all, these stories have heart. Every single one of them. A may be in a different body everyday and that's like a Love 101 class in itself. I loved following A as A navigates each body that A is in and the d ...more
Davelowusa
SIX EARLIER DAYS reads like a nicely crafted piece of EVERY DAY fan fiction, with the wrinkle being that it was written by the author himself. There's little artistic reason for this companion book to exist (though perhaps some economic ones), as EVERY DAY stands just fine on its own. I suppose it was nice to spend a little more time with A (40 pages), but I didn't get much additional insight into the character.

If this book accomplished anything, it was convincing me that EVERY DAY lends itself
Alias
For what it was, I think these extra chapters were a nice touch. I enjoyed having an extra few days to spend with A, although in terms of plot development, this had little to offer.

I understand from the reviews that I've skimmed that the biggest issue people have with this story is that it doesn't add anything to the book Every Day, and is ultimately just a few deleted scenes. Now, I fully accept and agree with that perspecive, however I think it's important for these chapters to be viewed as ex
Jen

Rating: 2/5 What

I fell in love with A in Every Day, so I had no other choice but to read the follow-up novella-ish next book. It's only 47 pages though.

What it’s about:

Good question. If you haven't read Every Day, there's no possible way for you to understand what is going on there. Basically, A is a bodysnatcher creature that has to change bodies every day and one day falls in love and has to find a way to stay in one body for her. In Six Earlier Days, Levithan gives us all the nonsense from th
Fitria Handayani
3.5 out of 5

I think this book a worthy light reading after reading Every Day. Though the starting of A's life is still mystery (I think Levithan trying to tell us A was just born into that kind life and we just to accept that and shut our mouth off), this book offers new insights of what it likes being A.

I prefer the dynamic in this book since there's no Rhiannon and A hasn't been such a naive. Though some things kinda bugging me.

Like how the narration got so more mature than A had to represent
Yovano N. (Opan)

Review on my blog: http://kandangbaca.blogspot.com/2014/...

Bagi teman-teman yang sudah membaca Every Day, saya rasa wajib banget membaca Six Earlier Days. Novel ini hanya diterbitkan dalam bentuk ebook. Tadinya saya mengira kalau buku ini menceritakan 6 hari sebelum A bertemu dengan Rhiannon. Ternyata tidak demikian. Dalam Six Earlier Days, David Levithan menceritakan 6 hari dari masa lalu A secara acak. 6 hari yang membuat pembaca mengenal A lebih dekat lagi.

Di salah satu bab, diceritakan tenta
Gie

The novel Every Day starts on Day 5994 of A’s life. In this digital-only collection Six Earlier Days, Levithan gives readers a glimpse at a handful of the other 5993 stories yet to be told that inform how A navigates the complexit
Aparna
I was hoping that Six Days Earlier would explain some of the rules governing A's life (from Every Day), but unfortunately it's just six random days from earlier in his life. I did however think this collection worked a lot better than Every Day... Probably because it didn't have Rhiannon and the ridiculous love story at the center of it.
Char
Apr 03, 2013 Char rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Six Earlier Days was more about the people A inhabited rather than A himself/herself. I wanted more A. It actually made me feel sad, cause it was all about what A had to do for the people he took over rather than what made him/her happy, sad and so on.
Dylan
This was really good. It shows A in some earlier days, when he was 7, 16, ect. Those are the two days I remember most. The last day in this almost made me cry, it was so adorable. If you love Every Day, you HAVE to read this too.
Kim
It is simply narrating A's past six lives and learning how to cope up each day.
I love how's been able to be with each single body.
It is like it is telling us that we can live from the now and not think of what was happening in the future or past.
People sometimes stress themselves too much because of what we do not know in the future.
This book series speaks to me with all the lessons and life stuff.
AND I SERIOUSLY IN LOVE WITH IT.

"Belonging. Togetherness.
These words are as complicated and confus
Mary Ann
I read this prequel of Every Day and I liked it better simply because, these were the best and worst memories of A that tell us of how he learned and realized things such as right and wrong, good or bad, do's and don'ts. I liked how it depicted the different life situations or events of different people. I liked finding out how A dealt with the body he was in for that day and how he handled situations not on his control. I loved how he(or she) is so calm even in the middle of something that may ...more
Joshua Boiser
Oh. So this existed.

I thought it was completely unnecessary but nevertheless, David Levithan's prose never seems to fail at tugging at my heartstrings.
Slavena
"You said before that you were tired. Well, I’m tired, too. Tired of letting everything stay unsaid. We spend all our time together, and we do it because we want to, right? And I guess I think a lot about that, and about us. And about … well, more. Us having more. It’s not about lust or sex or whatever you want to call it. I mean, some of it is that. But mostly it’s about belonging. When I’m with you, I belong. It just naturally felt like that. And I think it felt like that for you. But I don’t ...more
Arvy
Trust me reader, this is A. Funny how today, I'm in a body with a name that starts with A. It's weird because I feel like an eight-year-old stuck in a body of an eighteen year-old. Anyway, this novella written about me is bullshit. And I'm writing a review in Goodreads about it without prior knowledge of whoever owns these funny limbs.

0 stars for zero plot.
0 stars for Levithan giving zero fucks.
0 stars for characters with zero brains.
1 star for me.

I leave this body with weird expectations o
This reveals that A is a boy? 2 27 Dec 20, 2012 09:22PM
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Before (Betwixt, #0.5)
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • Black Helicopters
  • Shadow (Paper Gods, #0.5)
  • Dies Irae (Requiem, #0.5)
  • Hollywood Holiday (Red Carpet, #2)
  • Up All Night: A Short Story Collection
  • Little Knife (The Grisha, #2.6)
  • Resurrection Bay
  • Breathless (Elemental, #2.5)
  • Snowscape (Chaos Walking, #3.5)
  • Interim Goddess of Love (Interim Goddess of Love, #1)
  • Phoenix Overture (Newsoul, #2.5)
  • The Art of the Heart
David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.

More about David Levithan...
Every Day (Every Day #1) Boy Meets Boy The Lover's Dictionary Two Boys Kissing The Realm of Possibility

“Some days are like this. And the only way to get through them is to remember that they are only one day, and that every day ends.” 79 likes
“It's the secret smile you get from knowing that, somewhere, there is someone who is yours. Not in the sense that you own her or control her. She is yours because you can say anything to her, whenever you need to. And she can do the same, whenever she needs to.” 33 likes