Start by marking “Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  198,383 Ratings  ·  21,664 Reviews
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother or t
Published February 5th 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

Win a Copy of This Book

• Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
    Scarlet (Las crónicas lunares, #2)
    Release date: Mar 22, 2013
    Enter to win an Spanish language edition of SCARLET: Book Two of the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, published by Ellas de Montena.

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 3 copies available, 2804 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 14 - Mar 28, 2017

Countries available: US, CA, and AR more

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet, please sign up.

Estela Pabalan Yes this book is waaayyyyy better then Cinder!! Read it you won't regret
    Avaminn F'nett Probably. There's a few sexual references (all from Thorne) but they'd go over a 10 year-old's head.

Emily May
    Dec 21, 2013 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    “She did not know that the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him.”

3 1/2 stars. I do not know that this is actually an amazing book, but dammit, it was entertaining. Honestly, I pretty much hated Cinder when I finally forced myself through it last year. It was a 1-star, ranty hate at all the wasted potential and - worst of all - tediousness. But so many commenters told me to read Scarlet anyway.

At first, I wasn't going to. Seems kind of stupid to read the sequel to a
    Jesse (JesseTheReader)
    (more of a 3.5)

I really enjoyed this installment in the Lunar Chronicles, but I didn't think it was as good as Cinder. I was annoyed reading about Scarlet throughout this book. We really didn't get to know her, we only saw her concerned about her grandmother and wolf. I did love the sections that were focused on Cinder though! I also really liked how the two story lines came together. I'm looking forward to jumping into Cress!
    Lola  Reviewer
    This series is quite special to me.

Some months ago, after struggling with SO MANY science fiction reads, I came to the conclusion that, perhaps, it may not a genre for me. Dur. I didn’t take it well, let’s say, because that meant the hundreds and hundreds hyped sci-fi books out there would most likely not appeal to me either. I know that not every genre can work for everyone, but it’s always unfortunate to learn something like this. I just realized how dramatic my confession must have sounded, b
    Sarah Maas
    Jul 03, 2012 Sarah Maas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Even better than CINDER! I could NOT put it down yesterday. And when I was forced to put it down (yes, FORCED), I could NOT stop thinking about it. It was absolutely amazing. Beautiful and heartbreaking and action-packed and just...wow. Can't wait for the next book!!!
    Katerina
    Jan 28, 2015 Katerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy, dystopia
    “Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Once Upon a Time, there was a little girl (let's call her Rina) who loved fairytales. Her favorite was Red Riding Hood, and she knew this story by heart since she was 2-years-old (everyone thought that this was a sign of her intelligence but in my opinion it was a warning. A warning that she'd never shup up). The girl grew up and decided to become a lawyer (so that people would pay her to talk non-stop) and she came across a horrib
    Jenn
    description

I don't even know what to do with myself right now. This review probably won't make sense, and I'm probably leaving a shit ton out, but here goes.

I was lucky to score an advanced copy of Scarlet from Marissa Meyer while at Comic Con.

Totally me.

I was in the middle of another book which I quickly finished in order to start this. So, Cinder left us with our heroine basically on the run after finding out that she was Princess Selene. Scarlet opens by introducing us to the new character in this univ
    Steph Sinclair

I have to give it to Ms. Meyer for one again combining your favorite fairy tales with sic-fi/fantasy. Seriously, well done! The Lunar Chronicles is quickly becoming one of my new favorite series and for good reason. It has kick-ass protagonists like Cinder and now Scarlet. When we first met Cinder in book one, she was shy and timid, eventually coming into her own strength. And when I heard that we would be introduced to a new main character, I was a little nervous. I was worried that I'd end up
    Kainat Ijaz 《UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT》
    "She did not know that the wolf
    was a wicked sort of animal,
    and she was not afraid of him."

She is sassy and fiesty.
    He is dark, mysterious, and ADORABLE!
    What more do you need people?!
    . . . Did i mention she carries a gun around?? Yeah, you don't mess with that one. ;)

"Wait until morning," he said.
    "The world wont be safe tonight."

Still cant find a perfect Wolf! This will do for now. Who do you guys picture as Wolf?

Now that i have read all four books, i can say this without a doubt Scarlet
    Kassidy
    Sep 23, 2014 Kassidy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    *4.5*

I loved seeing all of the storylines coming coming together and the different perspectives. Things got crazy in this one and it was awesome! Loving this series.
    Sana  Khalid °¤°
    Edit: i kind if realized how much i hate myself for giving this four stars. I have sinned omg, changing my rating to five stars like right fucking now,

THIS BOOK WAS TEN THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN Cinder.
    description

Scarlet and Wolf will be the literal death of me. I'm incapable of writing a review for this. It's just....READ IT PLS.

description

THIS LAST IMAGE KILLED ME. I actually screamed you guys.

I love Wolf so much it hurts.
    I need a Wolf in my life.
    Lisa
    I really didn't want to write this review because I hate being an outlier, especially when I'm being Debbie Downer. I fully expected to love this one. After all, I gave Cinder four stars and by all accounts Scarlet is even better. Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I also have to chalk some of the discrepancy to a change in taste. The things that irritated me about Scarlet were issues I noted with Cinder, only they were more problematic for me this time around.

The first sign that Scarlet and
    Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
    11/8/15 - UPDATED thoughts and miscellany: Still my favorite in the series, for more than one reason. Obviously, I love Wolf. But I equally love Scarlet:

“I just think we shouldn’t judge her, or anyone, without trying to understand them first. That maybe we should get the full story before jumping to conclusions. Crazy notion, I know.”

PREACH. And while most people would react to Wolf's "enhancements" with disgust:

“So are there any other oddities I should know about? A tail, perhaps?”
    Finally,
    Riley
    Feb 11, 2016 Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: audiobook
    4.5
    I loved this book! I don't think I liked it as much as Cinder but I still really enjoyed it. I just love being in this world.

Things I loved:
    -Scarlet/Wolf <3
    -Cinder and Thorne's friendship
    -Iko being a ship
    -Captain Thorne.

I read the majority of the book in one night, I was so addicted to it. I'm very excited to move onto Cress now as it seems to be most peoples favorite.

Bangadybangz
    Dec 20, 2015 Bangadybangz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I don't know why so many people dislike this book. I thought it was cool! Scarlet is competent and resourceful and I really like her as a character, and I didn't find the plot boring at all. I was always super interested in learning more about the wolf lunar people. They're like werewolves but not werewolves because... Science.

Also, CAPTAIN THORNE! Damn, I love that guy. He's like a slightly dumb yet still totally charming Han Solo. I even pictured the Millennium Falcon as his ship for the whol
    Joie
    It’s no secret that Scarlet has been one of my most anticipated reads of 2013. I bought this book the week it came out but forced myself to wait because I didn't want to plow through and then face the agonizing one-year wait before the next one.

Ye-ah, that self-imposed wait did not last very long.

And now that I’ve finished Scarlet, you have NO idea how hard it is to write a coherent review when all I want to do is flail my arms and fangirl about the book. Because it. Was. SO GOOD.

In this retelli
    April (Aprilius Maximus)
    Aug 04, 2013 April (Aprilius Maximus) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2014, 2015
    *4.5 STARS*
    First read - 15th February 2014
    Reread - 13th November 2015

I don't know, for some reason this is my least favourite in the series?
    Kaylin
    4.5 Stars

Overview:

“I just think we shouldn't judge her, or anyone, without trying to understand them first.”

I read Cinder almost a year ago, and was very underwhelmed. In fact, I didn’t really plan on continuing the series. Except bestie kept bugging me about it.

So I started this, a little reluctantly.

And then...

description

THIS WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN CINDER. LIKE WHAT.

Pros:

By far my biggest problem with the first book was how predictable it was. Like we all could all pretty much guess what the dea
    Cait • A Page with a View
    4.5 stars. First of all, I love all of the characters but can we just talk about CARSWELL THORNE. The books are worth reading just for this adorable, sarcastic, arrogant idiot. He is still one of my favorite characters of all time and he just gets better and better throughout the series. His friendship with Cinder is everything.

So this book was actually the weakest one in the series for me but I still loved it in the end! The characters and their stories haven't all come together or synced up ye
    Maria V. Snyder
    Sep 04, 2016 Maria V. Snyder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I usually take a break between books in a series, not this time - I'm binge reading them.
    Sasha Alsberg
    Apr 21, 2014 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    SO GOOD. Just wow, amazing! Marissa Meyer has done it yet again!
    Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
    I put off reading this for like two years because I really didn't like Cinder, but holy crap. I liked this 382827282x more than I liked Cinder. Wow. Wowwwwww.
    Wren | WrensReads
    WrensReads Reviews:

How in the world do people rate this book any lower than a five? Seriously, I'm over here loving Scarlet and her "alpha" personality and everything that she stands for. How do people think she is annoying?

This was me this whole book:

Like literally constantly sucking in a breath and holding it, then after I have processed what happened, I do it again. So again, why you be mad about this installment? Was it because it wasn't only Cinder and Kai's point of views anymore? Scarlet
    Beth
    Feb 12, 2017 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Actual rating 4.5 Stars

I liked Cinder, it wasn't anything magical or something that really stood out to me, it was just okay. However Scarlet the second book in The Lunar Chronicles has made me think again. I honestly really liked this book, I liked the new characters. I can't even decide between Scarlet, Wolf and Thorne because they al bring something different to the plot.

The building of the story progressed really well, I was curious as to how these two stories would entwine, but it was appar
    Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
    She did not know the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him.

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her
    Zain Otoom
    Nov 08, 2016 Zain Otoom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favourites
    UPDATE! Nov 12:
    You know what to do when you can't stop thinking about a book that you finished four days ago and having a slump because of it? And you so desperately want the sequel to it? And more embarrassingly, having dreams about it? Well, you put it in your favourites shelf.
    *******
    ORIGINAL!
    I could NOT put this book down! Seriously!
    I loved everything about it, from beginning to end.
    I couldn't stop fangirl-ing every time Scarlet and Wolf spoke to each other. >\\<
    I absolutely loved
    Amber Robertson
    RE-READ

If Cinder wasn't for you and you don't want to continue the series, pick up Scarlet because it will change your mind completely. I'm currently in a bit of review slump so this is going to be short and sweet.

I love the characters. I adore Iko and CAPTAIN CARSWELL THORNE, aka love of my life. I also like Scarlet. I hate Wolf. I hate Scarlet and Wolf together. But, everything else I love. I feel the whole thing with Scarlet and Wolf happened too quickly and I find him quite creepy. I don't
    Darth J
    May 26, 2015 Darth J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: series

While it’s a little on the snout to both name the Little Red Ridinghood-inspired character “Scarlet” and give her red hair, I tended to like this book. The world built in Cinder is expanded upon and I actually liked imagining the French countryside in this story. Not to mention that this one is heavy with the food descriptions.

figure 1: Ina Garten enjoying Nicki Minaj’s truffle butter

We are introduced to Wolf, who is a lupine/Lunar hybrid and—in the tradition of YA love interests—is
    Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
    *4.5 stars*

I really, really loved this to be honest. There is just something about this book...or SOMEONE aka CAPTAIN CARSWELL THORNE. My only gripe was maybe the story dragged a bit in the beginning. I totally ship Wolf and Scarlet, some would say INSTALOVE, but IDC, I SHIP IT. ALSO, Thorne and Cinder's friendship. I found myself laughing out loud so so much during their interactions and coversations. I feel like CRESS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING (and I know it probably will be since EVERYONE loves
    Giulia
    Now that I've read the second installment, The Lunar Chronicles is probably one of my favorite book series ever, and has made me fall in love with science fiction, a literary genre I didn't think I would have ever liked. After I finished reading Cinder I was already hooked, and I knew the series just needed a tiny extra something to go from amazing to completely mind-blowing.
    Scarlet had that extra something. There were so many things I loved about this book that I better get down to them immedi
    Alyssa Helvar ♡
    Buddy read with these awesome ladies: my gurl, B | |the lovely, V

Rating: ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
    Lead Male Character: ★ ★ ★ and a half / 5 stars
    Lead Female Character: ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
    Plotline: ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
    Genre: Action, adventure, some romance, dystopian, and fairytale-retelling
    Will I recommend this book to others?: Yes :D
    Will I reread this book?: Of course!
    Overall story summed up in one word: Awesome!

THIS REVIEW WILL HAVE SPOILERS EVERYWHERE! PLEASE READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

First Star: Cinder, Iko
    • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
    • Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
    • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
    • Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2)
    • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
    • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
    • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
    • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
    • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
    • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
    • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
    • Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky, #3)
    • The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
    • All Our Yesterdays
    • Everbound (Everneath, #2)
    • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
    • Of Beast and Beauty
    • Kinslayer (The Lotus War, #2)
    I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

More about Marissa Meyer...

The Lunar Chronicles (4 books)
    • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
    • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)

22 trivia questions
    4 quizzes
    More quizzes & trivia...
    “I knew they would kill me when they found out, but…” He struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.” 992 likes
    “A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”

“If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are.”
    941 likes