Capitol Hell
read excerpt

Capitol Hell

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  36 reviews
When recent college graduate Allison Amundson, a small town girl from South Dakota, lands the highly sought after job of scheduler to the newly-elected and rising star of the United States Senate, Senator Anders McDermott III, she thinks she is on the fast track to success.

However, she quickly learns that crazy co-workers, a high maintenance boss, an over-the-top family an...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Beaver's Pond Press (first published August 30th 2012)

The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs by Dana BatePrimary Colors by Joe KleinSammy's Hill by Kristin GoreThe Lost Symbol by Dan BrownDigital Fortress by Dan Brown
DC Fiction
6th out of 58 books — 20 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsGone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Best Beach Reads 2013
473rd out of 2,352 books — 4,150 voters

More lists with this book...

Meg - A Bookish Affair
Okay, let me first say that this book was so much fun! Growing up in the Washington, D.C. area and being majorly afflicted with political fever, at some point in my life, I wondered what it would be like to work on the Hill. I went a totally opposite way after college so I really enjoyed living vicariously through Allison, the main character, in this book. All I can say now is that Allison definitely does not make the Hill as glamorous as I had dreamed that it would be.

Allison is a girl after my...more
Lindsay
I am always a little dubious about starting a new “chick-lit” book; it isn't my first choice genre however, after reading psychological thrillers creepy enough to have me checking under my bed at night I often feel the need to lighten the mood and Capitol Hell sounded like just what I needed. Capitol Hell was laugh out loud funny as well as being interesting, engaging and insightful; it was clear that the personal experiences of the authors added credibility and authenticity to the story.

I reall...more
Cindy Roesel
Thank God, Amen and Whoopee! The 2012 Elections are over! But for all you political junkies out there going through withdrawal, there’s a new VERY FUNNY novel just for you! It’s called CAPITOL HELL and it’s about a gal working for a fictitious Senator based on my real-life neighbor, Minnesota Republican, Norm Coleman. Co-authors, Jayne Jones and Alicia Long worked on Coleman’s 2002 Senate campaign and for several years after as DC staffers.

Those of you in the Land of Ten-Thousand Lakes will inst...more
Teressa Morris
I loved reading about Washington D.C. from the point of view of a wide-eyed 22 year old. I have never been to D.C., but the writers' sassy descriptions helped me to understand the ins and outs of an everyday staffer's life a little better. Allison describes her second day on the job, and her walk to work:

"DC sidewalks aren't the sensible sidewalks found in South Dakota or Minnesota. They're uneven bricks grouted together with large, heel-grabbing gaps in between. After five blocks I'd already l...more
Nicole
The short synopsis of this chick lit novel completely caught my attention: two women who used to work for a U.S. Senator combined forces to write a book about what you really do in your job as a Hill staffer.

Allison is fresh out of college, straight off the campaign trail, and has been offered a job as a scheduler for the newly-elected Senator McDermott. She jumps at the chance to move to Washington DC, get paid much less than she ever expected, work insanely long hours for little thanks, and co...more
Sam Fatality
What's does working in the senate, and then jumping into a presidential campaign train head on make for? I'll tell you what, a hilarious adventure sure to get the driest souls laughing so hard they'll have tears streaming down their face. In Capitol Hell we join the lovely Allison and several of her companions as we make our way not only through the life of being an underpaid senate work, but being risen up to becoming an underpaid presidential campaign worker! Not only do you get to see the fu...more
Kelly Woodward
Really 2 1/2 stars, but I like to round up.

Pros:
* varied cast of colorful characters
* moves at a good pace; is rarely slow or dull
* provides an interesting behind-the-scenes look at politics
* the staffers have decent values, for the most part

Cons:
* needs extensive editing; lots of punctuation errors (including an extra period in the heading of every page of chapter eleven), poor word choice, etc.
* needs more plot structure; sometimes it just feels like a neverending list of anecdotes inste...more
Probably actually 3 1/2 stars. This was a fun read. I liked the characters and the political storyline. And it's always a refreshing change of pace when the dominant relationship in a novel is a friendship rather than a romance. And it ended with me wanting to know what happens next. I would definitely read a sequel if one is written!

On the downside, the writing could use a little polishing. (Way too many exclamation points, especially in the beginning, and not every line of dialogue has to be a...more
Erin
This book was a very funny portrayal of what a young woman, Allison Amundson from South Dakota, who landed a job on Capitol Hill deals with on a daily basis. The book was hard to put down and I finished it in a day. I enjoyed that no matter what Allison does to help Senator Anders McDermott III, something always goes wrong. She has to deal with the gossipy girls in the office and with their snide remarks. Just when you think that things can't get any worse, they do.

This book will have you laughi...more
Jan
I like the book because the authors sent me a copy! Capitol Hell reminded me of my first job, working for Jimmy Carter's Gubernatorial Campaign, then in the Governor's Office. After serving as a go-fer, I was promoted to Prisoner Mail Answer-er. In those days, we typed a letter, and I signed Jimmy Carter's name to each one. It turned me into a Republican! However, Capitol Hell was a fun read for me. I'm into D.C. centric books right now. I no longer think like a 22 year old, so occasionally I wa...more
Jessica
This book provides a lighthearted look into the life of a scheduler working on Capitol Hill. It definitely reminded me of the time I spent working as an executive assistant - the good times, along with the more trying times, of my tenure.

This is a great laugh out loud type of book for women of all ages. Can't wait for Jayne and Alicia to publish the sequel to Capitol Hell!
Christine
This book was really good. The characters did frustrate me because they just took everything and never stood up for themselves. There were tons of Minnesota references that could be confusing to those not familiar with some of the Minnesota quirks.

I won this as a Good reads first and loved it. The authors are creative.
Linda
A very funny and lighthearted story of life on capitol hill. The characters were smart, a little sassy, but yet a little on the naive side. I enjoyed and got a few chuckles from their escapades. A really enjoyable book. I recommend it highly! I received this book free as a Goodreads First Reads
Betsy
Amateurishly written, poorly edited and trite. As a former Senate staffer, I picked this up with high hopes, but nearly tossed it across the room several times. (On one of those occasions, a character "inquisitively questioned" somebody. Repetitious much?) I'd call this a squandered opportunity.
Fiona Ingram
Capitol Hell tells the story of Allison Amundson, a small town girl who lands the highly sought after job of scheduler to the newly-elected and rising star of the US Senate, Senator Anders McDermott III. If you thought politics is all fundraisers and colored balloons, think again. Don’t think Hollywood; think hell. Allison has grandiose dreams at the outset. But her meteoric rise from South Dakota to Pennsylvania Avenue doesn’t quite work out the way she envisaged it. Life on the Hill is far mor...more
Donna Brown
Earlier this year I read The List and enjoyed it immensely (read my review of The List here) but it wasn’t the political drama I’d expected. Capitol Hell offered the politics, along with a dash of humour and a glimpse in the life of staffers on the campaign trail.

I mean, really, it makes you tired just thinking about that life…!

I really enjoyed this read for so many reasons. It was funny, insightful, interesting, but most of all, the personal experience of the authors clearly added a level of au...more
Lucy
The timing of this book being sent to me was pretty rather lucky for the authors. I don’t read chick-lit as a general rule, but I fancied something light, and had nothing on my to be read pile, so I decided I might as well try this one.

It’s been described as a political ‘The Devil Wears Prada‘, and I think that’s a pretty accurate description. In some ways it has more bite than The Devil Wears Prada because Allison actually wants to work in politics, it’s not just a means to an end for her. The...more
Amanda
Aside from School House Rocks! I know absolutely nothing about the actual political process in this country. At least, nothing after 1946. It was fascinating to read about how things actually work inside a senatorial office.

I was struck by the actual amount of work, organization, and ATD (attention to detail) that is required to keep a politician in office and out of his or her own way.

Although this is fiction, possibly to protect the guilty, I can see it all being factual in most ways.

Everyone...more
Judy
My Review: This book will keep you laughing and shaking your head at the antics behind the scenes of a U.S. Senator, his staff and his family. There are just too many things intertwined to even try to tell in a review. If you need a good laugh this a must read. On the sad side from some of the headlines we read today this isn't really a fiction book. I give this 5 stars.
Jaimie Hope
This book was hard for me to put down, which I unfortunately had to do several times during the reading of this book. However, every time I did all I could think about was what was going to happen next.

When I saw this book had a political backdrop I immediately expected the book to be boring and dry. As it turns out, nothing was further from the truth. While the book itself read like a novel I suspect there was at least some kernel of truth within it, which made it a real eye opener.

I wasn't exp...more
Sandra
A fun, engaging, thinly veiled portrayal of a couple of Minnesota politicians and those who work for them. Keeps you wondering how much truth is disguised as fiction.
M
I like chick lit books, but this was really, REALLY bad writing. Unbearable, in fact. Exclamation points everywhere (and I love exclamation points!) to the point of distraction, unvaried vocabulary, and yes, I get it, you're from the Midwest and everyone from there is also a god-send. I wanted a book about capitol hill drama, but it was not even an interesting story. I only read the first few chapters and skimmed the rest. Awful!!!
What a hilarious account of a young Senate staffer! I've known quite a few and can attest to the "realness" of this novel. I couldn't put it down. My only complaint is that the first 90% of the book is written in very great detail and the last little bit was rushed and left me craving more. Hopefully we'll be graced with future novels from this dynamic duo!
Claire Lyman

This book is pretty dreadful on a number of levels. It breaks every rule of writing - and not in a good way - but then what can I say? i am a literary snob. Also, I made it to the end, amd actually quite looked forward to reading it most days, so it must have been doing something for me. It's always fun to read stuff set in that world.
Dave
One of my favorite books of all time! It was a treat to read and I love politics. But, this book gave me an insight into life on the Hell/Hill. A few Minnesota references made me wonder. I will pass this one around. I hope they come out with book 2. I will be first in line to get it. Great and fun read.
Catherine Cardno
CAPITOL HELL is a reasonable beach read. Worth reading in a gulp, but weighed down with OMG!!!-type pacing and 20something dithering. SAMMY'S HILL is a better book, if you're looking for a girl-on-Capitol-Hill read.
Jen
A fresh from college woman heads to Washington, D.C. to work in a MN senators office. This is a story of the craziness of the Senator, his family, and the rest of her coworkers.
Jean
A very funny book -- lightweight, but funny. There were many character parallels with the senator they worked for.n sen Norm Coleman, which added to the humor.
Emily B
This should be a movie! I LOVED it! Fun read, witty writers and the book made me laugh throughout. I wonder how much is true and what isn't true?
Jill Schlofer
The book was a light read but a page turner. It was fun and kept me entertained - exactly what I'm looking for in a book!
  • The List
  • Smart Chefs Stay Slim: Lessons in Eating and Living From America's Best Chefs
  • A Deal with the Devil (Sweet Home Chicago #1)
  • The Fate of the Muse (Marina's Tales, #3)
  • Pitch Green
  • Saving Grace (Katie & Annalise #1)
  • A State of Jane
  • Between Boyfriends
  • The Hope Factory: A Novel
  • Second Impact
  • Falling for Johnny
  • Love in Reality (The Blackjack Quartet)
  • The Drought
  • Marrying Up
  • Blowback (Vanessa Pierson, #1)
  • The Summer Man
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland #1)
  • Merch Girl
Alicia Long is originally from Hartford, South Dakota, a small town just outside of Sioux Falls. In 2003, she received her B.A. in Political Science from the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. Upon graduation, she moved to Washington, D.C. to work on Capitol Hill. While working on Capitol Hill, she served for United States Senators Norm Coleman (MN), John Thune (SD) and George Allen (VA). She a...more
More about Alicia M. Long...